Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open worlds discussion

chocolatefrostingchocolatefrosting Posts: 67 Member
edited April 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It's been really hard for the Sims 4 to keep my attention for long periods of time because it's not an open world.

That is the sole issue with the game for me. I just hate the loading screens and more than anything, I hate that if I take one sim out, I have no control over the rest of the family.

This has hugely affected the amount of sims that I play with at a time as well as the amount of time that I spend on a game before getting tired of it.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is there any hope for the Sims to become an open world again?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Of course you have control over them, you left them at home, they're waiting there for you to come back to them. I didn't like the open world in TS3, the textures were meh, took time to load, and sims moving in high speed around the neighbourhood and causing the screen image to change rapidly was annoying. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it caused motion sickness, but it was close.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Personally, I hope they never make another open world sims game. Open world is a wonderful thing for a game where you play just one character, or group of characters, like in an RPG, but for the Sims, it leads to having all of the sims 'active' even if they are households that you normally play, but rotate between. Just causes no end of headaches for rotational players.

On top of that, it takes all the resources to keep track of all those sims at the same time, leading to sacrifices in other aspects of the game and/or performance issues. Without really adding anything at all other than "no loading screens". I'm sorry, I'll take the loading screens in my Sims game in that case.

I would like to see them implement open neighborhoods though, where all lots in one neighborhood are loaded when you have a sim there. And add seemless loading, rather than loading screens. Which is actually what games like Skyrim and World of Warcraft do. They have the appearance of being "open world" but the world is actually in grids, and only the grids closest to the player are loaded at any given time. The loading happens in the background as you move about, so you don't see loading screens.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I could write an essay on this topic, but its late here, so am not going to at the moment :)

In summary - give me set piece and/or hand crafted 'levels' over open world anytime.

Tho not normally thought of open world, games like Crusader Kings are what is proper open world to me - a proper persistent changing world that responds to what I as a player does.

Now if Paradox and Maxis got together and made video game babies together - I'm in.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    They have the appearance of being "open world" but the world is actually in grids, and only the grids closest to the player are loaded at any given time. The loading happens in the background as you move about, so you don't see loading screens.

Yes, you don't see the loading screens, but you see the textures loading, which to me is the same thing. TS3 was particularly annoying because they loaded visibly all the time whenever you moved the camera around and on very short distances. If I turned camera to the right, bam, loading textures, if I turned it the other way, again, more loading textures, and it was annoying having to always give it 5 seconds or so for the things to display properly. It also offered no benefit to play the entire neighbourhood because sims were usually occupied or stuck elsewhere and community venues were empty or simply rabbitholes.
  • Options
    @Stormkeep Now that's an excellent idea, even just a "semi-open world" or open neighborhoods would make the gameplay so much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I would also just like the neighborhoods to be more open and have more to do in them. I like the community feel of the smaller neighborhoods. I wish there were some more lots.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    Tbh I had this problem when sims was open world game because I was used to ts2 and 1 way and I was delighted when ts4 again focused on lots instead of whole world that was mega overwhelming and distracting to me in ts3 and i kept feeling so disconnected to everything in the game

one thing you can do to sort of feel more like its open world however is to build multipurpose lots in ts4 so you don't have to actually leave lot so often and you can take whole family with you when theres something for everyone to do
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I was never a fan of the open world in sims 3. As soon as my family had more than one member, they could be scattered across the map and I found it a pain to zoom across the map between sims. And I couldn't ignore the sims at home because they remained active 24/7. Besides, I found the open worlds to be closed at the same time because they were self contained. Most packs brought its own world which was completely separate from the existing ones. you had to start a new save to explore the world of a new pack (or move your existing sims and cut ties with all their friends and extended families)

For sims 4, it would have been nice to have open neighbourhood. It could be an open environment on a smaller scale with the option to travel to other neighbourhoods. A loading screen to load the lot across the street is annoying.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    It's funny because I loved the open world of TS3 at the time and hated it at first when it was taken away from us. But now I prefer the loading screens to the downsides of the open world.

I'm not even too fussed about having open neighbourhoods anymore - unless it is a community area. It would be nice to be able to designate an area as community and have that be open so that all shops and entertainment could be visited without loading screens but I cannot see a way for them to do that unless it was EA-designated districts.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I would love to see larger neighborhoods that we can edit (outside of the active lot) so there could be fully customizable community spaces that would be open, including any shops that were built there. I would also like more continuity between neighborhoods - they don’t really piece together as they are now, and it makes it feel disjointed. Then take it a step further and have the “worlds” fit together in an actual world map that’s not Earth. A world-building tool would be fabulous, as well, that we can shape as we like and customize the terrains and weather in defined sections. Of course, this wouldn’t be at all likely in the Sims 4 but could be in a future iteration.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited April 2022
    babajayne wrote: »
    I would love to see larger neighborhoods that we can edit (outside of the active lot) so there could be fully customizable community spaces that would be open, including any shops that were built there. I would also like more continuity between neighborhoods - they don’t really piece together as they are now, and it makes it feel disjointed. Then take it a step further and have the “worlds” fit together in an actual world map that’s not Earth. A world-building tool would be fabulous, as well, that we can shape as we like and customize the terrains and weather in defined sections. Of course, this wouldn’t be at all likely in the Sims 4 but could be in a future iteration.

Not being able put at least a bench outside the lots is really frustrating.

You would have thought that would have been the obvious direction for the game to go after they made the connection from SimCity to The Sims 2 all those years ago. Wasn't to be, I guess.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited April 2022
    I am fine with open world, enjoyed it on the sims 3.
    Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I loved the open world of TS3. Disnt really have any issues with textures loading and i didnt have to control all the sims in that household, they would do their own thing and take care of themselves.

But I don't think open world is possible with TS4. I also don't mind the loading screen, they've never really bothered me guess that's from my TS1 and TS2 days. I will say that it would be nice if individual neighborhoods were open.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm not a fan of totally open worlds. Maybe more open neighborhoods/districts. However, I actually enjoy not having to control another Sim while I'm playing another member of the household. It was annoying to me in TS3 to command one Sim to do something in one place while I did something for another Sim in another place on the map. Because the one I left would run back home and didn't always follow commands. In TS4 I enjoyed (very much) taking two or more Sims somewhere, changing my mind and leaving the other there for a time while I went to another lot or spot with another Sim.

Then I could even take the Sim back home and the other one I left somewhere will eventually come home on their own. I really, really loved that about TS4 since I play large household most of the time in these games so yay, peace and quiet for a few hours. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Well I was disappointed when TS4 was announced as not having "open world" but instead had open neighborhoods, so I was like ok I can work with that ......

Until .......

We discovered that was not really true.

It's open ONLY in the areas that EA has designated, not the player! An "open neighborhood" should not mean if I visit the store literally 5 tiles away from my sims house, that I need to hit a loading screen, if I want to visit my neighbor right next door I should not need to hit a loading screen in an "open neighborhood".

I'm fine with not having open world ...... IF we had true, open neighborhoods that I can modify how I want.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    I'd like an open world for the Sims 5 and will play it as long as there is a single player option.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I don't mind the loading screen between neighborhoods, but I would love the ability to have each neighborhood open as @Chicklet453681 mentions, the abillity to walk to a store, the neighbors, park without traveling through loading screen. I also would like more lots in order to make a neighborhood more like an actual town with community lots that I don't have to lose residential lots in order to build/have in game.
  • Options
    Well I was disappointed when TS4 was announced as not having "open world" but instead had open neighborhoods, so I was like ok I can work with that ......

Until .......

We discovered that was not really true.

It's open ONLY in the areas that EA has designated, not the player! An "open neighborhood" should not mean if I visit the store literally 5 tiles away from my sims house, that I need to hit a loading screen, if I want to visit my neighbor right next door I should not need to hit a loading screen in an "open neighborhood".

I'm fine with not having open world ...... IF we had true, open neighborhoods that I can modify how I want.

You can visit neighbours lots just fine. You get a loading screen only if you want to enter their houses. Maybe we should get an option to knock on door and call sim outside so we can talk and hang out with them in their yard without loading the lot.
  • Options
    @MoonCrossWarrior22 really? What mod is that?
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited April 2022
    @MoonCrossWarrior22 really? What mod is that?

nvm, I tested to see if it really was the no intro mod that did that but turns out I just have a very fast PC.
    Sorry about that, at first I thought it was faster because of no intro but yea. D:
    Took like less than 2 mins to get into game though.

*feels dumb* >.>

You could try the Lazy Dutches Smooth Patch though, it has said it reduces lag for in game + loading. It might help, I have not tried it myself since my PC is too fast.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

You can visit neighbours lots just fine. You get a loading screen only if you want to enter their houses. Maybe we should get an option to knock on door and call sim outside so we can talk and hang out with them in their yard without loading the lot.

But why else would I visit their house if it wasn't to visit with them and hang out in their house?

That's what I was meaning, I didn't realize I needed to literally spell out what "visiting my neighbor's lot" meant to me.

I would totally love seeing my neighbors out in their yards sitting in lawn chairs, or checking their mail, doing gardening/yard work, playing in the sprinkler, bathing their dog outside, sunbathing by the pool, coming home from work, going to work or school, seeing them take their trash out, etc.

That's what I was really hoping would happen in TS4's so-called open neighborhoods.

• Options

But why else would I visit their house if it wasn't to visit with them and hang out in their house?

That's what I was meaning, I didn't realize I needed to literally spell out what "visiting my neighbor's lot" meant to me.

I would totally love seeing my neighbors out in their yards sitting in lawn chairs, or checking their mail, doing gardening/yard work, playing in the sprinkler, bathing their dog outside, sunbathing by the pool, coming home from work, going to work or school, seeing them take their trash out, etc.

That's what I was really hoping would happen in TS4's so-called open neighborhoods.

When you want to hang out in their house, you can do so with a loading screen. Without a loading screen you can visit them in their back yard, use their pool, BBQ, easel, etc. talk to them. If they are your next door neighbours, sims visit often, instead of asking them to come in, you can go to their places and hang out with them in their back yard. Depending on the neighbourhood, you can see other sims going about but most lots are too far away to actually see them doing random stuff around their house. And I must confess I was never curious enough to spy on my sims' neighbours in house lots but I've certainly seen my sim's neighbours in apartments coming home and throwing trash and getting their mail.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Open world is possible, depends on how they would design it, games have come a long way since sims3 which was released in 2009.

I'm tired of loading screens, I think the solution in the sims4 works when playing a single sim or when traveling with a few sims but if you want to play an entire household and have them do things while you are visiting another lot like a night club, the whole system falls apart. Sims will stay awake at night and will not have enough needs taken care of if you wanted to do something with them the next day.

The next sims game needs a better system in my opinion, we need a better system for people who want to play larger households and also allow us to visit community lots and other lots without having to reload the entire neighborhood.

It will be a very limited life simulator game otherwise.
  • Options
    movefan89movefan89 Posts: 60 Member
    I love open world. The only problem with it is it’s a bit laggy
  • Options
    When you want to hang out in their house, you can do so with a loading screen.

Which is exactly what my original comment was regarding .... this "open neighborhood" we were told about, is not REALLY open because I can't go inside my neighbor's house without hitting a loading screen, I can't visit retail stores, restaurants, bars, lounges, libraries, pool venues and so on that is IN MY SIM'S NEIGHBORHOOD, sometimes right next door to their house, without hitting a loading screen.

I thought it was going to be, you know actually open, as in all of the areas, lots, houses, community venues, etc, etc I would have access to freely go visit without a loading screen until I ventured past that particular neighborhood.