Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inquisitr-"Did Maxis and EA Games just admit the game is a flop? "

Comments

• Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Also, the reverse: I doubt many pro gamers worked their way up the career ladder as programmers before going pro.
    What is a pro gamer anyway? Is this a real job actually? I can only think of those guys who write reviews for a gaming magazine but I rather they need a professional journalism background and fast fingers (for the game controllers) than anything else.

Pro-gamers are basically esports players. They enter gaming tournaments, and make a living like a sports athlete. Many also have their own teams and coaches.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited January 2015
    I wonder if the poor sales could have anything to do with the economy? Couple that with the amount of monetary, emotional and creative investment Sims 3 fans have put into that franchise . Anybody brave enough to add up the cost of Sims 3 plus all EP's SP and the Store? I'm pretty sure it is in the several thousands of dollars range. All that investing into a game that never really worked right but had so much creativity and potential SMH. I have Sims 4 and I like to play it because it does not lag...but I really wish it was Sims 3 running smoothly instead.
    I couldn't resists when I saw your post. ;)

I didn't really track my spend in Sims 1 or 2. However, I most certainly did in Sims 3 from the beginning. In that series, just like the previous series, I own all the games but I owned the store early like July 2010. Any spend (minus gifting) was to keep current. But I absolutely loved gifting simmers in the community and I used a lot of "my" available spend to do that. In fact, my total spend for all things Sims 3 was right at the low five figure mark. I am not the "only" person that had that kind of spend and I will say I have a gaming budget every year.

But to cut to the chase just for comparison...
    Sims 3 total spend from 2009 through EOY 2014 is somewhere around $10K.
    Sims 4 total spend since the release of the base game (which was gifted) is exactly $19.99

That my friend is a big difference. I'm just one person and I know there are others. I would venture to say I won't have the same kind of spend for this series as I cannot play it for more than an hour. My gaming budget is most definitely being invested elsewhere. To me this is a lot of money to lose and it really was a given considering this is the "only" game I actually played for 15 years until this past November.

ETA: It's absolutely a given that EA does not have free reign to get all up in my wallet this time around. I want to see a quality product beforehand.

Sorry for typos
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    blunote00 wrote: »
    I wonder if the poor sales could have anything to do with the economy? Couple that with the amount of monetary, emotional and creative investment Sims 3 fans have put into that franchise . Anybody brave enough to add up the cost of Sims 3 plus all EP's SP and the Store? I'm pretty sure it is in the several thousands of dollars range. All that investing into a game that never really worked right but had so much creativity and potential SMH. I have Sims 4 and I like to play it because it does not lag...but I really wish it was Sims 3 running smoothly instead.

I didn't really track my spend in Sims 1 or 2. However, I most certainly did in Sims 3 from the beginning. In that series, just like the previous series, I own all the games but I owned the store early like July 2010. Any spend (minus gifting) was to keep current. But I absolutely loved gifting simmers in the community and I used a lot of "my" available spend to do that. In fact, my total spend for all things Sims 3 was right at the low five figure mark. I am not the "only" person that had that kind of spend and I will say I have a gaming budget every year.

Sims 4 total spend since the release of the base game (which was gifted) is exactly $19.99

That my friend is a big difference. I'm just one person and I know there are others. I would venture to say I won't have the same kind of spend for this series as I cannot play it for more than an hour. My gaming budget is most definitely being invested elsewhere. To me this is a lot of money to lose and it really was a given considering this is the "only" game I actually played for 15 years until this past November.

What an interesting post, thanks @blunote00‌. I'm in a similar position. Over the past fifteen years probably the last 12 or so the sims has had all my gaming budget because I chose not to spend elsewhere because the sims satisfied my gaming needs sufficiently. Now I don't know if I will ever spend any more than the base game price and actually it upsets me. There's not any other games I fancy so I guess my gaming budget will turn into a new hobby budget so will be removed from the gaming industry entirely. I wonder how many others are in that position?
  • Options

What an interesting post, thanks @blunote00‌. I'm in a similar position. Over the past fifteen years probably the last 12 or so the sims has had all my gaming budget because I chose not to spend elsewhere because the sims satisfied my gaming needs sufficiently. Now I don't know if I will ever spend any more than the base game price and actually it upsets me. There's not any other games I fancy so I guess my gaming budget will turn into a new hobby budget so will be removed from the gaming industry entirely. I wonder how many others are in that position?

Well me, I am invested in FFXIV. They got a nifty little cash shop where we can buy mounts, pets and seasonal/vanity outfits for our characters. I think if anything, after I get all the sims 3 expansions, my money will be invested there. I couldn't even begin to tell you the amount of simpoints on sims 3 I had gotten either lol, I went on many gifting spree's back then. But there's no way I can see myself investing in TS4. To me, better to scrap and start over at this point in time.
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I feel you @blunote00, although I didn't put out as much as you did, it was still a big grip for my budget. That is counting Sims 3. All EA got from me for Sims 4, zero out my pocket, mine was birthday gift from my nephew whom bought EA cards for me to use. I should have gifted all of cards but no, promised I will try out the game. Still took $20 of the EA cards and gifted out Sims 3 stuff, saving my dollars for myself because EA have a vision that I am blind to and not wanted to be part of. I am okay with it. :)
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options

Oh there are quite a few. It feels like I'm in a real life relationship I've invested 15 years of my real life in. Actually, way more time than I gave my two ex's. But now things have turned ugly (look at the state of the forums) and papers for the divorce are about to be served. But there is still this tiny bit of hope that we'll be able to work it out. ;)

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I feel you @blunote00, although I didn't put out as much as you did, it was still a big grip for my budget. That is counting Sims 3. All EA got from me for Sims 4, zero out my pocket, mine was birthday gift from my nephew whom bought EA cards for me to use. I should have gifted all of cards but no, promised I will try out the game. Still took $20 of the EA cards and gifted out Sims 3 stuff, saving my dollars for myself because EA have a vision that I am blind to and not wanted to be part of. I am okay with it. :)
    Well hello there fellow spender. ;) It doesn't matter, it still a lot of spend "for them" to lose.

Tbh, it doesn't matter how much anyone spends really. The fact is a lot of loyal simmers have invested their time and money. I don't think anyone is truly getting what they payed for.

• Options
    nilanius wrote: »
    Well me, I am invested in FFXIV. They got a nifty little cash shop where we can buy mounts, pets and seasonal/vanity outfits for our characters. I think if anything, after I get all the sims 3 expansions, my money will be invested there. I couldn't even begin to tell you the amount of simpoints on sims 3 I had gotten either lol, I went on many gifting spree's back then. But there's no way I can see myself investing in TS4. To me, better to scrap and start over at this point in time.
    Did you know there is a daily spend limit of $200 per day for the Sims 3 Store? A lot of simmers probably didn't but I hit it all the time. Then you have to wait until it was posted before you could spend again. There was also a limit on the amount of simpoints you could have as well. You had to spend them before you could buy more. Have hit both. That is the kind of serious spend I'm talking about. Not sure why EA would want to lose that? I don't know where they are going. :\

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Did you know there is a daily spend limit of $200 per day for the Sims 3 Store? A lot of simmers probably didn't but I hit it all the time. Then you have to wait until it was posted before you could spend again. There was also a limit on the amount of simpoints you could have as well. You had to spend them before you could buy more. Have hit both. That is the kind of serious spend I'm talking about. Not sure why EA would want to lose that? I don't know where they are going. :\

That is the question. It seems like a huge chunk of their income from previous sims games must have come from dedicated big spenders and that's exactly the type of people who are so disillusioned over 4. Could they even come close to making up for that in sheer bulk, single purchases with maybe an EP or two on impulse?
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Wow! I never used money in the store, I only used the 1000 SimPoints I got for registering the base game. I also want to register World Adventures but I can't find the code anywhere (I heard you also get 1000 SimPoints for registering it).
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2015
    While I didn't spend that much $$ in the Sims 3 store, I watched a ton of ads and bought on sale and used the heck of out CYS and managed to get the store anyway (they probably made more money on the ad watching).
  • Options

That is the question. It seems like a huge chunk of their income from previous sims games must have come from dedicated big spenders and that's exactly the type of people who are so disillusioned over 4. Could they even come close to making up for that in sheer bulk, single purchases with maybe an EP or two on impulse?

The answer is no. Very few of my Sims 3 friends even bothered to port over to TS4. Others seemed to of disappeared completely. I remember one of the funnest thing I had experienced on The Sims 3, was gifting wars. There were times I'd wake up in the morning to find 20 items in my gift box. EA disenfranchising the big spenders who enjoyed previous incarnations of the sims, I feel will only come back to bite them in the britches. And if Grant's now deleted tweet is any indication, it already is.
  • Options
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Wow! I never used money in the store, I only used the 1000 SimPoints I got for registering the base game. I also want to register World Adventures but I can't find the code anywhere (I heard you also get 1000 SimPoints for registering it).
    You get 1000 simpoints for the base game and World Adventures only. Might want to start looking. ;)

• Options
    MissTexasBMissTexasB Posts: 372 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I have said for awhile that what will tell the story of the Sims 4 success is not their initial sales, but the sale of their first expansion pack. That the free trial happened so soon after the release of Outdoor Retreat makes me think perhaps it didn't do as well as expected. But since they haven't dropped the price of OR yet, who knows. Then again, if they dropped the price of OR this early, it would make a lot of people angry and they must know that so perhaps that shouldn't be taken into account.

However, Sims 4 has constantly been on sales, shops still having old stock that just isn't selling.

I went to my local Wal Mart and they were sold out of the game.

The Wal-Mart that I usually shop at doesn't even carry TS4 unless they are hiding it someplace. They had it at first in a locked case with the game console type games. Then I thought they had moved it to their tiny section of computer games but nope it's no where to be found. I haven't checked the other two Wal-Mart's though.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    You get 1000 simpoints for the base game and World Adventures only. Might want to start looking. ;)
    I really wish we got 1000 SimPoints for each game registered instead of the silly additional content.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2015
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Also, the reverse: I doubt many pro gamers worked their way up the career ladder as programmers before going pro.
    What is a pro gamer anyway? Is this a real job actually? I can only think of those guys who write reviews for a gaming magazine but I rather they need a professional journalism background and fast fingers (for the game controllers) than anything else.

Pro-gamers are basically esports players. They enter gaming tournaments, and make a living like a sports athlete. Many also have their own teams and coaches.
    oic thanks. I didn't know one can earn a living with that.
    Anyway those people don't need to be game developers also.

This space is for rent.
  • Options

Both my girls played Sims as well as my younger nieces/nephews. When they did it was not "their" money that was spent but their parents. Even with my girls being older now having their own jobs, they have no interest in this series. The same is true for their younger cousins who are asking mom & dad for other games besides Sims. Not sure how or where they think they're going to make up this money.

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member

Both my girls played Sims as well as my younger nieces/nephews. When they did it was not "their" money that was spent but their parents. Even with my girls being older now having their own jobs, they have no interest in this series. The same is true for their younger cousins who are asking mom & dad for other games besides Sims. Not sure how or where they think they're going to make up this money.

It feels kind of weird to me not to be saving up for the next Sims content. Usually I'd put aside a few dollars here and there in preparation for either a pack or a store purchase but now.... *shakes*
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Oh there are quite a few. It feels like I'm in a real life relationship I've invested 15 years of my real life in. Actually, way more time than I gave my two ex's. But now things have turned ugly (look at the state of the forums) and papers for the divorce are about to be served. But there is still this tiny bit of hope that we'll be able to work it out. ;)

@blunote00 That's exactly how I feel. Thank you <3
    I think that's what they fail to realise-we've given so much to the sims that it's so hard to break away-but that doesn't mean we will accept less! None of us want to walk away but clearly what's going on is testing the most patient and loving simmers in their mettle. I know plenty who just haven't bothered and I guess at least I know in my heart I've tried-not only to love the game but to try to get heard. Maybe one day we'll all look back at this and wonder at how well things turned out, despite the heartbreak. To be honest I can't even bear the thought of any other out outcome. I love my sims. It's part of who I am.
  • Options

@blunote00 That's exactly how I feel. Thank you <3
    I think that's what they fail to realise-we've given so much to the sims that it's so hard to break away-but that doesn't mean we will accept less! None of us want to walk away but clearly what's going on is testing the most patient and loving simmers in their mettle. I know plenty who just haven't bothered and I guess at least I know in my heart I've tried-not only to love the game but to try to get heard. Maybe one day we'll all look back at this and wonder at how well things turned out, despite the heartbreak. To be honest I can't even bear the thought of any other out outcome. I love my sims. It's part of who I am.

Well me, I've made a decision. They have till Febuary. After that, I am removing these forums from my speed dial on Opera. I can only be patient so long, before it's time to just throw in the towel, and walk away. There are better games out there to put my heart and energy and money towards. And right now (Going to use a Sims 3 reference here lol), it feels like we are simms yelling at a brick wall that has spray painted street art of a guru with a speech bubble saying "We are hearing your feedback". It took uninstalling World of Warcraft, and my account to be frozen indefinitely due to cancelation, and removing every single WoW site link in favorites, to completely abandon Blizzard Entertainment.

I wont take that drastic of a measure though, because I am still going to play TS2 and 3. But TS4, I am fully prepared to walk away with all my money.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member

I started playing Sims a year ago, then bought the rest of the EPs on sale from money saved up. Got a job bought S4, now I don't want to give them a nickle. I guess my "simming experience" only lasted a year.

I have a friend that own S2 which she loved, and she owns S3 but is 'eh' over it .. She hasn't bought S4. And I guess we are near the age group they are trying to target .. but are failing at.
  • Options
    HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    this (albeit single-player) is where the sims franchise should be heading to... instead of devolving into an angry birds ipad game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQeuc7fAYyQ&amp;x-yt-ts=1422327029&amp;x-yt-cl=84838260
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I spent a big chunk of money on TS3. But I still wanted TS4 because it was different and not like every other sims game. If I really wanted the same game I wouldn't have bothered to buy TS4.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2015
    I spent a big chunk of money on TS3. But I still wanted TS4 because it was different and not like every other sims game. If I really wanted the same game I wouldn't have bothered to buy TS4.

You know, I wanted TS4 as well, and I wanted it to be good. I didn't want the Sims 3 all over again, I wanted elements from Sims 3 and Sims 2 with their own twist. Ah well, I didn't get what I was hoping for, but I did get a game that was fun until it became unplayable. I don't want to have to start a new game every three generations or be confined to one lot because of insanely long loading screens.

Edit: The elements I wanted from Sims 2 were the animations and in depth interactions. The elements I wanted from Sims 3 were the open world (though an open neighborhood would be fine) and CASt. Then I wanted new and innovative building tools as I'm not a great builder but I'm a big time decorator.

• Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    this (albeit single-player) is where the sims franchise should be heading to... instead of devolving into an angry birds ipad game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQeuc7fAYyQ&amp;x-yt-ts=1422327029&amp;x-yt-cl=84838260
    Heck you found Sims 5!!!
    I am so gonna get it!
    Thanks for sharing. :)

This space is for rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top