Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Sims Delivery Express Today! 5/25

Comments

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Mortimer and the kids didn't change much, but Bella looks older and more like a proper lady now. I am sure she kept her old red dress somewhere. :lol:

They kept Bella as a YA when she and Mortimer are supposed to be around the same age, according to TS3.

Not sure about the age, but Bella was always the hot younger wife. The new one doesn't look like Bella anymore.

I agree, it doesn't look like Bella.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2022
    For me I would've done something more like this for Bella, still very recognisable but the skin tone matches older games more and she has a slightly more aged look
    05-25-22-7-27-43-PM.png
    05-25-22-8-36-15-PM.png

Alternatively if they were willing to use a pack hair for Bella the Dream Home Decorator hair could work nicely
    05-25-22-8-16-17-PM.png
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    So the point of this was to either [try to] appease older players or those who prefer "realism" in their sims games? Oy vey.
    They haven't even introduced a chunk of their promo sims to the gallery, and this is the equivalent of a "townie makeover" with added bio changes (if they've done that). Give any simmer a few hours, and they can do much the same.

Items look nice, though. I suppose it's to promote the new CAS kit pack.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I really don't like the redesigns. The Original Sims 4 Goths looked a lot like their Sims 1 counterparts which I really like. The only thing that they needed to fix was Bella and Cassandra needed to have tanner skin tones. It was usually implied Bella was supposed to be a lot younger than Mortimer so I thought it was fine that she didn't look that old. I'm going to keep using my versions of them though so I don't have to keep remaking them have their Sims 1 careers/be spellcasters.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Judging this from vacation ... Didn't they announce a new moustache for Mortimer? And now he got the old ugly thin Mafiosi moustache 😥! We need a sexy new moustache so urgently!!
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2022

Mortimer and the kids didn't change much, but Bella looks older and more like a proper lady now. I am sure she kept her old red dress somewhere. :lol:

They kept Bella as a YA when she and Mortimer are supposed to be around the same age, according to TS3.

Not sure about the age, but Bella was always the hot younger wife. The new one doesn't look like Bella anymore.

I agree, it doesn't look like Bella.

Yeah, same, this one doesn't feel like Bella. But I kinda knew I would feel that way. There was no way they were going to do this and please everyone.

The old Bella maybe didn't look like she did in the previous games but she was iconic and her old look is probably how I will remember her in The Sims 4.

5szqT7r.png
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    I don't like them either and this is a pet peeve of mine - changing the way established characters look. A makeover is one thing, but they don't even look like the same characters.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited May 2022
    I really don't see the point of those makeovers, seems like another useless thing to waste time on that could be spent fixing bugs instead. But I do like the items that came today. That lamp is so cute! I can see myself using it a lot.

This is a response from the dev team because people have been complaining that especially the Goths and the Calientes look nothing like their ethnicity. There have been posts for YEARS on these forums about how the Bella and the Calientes were whitewashed in Sims 4.
    (And yes there is a Caliente makeover coming too).

But I guess now the other half of the fans complain instead? This is just going to be the whole Bowing thing again, isn't it? *Sigh*
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    In general I said a couple of days ago in "unpopular opinions" that I have no longer care about the townies overhaul, but I have expected that EA will add our townies more personalities, small improvements such as nails or new skintone, relations, likes, dislikes ect. but instead od any improvement I see reggression. Goths no longer look like Goths even from the previous games. Everyone have black-red clothes only for every ocasion and weather. There is no personality improvement, no new relation and totally nothing new. Even the skincolour is bad. Have we really been waiting for something like this?

It's something I've noticed, that especially since The Sims 3, the Goths (among others) have been so heavily flanderised.

Flanderisation is when you take a minor aspect of a character and make it their entire personality. It comes from Ned Flanders from the Simpsons who started the series as Homer's friendly, well meaning church going neighbour, but over the years the church going aspect of Ned morphed into a religious zealot who is hugely intolerant of anything that differs from his world viewpoint.

The same has been done with the Goth family. The fact that every one of their outfits is black or dark red seems so limiting.

One area where this is most apparent is their houses. In the Sims 1 and 2, they live in brighter, lighter coloured rooms, with robust craftsman style furniture. The Sims 2 especially leans heavily into the Art Nouveau furniture, which formed part of the arts and crafts movement and was a rejection of Victorian gothic. Mortimer wears purples, yellows and blues, Alexander is dressed like Eddie Munster, and Cassandra is the only outwardly gothic dresser.

In the Sims 3 and 4, they took the whole gothic aesthetic up to eleven and transformed everyone into some cheap horror B movie from the 50s (which to be fair, Bustin Out did first), but in each version, they've become more gothic and ostentatious, with dark wood tones, candelabras, grand pianos and Victorian furniture up the wazoo. Ironically, the Bachelor house in the Sims 3 is probably closer in style and tone than the Goth Manor when you compare them to the earlier games.

If anyone has ever played Resident Evil Village, it is like everyone thinks the Goths live a life like in Castle Dimitrescu when in reality, they are closer to House Beneviento.

I think one area where they get pigeonholed in is the constant comparisons to the Addams family, sure Mortimer looks a bit similar to Gomez, in that they both have moustaches, and both Cassandra and Wednesday have pigtails, but that is pretty much where the similarities end. In what way is Bella anything like Morticia? Or is it a case that since Mortimer and Cassandra sort of fit, Bella must too?

In terms of this makeover, I'm not sure. As mentioned before, there is way too much black and dark red. Bella and Cassandra seem quite dusty in terms of skin colour, and Alexander is completely different to what has been seen before in the franchise.

I think a better choice for Bella's everyday outfit would have been the bustier wraparound top in red with the red pencil skirt (both are base game) which looks close to her dress in style and cut in earlier games, without looking too formal or out of place the party dress they've given her (or the clubbing one she had at the beginning of 4).
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I had a thought, I think I might like them more if they had added them to the gallery instead of just shoving in the game, oh well they can hang out with baby ariel in my delete immediately wave sometimes I forget about her too.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    Did this update take longer than usual to download for anyone else?
  • Options
    Brd709 wrote: »

Origin didn't even indicate an update for me, that's how quick it was.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member

You don't see the SDX update until you're on the main menu in game. Did you get a pop-up asking you to restart?
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member

I was mid-purchase with Strangerville when my laptop started to sound like it were about to take off when the delivery started, then Strangerville began to download as well so that may have kept the delivery going a bit longer than it should have.
  • Options

You don't see the SDX update until you're on the main menu in game. Did you get a pop-up asking you to restart?

Of course; It literally took 0.5 second after the main menu opened to the request to reboot the game.
  • Options

I was mid-purchase with Strangerville when my laptop started to sound like it were about to take off when the delivery started, then Strangerville began to download as well so that may have kept the delivery going a bit longer than it should have.

That's probably it; some updates require to be done in specific order to work.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2022
    I'm a little disappointed I thought Lin-Z got a new face too :p

Sorry Lin-Z, it's just a lamp !
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Did they at least give the Goths likes and dislikes?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited May 2022
    Gordy wrote: »

They probably all dislike Queen Anne decor ...and mail boxes :D

Seriously though, likes and dislikes for unplayed sims seem to be randomly generated.

It would have been nice had they just uploaded the new Goths to the Gallery, but permanently changing them in game after 8 years... :(
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »

They didn't. but i immediately went into a new game, gave them that and exported them.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Aww, that's a shame. Since we don't have individual bios to flesh them out, it would have been a nice way to give them more personality.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    I thought you'd have to download them in the gallery and it would be optional? Not sure I like the idea of families just being changed.
    Alexander looks all wrong, wasn't he always very pale? And Bella looks older.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I actually quite liked both Bella's and Mortimer's concept art, so I'm kinda sad that they deviated away from it slightly. Anyway, I tried to make Bella match her concept art a little more, and I prefer my version way more.

I do wish we had some more subtle aging details though, because most of the lines and wrinkles are too strong/defined. It would be great if we could get some more nasolabial crease styles, preferably shorter ones.

cc3SoTJ.png
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Okay I finally got home and checked out what they changed for the Goths and I'm just... not convinced.

It's much more important to me that a character looks like themselves than 'they should like a _____ person' cause well, people of a certain background don't always look just ONE way. Most of them got their iconic features changed which is a shame. Mortimer's mustache is much thinner now, Cassandra doesn't have her signature round glasses she consistently had since her inception, Alexander doesn't even look like himself and Bella doesn't wear her ICOINIC DRESS anymore, which is like... her signature look. While the Calientes already don't look much like themselves, I'm a little scared for what they have in store...

I do appreciate Cassandra finally having a darker skintone like she always had (well, similar at least), but now Alexander is the one who's looks are very inconsistent now.