Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Impression and Experience with The Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited September 2014
    Cinebar wrote: »
    As much as I didn't like the TS3 as those who bought everything to do with it, I have to say once you play the TS3 you do long for being able to get to the other houses without a loading screen. I still play TS2 more than any other game and that is saying a lot because I have played hundreds of games of all types. It's just a matter of taste. But TS3 isn't really the worst game ever. It was only the Sim that needed improved which they could have done in many different EPs. We all knew the AI was bad, and the engine wouldn't support a lot of things we wanted, but funny how they store could come up with them, but anyway, I think you actually fear this game won't last just like many of us loved the TSM for what it was, and others didn't. The same will happen here. If not enough love the TS4 then it will be dropped just like the TSM, eventually. And that is what many of you fear. I don't blame you, though, I wanted them to expand the TSM but not enough people agreed with me on that one.

I really loved the Sims Medieval. If they'd just had a few minor alterations, I think it could have been truly popular. It needed more sandbox to be enjoyable. Imagine if it had had horses, toddlers, teens and building tools for making your own empire? It would have been outstanding.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have no fear they will drop TS4, TS4 is here to stay.

I do believe the simmers who like the game out weighs the ones who don't.

Plus a lot of the players who said they don't & wouldn't buy the game or wait Til it's on sale...have gotten the game and the game has been out for a week.

Wait Til the first ep comes out, more will be intrigued and buy it.....

My opinion was just my opinion. I mainly wanted to focus on the UI and the performance. Those were facts as far as how I felt the were not comfortable for me and my machine. Those were important facts I think to some who think their machines might play it only to find out the ame prefers the low end settings even for a good midgrade card. That was surprising to me since we were promised it was for low end machines much less than my 3.2 ghz processors.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member

Plus a lot of the players who said they don't & wouldn't buy the game or wait Til it's on sale...have gotten the game and the game has been out for a week.

My opinion was just my opinion. I mainly wanted to focus on the UI and the performance. Those were facts as far as how I felt the were not comfortable for me and my machine. Those were important facts I think to some who think their machines might play it only to find out the ame prefers the low end settings even for a good midgrade card. That was surprising to me since we were promised it was for low end machines much less than my 3.2 ghz processors.

Idk if that "you fear ts4 will end" comment was directed towards spiral or all of us who enjoy the game.

Even if you can't have it on ultra, if you lower the settings it's still smooth. Which work on a low end machine , there was no false advertisement. They didn't advertise every computer can play on ultra settings.

In ts3 even if I lowered the settings it was still lagging & pauses between animations.

• Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited September 2014
    Eh, I don't think, at the moment, Sims 4 will be dropped as quick as TSM.
    TSM had more of a niche following as opposed to a broad one of casual players.
    But if TS4's EPs fail to captivate or are buggy like TS3, I could see them maybe releasing a few EPs short of what TS2 and 3 released and moving on to something else...whether it be TS5 or another different game.

TS3 got pretty strong reviews in its first week and is a 86 rating on metacritic. As it stands currently (until TS4 numbers are out) it was the highest selling sims game in week 1. Even higher than 2. The only complaints prior to release were the pudding faces and the usual "We have to go bare bones"/I Hate change" mantra.

Setting was the same though. Some migrate to TS3 and others stayed behind with 2. And the vast majority went to TS3. The complaints from TS3 "haters" at the time was drowned out by Ts3 supporters with the same lines TS4 people are saying now.

If Ts5 becomes a thing, guess what? TS4 loyalists will fight the good fight tooth and nail against it, and those migrating will tell them how craptastic TS4 was and how TS5 is the best ever. Just like the prior games. This was called back in '09 and surprise - I was on the fence, leaning towards TS2 and reluctant to 3. Just like where I am today. (Yay patterns)

But a lesson is learned here. If TS3 was a buggy glitchy mess and had everyone jumping ship once TS4 came out despite it's good reviews and mega purchases within the first week and everyone loving the new features/lack of load screens, it means that, to me, the first week of play doesn't equal the actual longevity of the game.

It's all good within the first few weeks, but with EPs, and how those are handled, plus settling into the game itself...there is a lot to consider. Emotions are running high within the fanbase right now so we'll see.

Personally, I think Sims 4 will go down as....another Sims installment. Not the best, not the worst.

Aaaaand I'm rambling now. This is what happens when I'm up late.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    But if TS4's EPs fail to captivate or are buggy like TS3, I could see them maybe released a few EPs short of what TS2 and 3 released and moving on to something else...whether it be TS5 or another different game.

TS3 got pretty strong reviews in its first week and is a 86 rating on metacritic. As it stands currently (until TS4 numbers are out) it was the highest selling sims game in week 1. Even higher than 2. The only complaints prior to release were the pudding faces and the usual "We have to go bare bones"/I Hate change" mantra.

Setting was the same though. Some migrate to TS3 and others stayed behind with 2. And the vast majority went to TS3. The complaints from TS3 "haters" at the time was drowned out by Ts3 supporters with the same lines TS4 people are saying now.

If Ts5 becomes a thing, guess what? TS4 loyalists will fight the good fight tooth and nail against it, and those migrating will tell them how craptastic TS4 was and how TS5 is the best ever. Just like the prior games.

But a lesson is learned here. If TS3 was a buggy glitchy mess and had everyone jumping ship once TS4 came out despite it's good reviews and mega purchases within the first week and everyone loving the new features/lack of load screens, it means that, to me, the first week of play =/= the actual longevity of the game.

It's all good within the first few weeks, but with EPs, and how those are handled, plus settling into the game itself...there is a lot to consider. Emotions are running high within the fanbase right now so we'll see.

Personally, I think Sims 4 will go down as....another Sims installment. Not the best, not the worst.

They still can't beat TS2 in my eyes. Thats my opinion anyways.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options

Idk if that "you fear ts4 will end" comment was directed towards spiral or all of us who enjoy the game.

Even if you can't have it on ultra, if you lower the settings it's still smooth. Which work on a low end machine , there was no false advertisement. They didn't advertise every computer can play on ultra settings.

In ts3 even if I lowered the settings it was still lagging & pauses between animations.

Did you read my post? I said I have an ATI HD Radeon 5450 video card. A 64 bit machine, 4 gbs of RAM, and the AMD dual processors @ 3.2 ghz. And the game started performing badly after saving the game three times. Started lagging enough to bother me. The settings were on low. Maybe it had to do with the saves or the notifications didn't really delete or whatever, but those were facts.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    angie0o0angie0o0 Posts: 103 Member
    > @fullspiral said:
    > Sorry Cinebar. When I first came to this forum, I thought I respected you. But all I see is a whiner.

You're unhinged.
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    But if TS4's EPs fail to captivate or are buggy like TS3, I could see them maybe released a few EPs short of what TS2 and 3 released and moving on to something else...whether it be TS5 or another different game.

If Ts5 becomes a thing, guess what? TS4 loyalists will fight the good fight tooth and nail against it, and those migrating will tell them how craptastic TS4 was and how TS5 is the best ever. Just like the prior games.

But a lesson is learned here. If TS3 was a buggy glitchy mess and had everyone jumping ship once TS4 came out despite it's good reviews and mega purchases within the first week and everyone loving the new features/lack of load screens, it means that, to me, the first week of play =/= the actual longevity of the game.

They still can't beat TS2 in my eyes. Thats my opinion anyways.

Sims 2 holds a special place in my heart because it was the first series that A) I followed completely from start to finish, B ) Found out "CC" with and C) joined the community. So in some ways TS2 started my simming experience. Even though TS1 started my gameplay (only) experience.
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    I did read your post. I'm not good at understanding computer specs.

My gaming laptop needs repair & I've been playing on a crappy hp laptop not meant for gaming at all, maybe solitaire lol, and it runs great.

Not sure why you're getting lag, sorry it's making your gaming experience bad.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited September 2014
    fullspiral wrote: »
    This is OP

" I can't do this like I remember from 2, I have trouble with this, and this doesn't work like how I think it should, and I know I could do this, and this, and there was this and this....."

This isn't about catering THIS game to YOU.

It is if they want my money.

So you want them to change EVERYTHING so that YOU can play.....

You have no adaptability skills? You can't see how to work things in a new way?
    You are such a plum.
  • Options
    Zanku5Zanku5 Posts: 90 Member
    I agree with a earlier poster, the expansions are what is going to make or break it. It would be great if they went the extra mile with expansions, made people think "amazing how they put so much in it." If they try to nickel and dime with DLC too much, they will lose my interest.
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited September 2014
    Zanku5 wrote: »
    I agree with a earlier poster, the expansions are what is going to make or break it. It would be great if they went the extra mile with expansions, made people think "amazing how they put so much in it." If they try to nickel and dime with DLC too much, they will lose my interest.

This is what I'm waiting for too. No way in hades will I be paying extra for store content that should've been in an expansion pack.
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Kittenkiss wrote: »
    Zanku5 wrote: »

This is what I'm waiting for too. No way hades will I be paying extra for store content that should've been in an expansion pack.

Pretty much - it's my big gripe about TS3. There was so much half baked DLC for way too high a price point.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    Nice review @Cinebar. I am another "hater" who bought the game. I agree with you about the UI. I hate it. I prefer everything on the bottom of the screen. As for gameplay, the loading screens have been short and don't bother me too much. I fear how long they will get with CC, expansions, and DLC. I miss the open world though. I have had fun with my sims. I have even caught myself chuckling at things they have done when I am not playing. I have been trying to play a different way then how I usually play. I am a typical family/ generational player. I can't bring myself to play a family with the huge jump from baby to child, teens being the same as adults, missing family tree and limited relationship choices. One thing that bothered me was my first house I played had two brothers and two female room mates. The two brothers had to introduce them selves because the game didn't recognize them. I think that was ridiculous. I am also bothered by all the goals and quests. When my sim goes on a date, I want to choose how the date goes, not have to do x amount of different types of interactions for the date to be successful.

Overall I think this game has potential to be good if they tone down the RPG elements and improve the lacking features and content.
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited September 2014
    DarkMirage wrote: »
    Good Lord you're so nit-picky!

I just played over 10 hours today on a single sim and I enjoyed it very much.

When you pay for something you are entitled to be nit-picky if you like. If this game was free I could see you criticizing her for this, but alas it is not.

She knew, well in advance, and was one of the advocates AGAINST this game. So why did she buy it?

She didn't have to since she was armed with all the information she needed to make her decision. Yet she still did....why don't you ask her why?

I have a question for you. What is your problem? Just because she was against the game to start with does not give you the right to dictate whether she should or shouldn't buy the game. I guess she wanted to see whether the game was worth playing. I haven't bought the game yet. I am still reading peoples reviews about whether they like it or not. I value her response and I think she gave the game a fair try and a fair review.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    Thank you for sharing your honest opinion @Cinebar and for biting the bullet and buying (you took one for the team lol). Based upon your review, I will take another look at The Sims 4 later on when the price drops, probably around Black Friday. I was really hoping you would come on here and type up something that would make me really want to just buy it, but everything you wrote is spot on with how I currently feel about the game without even playing it.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Putting Origin in offline mode may help with lag issues. I know it did in my game; no more lag.
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    Good Lord you're so nit-picky!

I just played over 10 hours today on a single sim and I enjoyed it very much.

Uh, if something is frustrating me, then guess what, I probably won't play it.

Its frustrating you because you can't adapt. You stand there "in your sandbox" and scream and whine and cry because something new doesn't fit in your sandbox.

wow you're hella extra and extremely pressed over someone else's review. can't handle someone not enjoying the game to the same level as you then maybe you should learn to 'adapt' and move on.
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    thanks for the review, I was actually hoping to see it pop up here and glad I found it.

I haven't bought the game so I watch letsplayers on youtube play their families. It's just not engaging enough. probably get sims 4 years later after I see what other EPs are coming out. but right now it's definitely not worth the price or time. lazygamereviews solidified my choice in the end lol.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I just read your review and to be honest I'm not surprised that you found many things wrong with your game. But I get the impression that your mind is just turned too far away from it to accept any good aspects of the game. You opened up the game expecting to find things you didn't like and you went looking for them and found them. We all have free will to be positive or negative as we see fit.

Perhaps if you have opened up your game looking for things you might 'like' instead of 'dislike', your whole experience might have been better and very different - just like in real life.

No way do I expect you to accept or understand how I see this; it's your story after all. So if you want to ignore my post then please do. You're entitled to your own thoughts - we each have our own life and we each have to live with our own thoughts.

Happy simming! :)
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    I just read your review and to be honest I'm not surprised that you found many things wrong with your game. But I get the impression that your mind is just turned too far away from it to accept any good aspects of the game. You opened up the game expecting to find things you didn't like and you went looking for them and found them. We all have free will to be positive or negative as we see fit.

Perhaps if you have opened up your game looking for things you might 'like' instead of 'dislike', your whole experience might have been better and very different - just like in real life.

No way do I expect you to accept or understand how I see this; it's your story after all. So if you want to ignore my post then please do. You're entitled to your own thoughts - we each have our own life and we each have to live with our own thoughts.

The problem is maybe she did that in the first place. Looking for the things she likes about the sims and never finding them which pushed her into dislike. Curiosity usually means im curious about both sides of the story not one. For Cinebar she wanted to see if the game retains it's sandbox/simulation play. On fortunately it didn't with the emotions being more than just emotions but a push for rpg type questing. Fufill this reward this. That is directed play, as she said she tried to ignore it but it kept coming in her face. So how she comes in looking at the game isn't going to change what she ultimately feels about it after she has played. An example is she could come in loving the game and finding she didn't like any of the gameplay and ending up hating it equally as if she came in disliking it realizing she liked all the gameplay and decided she loved it. How you look at the game is what you can enjoy and get out of it.

I also took note that she likes to control her sim to a certain degree but his free will was too high. She'd give him directions and he wouldn't stay doing it. I've seen that a few times in video's where players want they're sims to go here or there and the sim will take to long to respond to that or they'll go but them go off doing there own thing. So i can see how she found that annoying it breaks up the gameplay. She certainly did a lot more than I would of by stepping out and trying said game. Cinebar is an older woman old enough to be my mom i think so it takes time for older people to adapt to new things and adjust to the learning curve. It's probably why she'll keep the game in the end since she intends to give it a fair chance.
  • Options
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Putting Origin in offline mode may help with lag issues. I know it did in my game; no more lag.

What I had to do to end the lag was the following and mostly to do with Origin in the background using CPU. I made sure it I was offline first. Then I tried to exit Origin and it said I couldn't since my game was running. So, o.k. that aggravated me since it uses CPU even when said game is minimized or it. So, I clicked the X in the right hand corner to get around not letting me close it. This does remove it from the tray but still leaves the Origin 32. exe running in the background using CPU. I went into task manager to stop it from running. Which I got a notice then that some things wouldn't be available, but didn't care since this ended some of the awful lag I had started to experience. This didn't end it all but quite a bit of it.
  • Options
    PosterGirl wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing your honest opinion @Cinebar and for biting the bullet and buying (you took one for the team lol). Based upon your review, I will take another look at The Sims 4 later on when the price drops, probably around Black Friday. I was really hoping you would come on here and type up something that would make me really want to just buy it, but everything you wrote is spot on with how I currently feel about the game without even playing it.

Thank you for being nice. I will return the game today, as I feel it's not worth the price at the moment. I feel many things need to be patched and brought back, especially family tree and family connection, like uncle/aunt etc. and not just have them as roomates....that is weird when the game doesn't see kin as kin in this game. I also feel the lack luster venues are a let down, and not even having anywhere to eat in this game is quite boring. Always cooking at home and lol, my Sim though he has fresh tomatoes galore, always says he used bad ingredients in his salad. Right.

It's not just the questy feel of this game, but not much happening unless you do just grind imho. And without the things we know should really have been considered for family players like myself and others, I feel it's not worth said price. I hope EA doesn't piece mill this game out but I know they will since so many bought the whole TS3 store and made it such a success. That is very disappointing. I also tried the build mode and nope, I prefer the old way of building and found the camera controls and not being able to scroll backwards(down) in build mode with mouse aggravating and annoying. I normally don't have to use the keyboard in The Sims series very often but in this game it seems more necessary, and yes, Ana is right I am much older than many here, with older hands and did find the camera and thing in build mode annoying.

I also felt the jarring each time you plop down a room etc. to be excessive.
  • Options
    EleniaElenia Posts: 11 New Member
    One of the clearest distinctions I've seen on who likes or dislikes TS4 is based on "micro manage" vs "non micro manage". TS3, to me felt like I had to micromanage every little aspect of their lives. Or they'd do nothing but read books, play on computer or swim in the pool (and literally, that's exactly what my last family elder did, swim in the pool night and day). I'm not a micro-manager, not in RL as an employer, nor as a Simmer. I only direct them when it comes to achieving certain ends, which is where the RPG style suits me quite nicely so I can give them a good direction based on their traits. But when they've worked hard on those, letting them just be and do their own thing is where TS4 entertains me. I can watch them do their own family thing, watch tv together, go play outside, whatever. And I don't feel I have to force them to grow their relationships.

From the OP I get the idea she's a micro-manager, which means Free Will is going to have to be turned off.

I would also suggest that due to the graphics card, some drivers may need to be updated. I also went Offline mode in Origins and TS4 to start my gameplay. I also realize there is a slow memory leak with TS4 that builds up over time and with the low amount of Ram on that machine, this will need to be monitored. Most games have slow mem leaks, not their fault, more on the end of Windows honestly as far as how it handles memory. Since TS4 is a 32 bit game, rather than a 64bit, this is even more important, as Windows will crash any application that hits it's memory limit in 32Bit. 64Bit is designed to handle memory far more elegantly and EA didn't choose to go the 64bit app route... no idea why other than to catch those on 32bit machines still? Which is sorta crazy considering how long 64bit machines have been out now and are the only types you can buy and have been for years now.

The emotion system is very easily manipulated, so you can cater it to your game play style. It just takes a bit of learning to do so, much like we had to learn to handle moodlets in TS3, you have to learn emotions. They are like moodlets on steroids :) I will say in my legacy family, I don't particularly care about the Male moodlets, just my females (strict Matriarchal game line for me), so I can easily ignore their emotions and whims. Which is really good, as I do not want to stress on his skills or his career or his aspirations. He's just for the baby factor :) (and hey, taking him from his wife was one of those things I couldn't resist!), and yet he'll do his own thing, including working on his skills without me directing him to.

You'll probably also want to change to the Sims 3 dialog mode as well to find the ones you're used to. This will probably help immensely. I personally like the random stuff on the first wheel, but I can see for people's play style that the other way would be better for them.

Hopefully those suggestions will work to help your game play a bit smoother if you want to give it a fair chance. TS4 was designed to give our Simmies more life and heart, and to that end, they did an excellent job, but that also means they will rebel against what you want them to do... which is kinda cute heheheh.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Anavastia wrote: »
    Sucom wrote: »

The problem is maybe she did that in the first place. Looking for the things she likes about the sims and never finding them which pushed her into dislike. Curiosity usually means im curious about both sides of the story not one. For Cinebar she wanted to see if the game retains it's sandbox/simulation play. On fortunately it didn't with the emotions being more than just emotions but a push for rpg type questing. Fufill this reward this. That is directed play, as she said she tried to ignore it but it kept coming in her face. So how she comes in looking at the game isn't going to change what she ultimately feels about it after she has played. An example is she could come in loving the game and finding she didn't like any of the gameplay and ending up hating it equally as if she came in disliking it realizing she liked all the gameplay and decided she loved it. How you look at the game is what you can enjoy and get out of it.

I also took note that she likes to control her sim to a certain degree but his free will was too high. She'd give him directions and he wouldn't stay doing it. I've seen that a few times in video's where players want they're sims to go here or there and the sim will take to long to respond to that or they'll go but them go off doing there own thing. So i can see how she found that annoying it breaks up the gameplay. She certainly did a lot more than I would of by stepping out and trying said game. Cinebar is an older woman old enough to be my mom i think so it takes time for older people to adapt to new things and adjust to the learning curve. It's probably why she'll keep the game in the end since she intends to give it a fair chance.

If someone's mind is closed, it can be a real job opening it up because in general we only see what we want to see! By the way, I'm also an older player, I'm 60 next year, so yes, while I would agree it can be tricky to get 'older' people to adapt to new things (like my mum, for instance, who is 80 and struggles using a mobile phone or computer) but I've discovered there are an awful lot of people my age playing Sims games!

It's not an age thing, adapting to this game, it's whether the game suits each individual or not. For Cinebar, it's lots of things. For me, it's the lack of a colour wheel. We're all having to adapt in some way or another but it's not an age thing.