Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tartosa is boring, and commentary about same-y worlds in general

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    I hate that purchasing a wedding cake isn't located in a usable building. I wouldn't buy a wedding cake from a street vendor. I would have expected a Cafe with outdoor seating but then again this world falls flat for me and rains far too often to even enjoy a bakery/cafe type lot. I did build a bakery and cafe in Magnolia Promenade and the cakes made at the bakery where one of my sims works has cakes that never spoil. Gotta love fresh chef.

You can add the new cakes to your bakery and buy them from there. The bakery in Tartosa is not a street vendor, they are located in a building and sell takeaway food. In real life no one buys the big cakes in person, they are usually delivered by the bakery in a refrigerated car.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    I would rather have rabbit hole buildings like in Sims 3 than the empty shell buildings that are used just to make a town look full. Especially since lots are so limited in Sims 4.
    It bothered me to have the shell buildings, I always found myself wanting to go into them, was too much of a tease for me. I much rather have buildable, or at least playable lots.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I would rather have rabbit hole buildings like in Sims 3 than the empty shell buildings that are used just to make a town look full. Especially since lots are so limited in Sims 4.
    It bothered me to have the shell buildings, I always found myself wanting to go into them, was too much of a tease for me. I much rather have buildable, or at least playable lots.

Yes, but at least with TS3, you could add lots almost any where, so there was literally no restriction on how many non-rabbit hole lots you could have to make a neighborhood more interactive and lively. Don't like that the theater is a rabbithole? Cool, just make your own non-rabbithole version, and put it wherever you like!
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Yes, but at least with TS3, you could add lots almost any where, so there was literally no restriction on how many non-rabbit hole lots you could have to make a neighborhood more interactive and lively. Don't like that the theater is a rabbithole? Cool, just make your own non-rabbithole version, and put it wherever you like!

I don't get why people say that. There was still a space limit...I never could fit everything I wanted to in any of the worlds.
    Owning all of the packs for TS4, I have far more total lots available than could fit in any TS3 world.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

Rabbit holes were built in the game in a way that didn't allow you to get rid of them. Yes, you could build some non rabbit hole locations, and in some cases only if you bought the TS3 store stuff, but you still needed the rabbit holes for career and such. And even venues like shops that supposedly weren't rabbit holes, they were still a rabbit hole.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »

I don't get why people say that. There was still a space limit...I never could fit everything I wanted to in any of the worlds.
    Owning all of the packs for TS4, I have far more total lots available than could fit in any TS3 world.

Of course, there is a space limit as the worlds was not limitless but for me I rather have the ability to place lots where I want them to be than have them in the same spot all the time and on top of that the lot sizes are locked in with no way to keep your house size w/o cutting it to fit if you have to turn it. For me I have less lots as I can't expand in the neighborhood. So my creativity level was how EA/Maxis wanted it to be and not my own.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I agree as you see there was more freedom in how you wanted your world to look but not in Sims 4 especially when it came down to editing lots and such and I miss that, and it would have worked in Sims 4 but EA/Maxis had other plans.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Hm, now you made me recall I built my own rabbit holes in TS3 - say a Town Hall would have offices and meeting rooms, and in the basement I placed the real thing (rabbit hole house object). Sims would then enter my custom town hall in order to get married etc.

I wonder if the Tartosa city hall (?) can be placed in a community lot basement... TS3 had the detailed lot menu frm hood view though, we could just click on the service we wanted to use before even entering the lot.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @Simmerville, right now the town hall interactions are tied to the large building and involve some animations as sims exit the building so it would take a modder to untie that stuff before you could use the town hall on a community lot without actually having the whole building present and interactable, i.e. you can put it on a community lot if you want, but you wouldn't want it in the basement because your sims would still need to go up to it and 'into' the front door and a building that size would look really weird in a basement.

That said, you could certainly add the building to another town that way. And I'm hoping that some modder more talented than I am frees the interactions from the building and instead adds them to just a door or something, like what we got for TS3. That way you could build your own in whatever style fits the world you want to put it in.

Blows my mind that after all these years the Sim's team still ties stuff like this to a building rather than a door that we can use however we want. It's like they learn nothing from the past.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I made 6 different timeline game saves over 2 years ago so that I wouldn't feel limited with my Worlds.
    I find my Oasis Springs, Windenburg, Forgotten Hollow, Brindleton Bay, Sulani, Glimmerbrook, Henford & Tartosa is so perfect with my different historical timeline game saves.
    My San Myschino City, Strangerville & Evergreen Harbor is great for my 20th Century & Futuristic game saves.

I just don't get bored with Sims 4 anymore & all I use is my packs & imagination. ;)
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited March 2022
    I look at south square cafe in Windenburg and i think to myself, there is an opportunity to have the cafe below and a living space above, completely separate. There is many things that could of been done better by the devs, but after snowy escapes and saw it written on the wall (figuratively), the developers are not trying for quality any more they are going for quantity. As usual no one paid any attention, all too happy to be taken for a ride by the new and latest shiny.
  • Options
    TwinMagicTwinMagic Posts: 23 Member
    If they wanted to make a Mediterranean world, though, this is probably the most bland approach they could take, because if the lots (by the game changers, not them, might I add) were not there, I wouldn't even know this world is Mediterranean.

Exactly.. outside of the trees and little house on the island I feel like this world doesn’t really look Mediterranean . It looks more like they tried to put 2 or 3 different world ideas into one pack and now they all are fighting for the spotlight .

This is one example of what I personally think of when I think Mediterranean…
    3gptbassxcgz.jpeg
    or9sbawlj317.jpeg
    hr0ike3jwyka.jpeg
    i667j96saa6w.jpeg
    61h6k4rh6rbi.jpeg
    yo6ag4d8yryw.jpeg
    p817s78mpei0.jpeg

First of all let me say that I live in a Mediterranean Island! I have been in various mediterranean countries Malta, Cyprus, Greece and also France - Monaco (Côte d’Azur), I also went to Italy but not in a mediterrenean place but I have some knowledge about Italy!

The photos you posted are mostly Greek islands and ancient Greek monument which is not the only thing in Mediterranean Sea!
    The world you could say that looks A BIT like Mediterranean Italy (maybe Sicily?) and maybe Franch Riviera, if that's what the developers wanted as Mediterranean they kind of manage! The problem they are not very recognizable!

HOWEVER I do agree that they should have went with a much more Greek Mediterranean style as is MUCH easier distinguishable that almost everyone saw before and recognize as Mediterranean and the fact that it looks amazing!
    Also the actually Weddings + Greece its an extremely good combination! For anyone that knows, its a big event marriages in Greece!
    If you did not watch the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Watch it and believe me that marriage in Greece can be like that!:p

Also snow in mediterreanan area... once every 10 years maybe?:p -> Well some mediterreanan countries have mountains and on the mountains it might have snow in the winter but on the beach front its highly unlikely!
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member

But it takes many TS4 worlds to have the room you get in 1 (one) TS2 or TS3 world. The problem with TS4 worlds is that most of the area is fake that we can't even get to, let alone use. Much of the area we can send sims to is likewise not editable. All of which are the wonderful legacy of the game's online origins. :(
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I don't disagree with that, @Oldeseadogge, but in TS3 you only get one (residential) world in a single game. I like to play the same game for years. You understand, I hope, why that makes it worse for me and for my playstyle when it comes to available space, yah?
    I also like to have as many unplayed sims as possible still have their own homes. Making it more limiting as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I don't play TS3, so can't comment on the situation there apart from what I've seen of the maps and brief experiments way back when. My primary experience is in TS2 with TS4 secondary.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I don't play TS3, so can't comment on the situation there apart from what I've seen of the maps and brief experiments way back when. My primary experience is in TS2 with TS4 secondary.

Yah, in that case, TS2 is undoubtedly a far cry better in terms of the amount of room and lots you get. There are many things about TS2 that are better than TS4, that's one example.

My statement was purely about in comparison to TS3, for which I think far, far too many people give it way too much credit when it comes to the aspect of "lot space" available. I think too many people are mistaking "space" with "customization"...and they just aren't the same thing.
    That's actually my second biggest gripe with TS3, the first being what a total pain it makes trying to play rotationally. Not that you can't play rotationally, but the game design itself actively works against you if you do.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    @Simmerville, right now the town hall interactions are tied to the large building and involve some animations as sims exit the building so it would take a modder to untie that stuff before you could use the town hall on a community lot without actually having the whole building present and interactable, i.e. you can put it on a community lot if you want, but you wouldn't want it in the basement because your sims would still need to go up to it and 'into' the front door and a building that size would look really weird in a basement.

That said, you could certainly add the building to another town that way. And I'm hoping that some modder more talented than I am frees the interactions from the building and instead adds them to just a door or something, like what we got for TS3. That way you could build your own in whatever style fits the world you want to put it in.

Blows my mind that after all these years the Sim's team still ties stuff like this to a building rather than a door that we can use however we want. It's like they learn nothing from the past.

You brilliant man!!

Then you could build a town-hall meant for spellcasters placed in a park in their little forgotten corner of the world. There could be a portal to the magcial realm and lots of other interesting things and a door if you want to get married quickly. That would have been so much more versatile.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    My biggest problem is not with the lack of lots (I DO prefer the "Unlimited easy travel between worlds" in Sims 4 over Sims 3's HUGE but limited maps; as pointed out even the biggest maps in Sims 3 could not handle all lot types at once, and many of my favorite worlds were just too small to handle more than maybe one extra lot) but that anything NOT on a lot is not properly used by the AI in FO4, the two most obvious examples are diving boyos and the ski slopes; it is virtually impossible to get non-controlled Sims to use those at all since they are outside lot limits and therefore treated as they don't exist by the AI.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek