Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Member or new Member? Everything you need to know ;)

Comments

• Options
    DaijahvDaijahv Posts: 472 Member
    edited August 2014
    Here's what I've learned about the signature issue:

* It can affect any member regardless of join date (as proven by Uhlissuhrose who has been a member since 2009.)

* It can affect any member regardless of point amount (as proven by Burntcheese223 who has over 300 points.)

* It's not browser specific as it is occurring to members using: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

* It's not image hosting specific although I've only encountered two different places (Imgur and Flickr) where these pics have been uploaded.

* It's not rank/role specific. Although I have yet to figure out what in the world a "General" role is (where you'd see most have a country of designation), this does not seem to be a deciding factor for the ability to use signatures. "New members" have the ability to change/add a signature which then disappears AFTER they become full members.

*Everyone I've spoken to has those 3 boxes unchecked.

Further investigation is needed and I'll keep everyone updated with what I find.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Daijahv wrote: »

* It can affect any member regardless of join date (as proven by Uhlissuhrose who has been a member since 2009.)

* It can affect any member regardless of point amount (as proven by Burntcheese223 who has over 300 points.)

* It's not browser specific as it is occurring to members using: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

* It's not image hosting specific although I've only encountered two different places (Imgur and Flickr) where these pics have been uploaded.

* It's not rank/role specific. Although I have yet to figure out what in the world a "General" role is (where you'd see most have a country of designation), this does not seem to be a deciding factor for the ability to use signatures. "New members" have the ability to change/add a signature which then disappears AFTER they become full members.

Further investigation is needed and I'll keep everyone updated with what I find.

Thanks for this! I'm guessing it might be a bug? I defiantly think the messaging is a limitation though
  • Options
    salivacocktailsalivacocktail Posts: 552 Member

I just wanted to add my findings:
    1. It also doesn't appear to depend on the image file type (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc..)
    2. I can have a regular text signature but not an image.
    The following are things that still need to be tested:
    1. The size of the image doesn't seem to matter.
    2. The source of the image doesn't seem to matter.
    3. Whether or not the user can post a picture in their comment doesn't seem to matter.
    The shinbone is a device made for finding furniture in a dark room.
    My Website: salivacocktail.weebly.com
    My Pinterest: pinterest.com/salivacocktail

• Options

1. It also doesn't appear to depend on the image file type (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc..)
    2. I can have a regular text signature but not an image.
    The following are things that still need to be tested:
    1. The size of the image doesn't seem to matter.
    2. The source of the image doesn't seem to matter.
    3. Whether or not the user can post a picture in their comment doesn't seem to matter.
    Thank you for adding :)
  • Options
    Meg1_B2Meg1_B2 Posts: 519 Member
    What can yo do with the points?
  • Options
    Meg1_B2 wrote: »
    What can yo do with the points?

Nothing really, they just give you the member abilities after 50 and then you can try to be on the leader board.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/activity
  • Options
    edited August 2014

* It's not image hosting specific although I've only encountered two different places (Imgur and Flickr) where these pics have been uploaded. I've personally recorded a list of different sources from working signatures and have determined the host does NOT matter, as you theorized.

1. image file type doesn't matter (.jpg, .png, .gif, etc..) I've seen working signature images of all types
    2. I can have a regular text signature but not an image. Personally tested.
    3. Image size doesn't matter. I've personally tried both a large and small image.
    4. The image source doesn't matter. See red text above in Daijahv's quote.
    5. Whether or not the user can post a picture in their COMMENT doesn't matter. Personally tested.
    6. The LENGTH of the image address does not matter. This is the longest URL I have seen for one:
      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NYMnX8D7U_8/Tzi2EePfZXI/AAAAAAAABJI/66zeZOl3Miw/s1600/tumblr_lz0t0ao3FH1r42vt1o1_500.gif

I've tested all my theories and they are correct. I've updated my list to reflect this.
    Post edited by salivacocktail on

• Options
    edited August 2014
    UPDATE!

I am trying to figure out if it has to do with the number of Badges a member currently has. It appears, from what I have seen so far (multiple signatures and # of badges), that you might FINALLY have the ability to post forum IMAGE signatures once you have more than 10 Badges!

Another dead end! :( My theory was proven wrong when I saw this user who has a forum image signature and has only 9 Badges:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/2479479/sophstar007

• Options
    I've tested all I could think of.. anyone else have any theories?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Thank for the info ;)
    None here, then again I turned of all image siggies...
  • Options
    I give up trying to test things..
    panda-back.jpg

• Options

@SalivaCocktail - Wow that was a great investigation! I really hope we can get to the bottom of it but at the very least, have a mod bring attention to this problem. I'm sure they have their hands full with a lot of other things though :(
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    @Susiechan - Thanks for the confirmation. :) I am posting this so I can get a screenshot from IE for the Bugs thread. I noticed in your signature the heart is missing from the end of the sentence on IE. While the emoticons pops up to use, they disappear from the post once you've commented.

:? :? :?

Edit: The bug has been reported. Thanks again @Yanti68 & @Susiechan

Yes, I also experienced the same thing. I can choose the emoticons in IE but once I post my comment, it's gone.
  • Options
    CrescentGamerCrescentGamer Posts: 8 New Member
    I just wanted to say thanks to those who have helped me get closer to being a member. I'm only 9 points off now (so close!).

It stinks starting over, especially since I'm not going to be able to get those plumbob statues for my past games, but I really wanted a new screen name, so... I'm good. :D
  • Options
    I think we also need a badge for disagree :p. Hey, who said that disagreeing is bad ? I think this world will be so lame and bored if people always agree to each other.
  • Options
    @Susiechan - I must be boring. I agreed.

• Options
    @Susiechan - I must be boring. I agreed.

:):) I am too then.
  • Options
    uhlissuhroseuhlissuhrose Posts: 144 Member
    @salivacocktail and @daijahv thanks for compiling those lists and continuing to help try to figure this issue out.
    k0ac2.gif
  • Options
    dltn43dltn43 Posts: 80 Member
    I just wanted to say thanks to those who have helped me get closer to being a member. I'm only 9 points off now (so close!).<br />
    <br />
    It stinks starting over, especially since I'm not going to be able to get those plumbob statues for my past games, but I really wanted a new screen name, so... I'm good. :D

HI @CrescentGamer you should now be a member. :)
    [img][/img]8bh13c873lt4tk24g.jpg
  • Options
    AM35502AM35502 Posts: 105 Member
    So, I just thought I'd drop back into the conversation, just to say some things; they are not really that important, but I just thought I'd say 'em.
    I don't know if this is happening to others, but whenever I look at someone quoting others, stuff (like BBCode and Emoticons) suddenly appear. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering if others also see this. I hope you kind of get what I'm going for... :smile:

I also added a new siggy! (Didn't have one before.)
  • Options
    @SalivaCocktail - LOL! I just read your signature. That's so true :P

@Susiechan - @Yanti68 reported that her IE is working fine now but mine is still doing the same thing. Although I don't primarily use IE as my web browser of choice, it is an issue I hope gets resolved for everyone who does.

@Crescentgamer - Congrats on becoming a member!

@Uhlissuhrose - I really hope it gets sorted out as well. It's obviously nothing on the member side so it must be a forum glitch. It has been reported, now it's a waiting game for a resolution. I read somewhere that this is a testing forum, meaning EAxis is using all of us as guinea pigs.

@AM35502 - That happens when a member quotes a nonmember and the forum reformats the text into BBCode. This is because new members do not have the privilege of quoting others until they reach member status so all of their posts are in basic coding while members have higher formatting. When I do that quotes, I delete the coding because I like it to look neat. Yep, I'm one of those.

Also, I'm glad you were able to add a signature. I thought that vid was funny (it looks like someone has their thumb in the shot - never noticed that before lol). Unfortunately, it's a little larger than the forum limits. If you could try limiting its size to about 600-700 in width and 100-300 in height it will help everyone see the entire image by getting rid of the bottom scroll bar. :)

• Options
    I just logged on and saw that I 'm officially a member!

Thank you guys so much! :D:D:D

I'm off to post some sim pics now.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Great thread! Should be stickied. :)
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    M03.jpg

(This is just a test/thank you pic to see if I can post pics again).

And it looks like I can. :)
  • Options
    badromance99badromance99 Posts: 67 Member
    I've done it. Yes i can :D

happy-sunday-hugs-graphic.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top