Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I give a Chemistry set to a non-scientific sim?

FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
There is a Chemistry set that Science Sims can access at the Science Lab but it isn't unlocked for any sims outside of the Science Career (or at least you can't buy it thru Buy Mode). I have an Engineering sim that could use it cause it seems to give off spare robot parts which you need to build stuff but for some reason the Engineering career doesn't count towards unlocking the chemistry set. What I'm wondering is can I have a sim that is a Mad Scientist just buy an extra chemistry set and then go and give it as a gift to my Engineering sim and would it then work for them?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    To the best of my memory unless your Sim is in a particular career it won't work for them, even if you do have something on your lot. I think there were huge complaints about this but I'm pretty sure unlike TS2 where the household or anyone on a lot could use career un-lockable objects, TS4 doesn't allow it. Maybe there is a cheat to make the game think your Sim is in that career or something. Or a mod.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    edited April 2022
    @Cinebar is right. For some reason, they locked the chemistry table to only be usable specifically by scientist sims.

You can get it with the "bb.showhiddenobjects" cheat (you have to enter the "testingcheats true" cheat first), but unfortunately, it is only usable by scientist sims (non-scientists will see the option grayed out, with a note that says only scientists understand how to use it). I think that was a poor design choice, personally, and I find it annoying. I wish they had not done that.

There is this "science at home" mod: https://www.patreon.com/posts/33607965 But it looks like you have to choose the science or science at home career (I think, based on my understanding of the description), so your sim wouldn't be able to be an engineer. I also have not used this mod, and I am not familiar with this modder, so I don't know how good it is.

I remember seeing a mod somewhere that unlocked the chemistry table for all sims, but I can't seem to find it now.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I guess just having my sim change careers for one day just to get the Lab wouldn't do any good as you point out. What is a good way to get those necessary robot parts then cause everything you need to build requires those bits. Scavenging the trash I know sometimes gives up those bits but that sure is a slow, tedious process. I noticed one day at the science lab whenever a sim would be working at the Chemistry Lab every few seconds they would be getting parts in their inventory. I guess I'll just have to have a Science sim save up lots and lots of those and then just gift them over to my Engineer sim when they get home?
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    @FlamingoKicker1, If you mean Robotic Salvage parts, you can buy them from the computer "order" menu. Select "Order"->"Purchase Upgrade Parts" and they are in the list along with all the handiness upgrade parts.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    edited April 2022
    There are cheats to unlock all of the career rewards: bb.ignoregameplayunlockentitlements.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also use the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat as well.

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure you can also use them in manage worlds. I used them to build my community center in Oasis Springs.

But if you just need it for robot salvage parts, @Stormkeep's suggestion would probably be easier. Also, fix broken objects (and maybe even upgrading) gives you a couple as well. Unless that's a mod setting.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Can’t you get free robot parts from tinkering at the robotics station? It takes a little while but if you’re wanting them for free, I’m sure I’ve gotten them that way.
  • Options
    Thanks. Those are all great advice.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Rummaging in repair piles, bins and dumpsters also gives parts.

Also, in the remains of dead Servos, but these are rare.

Salvaging for parts might work too, if you've unlocked it. (One unlocked you can get loads of good parts by salvaging everything possible at GeekCon). Not sure if this includes robot parts, but it's great for basic and electronic ones.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sometimes when your Sim digs in a dirt pile, they get robot parts.