Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is TS4 the Result of Sims Fans' Mixed Messages?

nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
edited December 2014 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
When EA came out with TS4's non-standard careers, fans (like me) screamed "We want NORMAL careers", and so EA is patching them in. Now with a patch only days/weeks away I've been reading a lot of "Now give us mermaids, dinosaurs, elves, etc." alongside fan posts (like mine) "Give us toddlers, realistic life stages, family trees, etc."

So what if the whole marketing campaign and game itself are just a compromise between two extremes? And if so, then how will this affect the don't you dare, but hurry up and do it DLC? Would we get a weird compromise with that as well?

And who is the dominant fan base anyway?

Edit: Is there a forum bug? My general discussion was listed in the ideas section after I submitted a comment. :confused:
Post edited by nanashi-sims on

Comments

• Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    I think they'd have to daft to think that more people want dinosaurs and mermaids over family trees and proper life stages.

They've done their marketing research, I'm sure they'll cater to whoever will be most likely to buy it. I'm sure they'd be looking at the sales and popularity of Sims 3 stuff, and going from there. At least I hope so!
  • Options
    DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    I don't see why it can't all be balanced. I don't think the compromise is with the content the game has, the compromise has come with the quality of that content.

I think the game needs settings at the start of every town, players should be able to choose how they play their game, that's what makes sandbox so great. EA just needs to get better at figuring out how to give the players options and to get a better vision of what The Sims really is, cause personally I don't think any of them actually play the game for fun and they NEED to.
  • Options
    Dearra95Dearra95 Posts: 556 Member
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    Actually probably not. They like twitter and facebook and all the social media forums where they would get feedback from the youthful simmers. Those who would love the single party life aspect, the rpg format and the potty humor. Maybe if the had spent more time on THE SIMS forums TS4 could have been a whole different game????

kim :\
    I don't know why they insist on listening to people on social media. Most of them are not the fans that have been with the Sims for a long time, and probably won't stick around. People I knew didn't even stick with the facebook game.

• Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    527729_551566231531665_316535291_n.jpg
    LOL, beautiful.

Anyways, OT: No, it is the result of EA choking the developers by scrapping their idea of making TS4 an online type of game mid-way and giving them a year to get the game to a playable single player state.
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    No, it's the result of EA cleaning up their fail attempt to turn the series online for easy cash. Not only that, it's the result of hiring developers who don't know the difference between an RPG and simulation game. :)
    This sums it up very well. And it makes me sad that it is so.

• Options
    TheNestTheNest Posts: 117 Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't think so, because I never recall any simmers asking for different walkstyles, Bros, or sims to be obsessed with their phones and selfies.
  • Options
    LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    When EA came out with TS4's non-standard careers, fans (like me) screamed "We want NORMAL careers", and so EA is patching them in. Now with a patch only days/weeks away I've been reading a lot of "Now give us mermaids, dinosaurs, elves, etc." alongside fan posts (like mine) "Give us toddlers, realistic life stages, family trees, etc."

So what if the whole marketing campaign and game itself are just a compromise between two extremes? And if so, then how will this affect the don't you dare, but hurry up and do it DLC? Would we get a weird compromise with that as well?

And who is the dominant fan base anyway?

I like that you referred to it as "don't you dare, but hurry up and do it DLC" pretty much how everyone seems to feel about it.
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • Options
    BarghaestBarghaest Posts: 168 Member
    edited December 2014
    Not me. I've never had issues with EPs/DLCs... my issue is with carving off core features of a game then packaging it as a DLC (which doesn't happen that often... I've never considered the DLCs/EPs of Civilization to be that way, for example... or the Borderlands 2 DLCs... or even the Sims 2 EPs... those were additional content that were NOT core to the game but added so people could expand their gameplay options).

I fully expected magic, pets, universities, hobbies, etc... to be EPs/DLC in Sims 4 and had no complaints about that. My worry is that toddlers (which I felt were core to the game since they were in previous Sims games) will be packaged into an EP. That's my "don't you dare!" but there's no "hurry up and do it" to that. I do have a "hurry up and do it" for EPs from Sims 2 so I can enjoy the features I've grown to love there (such as magic... and pets...) that came from EPs but no "don't you dare!" for them.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    No, it's the result of EA cleaning up their fail attempt to turn the series online for easy cash. Not only that, it's the result of hiring developers who don't know the difference between an RPG and simulation game. :)

More like game designer, not developers, who do as they are told.

And yeah sims online, not enough time to fix stuff.

I didn't played with supernatural much. In the end, I like realistic.
    But hey, make stuff optional, problem fixed.

I like the Sims 4 Just wish they had time to polish it a bit more.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    TS4 is the result of EA trying to shove online into everything, whether it will go or not, then realizing what a huge mistake that was and hastily trying to fix it.
    raw
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    527729_551566231531665_316535291_n.jpg

What you did there. I see it
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    > @kimjo313 said:
    > Actually probably not. They like twitter and facebook and all the social media forums where they would get feedback from the youthful simmers. Those who would love the single party life aspect, the rpg format and the potty humor. Maybe if the had spent more time on THE SIMS forums TS4 could have been a whole different game????
    >
    > kim :\

Now that's quite insulting! I've been with The Sims since Sims 1, however I only registered to the forums for The Sims 4. Previously I would track The Sims trough facebook as it is quite handy, because I use it to contact my work team anyway.

> @Sk8rblaze said:
    > No, it's the result of EA cleaning up their fail attempt to turn the series online for easy cash. Not only that, it's the result of hiring developers who don't know the difference between an RPG and simulation game. :)

there's nothing wrong in including progression to a sandbox game. For one thing they were in, but less obvious in the previous games too. For example, remember the dating bar from The Sims 2 Night Life? Or work rewards from The Sims 2 and The Sims 3? The only difference is that in this one they're clearly visible in the build menu. In the previous ones it would either be in the unlockables section near the aspiration menu, or like in The Sims 3 you just got 1X of the object that you unlocked.

It's kind of like complaining that RPGs have sandbox elements. Like the ability to build your house, marry and adopt in Skyrim.
  • Options
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    I think they'd have to daft to think that more people want dinosaurs and mermaids over family trees and proper life stages.

They've done their marketing research, I'm sure they'll cater to whoever will be most likely to buy it. I'm sure they'd be looking at the sales and popularity of Sims 3 stuff, and going from there. At least I hope so!

Hmm... but some of those same fans complained vociferously about the tedious game play with toddlers... assuming that they are not patched in and -come with an EP, would this be for the same reason almost no supernatural states shipped with the game, i.e.,toddlers are now considered to be a feature and should be optional for all players?
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims 4: Dinosaur Life... People hate it because there is no open world to see your T Rex roam and you have to complete goals to even own one
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    TS4 is the result of EA trying to shove online into everything, whether it will go or not, then realizing what a huge mistake that was and hastily trying to fix it.

It's just this. TS4 was meant to be multiplayer and the team didn't have enough time to make it single player after the SimCity backlash. It's not about what was left out or catering to people who want mermaids and RPG. Its about how little time they had. They had plans and they included all life stages among other things. And going by the survey, they planned to sell us back other things, like big, extravagant pools, careers, service Sims, etc.

So no, this wasn't about them catering to one miniscule portion of mixed messages, it was about corporate EA trying to follow where they think the money is going to be only to find out that no one will buy their garbage and trying to fix it under a tight deadline with developers who are inexperienced in simulation.
  • Options
    Prettyweed870Prettyweed870 Posts: 832 Member
    I think Sims 4 is a result of EA listening to those who ranted loudest. It would have been a much better idea to send out a poll to ALL registered users if they really wanted to know what we wanted in the next rendition of The Sims. I have received plenty of junk mail, notices and surveys from EA in the past. Funny how that didn't happen this time.

Also, the game was obviously meant to be an online game. However, after the Sims City fiasco EA wisely backed out of that...unfortunately for all of us, they backed out too late to fix the art direction of the game with any level of acceptable loss....and here we are.

I was a serial collector with Sims 2 (started on a Mac and switched to PC because EPs were not coming out fast enough so I actually purchased the base game and several EPs twice). I purchased all EPs and SPs except two of the Sims 3 (and a considerable amount from The Sims 3 Store). And now I wait, with many others, to see if EA can pull this off or if they break my Sims habit completely.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    > @Prettyweed870 said:
    > I think Sims 4 is a result of EA listening to those who ranted loudest. It would have been a much better idea to send out a poll to ALL registered users if they really wanted to know what we wanted in the next rendition of The Sims. I have received plenty of junk mail, notices and surveys from EA in the past. Funny how that didn't happen this time.
    >
    > Also, the game was obviously meant to be an online game. However, after the Sims City fiasco EA wisely backed out of that...unfortunately for all of us, they backed out too late to fix the art direction of the game with any level of acceptable loss....and here we are.
    >
    > I was a serial collector with Sims 2 (started on a Mac and switched to PC because EPs were not coming out fast enough so I actually purchased the base game and several EPs twice). I purchased all EPs and SPs except two of the Sims 3 (and a considerable amount from The Sims 3 Store). And now I wait, with many others, to see if EA can pull this off or if they break my Sims habit completely.

It's kind of funny that this game actually managed to bring me back to sims. I was a serial collector at The Sims 2 stage (even though I had vanilla The Sims 1), I wasn't too hot on The Sims 3. I experienced various issues with installing and running the game and ran into a lot of bugs. The lack of anti-aliasing also put me off as I was seeing jagged courners everywhere. I eventually ended up buying 5 expansion packs at the end of its lifetime and that's it. However for this one, however illogical, I want to stat up my collection again. I want to buy the majority of stuff and expansion packs for it, as long as its in a reasonable amount and actually provides enough content (like for example I didn't find Digital Deluxe worth it, as all it is, is a hat, a hot dog costume, a lamp and a bar).
  • Options
    kitty29041985kitty29041985 Posts: 792 Member
    I really don't know what fans they have listened. Sometimes i think there made this game as they want but not what we want.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    mirta000 wrote: »
    It's kind of funny that this game actually managed to bring me back to sims. I was a serial collector at The Sims 2 stage (even though I had vanilla The Sims 1), I wasn't too hot on The Sims 3. I experienced various issues with installing and running the game and ran into a lot of bugs. The lack of anti-aliasing also put me off as I was seeing jagged courners everywhere. I eventually ended up buying 5 expansion packs at the end of its lifetime and that's it. However for this one, however illogical, I want to stat up my collection again. I want to buy the majority of stuff and expansion packs for it, as long as its in a reasonable amount and actually provides enough content (like for example I didn't find Digital Deluxe worth it, as all it is, is a hat, a hot dog costume, a lamp and a bar).

You aren't alone, my friend :blush: I thought I was over the Sims franchise with the third iteration. I was content to just play TS2 until I turned grey and ignored the TS3 communities and the official sims site. Then TS4 was announced and I fell in love with the sims all over again. I do think the base game has a lot of issues, but at the same time I think this game has so much potential to be awesome. It's just weird that EA says they will give the fans what they want and it's obvious we want so many extremes that cancel each other out like the TS3 trait system :disagree:
    I really don't know what fans they have listened. Sometimes i think there made this game as they want but not what we want.

Wouldn't that mean that they would be the only ones playing it in the end? I doubt the majority of devs play the Sims in their free time.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

You aren't alone, my friend :blush: I thought I was over the Sims franchise with the third iteration. I was content to just play TS2 until I turned grey and ignored the TS3 communities and the official sims site. Then TS4 was announced and I fell in love with the sims all over again. I do think the base game has a lot of issues, but at the same time I think this game has so much potential to be awesome. It's just weird that EA says they will give the fans what they want and it's obvious we want so many extremes that cancel each other out like the TS3 trait system :disagree:

Wouldn't that mean that they would be the only ones playing it in the end? I doubt the majority of devs play the Sims in their free time.

You're just building the game up for letdown. If the game could ever be fixed of its disastrous coding...it might have the potential to not bug out at the slightest touch. ---This is my opinion, but I have never had so many problems in so little time as I did with TS4. Not even the jump bug was as big a problem.