Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What I don't get about reviews of TS4

Comments

• Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    Some of the people who posted on Amazon did not even buy the game. . .

No one can know if a reviewer on Amazon.com has purchased the game. One can review the game if they had purchased the game elsewhere or received it as a gift.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    This! Exactly what I have said and experienced. I hated Sims 3 but I didn't go on the Sims 3 forums day after day raging about it. I stayed on the Sims 2 forum and talked with others who felt the same way, and you are right about the Sims 3 "visitors" who would show up constantly just to mess with us, and tell us how backward we were not to love the so called Open World with all its rabbit holes.
    I think most people here being negative (or not so very positive) aren't adressing other fans in the first place.
    They're mainly adressing EA.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    A like for you Jarsie9! I agree. I like the game but I agree with your points of dissatisfaction. However I do feel that many Sims 3 players are dissing the game because they were hoping for a remake of Sims 3 and are unwilling to admit that style of play is not for everyone.
    I'm under the impression a lot of Sims 2-fans don't like the game either.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
    Alright I'll just add my own point of view to the mix:

Most people who rated this game with a 0 did it more to actually balance the global rating of the game and so to better warn buyers of the deceit The Sims 4 actually is. It might seem hypocritical but I'd rather have a global rate of 6 out of 10 for this game than a 12 (which it doesn't deserve). It just reflects the current mood of most simmers who have felt deeply betrayed by €A.

Let me explain myself, The Sims 4 is not so terrible as a game, it has its entertaining aspects. However the way it was stripped down of almost everything (no telephone, no dishwasher no mailman, paper delivery, toddlers, cars, basic careers, customization, open world) to be shoved down our throats for 60 bucks is simply unacceptable. This game is empty only to allow a double DLC making (and selling) and players are not okay with that.

Everything in this game is a strategic deceit.

This game is clearly not finished. It's not even a beta, it's an alpha probably designed for online gaming and mobiles and tablets. There is nothing in this game! It's empty! Completely limited! No restaurant, no cinema, no beach, no spa! That reduces quite much your possibility for story telling which is the heart of the sims! Telling stories! With The Sims 4, it's barely possible! Yes the new sims are pretty but the lack of content cannot make up for it. There was more content in any previous base game than in this one! I mean, come on! Even The Sims 1 had more content when it came out 14 years ago. And now I find myself being locked up in my tiny house in my tiny neighborhood unable to make friends because the multitasking system is a mess, the community lots are boring, the emotions a remake of Sims 2 style aspirations system and whenever I send my astronaut sim (seriously? Where has my middle-class waitress gone?) for a jog, she goes back and forth between four ridiculous squares of road because she can't go any further in this claustrophobic world!

Some here say that the open world went off the sims way. I disagree completely. The lack of open world was what made the sims game a dollhouse game which was nice in the early 2000's, but this is no longer the 2000's! When the Sims 2 nightlife introduced the ability to see the rest of the neighborhood it was a step foward! And The Sims 3 open world made story telling almost limitless! Now with games like Skyrim, most MMOs, GTA V and the upcoming Dragon Age 3, fragmented worlds are outdated. And something outdated in the current gaming industry will not last simply because players are now used to higher technology and what's offered on the market. And on that strategic aspect, The Sims 4 has failed big time!
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    This! Exactly what I have said and experienced. I hated Sims 3 but I didn't go on the Sims 3 forums day after day raging about it. I stayed on the Sims 2 forum and talked with others who felt the same way, and you are right about the Sims 3 "visitors" who would show up constantly just to mess with us, and tell us how backward we were not to love the so called Open World with all its rabbit holes.

I wish more people behaved that way. If they love The Sims 3, the sims 3 forums are on these very forums. There's people in them forums who love the game just as much as they do. They'd have people who post positively about Sims 3, and they could swap ideas, share their story, their love for the game, it's features, etc. Instead, they choose to come to The Sims 4 forums, constantly belittle the game, belittle and insult the players who love the game, and attack EA on a constant basis. Because I can only guess to them The Sims 4 is some kind of affront to The Sims 3. Even though The Sims 3 is still supported. And there's probably still a skeleton crew to make patches for that game. But expansions are done, and store content is done. So all they will work on now, would be patches.

How long was The Sims 2 forums open, before support for that game finally came to an end? Even though Sims 2 support has come to an end, the player base still makes content of their own for the game. Who knows, maybe the mod creators for the sims 2 can get together and make their own unofficial expansion for the game if they put their minds to it. The same can be said of The Sims 3. There's tons of mod sites for the game, tons of mod creators. Even after EA closes the doors on The Sims 3, the fans and mod creators for that game will still be there. And if it works like The Sims 2, then look how long that Sims 2 site was open. From 2009, to 2013. When The Sims 3 was nearing its end, the site finally closed down for good, forums and all.

So The Sims 3 forums and site will still be there for a few more years yet. Hell given the amount of store content, I'm willing to bet that even though Into The Future was the last official Expansion for the game, EA might pack all the store content into a stuff pack eventually to sell. Fans of Sims 3, if they really want that, should start petitioning EA to do that. One final giant stuffs pack for The Sims 3, just before The Sims 3 Store closes. That is something I'd get behind for the sims 3 players. But I am a Sims 4 player now. My days on Sims 3 is over. So that's why I don't bother going to The Sims 3 forums anymore.

tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Shadoza2 wrote: »

No one can know if a reviewer on Amazon.com has purchased the game. One can review the game if they had purchased the game elsewhere or received it as a gift.
    As well as if they borrowed the game.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member

Amazon has marked "verified purchases". Some people who bought the game elsewhere will not be included, but the people who bought the game via Amazon can be seen. They have a sometimes there, sometimes not filter option that lets you see who purchased the game via Amazon, so you can actually get a view of verified purchases. For example:

b6c7rs.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    nilanius wrote: »

I wish more people behaved that way. If they love The Sims 3, the sims 3 forums are on these very forums. There's people in them forums who love the game just as much as they do. They'd have people who post positively about Sims 3, and they could swap ideas, share their story, their love for the game, it's features, etc. Instead, they choose to come to The Sims 4 forums, constantly belittle the game, belittle and insult the players who love the game, and attack EA on a constant basis. Because I can only guess to them The Sims 4 is some kind of affront to The Sims 3. Even though The Sims 3 is still supported. And there's probably still a skeleton crew to make patches for that game. But expansions are done, and store content is done. So all they will work on now, would be patches.

How long was The Sims 2 forums open, before support for that game finally came to an end? Even though Sims 2 support has come to an end, the player base still makes content of their own for the game. Who knows, maybe the mod creators for the sims 2 can get together and make their own unofficial expansion for the game if they put their minds to it. The same can be said of The Sims 3. There's tons of mod sites for the game, tons of mod creators. Even after EA closes the doors on The Sims 3, the fans and mod creators for that game will still be there. And if it works like The Sims 2, then look how long that Sims 2 site was open. From 2009, to 2013. When The Sims 3 was nearing its end, the site finally closed down for good, forums and all.

So The Sims 3 forums and site will still be there for a few more years yet. Hell given the amount of store content, I'm willing to bet that even though Into The Future was the last official Expansion for the game, EA might pack all the store content into a stuff pack eventually to sell. Fans of Sims 3, if they really want that, should start petitioning EA to do that. One final giant stuffs pack for The Sims 3, just before The Sims 3 Store closes. That is something I'd get behind for the sims 3 players. But I am a Sims 4 player now. My days on Sims 3 is over. So that's why I don't bother going to The Sims 3 forums anymore.
    People complaining here aren't doing that because they love Sims 3.
    Some of them hate Sims 3 and love Sims 2.
    The whole 'This is a Sims 3 fan problem' is a hoax.

(I'm very active on another Sims forum by the way, sharing my Sims 3 pictures and story's, reading and watching others and also following Sims 4 creations of others)

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    constanceconstance Posts: 1,379 Member
    greenXen wrote: »

Amazon has marked "verified purchases". Some people who bought the game elsewhere will not be included, but the people who bought the game via Amazon can be seen. They have a sometimes there, sometimes not filter option that lets you see who purchased the game via Amazon, so you can actually get a view of verified purchases. For example:

b6c7rs.jpg

err... that review most certainly does not speak for me. I prefer the art style of Sims 2 and Sims 4 over Sims 3, however Sims 2 is my favorite of all the installments and I am NOT enjoying Sims 4...

• Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    Hi! :smile: Since I haven't been in these forums much, let me preface my comment by saying I've been a sims addict for 14 years and anything possible to purchase for the sims in that time, I have. Built basically a super computer to run *everything* for Sims 3 flawlessly (and it does), and also in preparation for Sims 4. It's at least an $8,000 dollar computer or more, just for the components alone (got a huge discount though). I did that, again, for The Sims and I AM NOT RICH lol.

But they murdered the toddlers and junked the open world. [Trigger warning for deadly insult: really sorry I don't know how else to say this] As far as I can tell, sims 4 is a facebook app designed for 8 year old girls using their grandpa's word processor. Really sorry to insult a game everybody here loves, but sims 4 is way below my standards. I will NEVER go back to a closed world EVER AGAIN.

Instead I've been playing ArcheAge, which is just utterly hilarious and stunningly beautiful -- I laugh myself silly constantly and have already met lots of really great people who have made a great game even greater. You can do all sorts of things in that game, from running giant boats over waterfalls to gliding through the air on various gliders from one end of the world to another. You can craft, farm, trade, explore, dance on the roof of your house, build a house, insert your own music into the game and play your own music on various instruments -- and that's just some of the options. The amount of stuff to do is just amazing and everything is rendered with such detail and a Cute Factor x100,000,000. That game just blows me away. It does has pvp elements (player vs player and player vs monsters), but geeze the whole thing is such a LoonyTunes level of violence that it's impossible to take any of it seriously AND that can be entirely avoided if you want but it sure does suck even a pacifist like me in -- now I'm looking forward to eventually fighting pirates on the high seas! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It is also, completely 100% free to play now. :smile: They are currently working on resolving their server issues though, so keep that in mind and maybe consider waiting a week or two if you haven't started playing yet. They suspected that game would attract a huge cross-over crowd but they were still unprepared for the hoards but wow are they working round the clock improving things constantly. They update (not really to fix anything because nothing is really broken, but just to improve and are sooooooo responsive to requests, that making an announcement for every new thing isn't necessary. At first I thought my submitting a ticket was pointless as I never heard an official response back, but then noticed that they just... resolved whatever without sending me any formal notification.) So the only major issue is that free players are reporting queue times lasting hours (but because I dropped $150 to play in Alpha I get in instantaneously, plus other benefits). Geeze that game is awesome. And the public relations people.... well... EA could learn a lot from watching them. I hope to play Sims 5 one day, but only if it has an open world.

Thank you for reading, and I sincerely hope you enjoy your game! But if you have any doubts, try ArcheAge!!
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited September 2014
    @stickykisses - thanks for posting your thoughts but I'm going to have warn people the opposite. ArcheAge is another slimy F2P cash grab MMO that punishes people under the F2P system. I'd rather recommend WildStar/WoW/EVE with their sub fees since at least everyone is on the same footing.

You also talk about public relations and the ripples of discontent are pretty rampant already - honeymoon phase is always lovely for an MMO but ArcheAge made the criminal sin of putting F2P players into a lower class that stunts their LP growth vs those who are Founders/Premiums. That's never a good model *eyes SWTOR for emphasis*

Edit: I'd love to be proven wrong and see another MMO flourish in the rather contentious genre but ArcheAge hasn't put it's best foot forward right off the bat and that's sad to see.

Edit 2: Also, please don't think I'm trying to dampen/put down your enthusiasm of ArcheAge - if you are legitimately having a good time regardless of the faults/flaws, that is always the most important thing rather than what some talking head on the internet thinks :D
    Post edited by Crackseed on
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    Crackseed wrote: »
    @stickykisses - thanks for posting your thoughts but I'm going to have warn people the opposite. ArcheAge is another slimy F2P cash grab MMO that punishes people under the F2P system. I'd rather recommend WildStar/WoW/EVE with their sub fees since at least everyone is on the same footing.

You also talk about public relations and the ripples of discontent are pretty rampant already - honeymoon phase is always lovely for an MMO but ArcheAge made the criminal sin of putting F2P players into a lower class that stunts their LP growth vs those who are Founders/Premiums. That's never a good model *eyes SWTOR for emphasis*

Edit: I'd love to be proven wrong and see another MMO flourish in the rather contentious genre but ArcheAge hasn't put it's best foot forward right off the bat and that's sad to see.

Add FFXIV to your list of recommended. That game is sub fee based, but it, in my opinion, is better than WoW.
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options

Add FFXIV to your list of recommended. That game is sub fee based, but it, in my opinion, is better than WoW.

I give FFXIV a big nod for taking all the feedback seriously and mounting one of the more amazing MMO recovery stories. I'd argue the point it's better than WoW (vastly different styles of combat, etc) but it's certainly worth a look for people wanting to find a stable/different MMO environment.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    CyberMonkeyXLCyberMonkeyXL Posts: 8 New Member
    For PC games its NOT a good idea to fully put your trust in user reviews. Too many times you have 1/10 because this game will run on said reviewers very old PC.
  • Options
    For PC games its NOT a good idea to fully put your trust in user reviews. Too many times you have 1/10 because this game will run on said reviewers very old PC.
    The reviews aren't about issues that concern old PC problems.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    abe70280abe70280 Posts: 519 Member

well, Sims 4 can run on a toaster so we wont be having trust issues about that.
  • Options
    Taw3001Taw3001 Posts: 344 Member
    When users rate a product it does not mean they like or hate it, just that it did not meet their expectations. When I read reviews and people rate it from 1-10 or in Amazon's case 1-5 Stars, I disregard reviews that don't give a reason why the gave it that rating. If they give a reason why they like/don't like it, I compare it to things I want in the product and then make my decision. Sims 3 had a lot of bad reviews when it first came out. I was first disappointed with Sims 3 and played it for about a week. I then did not play it again for over a year when they added new content.

The things I read in the reviews pertain to what was left out. Most negative reviews are based on not having pools or toddlers. When I play I rarely play any sims below teen, so that is not much of an issue but I would like the pools to come back. Some have posted that Sims 4 is a completely new game but to me when they add a number to the end it is a continuation of the game, having improvements and added features. After reading the reviews and seeing trailers/youtube videos, the things I most impressed with are being able to travel between world and the features added to build mode. The thing I dislike the most would be the size of the current worlds, I think they should have been bigger to give simmers more space to build. I would have like them to also include a couple of blank worlds so we could create neighborhoods without removing the original ones.

As far as EA/Maxis games go, I have been playing their games since the original SimCity and SimTower days. I started The Sims 1 and continued through Sims 3, all expansions, stuff packs, and store items. I am still playing Sims 1-3 as each has different aspects that I love to play. With Sims 3 I do play with some mods, especially the NRAAS with Overwatcher as it keeps my game running smoothly even on my older system as well as my newer one.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I felt I had to give my honest review on amazon-I couldn't bring myself to give a 1 star but settled on 2. I used a reasoned argument to why I had done so-I actually posted the opinion I'd put on their own official feedback thread as my amazon feedback. It broke my heart to do it but I wanted to warn people with my play style that weren't sure because to be honest I wish I'd waited. I gave my positives and negatives, and should EA release updates that alters things for me I will go back and alter my feedback. But for now it stands and if it helps someone else who plays the way I do I'm glad. I feel like we've paid a lot to effectively test this game for EA as it's got so many bugs and things that I'm disappointed they haven't fixed yet. It just feels like it has a lot of potential but until we hear they are committed to listening to why lots of their fans are disappointed and work on rectifying that I'm not too confident.
    I'm not a 'hater' I love that some of you are really happy-I just wish those of us who are disappointed were supported by fellow fans rather than mocked-there's obviously potential to please us all as they've managed to do that previously.
  • Options
    I felt I had to give my honest review on amazon-I couldn't bring myself to give a 1 star but settled on 2. I used a reasoned argument to why I had done so-I actually posted the opinion I'd put on their own official feedback thread as my amazon feedback. It broke my heart to do it but I wanted to warn people with my play style that weren't sure because to be honest I wish I'd waited. I gave my positives and negatives, and should EA release updates that alters things for me I will go back and alter my feedback. But for now it stands and if it helps someone else who plays the way I do I'm glad. I feel like we've paid a lot to effectively test this game for EA as it's got so many bugs and things that I'm disappointed they haven't fixed yet. It just feels like it has a lot of potential but until we hear they are committed to listening to why lots of their fans are disappointed and work on rectifying that I'm not too confident.
    I'm not a 'hater' I love that some of you are really happy-I just wish those of us who are disappointed were supported by fellow fans rather than mocked-there's obviously potential to please us all as they've managed to do that previously.

There's plenty of us who support you :) There's always going to be this sub-set of people on the internet who hide behind it's anonymity to spew dumb things at folks who aren't on their side of the fence. It affects both the negative and positive camps equally really.

Just keep your chin up, speak your piece and flip the mental bird to those who want to hate simply to troll/be immature. You don't need to give it any attention since you're better than that.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

There's plenty of us who support you :) There's always going to be this sub-set of people on the internet who hide behind it's anonymity to spew dumb things at folks who aren't on their side of the fence. It affects both the negative and positive camps equally really.

Just keep your chin up, speak your piece and flip the mental bird to those who want to hate simply to troll/be immature. You don't need to give it any attention since you're better than that.

Thank you :-)

• Options
    CyberMonkeyXLCyberMonkeyXL Posts: 8 New Member
    > @fullspiral said:
    > It doesn't matter to me what anyone else says. Im playing it, and I'm loving it. I, for one, hope the devs don't cave to the site bombarders that are trying to make this in to TS3 all over again.
    >
    > TS3 was the anomaly in to what the sims are about....and that's the sims themselves. TS3 let that go for the "open world". And that didn't work. that's my opinion. I prefer to have my sims back.

"TS3 let that go for the "open world". And that didn't work. that's my opinion".

I agree and disagree. In vanilla TS3, the open world didn't work. My memory maybe is a little hazy, its been years since I played TS3 completely unmodified. The thing about an open world, it cannot be completely empty and TS3 really was the 'big empty'. The neighborhoods didn't grow. The worst thing was no family units were formed. No one married/divorced, just single parent households, with no variety. It was buggy, with long waits for objects to be completely rendered. The mods offset most of said problems.

However, I do agree without mods TS3's open world is bland. I cannot say TS4 is that much of a downgrade.
  • Options

What he said, not all of us who like it, hate people who don't. It's not made for your play style, that is perfectly understandable. The game fits my play style, which is why I like it. The problem comes when the radicals of our respective camp start making things difficult for the other side, and gives their respective side a bad image.

By the way... what ever happened to Joewow? lol
  • Options

What he said, not all of us who like it, hate people who don't. It's not made for your play style, that is perfectly understandable. The game fits my play style, which is why I like it. The problem comes when the radicals of our respective camp start making things difficult for the other side, and gives their respective side a bad image.

🐸🐸🐸🐸 @nilanius, you'll summon him if you speak he who shall not be named's...um, name.
    y9UdOhq.png
  • Options

🐸🐸🐸🐸 @nilanius, you'll summon him if you speak he who shall not be named's...um, name.

lol he sometimes was pretty radical in defense of the game. Even had attacked me when he didn't understand I was on the "I like the game" side, and had asked him to calm down some. Beyond that, he was pretty entertaining sometimes lol.
  • Options
    Definitely fell under what I would term the more fanatical side of the pro camp.
    y9UdOhq.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top