Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One-a-Week Poetry Contest: Week 4 - Winner: WrathofCath

There will be one poem a week for 4 weeks, each week, the community will vote for their favorite poems and the winner will be announced and win 1000 sp. (Figure since I'm spacing it out, might as well up the ante!)

So, let's break this down:
Every week you will have to do two things:
    1. Post a poem 2. Vote for your favorite 2

Now, some of these poems will be hard, some will be easy.
Every Monday, I will post a theme for the week. If you can write your poem about that theme, you get an extra 250sp.
Also, every week there will be a different style, if you follow that style, you get an extra 250sp.

And Yes, you may hold off on collecting your winnings until the end. There is a potential to win up to 6000sp (might be more...the last week might have a surprise)!

For style: Musette

The Musette, created by Emily Romano is a poem that consists of three verses of three lines each. The first lines have two syllables; the second lines have four syllables, and the third lines have two syllables. The rhyme scheme is a/b/a for the first verse; c/d/c for the second verse, and e/f/e for the third verse. The title should reflect the poem’s content.

For theme: Childhood

You have until Saturday to write and post. Sunday and Monday is for voting. Tuesday, winner will be announced.

Week Three
14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited April 2014
    Winner Recap:

Week One - TheLessy - 1500/GIFTED
    Week Two - ErnesaT - unsure. Did everyone get their prize? Please let me know.
    Week Three - jezebelthenun - 1500/GIFTED
    Week Four - WrathofCath - 1500/GIFTED
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    edited April 2014
    Alright now!!! I'm all over this one. :mrgreen:
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2014
    ErnesaT wrote:
    Alright now!!! I'm all over this one. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: 8) :lol:
  • Options
    MusicalPoetMusicalPoet Posts: 359 Member
    edited April 2014
    I realize a theme of childhood is most likely meant to be happy....but this is what happened when I tried to write about childhood.....oops. :oops: Sorry for the depressing poem.

Clutching Teddy

Shouting...
    Cover your ears.
    Doubting.

Confused...
    Why are they mad?
    She's bruised.

Closed eyes...
    Clutching Teddy...
    She cries.

• Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thanks ciane =)
  • Options
    SkymystSkymyst Posts: 3,888 Member
    edited April 2014
    Hummm, let me see what I can come up with for this. Hopefully it is something happier!
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited April 2014
    Omg, yes! I have quite a few poems for this.....

Just a reminder question, we can only enter 2 right?
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited April 2014
    Toys
    Light Bright,
    Matchbox, Micros,dice .
    Delight.

Lined up,
    set and ready
    to play

My toys
    desires dreams
    my joys .
  • Options
    DayshatwDayshatw Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2014
    This represents my childhood.

Hiding
    In the closet
    Biding...

Found me
    Cruel game we play
    Bound me

Don't tell
    Lie to mommy
    Lie well

Sorry if it's depressing.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Very emotional poem, Day.

CoffeeFreak the first stanza's second line has one too many syllables and the second stanza's missing its rhyme, but I like!
  • Options
    BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited April 2014
    Omg, yes! I have quite a few poems for this.....

Just a reminder question, we can only enter 2 right?

You can post as many as you want but only one can be voted on.
  • Options
    jezebelthenunjezebelthenun Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited April 2014
    Rough and Tumble

Salt air
    blows and tangles
    long hair

Skinned knees
    Bumps and bruises
    Scaled trees

Tomboy
    Rough and tumble
    Pure joy
  • Options
    mjdrgnptmjdrgnpt Posts: 303 Member
    edited April 2014
    Winter Fun

Flakes fall...
    Let's go have a
    snow brawl.

Snowstorm--
    sip some cocoa,
    get warm.

Next day,
    we are snowed in--
    more play!
  • Options
    PurpleAthenaOwlPurpleAthenaOwl Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2014
    Nice poems everyone!

Service Woman Returns

Laughing
    Running, Tripping
    Crying

Lifted
    Papa Hugging
    Hinted

Gasping
    Finding Mama
    Laughing

I would love any critiques or tips/tricks on how to write better poetry if anyone would like to share their experience with a so far casual poet.
  • Options
    ThelessyThelessy Posts: 1,764 Member
    edited April 2014
    Bullies

Cruel names
    cuts and bruises
    mean games

won't stop
    shove me down and
    I drop

why hate?
    just want friendship
    too late

• Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited April 2014
    Final week! Thank you, Blythe, for hosting another inspirational month of poetry.

My poem this time is about all the people in your childhood who you really trust and in whom you can confide, and the sense of relief in finally getting something off your chest. I hope it's a light relief from the sadness of previous weeks; I wanted to end with a sense of optimism. :)

•••

—Comfort

Feeling
    Scared with insides
    Reeling

Spoken
    Words return but
    Broken

Breathing
    Slow — all worries
    Leaving

•••
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Clutching Teddy - Very nice rhyme and I love the repeat of the beginning C and Cl as well. It adds a nice alliteration to the mix. I can't really tell who the speaker is and who SHE is. It seems like a little girl speaking and yet you end with SHE cries. Is that the older you looking at the younger you? Cover YOUR ears is meant for whom? the reader? the little girl? Is "SHE's bruised" the Mom? Is "SHE cries" the child? Both could apply to both mom and child as well as the older and younger girl. Very poignant!

Toys - You bring alive just the way a child lines up all the favorite toys to play. It doesn't follow pattern exactly, but you've added your own twist to it. The toys are desires and dreams ready and waiting on us!

Hiding - Cruel "game" indeed! Lying and hiding. Waiting, without real hope. Pretending. Very strong poetry. I particularly love the two-syllable rhymes of hiding, biding and found me, bound me.

Rough and Tumble - Love the salt air tangling the long hair; the alliteration of bumps and bruises, skinned and scaled; and the pure joy of being a tom boy. I want to scale the trees before skinning the knees but I also see going from a low of skinned knees to a high of scaled trees reinforced by rough and tumble followed by pure joy. Great poem!

Winter Fun - I can see the children enjoying playing in the snow and coming in to warm up with cocoa. Very nice job with the rhyme and rhythm and bringing a memory alive.

Service Woman Returns - Just curious, is this a child happy to see Mama again after she returns from a long military deployment or the return of Mama after she has been working all day? I love all the "ing"s in the first stanza the repeat of "ing" later and "laughing" at the end, though a true Musette has no repeats of the rhymes in other lines. It is a happy poem. I personally love two-syllable rhymes, internal line rhymes, alliteration, and repeating consonant and vowel sounds within words, lines, and stanzas; so adding any of those works well for me. Your poem presents a picture I can see and feel. Kudos!

Bullies - another sad poem of the cruelty that can exist in childhood. Great rhyme and rhythm and regret as well. I found "down" and "drop" redundant, but it's nice alliteration. The "too late" at the end adds to that feeling of hopelessness and of an unfulfilled dream. Nice job.

Comfort - lovely rhyming words that blend into other words and thoughts without pause. Nice use of alliteration as well. We feel the tension in the beginning and we slow and leave worries with you at the end. Nice effect!

I've found
    true joy in a
    playground.

I spin,
    climb, swing, and slide.
    I grin

happy
    in the moment,
    care free.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ciane wrote:
    Clutching Teddy - Very nice rhyme and I love the repeat of the beginning C and Cl as well. It adds a nice alliteration to the mix. I can't really tell who the speaker is and who SHE is. It seems like a little girl speaking and yet you end with SHE cries. Is that the older you looking at the younger you? Cover YOUR ears is meant for whom? the reader? the little girl? Is "SHE's bruised" the Mom? Is "SHE cries" the child? Both could apply to both mom and child as well as the older and younger girl. Very poignant!

I'm actually happy that you caught the fact that she could apply to so many different people, and that the view could be seen from so many different perspectives. I wrote it this way on purpose, as in many cases it was both the mom and "the girl" (.....me) bruised or crying. Cover you ears applies both to me sitting in my room trying to block out the yelling, as well my mother's denial about the situation and making excuses.
  • Options
    BklynbkbPlayerBklynbkbPlayer Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2014
    Champion

Sidewalk.
    Sketch squares, concrete,
    Blue chalk.

New block.
    Serious face -
    Toss rock,

Boss grin.
    Hopscotch jumping
    I win!

I am loving the poems and form this week! Thanks so much everyone :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I like the Boss grin! Hopscotch - a game hardly ever played except in the sims, I think. Nice rhyme and rhythm!
  • Options
    PurpleAthenaOwlPurpleAthenaOwl Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2014
    Ciane "Service Women Returns" is about a child happy to see her mama return after a long deployment .

Thank you for the critique as well this was my first time writing a Musette. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Ciane "Service Women Returns" is about a child happy to see her mama return after a long deployment .

Thank you for the critique as well this was my first time writing a Musette. :)

I thought that's what it was. We see lots of videos about service members surprising their family when they return.

But, then I thought, it could also work for someone returning after a long day at work. For little ones, the day is always really long and they get excited seeing Mama after so long without her.

I did enjoy the happy little one's excitement. It's a great feel-good poem!
  • Options
    WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    edited April 2014
    Fleeting Youth

Sweet Dreams
    Are Possible,
    It Seems.

Troubles,
    Float Away Like
    Bubbles.

Too Fast,
    Our Youth Becomes