Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims 4 vs sims 3

Comments

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Sims 3.

The two things that irked me about 2 was no customizations and the loading screen. I'd rather have one long loading screen than a bunch of short ones and I hated not being able to mix and match things my way.

I also prefer the more semi realistic look of the nature in 3 compared to 4, although I do like that 4 is brighter. And there is more to do in 3 than 4, not to mention I still have toddlers.

I'm comparing the Sims 4 base game to the Sims 3 base game. Not 4 vs a completed 3. My only problem with 3 is that EA didn't fix it, which makes me worry for Sims 4 players who don't use mods.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Sims 3 is a whole lot better. Sims 3 has everything that we currently want in the sims 4: Toddlers, no loading screens when leaving the house, customization, more freedom and bigger lots.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    RomireRomire Posts: 2,418 Member
    Sims 3 had a LOT of issues to be fixed!

Escpially island paradise, that was a heck hole!
    Romire - Australian Gamer
    An Nurodirvgent player from the land downunder.
  • Options
    Mandie997Mandie997 Posts: 155 Member
    ROMIRE wrote: »
    Sims 3 had a LOT of issues to be fixed!

Escpially island paradise, that was a heck hole!

Skipped that EP not going to lie. It had a loading screen. I think that Island Paradise is the only EP I've ever missed.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited December 2014
    SimsLovah wrote: »
    But the Sims 4 has nothing yet.. Be patient nd wait until packs come out. Its unfair to dislike an unfinished game?

Any game with a $60 price tag should be finished.

It's not even just about the price. There's a difference between a base game with expansions to make the experience richer, and an unfinished game that relies on expansions to finish it.

I don't think that it's unfair to dislike a product that you feel was just pushed out before it was finished. Customers tend to react harshly when they feel like they didn't get quality for their money. Charging full price for unfinished work is sloppy. No one would accept it from other businesses. Could you imagine if your builder didn't finish your house? If a restaurant tried to sell you half-cooked food at full price and then charged you extra to finish cooking it?
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    SimsLovah wrote: »
    But the Sims 4 has nothing yet.. Be patient nd wait until packs come out. Its unfair to dislike an unfinished game?

Any game with a $60 price tag should be finished.

It's not even just about the price. There's a difference between a base game with expansions to make the experience richer, and an unfinished game that relies on expansions to finish it.

I don't think that it's unfair to dislike a product that you feel was just pushed out before it was finished. Customers tend to react harshly when they feel like they didn't get quality for their money. Charging full price for unfinished work is sloppy. No one would accept it from other businesses. Could you imagine if your builder didn't finish your house? If a restaurant tried to sell you half-cooked food at full price and then charged you extra to finish cooking it?

Yep. They knew darned well that it was unfinished. They should have admitted the mistake and dropped the price before release. I'd be ashamed to put my name on something this sloppy and so should EA.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    Lollipop234Lollipop234 Posts: 251 Member
    Sims 3 is a whole lot better. Sims 3 has everything that we currently want in the sims 4: Toddlers, no loading screens when leaving the house, customization, more freedom and bigger lots.

When the Sims 4 wasn't announced, everyone complained about the Sims 3... I played it but it seemed like so many people hated it and didn't even want to play it. Sims 3 clearly had big big issues. Annoying toddlers, besides their goals they couldn't really do much. There were no loading screens but the game took forever to load and badically everything else in the game also took forever to load. Not to mention the game was super laggy with Cast and the open world... It was laggy even on high end computers. The open world was a good thing but all the community lots were basically empty and you had to dance almost alone when you visited a club. The sims looked strange (in my opinion) and seemed lifeless.

Now everyone is like "Sims 3 was the best game ever"... seriously. I wonder if it will be the same with the Sims 4 when the Sims 5 comes out. But I hope not.
    I'm playing the Sims since day 1.
    I hate my username (Please forgive my younger self)
    Origin ID: VanillaxSimmer
    Raines legacy family tree

Visit my simblr!
  • Options
    elvintp10elvintp10 Posts: 268 Member
    edited January 2015
    All in all, The Sims 4 doesn't seem to have sat well with a lot of players. I guess this will give everyone time to purchase and collect all the TS3 store content, EP's and SP's (if they haven't already). It seems like The Sims 4 has been a major let down across the board with several players complaining and a lot of the major reviewers (GT, IGN, Gamespot, Metacritic...etc) giving average ratings at best. The Sims 4 is a cartoony simulation game in comparison to TS3 to say the least, with a few improvements (slightly improved build mode, search feature to look for items) but the cons seem to outweigh the pros by a significant margin and I think it is because of that level of mediocrity, that a lot of Simmers are switching back to TS3 or just sticking with it, outright. I mean, if you're a player who enjoys The Sims 4, kudos to ya. Maybe it just appeals to you and there's nothing wrong with that.

I know that I'll be sticking with TS3 for a while. I guess it'll give me a chance to thoroughly play out the game and maybe crank out a few builds while I'm at it. The Sims 4 seems to be the "Vista" of The Sims franchise so I guess a lot of us are anticipating "7" which will probably come out in another 5 years (maybe less or more) after EA releases EP's and SP's for this game.

Sure, TS3 is full of bugs but we find ways to work around some of them. I'm personally hoping that for the 5th iteration of this franchise, EA works to improve the TS3 game architecture by improving the overall graphics of the game, developing a better engine for the game and work to fix all the glitches and bugs and obviously add on more features and cherry pick the best features out of The Sims 4, because I think they nearly acquired a winning formula with the 3rd game but it just needs debugging from the developers and improvements in certain areas. Till then, I'll savor TS3 because there's still a lot of stuff in that game that can keep me occupied for a considerable amount of time (and I mean years on end) in what could probably be labelled as, the XP of the franchise.
    Post edited by elvintp10 on
  • Options
    CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member

When the Sims 4 wasn't announced, everyone complained about the Sims 3... I played it but it seemed like so many people hated it and didn't even want to play it. Sims 3 clearly had big big issues. Annoying toddlers, besides their goals they couldn't really do much. There were no loading screens but the game took forever to load and badically everything else in the game also took forever to load. Not to mention the game was super laggy with Cast and the open world... It was laggy even on high end computers. The open world was a good thing but all the community lots were basically empty and you had to dance almost alone when you visited a club. The sims looked strange (in my opinion) and seemed lifeless.

Now everyone is like "Sims 3 was the best game ever"... seriously. I wonder if it will be the same with the Sims 4 when the Sims 5 comes out. But I hope not.

I liked Sims 3 from the very first day and still play it. Did it have some issues? Yes it did but all in all it was and still is a fun game.
    Toddlers could be very annoying but we had to option in Sims 3 to deal with or not deal with them. Sims 4, EA decided for us, that toddlers were too much trouble.
    Sims 3 never took longer than a minute to load for me and my clubs were always full of Sims.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Toddlers might not be for you but as you can see theres a huge group of people demanding toddlers to be placed back in the game. So their clearly important and added much to the game. My game took forever to load as well when I was playing on my crappy laptop but now that i switched to my desktop it only takes my game about a minute or under to load up. So loading times may have something to do with your computer. I don't have an issue with cast and like people have said before open world wasnt the problem..its terrible coding..if EA would actually take the time to make their games and not rush them they would be lag and bug free. The sims 4 isn't even an open world and it still has bugs. At least we have mods for the sims 3 to take care of those issues..but still i dont have much lag in my game. To full up clubs I invited friends or throw parties at community lots..gotta use your options. All my sims looked strange/the same as well mainly cause i always used the same premade face, nose and eyes..once I knew how to to work the sliders..making unique looking sims was a breeze. After that i just gave the original sims makeovers to make them all look different. I don't understand how they seemed liveless..they actually have lives outside of your sims life..sims in the sims 4 they don't really do anything unless you control them. They don't get married, they don't have kids, they don't advance in their career..they just get old..die and then replaced by other sims (unless this has been changed). I think they now can have romances but thats becoming a problem sense some simmers don't want their sims having other romances when their married or have a boyfriend/girlfriend..i could be wrong. So as of right now..the sims 3 is looking a whole lot better compared to the sims 4. Honestly at this point i hope they don't make a sims 5. =/
    Post edited by BrittanyChick22 on
    giphy.gif

• Options
    roflmaoxsarahroflmaoxsarah Posts: 4,132 Member
    I have both installed so occasionally I would go back to The Sims 3 but I don't play it as long as Sims 4. Sims 3 has more aspect to it obviously because it isn't a new game and I still find it fun. The two games are different and I play them for different reasons? Sims 3 is great for my generation family/legacy though.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I liked Sims 3 until Sims 4 came out. A game I can actually play properly without game crashing lag and other horrendous bugs.
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it when people use this as an argument: my Sims 3 game hardly ever crashes (certainly not on my 'new' 3 years old computer), I didn't even know what lag was till someone explained it (everything freezing, time continuing; don't even recognize that) and Sims 4 has a lot of bugs at a stage where my Sims 3 game was bug free.
    On top of that it's my Sims 4 game that causes my entire computer to crash each time I go into CAS.

So apart from the fact I've learned to appreciate Sims 3 even more than I already did after playing Sims 4 (gameplay wise), it's also a game I can actually play properly without game crashing or lag (sims don't take hours to eat for instance, nor do they continue a conversation that already ended for the sim they were talking to).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MebriliaMebrilia Posts: 62 Member
    edited December 2014
    Comparing sims 4 with sims 3 is like comparing the fictional book of Dune with twilight... Sims 4 is smooth yes (but don't have so much features is restrained and is empty of contents) While the sims 3 offered open world, Create a Style, Repair man, Toddlers, Pools and all was in the base game... I don't see the point of this thread... One can like or dislike a thing but when in a supposed to be sequel you cut 95% features of the pervious games adding only 2 or 3 new features.. Well i don't see how someone can claim the sims 4 is better....

You like it ok..But to me this don't make sense since Sims 4 is like a demo in content... When i puchase a game like the sims i want content and quality.. Sims 4 just introduced..

Removal of the world of game (and don't tell me the facebook maps in sims 4 are worlds... compare it with any the sims 3 default wolrd map or sims 2)

Several limitation by engine (terrain level don't exist all is utterly flat and feels like plastic)

Bad graphic (ok is cartoonish of course but when i look trees i want see trees not broccoli and the grass looks just green painted terrain)

Multi tasking sounds good on paper but i think is a lie.. Just try to make two sims eat togheder they will begin to chat and they will spend the whole day finishing the meal

Life not in depth enough (see sims disappear, no repair man, limited interaction, no vehicles,no generational play,story progression is a joke, no difference between young adult and adult)

Huge bugs at the point is almost unplayable (things like saving then the day after reloading your save and see your sim became fat)

I can't see how the sims 4 can be better of the sims 3.. And of course argument by the sims 4 defended are always so weak

Things like "ohh but is smooth"
    > Yes it is and is also Empty and the engine limited

or "the sims seem to be more alive"
    > Just because they trow a face motion every second and most of the time those motion are completely out of context? (like laugh when your sim take care of his or her need on the toilet?)

Around the home there is so much life sims evrywhere "yes and doing nothing more than randomly passing by following premade paths"

So in the end.. no The sims 3 is way much better
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2014

The only thing I complain about in Sims 3 are the bugs. Other flaws I don't complain about, I live with them (limited CAS for example, and crippled story progression). There have been things I complained about that have been solved (being able to set supernatural life in your game, the possibility to disable the celebrity system).

About toddlers: they aren't annoying in my game. They are sweet and funny and when I take care of them they never cry. They just don't. I feed them, I make sure they sleep well and when they are awake I keep them occupied. When they wake up while their parents are still asleep they make the funniest little sounds and talk to themselves as long as they're not hungry. Maybe it has to do with the fact I raised real toddlers and I'm all experienced but they are never trouble in my game.
    My game takes ten minutes to load and then I can play. No more loading time if I don't travel. And the game isn't laggy at all. It just isn't. Must add I don't have tons of cc and no major mods installed. Community lots have at least five (or more) other sims that do all kinds of things and are full of life. Puddingfaces aren't the most attractive creatures in the world but always better than the cartoony identical characters in 4. And my own sims aren't puddingfaces, they look fine to me.
    And concerning 'besides their goals they couldn't really do much', are you serious? I played twenty generations and each generation did different things with their lifes.

Sims 3 isn't the best game ever, I think Sims 2 was equally good in a different way. Both games could be exceeded, but Sims 4 certainly didn't.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Mebrilia wrote: »
    Comparing sims 4 with sims 3 is like comparing the fictional book of Dune with twilight... Sims 4 is smooth yes (but don't have so much features is restrained and is empty of contents) While the sims 3 offered open world, Create a Style, Repair man, Toddlers, Pools and all was in the base game... I don't see the point of this thread... One can like or dislike a thing but when in a supposed to be sequel you cut 95% features of the pervious games adding only 2 or 3 new features.. Well i don't see how someone can claim the sims 4 is better....

You like it ok..But to me this don't make sense since Sims 4 is like a demo in content... When i puchase a game like the sims i want content and quality.. Sims 4 just introduced..

Removal of the world of game (and don't tell me the facebook maps in sims 4 are worlds... compare it with any the sims 3 default wolrd map or sims 2)

Several limitation by engine (terrain level don't exist all is utterly flat and feels like plastic)

Bad graphic (ok is cartoonish of course but when i look trees i want see trees not broccoli and the grass looks just green painted terrain)

Multi tasking sounds good on paper but i think is a lie.. Just try to make two sims eat togheder they will begin to chat and they will spend the whole day finishing the meal

Life not in depth enough (see sims disappear, no repair man, limited interaction, no vehicles,no generational play,story progression is a joke, no difference between young adult and adult)

Huge bugs at the point is almost unplayable (things like saving then the day after reloading your save and see your sim became fat)

I can't see how the sims 4 can be better of the sims 3.. And of course argument by the sims 4 defended are always so weak

> Just because they trow a face motion every second and most of the time those motion are completely out of context? (like laugh when your sim take care of his or her need on the toilet?)

Around the home there is so much life sims evrywhere "yes and doing nothing more than randomly passing by following premade paths"

FINALLY...SOMEONE GETS IT!!

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

• Options
    ronnigirl67ronnigirl67 Posts: 209 Member
    I have to agree with @astridentanja My Sims 3 game has never been laggy and the only crash I've ever had was due to my own error (conflicting mods)!! It takes less than 10 minutes for me to load and I'm good to go for hours! And the only noticeable bug I have is "invisible" sims. It rarely happens though and it's easy to fix when it does! My relationships also work properly in 3. They don't in 4 and it's become a real game killer for me!! :(
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I never had problems with TS3. Except with some corrupted custom content that caused me to reset my whole game from Day 1.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @BrittanyChick22
    Toddlers might not be for you but as you can see theres a huge group of people demanding toddlers to be placed back in the game. So their clearly important and added much to the game. My game took forever to load as well when I was playing on my crappy laptop but now that i switched to my desktop it only takes my game about a minute or under to load up. So loading times may have something to do with your computer. I don't have an issue with cast and like people have said before open world wasnt the problem..its terrible coding..if EA would actually take the time to make their games and not rush them they would be lag and bug free. The sims 4 isn't even an open world and it still has bugs. At least we have mods for the sims 3 to take care of those issues..but still i dont have much lag in my game. To full up clubs I invited friends or throw parties at community lots..gotta use your options. All my sims looked strange/the same as well mainly cause i always used the same premade face, nose and eyes..once I knew how to to work the sliders..making unique looking sims was a breeze. After that i just gave the original sims makeovers to make them all look different. I don't understand how they seemed liveless..they actually have lives outside of your sims life..sims in the sims 4 they don't really do anything unless you control them. They don't get married, they don't have kids, they don't advance in their career..they just get old..die and then replaced by other sims (unless this has been changed). I think they now can have romances but thats becoming a problem sense some simmers don't want their sims having other romances when their married or have a boyfriend/girlfriend..i could be wrong. So as of right now..the sims 3 is looking a whole lot better compared to the sims 4. Honestly at this point i hope they don't make a sims 5. =/

I absolutely agree with you on this point. The games certainly do feel rushed speaking in terms of development. They need to focus on developing a new engine, improving the game's AI and improving on the architecture they created in The Sims 3. I hope they take the lessons of this game to heart and make a better game. There's no doubt that they will make a new game but if they do, I just hope they don't cobb some stuff up together just because their marketing department is hustling them to come out with a new product. Let the programmers, graphic designers and developers do their work in peace and come out with a new blind blowing game.
    Post edited by elvintp10 on
  • Options
    CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    Mebrilia wrote: »

Agree
  • Options
    stewielover1992stewielover1992 Posts: 308 Member
    I felt the opposite way. After playing the sims 3 again, I can't go back. It's a slow and ugly game. I don't care how much content it has if I can't stand looking at it. I feel like I wasted so much on those expansion packs I barely played.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Could somebody please lock this thread? :P
    This necro is beyond appropriate.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    The topic is still relevant.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    And this thread's only been active for 2 months, not 2 years.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    It's all a matter of opinion. Some people like Sims 3 some like Sims 4....to each their own. I feel like we're comparing apples with oranges. As the Sims 3 is complete and Sims 4 is only base game. For a series that's been running for over a decade, I think it has to be challenging to find content to keep Simmers happy as we're all used to older EP's such as Pets, Seasons, etc.
    I'm bored out of my mind with Sims 4....so I switched back to Sims 3 and Sims 2 until EA brings some content that can hold my attention. But I definitely can understand the debate from both perspectives regarding Sims 3 vs. Sims 4.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    emenemms wrote: »
    so before today i was totally for the sims 4, thought it was so much better than TS3. cleaner, updated, quicker loading times, but today i went back to TS3, and i have to say, i don't know if i will be playing TS4 again for awhile.
    until i launched TS3 today for the first time in forever, i decided TS3 is outdated and just really sucks, too many glitches. WRONG. its just a better game. i fell in love all over again with the open world and the variety of entertainment items like pool tables and POOLS. a zombie wandered up to my house and i missed supernatural and the other EPs. I realized i just like TS3 more. its just simply more enjoyable. TS4 feels so restricted after playing TS3 today. I am once again looking for new sims 3 cc and updating my mods, i will be sticking to TS3 for awhile.

Whats your opinion? played TS3 recently? how do you compare it to TS4?

Sims 4 doesn't really appeal to me yet, but I'm going to give it a chance. It's only really just begun after all. We can't really compare anything other than the base games. [ of course TS3 wins that hands down]

I also remember not enjoying TS3 when it first came out, but now it's a whole different story.. I think TS2 was the only game in the Sims series that amazed me first go. Going from TS1 to TS2 I felt nothing but enjoyment.

I can't play TS3 because of the lag, and I don't understand why. My computer can handle all the sims games, SKYRIM, etc. but soon as I uninstall the game and decide to go back to it the same game I've played for ages with no lag suddenly lags. >-> cursed TS4 the reason I uninstalled in the first place.

--

Anyway, not every game is for everyone. I don't think we can write this game off yet.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top