Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 AI is a joke

Hello all

I am writing this because I do not want you Sims fans out there to be conned with this game.

Firstly in the early Sims, if you went to work in a bad mood for 3 days in a row (any or all or your needs in the red)
then you would get demoted. Secondly if your needs were very low your Sim would simply refuse to go to work.

If they refused to go to work 3 consecutive days in a row (maybe wrong) then they would be sacked.

That was the core of the game, fulfilling needs to go to work fulfilled and on time to bring back money to buy items
to make sure your need were fulfilled before you went to work the next time.

After watching my daughter play this game I feel she is being conned with drivel. We made sure our sim went to work
purposely with needs in the red (tired, hungry etc) and when the sim came home the game said that the sim had performed well that day.

Also I have left a sim outside her house and just stood there waiting for interactions from other sims.

The result: numerous sims have walked straight past her and then stood 5-10 mins at the door of her house and the
with no reply (which not suprised as the sim was standing outside) goes away.

This game is a con and programmed by monkeys.

How dare they mislead my daughter.

Comments

• Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Uhh going to work was definitely not the core/object of the game for me.
  • Options
    sholtxsholtx Posts: 832 Member

handyprint wrote: »

This game is a con and programmed by monkeys.<br />
    <br />

You lost me here. Bye.
    beXSQcW.jpg
  • Options
    jadealixjadealix Posts: 788 Member
    Conned? Please stop.
  • Options
    MadarasQueenMadarasQueen Posts: 544 Member
    edited September 2014
    all I have to say is LOL
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited September 2014
    sholtx wrote: »

<br />

You lost me here. Bye.

He didn't lose me anywhere.
    AI is generally horrible and the only sim who has proper AI is NPC sim Nina Caliente.

It's true Sims 4 is sandbox game, but sandbox doesn't mean no-AI or badly written AI.
    I can't understand how QA didn't notice honeypots (bar, PC, gameplatform, telescope) or pathfinding issues (dishwash in toilet and trash outside, although there is sink and trashcan in the kitchen).
    Won't even bother to write everything about maids.

The game needs some serious polishing of AI. Hopefully, it'll be inside an official patch, modders should concentate on creative stuff, not bugfixing.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    To be truthful, the AI in almost all games is lacking to a degree.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    simonevans1963simonevans1963 Posts: 206 Member
    Talk about being "conned with drivel", I know this post makes me feel like it. I can hardly read this forum any more. Every now and again I drop by and see what's happening, and if it's not people having a go at each other, it's anonymous "new" members writing stuff like this post, moaning about the game and same old stuff yet again.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hello all<br />
    <br />
    I am writing this because I do not want you Sims fans out there to be conned with this game.<br />
    <br />
    Firstly in the early Sims, if you went to work in a bad mood for 3 days in a row (any or all or your needs in the red)<br />
    then you would get demoted. Secondly if your needs were very low your Sim would simply refuse to go to work.<br />
    <br />
    If they refused to go to work 3 consecutive days in a row (maybe wrong) then they would be sacked.<br />
    <br />
    That was the core of the game, fulfilling needs to go to work fulfilled and on time to bring back money to buy items<br />
    to make sure your need were fulfilled before you went to work the next time.<br />
    <br />
    After watching my daughter play this game I feel she is being conned with drivel. We made sure our sim went to work<br />
    purposely with needs in the red (tired, hungry etc) and when the sim came home the game said that the sim had performed well that day.<br />
    <br />
    Also I have left a sim outside her house and just stood there waiting for interactions from other sims. <br />
    <br />
    The result: numerous sims have walked straight past her and then stood 5-10 mins at the door of her house and the<br />
    with no reply (which not suprised as the sim was standing outside) goes away.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    How dare they mislead my daughter.

I pay attention to these sort of details, and though I would never call programmers monkeys, that's rude, I agree with a lot of what you did observe. And as far as the Sims relating to each other on an emotional level I found this to be hype also. One example I gave is when they are embarrassed. Shouldn't two Sims who are embarrassed when they walked in on each other in the bathroom avoid one another? In this game, they still had conversations (even sought out each other in the family) yes, it was tagged as some sort of uncomfortable conversation but they still had one..even searched out each other. I would think they would do everything within their power to avoid one another until the feelings past.

Also, another example was a little girl went to bed crying..mom or dad did not care at all. Nope, didn't phase them. She didn't stay there long, however, OCD, got up and went right back to the situation that made her cry. Mom and Dad still didn't notice her depression or whatever.

And I tried four households all of different traits and family size/relationships. Two of the females in two of my houses (created my own Sims) did nothing but stand around as if they were totally blank. I think this has to do with their needs were not low enough so therefore they weren't interested in filling any need or desire..fun was full, no hunger etc. So, smarter? no, they were just as bored as I was just standing around with nothing for them to do other than talk if someone wanted to talk to them.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    well sorry about that
  • Options
    Syazwan1998Syazwan1998 Posts: 191 Member
    That's nice. Now move along people.
    flhes5.png
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2014
    Indeed, this forum seems to be full of complaints about how terrible this game is. I just laugh it off because I know how much fun I'm having playing S4 and am seriously looking forward to what's in store.
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    nualla8673 wrote: »
    Indeed, this forum seems to be full of complaints about how terrible this game is. I just laugh it off because I know how much fun I'm having playing S4 and am seriously looking forward to what's in store.

We are discussing the AI and I added how they really don't relate to one another on any emotional level. In other games I saw the mom stand over her kid who was passed out in the floor wringing her hands off with worry. In the TS4 mom or dad or anyone didn't care the kid was crying. No one went to console or because the autonomy isn't there. Or multitasking may prevent that from happening on time if it is in there.

Once you slow down, you may observe what the rest of us saw the day we tried it. ETA: slow down a little an notice some popups are delayed also, like when your Sim earns something..like an emotional point, or whatever, in your notfications, can't exactly remember what I'm referring to, but that happened several times. And I was thinking...the game is just now acknowledging they have this emotion and that was an hour ago...lol...ETA: wait, now I remember..it was a moodlet..the game would give those hours after the Sim felt/ did something..delayed..bad programming?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I have not seen or noticed problems with autonomy. However, I never play allowing my sims to make decisions for themselves. I'm a bit of a control freak. Otherwise, it would be like watching my game and not playing it.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Careful nualla, some people find such statements offensive. ;)
  • Options
    I have not seen or noticed problems with autonomy. However, I never play allowing my sims to make decisions for themselves. I'm a bit of a control freak. Otherwise, it would be like watching my game and not playing it.

**Sorry Off Topic**
    Your avatar is so pretty, is she available for download in the gallery?
  • Options

**Sorry Off Topic**

Yes she is actually. Search for #nualla and you should find her.

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    WORK? what is that. My sims have never gone to work, even in sims 3 and now in Sims 4. I like to play my own way. So Work is not a problem for me. If you want your sims to go to work, then do send them. But in Sims 3 and I can't remember in Sims 2, all they did was disappear and went to work, seems there was no interaction or much things to perform. In real life if you go to work, tired, grumpy and not do your work you might get fired., so now they have made things for your sims to do. Kind of like life, you don't really feel like doing much if you are depressed or down. Some don't even show up for work. Some have a hard time to do housework, or even get out of bed. I guess giving things to do to move up the ladder is something to work for.
    My sims are very interactive, but if they are involved in something that over rides someone at the door they do not ans. it. I wish that I could do that sometimes in RL.
    I guess it all revolves around how you play. to each his own. I find you can play any way you want. (sorry not talking about toddlers)
  • Options

But you do expect a Sim to know a Sim is standing right in front of them in the yard don't you? In TS2 the might wave at them at least that's something.
  • Options
    TrickTrick Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited September 2014
    Hello all
    I am writing this because I do not want you Sims fans out there to be conned with this game.<br />

Focus... you need to focus.

Over half your post had nothing to do with the AI at all, and the rest was a long-winded complaint that sometimes neighbors walk by without saying hello (sort of like my real-life neighbors). I bet if I stood out on the sidewalk I'd get a lot of people walking by without stopping, too. The world doesn't come to a halt because I'm outside.

Anyway, a diatribe on the failings of the game from someone who claims he doesn't even play it (and yeah, we all buy your "daughter" story as the absolute truth) has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    banner-onlysims-800x140-1.png
    Because Geeks Really Do Have More Fun
  • Options

**Sorry Off Topic**

Yes she is actually. Search for #nualla and you should find her.

Cool

• Options
    icftlduicftldu Posts: 147 Member
    @handyprint so many haters, so little time. Tell your daughter to go find another game to enjoy. You pick the game for her though, as you seem to be the game expert in your family. :p
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

But you do expect a Sim to know a Sim is standing right in front of them in the yard don't you? In TS2 the might wave at them at least that's something.

Again, I haven't noticed this. I have npc's swarm me when I'm at the library or gym, all of them initiating conversations wtih my sim. Don Lothario would come over and visit, and he would take care of the baby (feed, change, socialize with). When the baby was crying, the youngest son would go and talk to the baby without my queing it up. Maybe I'm just not understanding your problem, but I think the autonomy is working well.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited September 2014
    In terms of pure sims awareness, TS2 is still the most advanced of all.
    If a sim noticed something bad about you (breakup, bladder accidentt etc...), they'll tell to others.
    You were a friend of a shy sim? He/she'll stick by you during parties.
    A sim saw a friend from afar, as you say, he'll wave...

In TS4, if I play cards in front of my door, the visitor will knock it.
    Speaking of playing cards, just invite a drinking sim to a game, to see what an amazing A.I. they have.
    A spouse, to witness cheating must be in the group conversation. A kiss isn't offensive, but blowing a kiss is...
    Speaking
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Hello all<br />

Well, do you know how to program - let's see you create a game of this kind