Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inquisitr-"Did Maxis and EA Games just admit the game is a flop? "

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    nilanius wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Sims1 & 2 had expansions in 6 months.

Sims3 had its first expansion in 5 months.

It is now 4 1/2 months...so whats the deal with Sims4?

Or......are they just planning to put out 'game packs' every couple of months at 20 bucks a pop?

Have EPs been confirmed at all? I know they were talking about a GP every three months, but I haven't seen anyone but fans talk about EPs.

Really confirmed?? No, but they did say there will be EP's in the future. Of course things change. :|

I do recall them saying before release that even when the game released, they already were working on 50 expansions... at once...

So we've got number 1: Outdoor retreat - adds a single camping vacation world, and a couple object

So if we go by that tiny bit of a pack...

Game Pack 2: Toddlers galore - new life state toddlers, and a few objects

Game pack 3: family time! - family tree, maybe a few objects

and the list goes on and on. No thanks EA.

Ahhhh you still think we are getting toddlers. That's so cute :p

Honestly, doubt it. I was only using toddlers as an example. I don't even think they can even add a family tree, since they designed the system to completely erase unplayed sims after a while, to a point where it is as though they never existed. So a family tree would not work because past relatives, would be disappearing from that tree like crazy.

Indeed I think your right. What were they thinking with this "sims culling"? It is awful, family and friends disappearing, you try to start up a romantic relationship with someone, get to know them...boom their just gone! :| Seriously who thought this up and thought it was a good idea?
    They same person who thought it was a genius idea to move everyone out of the neighborhood in sims 3. I've gotten so tired of romantic interests moving away
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

Or......are they just planning to put out 'game packs' every couple of months at 20 bucks a pop?

Have EPs been confirmed at all? I know they were talking about a GP every three months, but I haven't seen anyone but fans talk about EPs.

Really confirmed?? No, but they did say there will be EP's in the future. Of course things change. :|

I do recall them saying before release that even when the game released, they already were working on 50 expansions... at once...

So we've got number 1: Outdoor retreat - adds a single camping vacation world, and a couple object

Honestly, doubt it. I was only using toddlers as an example. I don't even think they can even add a family tree, since they designed the system to completely erase unplayed sims after a while, to a point where it is as though they never existed. So a family tree would not work because past relatives, would be disappearing from that tree like crazy.

Indeed I think your right. What were they thinking with this "sims culling"? It is awful, family and friends disappearing, you try to start up a romantic relationship with someone, get to know them...boom their just gone! :|Seriously who thought this up and thought it was a good idea?

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?

culkin-shocked-face.png

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    colton147 wrote: »
    LOL so even Grant admits S4 is not his favorite game!
    laughing-019.gif

His boss seriously needs to pull him off of Twitter, or at least require him to submit his entries for review before posting.

I think people forget that even tweeting is publishing, and when you're using your companies name, ever tweet is a press release. For good or bad, Twitter is not the same as chatting with friends. I think people seem to forget that social media is not the same and just chatting with people.
    You know what? I am thinking about this behavior since hours and - well it's just a feeling - but for me it looks like Grant doesn't care much anymore. He knows very well from the past that we are able to read between his lines. Maybe he got his layoff already? Please, I don't want to start rumors here. It's just a thought!

That or he doesn't have that critical sensor when dealing with the public. You can say anything to friends but when you are releasing information to the public as an employee, you better think twice what you wrote, He got in trouble for saying toddlers would be in game and that begging tweet of his was removed.

Really? They removed the begging tweet? Damage is already done. People had screen capped it and it's still in circulation. And the article last I checked, still showed it too.

Indeed I think your right. What were they thinking with this "sims culling"? It is awful, family and friends disappearing, you try to start up a romantic relationship with someone, get to know them...boom their just gone! :| Seriously who thought this up and thought it was a good idea?

I think the answer is: The game isn't meant to be related to previous sims games. It's something that should run on a mobile device. And those devices have limited space. Best way to keep the game operating smooth, and have room for game packs, is to cut things... like culling unplayed sims, reducing the world to load screens, knocking graphics down to such a cartoon level that even sims 1 sims are all "What the?".

The only thing it has in common with previous sims games, is plumbobs and the name. Beyond that, it can't be considered a true sims game.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Yeah the culling is an unbelievably bad design choice.

What, you couldn't regulate the population by cutting off the random importation of sims beyond a certain point?

You couldn't just give us a hard number for a max limit of sims to work with?

The way it is now isn't even slightly reasonable and they don't even disclose how it works at the onset of the game.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Yeah I know, when I saw a Guru explain why sims and even ghosts would disappear after a while, I knew then, the game can never have a family tree if it will empty the graves after a couple generations. Even Sims 2 has family tree! And considering that incest bug still prevails to this day, I don't want to see my favorite sim's daughter, suddenly get it on with her brother when she and him age to teens. Just... no... But given also the size of the world, to spread the family out cuz I like having the kids move out into their own place, eventually I'd end up with a world completely full of my sims relatives... Then who would they date? They wouldn't be able to date too long, they'd have to hurry the relationship along with townies very quickly or else townie one day the following week goes poof.

The whole thing definitely screams mobile game. Small town size & culling makes it obvious it was meant to be played as a single sim. They added marriage & babies when they dropped the mobile/online thing but left the basic single sim world, then had to fix it in a hurry for release.

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,694 Member
    The thing I find frustrating about the entire culling bit, is it takes away options. I used to have fun messing with Sunset Valley, being free to bulldoze whatever houses I wanted to replace them with my own builds. I would also evict Sims to make room, knowing I could simply restart a new game and those Sims/houses would be there again. Now, we don't really see too many of the same Sims twice. Yes, there are a stock few; the Goths, the Calientes, Summer What'sHer Name and a few others. But, I was going to try to resurrect my Legacy Challenge, by taking my Founder and his second wife, Sawyer, back and have them have their children again. She's nowhere, since she died in my game. I cannot even start a new game to find her. She's just plain gone. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »

What, you couldn't regulate the population by cutting off the random importation of sims beyond a certain point?

The way it is now isn't even slightly reasonable and they don't even disclose how it works at the onset of the game.

All they really need to do is add a button to the UI, along with other options please like aging, etc please - that says Manage Population, you then select household you wish to lock and keep. If that is too hard, then it really is stuffed.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options

All they really need to do is add a button to the UI, along with other options please like aging, etc please - that says Manage Population, you then select household you wish to lock and keep. If that is too hard, then it really is stuffed.

TBH I never needed sims randomly imported into my neighborhoods either.

I think most of us are capable enough to create or import our own townies.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,694 Member
    I think the Gallery was a noble idea, but just like the Open World of TS3, it's borked.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Yeah I know, when I saw a Guru explain why sims and even ghosts would disappear after a while, I knew then, the game can never have a family tree if it will empty the graves after a couple generations. Even Sims 2 has family tree! And considering that incest bug still prevails to this day, I don't want to see my favorite sim's daughter, suddenly get it on with her brother when she and him age to teens. Just... no... But given also the size of the world, to spread the family out cuz I like having the kids move out into their own place, eventually I'd end up with a world completely full of my sims relatives... Then who would they date? They wouldn't be able to date too long, they'd have to hurry the relationship along with townies very quickly or else townie one day the following week goes poof.

The whole thing definitely screams mobile game. Small town size & culling makes it obvious it was meant to be played as a single sim. They added marriage & babies when they dropped the mobile/online thing but left the basic single sim world, then had to fix it in a hurry for release.

This. The neighborhood wanderers are a remnant of Olympus. Just randomly created sims to make the world seem more populated. Not meant to do anything more than wander around and then get deleted when they aren't needed anymore.
  • Options

Indeed, that is true for me as well.

Then add a button that says Generate Random Population for those that don't want to create everything themselves. The code to do this function is obviously there.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member

Then add a button that says Generate Random Population for those that don't want to create everything themselves. The code to do this function is obviously there.

I don't know why they keep going so far away from this when it's obviously an option people always want. It should work like TS2's townie tree/gun worked with NPCs/Townies - if you want your own, create your own - if you want us to create it for you, click the button and we'll create it for you.

My secret dream is that they would do this with entire neighborhoods so we can set stuff up the way we want to set it up.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

This. The neighborhood wanderers are a remnant of Olympus. Just randomly created sims to make the world seem more populated. Not meant to do anything more than wander around and then get deleted when they aren't needed anymore.

You have a very good point. Now I hate it more than I did before. Gosh did they leave in everything from that failed attempt of a online game? Did they do nothing to change it? You don't have to answer, I already know :'(
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    No matter how angry I am I have no ill will towards the team. I just think they have real issues with putting their foot in it or don't realise how dismissing your dissatisfied customers looks to everyone including potential customers.

What I feel now is sad. Sad that they refused to listen months ago, sad that no matter what the community tried they made it seem like they were too good to pay attention and were too busy courting people on facebook and twitter and sad that they have pulled the sims brand through the mud this way. Everywhere you look is disappointment and anger. Did they seriously think some random forum visitors were puppeteering all that?! Of course not.

The problem is with your product, not the wonderful community you have put through an awful situation and made them feel further marginalised by blaming them. As one of your most loyal, loving customers I am totally disgusted with the way the community has been treated. Its a lesson in terrible customer service from start to finish.
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Well I b darn, so they admit they gave us crap at the beginning.
  • Options
    JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    OMG! This article shocked me! 1.) A new Creative Director?! Was SimGuruRachel the old one 2.) Why did SimGuruGrant post that on Twitter? That looks desperate! 3.) WHY WHY WHY is this a shock (if it is) to the Sims team?! Hardcore fans have been saying what we wanted from the FIRST announcement of The Sims 4! Poor sales should not come as a shock to anyone who even looked at the comments fans were incessantly saying they were hoping for in The Sims 4. I get the EPs drive in revenue for the business...but it just seems like it became overload and possibly some greed instead of actually giving loyal fans more utensils and tools to enjoy a franchise some of us have been playing for 14+ years! Just sayin'...
    71rbpi.png
  • Options
    JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    I mean, Simmers have been asking to be able to go to work with their Sims from the start, have weather in the base game, I guess is too much to ask much less pets. So instead we get toddlers taken away from us, pools taken away (which at first was claimed could not be implemented into the game but then all of a sudden was), dishwashers taken away, burglars taken away, cars taken away, etc. I'm just so confused as to how this would be a shock. I DON'T want to see this franchise die out because I think The Sims is an awesome franchise and there's nothing else out there like it...but stop trying to drain every penny out of the middle class fans and give fans a little more of what they're asking for.
    71rbpi.png
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    Another article I came across. Perhaps this thread might have drawn attention? http://www.inquisitr.com/1787803/the-sims-4-free-trial-draws-more-criticism-for-maxis/

So basically was a follow-up. Yep, the future for Sims 4 does not look bright. People who liked it when it first came out, soon grew bored. Or had gameplay features changed midway through because apparently their way of playing is "The wrong way". I myself have 197 hours played, and I believe 50 of them is me trying to force myself to like the game, and 7 is me being in the game at the very end and saying "Okay... what is causing this issue I am feeling? I've defended this game so much, will admitting that I am bored make me seem like a hypocrite?"

Not to me. It's really emotionally hard to realize that someone - or something (like a business) - that you have trusted for so many years has not only betrayed you, but doesn't seem to care. I may not have cried when I finally let myself realize toddlers weren't in the game, but I wanted to. Still do, actually. You are not alone.

Edit: clarity

I'm right there with you with the tears @GrayLady2010‌ . I actually did cry when I realized they were not listening to us. Sad I know for a grown woman but I do love this game. I just can't continue to support them if they are going to push us aside..which in turn doesn't bode well for EA because I think they were banking on us caving in when the GP was released.

Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options

What puzzles me even further is why didn't they have set it up to randomly import townies off the exchange.
  • Options

What puzzles me even further is why didn't they have set it up to randomly import townies off the exchange.

That would have been cool. One of the reasons I like Dragon's Dogma was the pawn system did pretty much that. It was a really nice multiplayer integration into a single player game. This could have been similar, especially if you could send feedback to the creator from within the game.

But sod all that, let's not bother building a real community 'cause twatter is where it is happening now.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options

That would have been cool. One of the reasons I like Dragon's Dogma was the pawn system did pretty much that. It was a really nice multiplayer integration into a single player game. This could have been similar, especially if you could send feedback to the creator from within the game.

But sod all that, let's not bother building a real community 'cause twatter is where it is happening now.

Its not a new concept for EA either.

Spore did exactly that on a very large scale.

So I don't get it.

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member

for me all they need to do is take something like:

the current max of sims is 180
    then the random generator only work until the game reach let's say 140 sims, from this point the game dont generate any more sims, and only the players can add more, and only generate more if the number fall over 140, to make sure the game aways have at last 140 sims, not just goes to limit and random delete peoples and like yours suggested add a buttom where we can allow or not the game random generate sims, if turned off he only will generate the basic needed npcs(gardener, bartender), just random families not be generated, this will make this work much more nice.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    edited January 2015
    JaciJade wrote: »
    hmae123 wrote: »
    Another article I came across. Perhaps this thread might have drawn attention? http://www.inquisitr.com/1787803/the-sims-4-free-trial-draws-more-criticism-for-maxis/

So basically was a follow-up. Yep, the future for Sims 4 does not look bright. People who liked it when it first came out, soon grew bored. Or had gameplay features changed midway through because apparently their way of playing is "The wrong way". I myself have 197 hours played, and I believe 50 of them is me trying to force myself to like the game, and 7 is me being in the game at the very end and saying "Okay... what is causing this issue I am feeling? I've defended this game so much, will admitting that I am bored make me seem like a hypocrite?"

Not to me. It's really emotionally hard to realize that someone - or something (like a business) - that you have trusted for so many years has not only betrayed you, but doesn't seem to care. I may not have cried when I finally let myself realize toddlers weren't in the game, but I wanted to. Still do, actually. You are not alone.

Edit: clarity

I'm right there with you with the tears @GrayLady2010‌ . I actually did cry when I realized they were not listening to us. Sad I know for a grown woman but I do love this game. I just can't continue to support them if they are going to push us aside..which in turn doesn't bode well for EA because I think they were banking on us caving in when the GP was released.
    I really do believe in karma - I've seen it happen. EA doesn't want adults playing the Sims anymore, they just want them to shell over their money to the younger generation, be it kids, nieces, nephews, etc. so they can soak us indirectly. EA may think "there's no fool like an old fool" but I'm here to tell them they are wrong. Really, really wrong.

Edited to add: And when I say "old" I mean pretty much anyone over 25. I honestly think that if one is over 25 EA has no interest in the fact that one still plays the Sims. :(
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    The Free trial 4 months after release is bad enough then I see this pop up on twitter:

It is an insult to us that all of EA's other game have open Beta testing AND using players feedback to improve the game before release. Not to mention they are actually talking to their other customers!! :\

I still if they can reveal all of this about other games why not TS4. BH has been hyped for well over 6 months and I haven't seen it mentioned once they can't talk due to legal issues. I could understand if they were hiding from competitors but they are the only ones making a game of this type. :\

After giving them thousands of my money they are treating us customers like chopped liver gone stale! :(

sorry to interrupt but it twisted my knickers in a knot
  • Options
    Ellessarr wrote: »

for me all they need to do is take something like:

the current max of sims is 180
    then the random generator only work until the game reach let's say 140 sims, from this point the game dont generate any more sims, and only the players can add more, and only generate more if the number fall over 140, to make sure the game aways have at last 140 sims, not just goes to limit and random delete peoples and like yours suggested add a buttom where we can allow or not the game random generate sims, if turned off he only will generate the basic needed npcs(gardener, bartender), just random families not be generated, this will make this work much more nice.

Oh yeah, give us slider bar so we can set the threshold for custom vs townie.

It isn't the actual Sims that bothers me about this game..they are great, IMO..it is everything else that is half baked. The UI is frankly terrible..why does the bloody game pause while I switch aspiration, for example...that is the sort of thing I want to look at while my Sim is staring into space when eating cereal or unsuccessfully trying to get a drink at the bar.

If I want to pause, there is another button for that.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top