The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

sims 4 vs sims 3

Comments

• Options
    AnaCecilia63AnaCecilia63 Posts: 190 Member
    Sims 3, definitely, base game alone.
    My Tumblr
    My Blog
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win". ~ Mahatma Gandhi.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,874 Member
    Both Sims 4 and Sims 3 have advantages and disadvantages over each other. Sims 4 seems much more stable and the Sims seem much more alive, CAS is much better. Sims 3- you had open world and CAST (particular a color world). To me, Sims 4 is a players paradise, and Sims 3 is a builders paradise.

Maybe one day we will get a game that truly combines the best of all the games. For now, I think we have some really great games, but we don't have a "best of" version quite yet.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    mel_d_1992mel_d_1992 Posts: 85 New Member
    I think TS2 will always be my favourite. I had really high hopes for TS3 but always felt quite disappointed in each EP, mainly because the game (for me, anyway) was so slow and laggy and it froze every few seconds. That said, there were a lot of good things about it; horses, the open world, being able to have things like 'girlfriend', 'fiance' in create a sim.

I am enjoying TS4, looking forward to the first EP to come out, whenever that will be. I hope we get EPs similar to TS2 Open for Business, Bon Voyage and Nightlife.
  • Options
    Epx998Epx998 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited October 2014
    > @colton147 said:
    > Comparing the Sims 3 with expansions, stuff pack, and store content with the Sims 4 which has no expansions, stuff packs, or any store content...
    >
    > That is quite unfair to be honest. ;)
    >
    > Now if you excuse me, I am going to get some popcorn.
    >
    > Dang bird... :'(

It shouldn't be. The next generation of a game should be superior in every aspect of its predecessor - regardless of expansions. Within minutes of playing Sims4 for the 1st time, I realized 3 major drawbacks;

1. Cannot customize colors.
    2. No toddlers
    3. No pools.

Sims3 is superior merely on those aspects. The ONLY functional part of the game that is improved in Sims4 from Sims3, from my playing perspective, is the complete rooms options and stretching walls.

Cheers
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I find all 4 of the sims games charming and fun. I will not compare as it would be unfair to compare Sims 4 which has just started to any of the completed Sims 1 - 2 or 3. They are all different - so i guess it depends on what floats your boat at the time. But i refuse to play that game anymore. I don't want to compare anymore than i want to complain doing that - and make myself miserable for months. I did that when Sims 2 came out as it had missing features i loved in Sims 1 - even though it had features Sims 1 lacked it did not keep me from missing things in Sims 1 - especially when we never got them in the completed game. Then I repeated that missing "c.rap" with Sims 3 's game and was miserable because of it. Finally i stopped comparing when I realized just because it has the name Sims in it's title does not mean it will have anything from a former series. That it will be it's own game - other wise what is the point of moving on to a new series?

Now when i see complaints like no open world, not CASt, or no Sims 2 behaviors and humor, or no Superstar careers or real Makin Magic charm - I just shake my head. Instead of comparing I think of each as it's own thing and relish seeing where the eps lead us. Now if i could just get another Sims 1 collection that would work well on a modern pc - i could enjoy each game for what it is and not be constantly hating each one for what it is not.

All I do know is any one of the Sims series has given me endless hours of joy and fun - even though not one was perfect - each had a downside - but thankfully it seemed when one was missing something i really liked - it offered something else i learned to love to. Would I love a sims game with all the things i love in it? Of course I would - but the fact is that would be impossible because the games are made for players and we players just cannot agree on everything we like or don't like in a game. Just like i don't see Cast gone as a big deal because I know keeping all those patterns and colors eventually bogged thing down, so the game took a lot of maintenance on my part to keep it less laggy and troublesome. I know lots of people used a lot of mods - but tell me - what if there were no mods to aid you? How great is the game then and all the things you want in the game that is really troublesome to people without those mods?

Needless to say I had fun in Sims 3, in Sims 2, and in Sims 1. I am having fun in Sims 4 - even though I do miss toddlers over anything else. I actually love the fact teens are taller - as are real life teens I know, and that elders look more like real elders do in real life. I don't see a need for firemen with the new sprinkler system or police and I am glad the repo man and thief is gone. So like i said, EA could never make the perfect sims game for everybody as we do not agree what is perfect. It is better to just find what you like in a series and enjoy it and stop the comparisons. Want those feature, then play the series that has them. Seems like the only reasonable answer to me. But I will not compare - I am having fun and I am eager for EPs to start to see where this series goes. I will never hate on any of the former Sims series or wish this one was any of those. I will just enjoy each one - at least Sims 2, 3, and 4 as i don't have Sims 1 anymore. Wish I did.

@Writin_Reg This is exactly how I feel. I felt the same when S2 came out, and the same when S3 came out. This is why I learned to get over the 'missing features' phenomenon. I enjoy S4 for what it is. I don't recall any base game ever being perfect. They were just fun for their own reasons. Thank you for your objective view.

As for S1, I run it fine on the modern systems. May I ask what issue you are running into so I may try to see if I can help? I know of a few hoops you have to jump through to get it running on some machines.

Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    TS4 becomes boring if you play it too much. It is too driven by mini quests if you will. There isn't really that much to do either. I played it for 2 weeks non stop when I got it when I was gaming. I found it lacking. The Sims 3 I played constantly right up until the expansions and stuff backs started releasing. Then the glitchy bugs began as more expansions and stuff packs released. But still I endured it.

The Sims 2 I play and replay..been playing it for years. Still play it. Right now I play Archeage (regenerating my labor points, because there is just so much to do and I run low). Though I can't raise a family in AA, I can however do a lot of things that seem more dollhouse/sandbox than the Sims 4.

If I had an itch to play Sims, it would be either 2 or 3. Sims 4 I will make a Sim, build a house, and play for maybe a hour or less and I shut it off.

I can't really pitch Sims 3 against Sims 4...Because Sims 4 seems more like an mini MMO than a sims game...with all those mini quests.
  • Options
    TotalDramaSimTotalDramaSim Posts: 96 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Meh. When I lose interest in S4 but still need a sim-fix, I'll be loading S2 like I've been doing ever since S3's release. Every time I load S3, I stare at it for a few minutes and then shut it off in disgust. The list of reasons why I don't like it is far too long and I already said why when it first came out. Right now, I love building in S4 a lot. The more I build, the more I love that aspect. But my real love is still with S2.
    Nothing's better than The Sims 2 :heart_eyes:
  • Options
    TheWorld_7TheWorld_7 Posts: 12 New Member
    edited October 2014
    I have to say TS3, I like most of the additions from TS4 but it lacks the Create a Style and other things I can't add in a single comment, but when it comes to being completely open world, TS3 has my vote.
    2 and 3 will always be my favorites, but if 4 has all the features 2 does, then I would enjoy it even more. Don't know about the glitches on three, haven't really encountered any except for the graduation glitch in university, and the graphics seem okay, but I will agree that the game is a resource hog.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    look, it's a complete game. If you like it, play it. But that doesn't diminish what makes 4 better than 3 for those of us who prefer it. The sims in 4 are better b/c of the way they act. The world and customization in 3 are better b/c they are there.

To me 4 is better than 3 and 2 is better than 4

This such a silly excuse to say. Sims 3 is a complete game sims 4 is not. That's not going to change what it's hated as a game by so many people. I really don't get the reasoning behind people making such an excuse for the game since sims 2. You can't compare the games to the one before because it's complete.

If any developer didn't do this they'd never learn from mistakes, and they'd just repeat the same mistakes over and over into the next series. You make series games you do comparisons from the series before to see where you would like to take the game next. If dev's do that than surely you would think the fanbase would make the comparisons as well.

It's progress. With sims 4 though it's just simple greed. We've already proven time and again the mmo version of the sims is unpopular with it's fanbase. Yet they alienate a huge portion of this fanbase trying recycle a failed mmo into a single player game. Had they learned previously not from simcity online but from Sims Online in the first placed they'd learn just how much the game would lack in content and what you could not be able to do with sims. So already a past comparison was over looked and mistake was not learned from.

To go on into sims 4 and rush the rest of it out without even scrapping fully the mmo and starting completely over was ridiculous. Yet here we are today, sales tanking and sims 4 hated by many because it's play has alienated so many groups. On top of that people expect you not to compare the game to it's predecessors on the failed excuse that it's brand new. I don't think so, all the more reason to compare. Even if i took this game for what it is and just compared I'd say for a simulation sandbox game it terrible hands down. There is no progression in the simulation game, no advancement, or innovation. The game isn't even tactile or intuitive, like it was so horribly advertised to be over and over. Already people are making demands for a cash shop and or expansions because they are bored with the game. Many simmers have returned back to sims 3 because the game just can't cut it. You think we should not do comparisons to prevent this from happening in the future, if there is one? Please all the more so compare fanbase, compare and require better cause you'll never get better if you don't have some kind of quality or standard. Clearly by them releasing a game developed in only 1.5 years time they feel we'll buy anything.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I find all 4 of the sims games charming and fun. I will not compare as it would be unfair to compare Sims 4 which has just started to any of the completed Sims 1 - 2 or 3. They are all different - so i guess it depends on what floats your boat at the time. But i refuse to play that game anymore. I don't want to compare anymore than i want to complain doing that - and make myself miserable for months. I did that when Sims 2 came out as it had missing features i loved in Sims 1 - even though it had features Sims 1 lacked it did not keep me from missing things in Sims 1 - especially when we never got them in the completed game. Then I repeated that missing "c.rap" with Sims 3 's game and was miserable because of it. Finally i stopped comparing when I realized just because it has the name Sims in it's title does not mean it will have anything from a former series. That it will be it's own game - other wise what is the point of moving on to a new series?

Now when i see complaints like no open world, not CASt, or no Sims 2 behaviors and humor, or no Superstar careers or real Makin Magic charm - I just shake my head. Instead of comparing I think of each as it's own thing and relish seeing where the eps lead us. Now if i could just get another Sims 1 collection that would work well on a modern pc - i could enjoy each game for what it is and not be constantly hating each one for what it is not.

All I do know is any one of the Sims series has given me endless hours of joy and fun - even though not one was perfect - each had a downside - but thankfully it seemed when one was missing something i really liked - it offered something else i learned to love to. Would I love a sims game with all the things i love in it? Of course I would - but the fact is that would be impossible because the games are made for players and we players just cannot agree on everything we like or don't like in a game. Just like i don't see Cast gone as a big deal because I know keeping all those patterns and colors eventually bogged thing down, so the game took a lot of maintenance on my part to keep it less laggy and troublesome. I know lots of people used a lot of mods - but tell me - what if there were no mods to aid you? How great is the game then and all the things you want in the game that is really troublesome to people without those mods?

Needless to say I had fun in Sims 3, in Sims 2, and in Sims 1. I am having fun in Sims 4 - even though I do miss toddlers over anything else. I actually love the fact teens are taller - as are real life teens I know, and that elders look more like real elders do in real life. I don't see a need for firemen with the new sprinkler system or police and I am glad the repo man and thief is gone. So like i said, EA could never make the perfect sims game for everybody as we do not agree what is perfect. It is better to just find what you like in a series and enjoy it and stop the comparisons. Want those feature, then play the series that has them. Seems like the only reasonable answer to me. But I will not compare - I am having fun and I am eager for EPs to start to see where this series goes. I will never hate on any of the former Sims series or wish this one was any of those. I will just enjoy each one - at least Sims 2, 3, and 4 as i don't have Sims 1 anymore. Wish I did.

@Writin_Reg This is exactly how I feel. I felt the same when S2 came out, and the same when S3 came out. This is why I learned to get over the 'missing features' phenomenon. I enjoy S4 for what it is. I don't recall any base game ever being perfect. They were just fun for their own reasons. Thank you for your objective view.

As for S1, I run it fine on the modern systems. May I ask what issue you are running into so I may try to see if I can help? I know of a few hoops you have to jump through to get it running on some machines.

Hi - well now I don't have the Sims 1 at all - but the last time i tried it on my previous pc some 4 years ago, - it gave me trouble with Windows 7 as an operating system. So i ended up giving the whole set back to my Godson. I did try to play it in compatiability mode - but it was Windows 7 home and it just did not want to work. Hubby was able to play it on Windows 7 Pro - but that version comes with comaptiability for just about anything.

I appreciate you thinking of me though, but I would need to get the whole thing all over again now to try it again - I have a different pc, and all, but my Godson no longer lives in the area and I am not even sure he has it anymore. It was mine originally, but i gave everything to him back when Sims 2 had been out a couple years.

But thanks anyway.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ElizaDeathXZombieElizaDeathXZombie Posts: 3 New Member
    Sims 4 is growing on me but of course Sims 3 is better. I think what I love most about Sim 3 is being able to customize basically EVERYTHING. All though I do enjoy Create-A-Sim from 4. Waiting on expansion packs for 4 so I can have a little more variety than I have right now.
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    Sims 4! I feel like my sims are so much more alive than they were in The Sims 3!
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    TS4 needs prayers... and another year of developing.
  • Options
    SimsLovahSimsLovah Posts: 394 Member
    But the Sims 4 has nothing yet.. Be patient nd wait until packs come out. Its unfair to dislike an unfinished game?
  • Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    SimsLovah wrote: »
    But the Sims 4 has nothing yet.. Be patient nd wait until packs come out. Its unfair to dislike an unfinished game?

You must work for Electronic Arts...

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    A basegame shouldn't be unfinished should it?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member

Yes! Sims 4 is an ongoing project, but I would have wished for some different things and perhaps for more stuff in the base game. I'm waiting for more stuff and am excited!
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member

Sorry, Bubba...that dawg don't hunt.

This chihuahua ain't payin' for EPs to add back stuff that should have come in the base game to begin with. Not no way, not no how. And yes, it's very fair to dislike an unfinished game when the base games of the other 3 that came before it are so much better...and that's without expansion packs.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    I liked Sims 3 until Sims 4 came out. A game I can actually play properly without game crashing lag and other horrendous bugs.
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    A basegame shouldn't be unfinished should it?

No, it shouldn't. Base games should be games that are playable on their own. EPs etc are enhancements, extras. They weren't meant to be necessary for the game to feel finished. Until ts4, that is.

toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Um.. 1.24 million sales vs. 10 million sales?
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,924 Member
    Sims4 is a novelty. It's okay. I'll pay for things as I can get them for dirt cheap. That stylized crap needs to go. I like the look of the new sims, but the stylized world...yuck. I like the sims interactions. Maybe when there's more content... Still not sure if it can beat sims2. And, I like 3 better atm.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Sims 3 just because yes had been said enough why.
    Not seeing the potential being as good as Sims 3 do.
    I can only compare Sims 4 with Sims 1 and still Sims 1 is more a Life Simulator just because it have the simple Vehicle pick up animation and its the first Sims Games ever made.
    Now end of the Story, this thread is old and we know who won, alone from all the ratings... Sims 4 is the worst rated to all the other Base Games. Just saying

• Options
    Mandie997Mandie997 Posts: 155 Member
    TS2 > TS3 > TS4

or

TS4 < TS3 < TS2

:)
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    I'm probably going to be playing all of the sims games (although the ones that load the quickest will be played more often, likely). Still need to grab some of the TS3 store content I want before they close up shop (and at the same time trying to get my hands on Rosalina, Pit and Shulk amiibo, this is gonna be a nightmare LOL)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top