Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is TS4 the Result of Sims Fans' Mixed Messages?

Comments

• Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    There is already a Sims mobile game. Last time I checked it was called Second Life. No thank you.

Second Life isn't mobile. Really it's a PC run social MMO that most of the times is used for virtual meetings for work purposes.

The Sims Freeplay on the other hand IS mobile.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    I just don't buy the mixed messages thing.

Ever since TS1, their fanbase has always been a mixed crowd.

That's really the kicker. Their fanbase hasn't really changed, they have.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    There is already a Sims mobile game. Last time I checked it was called Second Life. No thank you.
    Second Life isn't mobile. Really it's a PC run social MMO that most of the times is used for virtual meetings for work purposes.
    What work purposes? I admit it's been years ago since I've been there but the last time I checked it was virtual meetings for something I cannot name in a T rated forum.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    You make a great point. Instead of demanding content, we should ask them to fix every bug first. Even for TS2 they left bugs unfixed and players have to rely on mods to keep their games from imploding. The biggest bug that you would think that EA would have fixed was the multiple spawning of townies, pets, and the same npcs that eventually causes your game to break due to the population count. Once the damage is done there is no way to fix it, so imagine being 10 generations down in a game and then just having it become corrupted :disappointed_relieved:

But then so much was left out this time around.... it's almost like if we were sold a run down house, do we ask EA to fix the wiring or to install a front door first?

I love the modders because they have fixed game-breaking bugs in past games. I love them, but I wish we didn't need them. I grow continually perturbed with EA over it's attitude. They should have fixed the open world problems in TS3. Two modders managed to make it work. They should have fixed jump bugs in TS2; modders did it first (I can't remember if EA ever got around to doing so). It's as if EA thinks, "Oh, well. We don't need to worry about bugs. A fan will come along and fix it for free. That way we can concentrate on something stupid like giving hot dog costumes to people who shell out more money for the game. Modders = free labor."

EA needs to take responsibility and fix its own games. Two of the biggest modders in the fanbase are not playing Sims 4.

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    You make a great point. Instead of demanding content, we should ask them to fix every bug first. Even for TS2 they left bugs unfixed and players have to rely on mods to keep their games from imploding. The biggest bug that you would think that EA would have fixed was the multiple spawning of townies, pets, and the same npcs that eventually causes your game to break due to the population count. Once the damage is done there is no way to fix it, so imagine being 10 generations down in a game and then just having it become corrupted :disappointed_relieved:

But then so much was left out this time around.... it's almost like if we were sold a run down house, do we ask EA to fix the wiring or to install a front door first?

I love the modders because they have fixed game-breaking bugs in past games. I love them, but I wish we didn't need them. I grow continually perturbed with EA over it's attitude. They should have fixed the open world problems in TS3. Two modders managed to make it work. They should have fixed jump bugs in TS2; modders did it first (I can't remember if EA ever got around to doing so). It's as if EA thinks, "Oh, well. We don't need to worry about bugs. A fan will come along and fix it for free. That way we can concentrate on something stupid like giving hot dog costumes to people who shell out more money for the game. Modders = free labor."

EA needs to take responsibility and fix its own games. Two of the biggest modders in the fanbase are not playing Sims 4.

I couldn't agree with you two more. Well said @nanashi and @songsmith2003 :smile:
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Ah mobile and tablets projects it's nothing new really.

Google for Dungeon Keeper and Dragon Age Heroes scandals. In fact for Dragon Age Heroes you can check Angry Joe's review what is it about.
    In the meantime, Googlestore changed button "free" to "install" and Applestore into "get". Because all those games are falsely advertised. Free should mean completely free. Just like Pools update in Sims 4. It's free, completely. We don't have to pay something for more pool options.

In short. EA took the milk customers route on phones and tablets. I dunno if they will change that and do those new jobs mean moving onto making proper games instead of milk-o-ramas on phones. But in fact I don't really care. I don't buy phonegames.

They didn't do it with only Dungeon Keeper and Dragon Age (both PC games I loved). I have yet to forgive them for ruining the Ultima series. Come to think about it, they pulled developers off of the last 2 games to focus on Ultima Online. They've had an online mentality for a very long time now. That's also when they purchased Origins. Origins used to be a game company that created games, not another Steam.

There's definitely middle and top management who do not understand the fan bases for many of EA's games.
  • Options
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    What work purposes? I admit it's been years ago since I've been there but the last time I checked it was virtual meetings for something I cannot name in a T rated forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_use_of_Second_Life

I just remember adds for it, with a woman talking about how great it is to have a virtual representation of the meeting room when not everyone can attend the meeting in real life.
    It wouldn't surprise me if there was a group doing inappropriate roleplay.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Second Life isn't associated at all with the Sims, as far as I know.
    Cyron43 wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_use_of_Second_Life

I just remember adds for it, with a woman talking about how great it is to have a virtual representation of the meeting room when not everyone can attend the meeting in real life.
    It wouldn't surprise me if there was a group doing inappropriate roleplay.

I'd be disappointed if they weren't:P

I've heard of 2nd life being used in Universities, even one in which a project was to create some virtual town within the game mutiverse.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    Ah mobile and tablets projects it's nothing new really.

Google for Dungeon Keeper and Dragon Age Heroes scandals. In fact for Dragon Age Heroes you can check Angry Joe's review what is it about.
    In the meantime, Googlestore changed button "free" to "install" and Applestore into "get". Because all those games are falsely advertised. Free should mean completely free. Just like Pools update in Sims 4. It's free, completely. We don't have to pay something for more pool options.

In short. EA took the milk customers route on phones and tablets. I dunno if they will change that and do those new jobs mean moving onto making proper games instead of milk-o-ramas on phones. But in fact I don't really care. I don't buy phonegames.

They didn't do it with only Dungeon Keeper and Dragon Age (both PC games I loved). I have yet to forgive them for ruining the Ultima series. Come to think about it, they pulled developers off of the last 2 games to focus on Ultima Online. They've had an online mentality for a very long time now. That's also when they purchased Origins. Origins used to be a game company that created games, not another Steam.

There's definitely middle and top management who do not understand the fan bases for many of EA's games.

I'm starting to wish that a company with deep pockets, like EA (but better), would just create it's own version of Gary's Mod, but with tools that are easy to use for even people like myself (LOL). They could sell meshes, textures, animations, allow people to upload creations/sell them (Company takes a cut). Easy money+ultimate sandbox=fantastic potential. Probably never happen, though.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

The Sims Freeplay on the other hand IS mobile.

I meant to say "online" game. :blush: I consider all net social games to be online, since a lot of mobile games have a social aspect to them, I mixed up the term... sorry for the confusion.

Either way, not interested. I like my PC Sims.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sims has always had a diverse fan base. I love reading the opinions for all sides regarding the Sims 4 and previous Sims games. The Sims wouldn't had lasted into a fourth one without having such a strong community and I hope the community continues to grow.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    EA needs to stop thinking of the Sims as a children's game and actually start realizing that The Sims is really a strategy game, one that has provided a lot of people with an escape hatch that has allowed them to cope with their real life issues. Some Guru once said something along the lines of not needing a psychologist to consult on this game". Well, you should have, to judge by the reaction of people who are disappointed that Sims apparently don't react to some of life's most traumatic events.

In terms of gameplay, The Sims 2 had the most in-depth. The Sims 3 opened up the closed world of the Sims 2. What would have been ideal is if EA had combined the best elements of the Sims 2 (a strong built-in backstory to each family, and interesting situations for players to start off with, some of which were very challenging), open ended gameplay with a light sprinkling of RPG elements to make things interesting, and the open world of the Sims 3, along with Create-A-Style so players can customize things without relying on 3rd party content. Base your framework in realistic elements, and add the fantasy as you develop the game. It should be possible to strike a balance between all life stages; I think the Sims 2 did it best. It should be possible to do it in a future Sims iteration; I'm not sure how you'll manage it in this one, given that you've limited the base game engine. All it would need to have a balance between all the life stages would be a little tweaking here and there.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    EA needs to stop thinking of the Sims as a children's game and actually start realizing that The Sims is really a strategy game, one that has provided a lot of people with an escape hatch that has allowed them to cope with their real life issues. Some Guru once said something along the lines of not needing a psychologist to consult on this game". Well, you should have, to judge by the reaction of people who are disappointed that Sims apparently don't react to some of life's most traumatic events.

In terms of gameplay, The Sims 2 had the most in-depth. The Sims 3 opened up the closed world of the Sims 2. What would have been ideal is if EA had combined the best elements of the Sims 2 (a strong built-in backstory to each family, and interesting situations for players to start off with, some of which were very challenging), open ended gameplay with a light sprinkling of RPG elements to make things interesting, and the open world of the Sims 3, along with Create-A-Style so players can customize things without relying on 3rd party content. Base your framework in realistic elements, and add the fantasy as you develop the game. It should be possible to strike a balance between all life stages; I think the Sims 2 did it best. It should be possible to do it in a future Sims iteration; I'm not sure how you'll manage it in this one, given that you've limited the base game engine. All it would need to have a balance between all the life stages would be a little tweaking here and there.
    This.
    And on a personal level (but maybe I'm an exception) I'd love that game to be more realistic.
    I just don't care for the quirky part in there and certainly not for cartoony and Looney Tunes.
    A game like Skyrim takes my breath away (the way it looks). I think I can handle 'uncanny valley' in a good game perfectly.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    This.
    And on a personal level (but maybe I'm an exception) I'd love that game to be more realistic.
    I just don't care for the quirky part in there and certainly not for cartoony and Looney Tunes.
    A game like Skyrim takes my breath away (the way it looks). I think I can handle 'uncanny valley' in a good game perfectly.

Skyrim isn't uncanny valley. This is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_7CfWlkqm8

And I would rather Sims never went to realism. Not only graphics vise, but everything vise. I know what it means to be disabled, depressed, unemployed and at some points bordering starvation. I see homeless people daily. I know what it means to have a risk of dying during giving birth. Who would want this in their game? Are we sadists?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    This.

And I would rather Sims never went to realism. Not only graphics vise, but everything vise. I know what it means to be disabled, depressed, unemployed and at some points bordering starvation. I see homeless people daily. I know what it means to have a risk of dying during giving birth. Who would want this in their game? Are we sadists?

We have all (possibly) been in situations or had family members who were in dire straights etc. I myself can understand your view. However, I don't think anyone is asking for a Sim to be laying down crying because they are disabled. No, I think what some people mean when they say disabled is they want to see themselves represented in the game perhaps in a wheelchair or with a cane or whatever but actually overcoming their obstacles just like they do in real life everyday.

I rather think they want their lives to be celebrated in the game not made into some sad sack situation in the game. And honestly I see nothing wrong with people wanting to see themselves represented in the game. Especially if EA doesn't turn it into something morbid.

I also have my own physical limitations and have been pretty poor at one time in my life however, I rather like to think my 'stubborn' streak is actually tenacity and perseverance. :p But my family may disagree sometimes. ;) However, I think a broken arm and or leg in The Sims the way the TSM handled it is very much in keeping with the parody of life which used to be what The Sims was about.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    We have all (possibly) been in situations or had family members who were in dire straights etc. I myself can understand your view. However, I don't think anyone is asking for a Sim to be laying down crying because they are disabled. No, I think what some people mean when they say disabled is they want to see themselves represented in the game perhaps in a wheelchair or with a cane or whatever but actually overcoming their obstacles just like they do in real life everyday.

I rather think they want their lives to be celebrated in the game not made into some sad sack situation in the game. And honestly I see nothing wrong with people wanting to see themselves represented in the game. Especially if EA doesn't turn it into something morbid.

I also have my own physical limitations and have been pretty poor at one time in my life however, I rather like to think my 'stubborn' streak is actually tenacity and perseverance. :p But my family may disagree sometimes. ;) However, I think a broken arm and or leg in The Sims the way the TSM handled it is very much in keeping with the parody of life which used to be what The Sims was about.

There's nothing wrong in what The Sims Medieval did. In fact I liked it more than The Sims 3. However I still wouldn't want to see missing limbs, wheelchairs and conjoined people in my game. The same way that I wouldn't want to see stillbirths. It would take away from it being a game and would just make me feel uncomfortable.
  • Options

There's nothing wrong in what The Sims Medieval did. In fact I liked it more than The Sims 3. However I still wouldn't want to see missing limbs, wheelchairs and conjoined people in my game. The same way that I wouldn't want to see stillbirths. It would take away from it being a game and would just make me feel uncomfortable.

No, me either, though wheelchairs don't bother me to see them. Everyone, if they lived long enough would need one. It is a rare thing to see a one hundred year old person walking on their own. So, I don't see it as something shocking when I do see one. Being around more handicapped people at one time in a previous job helps one to accept it's part of life and no I honestly wouldn't have a problem with them in the game.

The Sims is supposed to be a parody of life, so I'm not understanding why it doesn't represent much of life that is left out? No, I wouldn't want to see missing limbs etc. however, I wouldn't say I am desensitized because that isn't true if I think about some things that do bother me, but I have been around and worked with more people who I felt had a lot to give and or just as good a life as someone who wasn't disabled or had missing limbs and therefore I'm not one that needs to get away from it in a game. That's all I'm saying as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I'm not explaining my views very well but sometimes people without disabilities don't see their blessings and don't enjoy their lives as much as someone who does have those problems and therefore I see nothing wrong with them being represented in a game like The Sims.

ETA: The TS2 pregnant Sim had a high chance of dying if pregnant if they didn't get enough comfort which equaled to uncomfortable to eat, fix something to eat etc. Or a lack of sleep, die shortly if needs fell too far, however, most people will tell you the TS2 was the better game with game play and the actual Sim, so, I think it is due to the challenges the player faced to overcome their needs etc. than the constant happy, happy from the TS3 and the TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

No, me either, though wheelchairs don't bother me to see them. Everyone, if they lived long enough would need one. It is a rare thing to see a one hundred year old person walking on their own. So, I don't see it as something shocking when I do see one. Being around more handicapped people at one time in a previous job helps one to accept it's part of life and no I honestly wouldn't have a problem with them in the game.

The Sims is supposed to be a parody of life, so I'm not understanding why it doesn't represent much of life that is left out? No, I wouldn't want to see missing limbs etc. however, I wouldn't say I am desensitized because that isn't true if I think about some things that do bother me, but I have been around and worked with more people who I felt had a lot to give and or just as good a life as someone who wasn't disabled or had missing limbs and therefore I'm not one that needs to get away from it in a game. That's all I'm saying as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps I'm not explaining my views very well but sometimes people without disabilities don't see their blessings and don't enjoy their lives as much as someone who does have those problems and therefore I see nothing wrong with them being represented in a game like The Sims.

ETA: The TS2 pregnant Sim had a high chance of dying if pregnant if they didn't get enough comfort which equaled to uncomfortable to eat, fix something to eat etc. Or a lack of sleep, die shortly if needs fell too far, however, most people will tell you the TS2 was the better game with game play and the actual Sim, so, I think it is due to the challenges the player faced to overcome their needs etc. than the constant happy, happy from the TS3 and the TS4.

It's not about finding it not visually appealing, it's more about it bringing back bad memories. Especially if you were abused, or in a war, or had a still birth, or were traumatized in any way.

In TS4 pregnant ladies needs also drop really fast, however I played The Sims 2 from 2004 and mostly ignored The Sims 3, did various legacies and never seen a lady die while giving birth.
  • Options
    This.

Oh, ieuw, is that uncanny valley.. No, I don't need that. I mean Skyrim realistic (but way more options in CAS).

Not sure what you mean concerning realism. People love to burn and drown their sims to death, you can do things like that right now and I never understood the fun.
    I don't want total realism by the way, I love the supernaturals. I really mean the sims themselves. Their looks and their behaviour. If they flirt I want them to really flirt, not do something totally silly nobody does while flirting. That whole over the top thing I don't like (I ignore behaviour like that in my Sims 3 game). When they're sad I want realistic grieving, no theatrical drama like it is now. I feel absolutely nothing when they do that, that's not what grieving is about for me.
    But I guess that's why I don't mind the 'stiff' and 'robotic' sims in 3. To me that's normal behaviour.

I think for me the game is more about adventure, experiencing life, love, happiness, grieve.
    Not about shopping and vacuum cleaning and other things I don't need to see Katniss, Indiana Jones or Harry Potter doing as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014

It's not about finding it not visually appealing, it's more about it bringing back bad memories. Especially if you were abused, or in a war, or had a still birth, or were traumatized in any way.

In TS4 pregnant ladies needs also drop really fast, however I played The Sims 2 from 2004 and mostly ignored The Sims 3, did various legacies and never seen a lady die while giving birth.

It happens, especially before they patched it due to a bug that caused them to die too fast. But it is very possible for pregnant Sims to die in the TS2. That won't happen in the TS3 or TS4. ETA: I don't mean died from giving birth. Because you can play and they die before they ever get there.
  • Options

Not sure if 'happy happy' is covering that for everyone. I can assure you my sims aren't having a happy life all the time, because I manipulate them in that direction. I wouldn't like it if the game would make decisions like that for me, I'm the director of my own game and that's the way I prefer it. I control what happens, not EA, that's how I feel about that.
    For me the sandbox aspect is highly important, along with an achievement system I can do when I want to (or not if I don't want to).
    I even like doing quests sometimes. But I want to be able to choose when.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Not sure if 'happy happy' is covering that for everyone. I can assure you my sims aren't having a happy life all the time, because I manipulate them in that direction. I wouldn't like it if the game would make decisions like that for me, I'm the director of my own game and that's the way I prefer it. I control what happens, not EA, that's how I feel about that.
    For me the sandbox aspect is highly important, along with an achievement system I can do when I want to (or not if I don't want to).
    I even like doing quests sometimes. But I want to be able to choose when.

My point was the TS3 is all happy because it doesn't matter if you take that mood meter to the bottom, there is no consequence for it like there is in TS2 which would cause aspiration failure and hallucinations, etc. And if needs were low too, death. So, the moodlet system for one thing doesn't have a big enough impact on the Sim's mood. When the minus amount to some bad moodlets are only five points compared to the TSM where they are minus 50 points etc. Most of the time in the TS3 the TS3 Sim is happy and even if not it doesn't matter like it did in the TS2.

The TS4 follows that same path as TS3, because of the moodlet system and a lack of failure which 'should' happen from their traits. But in TS4 we see most Sims no matter their trait can all be confident and or happy etc. And that is 90% of the time with little consequence because even with the emotional deaths it is rare for that to happen on it's own and without the player really having to work hard to make an emotional death happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It happens, especially before they patched it due to a bug that caused them to die too fast. But it is very possible for pregnant Sims to die in the TS2. That won't happen in the TS3 or TS4. ETA: I don't mean died from giving birth. Because you can play and they die before they ever get there.

If you mean just died from low needs then it's still there and was still there in The Sims 3. Also dying from exhaustion... Doesn't really happen in real life, unless you drown, crash a car, or have some sort of brain deformity that prevents you from sleeping. Otherwise you kind of fall asleep whether you like it or not and it's really rare to be able to force yourself to stay awake for long enough for your body to completely shut down.

In real life pregnancies you would be more likely to lose the baby if you over exhaust yourself, rather than die.
    My point was the TS3 is all happy because it doesn't matter if you take that mood meter to the bottom, there is no consequence for it like there is in TS2 which would cause aspiration failure and hallucinations, etc. And if needs were low too, death. So, the moodlet system for one thing doesn't have a big enough impact on the Sim's mood. When the minus amount to some bad moodlets are only five points compared to the TSM where they are minus 50 points etc. Most of the time in the TS3 the TS3 Sim is happy and even if not it doesn't matter like it did in the TS2.

The TS4 follows that same path as TS3, because of the moodlet system and a lack of failure which 'should' happen from their traits. But in TS4 we see most Sims no matter their trait can all be confident and or happy etc. And that is 90% of the time with little consequence because even with the emotional deaths it is rare for that to happen on it's own and without the player really having to work hard to make an emotional death happen.

And what was the consequence in The Sims 2, besides a permanent negative memory that they're not going to reminiscence over after a week has passed? Aspiration failures also just kind of resulted in you going insane, a doctor arriving and then you continue going like normal until the next doctor arrival. Sure, the animations were nice, but besides having an impact on your lifespan as an elder, it didn't do much.

And deaths from emotions happen in my game far more often than I would like -_-;

• Options

If you mean just died from low needs then it's still there and was still there in The Sims 3. Also dying from exhaustion... Doesn't really happen in real life, unless you drown, crash a car, or have some sort of brain deformity that prevents you from sleeping. Otherwise you kind of fall asleep whether you like it or not and it's really rare to be able to force yourself to stay awake for long enough for your body to completely shut down.

In real life pregnancies you would be more likely to lose the baby if you over exhaust yourself, rather than die.

And what was the consequence in The Sims 2, besides a permanent negative memory that they're not going to reminiscence over after a week has passed? Aspiration failures also just kind of resulted in you going insane, a doctor arriving and then you continue going like normal until the next doctor arrival. Sure, the animations were nice, but besides having an impact on your lifespan as an elder, it didn't do much.

And deaths from emotions happen in my game far more often than I would like -_-;

Aspiration failures in the TS2 affected the Sim's mood, yes, and led to other consequences such as not eating, not sleeping, not going to work etc. Granted these were toned down in later EPs by some whining about it, however originally they had a huge impact on the day to day life of the Sim and would cause them Not to do many things the player requested until it was back in the green. So, saying they have little impact is not correct.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Aspiration failures in the TS2 affected the Sim's mood, yes, and led to other consequences such as not eating, not sleeping, not going to work etc. Granted these were toned down in later EPs by some whining about it, however originally they had a huge impact on the day to day life of the Sim and would cause them Not to do many things the player requested until it was back in the green. So, saying they have little impact is not correct.

I do remember the aspiration failures where a Sim could have a 'breakdown' which could make the difficult. In TS3 if a Sim has enough negative moodlets they can become 'miserable' which is a softer version of the breakdown
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg