Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tartosa is boring, and commentary about same-y worlds in general

Comments

• Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    @simgirl1010 do you have a gallery link or name for the pastry shop?
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    @simgirl1010 do you have a gallery link or name for the pastry shop?

It's in this thread. 🙂

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/997356/share-your-my-wedding-stories-builds#latest
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Thank you :)
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    For me not having the ability to make my own lots or even edit them makes worlds or neighborhoods boring. Lots is what makes worlds and Neighborhoods exciting or boring. Yes, some of the neighborhoods look great but the downer for me is where I am forced to build or how I built as you cannot expand or shrink the lots, they are all in the same spots. You built a house bigger than the lot that is available, you can try to rotate the house, but you would still have to cut something instead of increasing the lot size. Therefore, my creativity is held hostage by EA/Maxis. It will always come back to comparing one version to another for if there was no Sims 2 or 3 it would be no issue but however there was so I have to compare what I could do and what I can't do now. I wish I could accept the way things are now, but I can't when I know Sims 4 can do better than give me Neighborhoods that are 35% usable and 65% Art. Yes, there is a lot of content in the form of items and a few features which for me is watered down or gimped. I haven't played Sims 4 for quite some time because it is too limited. All said is my opinion and is subjective of course. B)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited March 2022
    its kinda interesting to me that others remember ts3 worlds so fondly

for me i couldn't tell them apart if you showed me the maps even if you gave me world names to match up with the worlds :sweat_smile:

most of the residential pack worlds feel extremely similar to me and the only store world i had was dragon valley which was also kinda meh tbh

also tartosa really reminds me of ts3 worlds where you literally have your sim running miles of nothing only to enter same old rabbit holes :sweat_smile:

ofc in ts3 it helped you could edit the worlds and place extra lots n stuff to your liking

and ofc there was more activity to do with transportation overall like cars horses strollers whatever to make it less tiresome

but tbh i do prefer sims 4 worlds
    i just wish they were little more themey and little less similar to each other

so many of our worlds now default to green grass blue sky flat ground taking trip to windows background

which okay so far so nice sure but i yearn for something completely different by now if they're gonna keep making more worlds

something that just doesn't exist in the game at all
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    edited March 2022
    Simmingal wrote: »

so many of our worlds now default to green grass blue sky flat ground taking trip to windows background

which okay so far so nice sure but i yearn for something completely different by now if they're gonna keep making more worlds

Exactly!
    Post edited by Hahcbeachwaves on
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    @Simmingal I'm curious, what do you like better about worlds in TS4 over the ones in TS3?
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2022

for me i couldn't tell them apart if you showed me the maps even if you gave me world names to match up with the worlds :sweat_smile:

most of the residential pack worlds feel extremely similar to me and the only store world i had was dragon valley which was also kinda meh tbh

also tartosa really reminds me of ts3 worlds where you literally have your sim running miles of nothing only to enter same old rabbit holes :sweat_smile:

ofc in ts3 it helped you could edit the worlds and place extra lots n stuff to your liking

and ofc there was more activity to do with transportation overall like cars horses strollers whatever to make it less tiresome

I couldn't agree more. The worlds look amazing sure I love them but for me the problem spins back around to trying to make this game all about realism and base it off of real life cultures and places. Imagine we could have final fantasy style worlds like Midgard with steel skies, cave words full of tunnels, swamp worlds, cyberpunk worlds, apocalyptic worlds,steam punk worlds,, poor village worlds, I mean the creative options are endless....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

I couldn't agree more. The worlds look amazing sure I love them but for me the problem spins back around to trying to make this game all about realism and base it off of real life cultures and places. Imagine we could have final fantasy style worlds like Midgard with steel skies, cave words full of tunnels, swamp worlds, cyberpunk worlds, apocalyptic worlds,steam punk worlds,, poor village worlds, I mean the creative options are endless....

YES!!

I would love to have something truly different, a world that is livable and not realistic. The closest we get is the spellcaster’s magical world. Ohh.. and Batuu.

Imagine a world underwater, the maps are under domes of glass with tunnels between them.

Every other game I play have these fantastical worlds to live and play in. Then it is Sims 4. Maybe one day we will get something different.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2022
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Yep! Hit "Go for a Jog" on a sim in Tartosa and they'll run the whole map! There are huge swathes of scenic area with nothing to do. I'll probably take some sims around and have them leave Easels and Yoga Mats at some of those spots. I've added a fishing spot on the beach because I would love for my sims to go fishing next to the algae bloom.

bKDNfpD.png

Why leave those objects at various spots? They are portable items that anyone can take with them. No need to clutter up the world for other sims that may want it left natural.

I understand adding non-portable items with TOOL (like bunny/bird spawns, playground items etc) but adding portable things is a waste.

Lol, wait what? This is THEIR game right? "no need to clutter up the world for other sims that may want it left natural"....ummm they are sims and they don't even have it programmed to be upset that there is a yoga mat or Easel in certain spots. Heck even EA puts easels in Tartosa and other worlds in certain spots. Regardless, I don't see your logis as this is their world and quite frankly they can do what they want in it just as you can do what you want in yours. I think their idea is cute as thats something you actually see in real life. You will see yoga mats scattered on beaches where they hold yoga classes daily, etc......but even if I wouldn't do it in my own game, who is anyone to say what they can do in theirs.

**For clarification, your opinion is totally valid, but the way you said it was just odd and judgmental lol.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited March 2022
    Schantal wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Yep! Hit "Go for a Jog" on a sim in Tartosa and they'll run the whole map! There are huge swathes of scenic area with nothing to do. I'll probably take some sims around and have them leave Easels and Yoga Mats at some of those spots. I've added a fishing spot on the beach because I would love for my sims to go fishing next to the algae bloom.

bKDNfpD.png

Why leave those objects at various spots? They are portable items that anyone can take with them. No need to clutter up the world for other sims that may want it left natural.

I understand adding non-portable items with TOOL (like bunny/bird spawns, playground items etc) but adding portable things is a waste.

Lol, wait what? This is THEIR game right? "no need to clutter up the world for other sims that may want it left natural"....ummm they are sims and they don't even have it programmed to be upset that there is a yoga mat or Easel in certain spots. Heck even EA puts easels in Tartosa and other worlds in certain spots. Regardless, I don't see your logis as this is their world and quite frankly they can do what they want in it just as you can do what you want in yours. I think their idea is cute as thats something you actually see in real life. You will see yoga mats scattered on beaches where they hold yoga classes daily, etc......but even if I wouldn't do it in my own game, who is anyone to say what they can do in theirs.

**For clarification, your opinion is totally valid, but the way you said it was just odd and judgmental lol.

I had the same reaction, lol. But I assume they meant they don't like when random things get left around the world, because obviously sims don't care one way or another.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member

YES!!

I would love to have something truly different, a world that is livable and not realistic. The closest we get is the spellcaster’s magical world. Ohh.. and Batuu.

Imagine a world underwater, the maps are under domes of glass with tunnels between them.

Every other game I play have these fantastical worlds to live and play in. Then it is Sims 4. Maybe one day we will get something different.

Ooh, I would love an underwater world like you described. I would buy a pack with such a world right away. The same principle of living under domes could also be used in space, like a Mars colony, or even sixam.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member

YES!!

The art style of TS4 allows for some weird and wonderful worlds, magical and atmospheric elements etc. The fact that TS4 then still chooses to make worlds that often feel the same, really makes me miserable. TS4 is marketed as a creativity tool through and through, but the game designers themselves can't even be creative in this regard...

I dearly wanted scuba diving underwater lots for TS4, but either we're never getting it due to IL being so lackluster, or we'll have to pay for it as a GP. TS3 IP was largely limited in the atmosphere it could create for its scuba diving lots, but TS4 could really make it fantastical, if they so choose.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I feel like Tartosa is nice, but wasted on My Wedding Stories.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Every neighbourhood in The Sims looks the same and in every neighbourhood you can do the same activities. Due to that everything can be boring especially that you can only play on one lot in the same time. How does every neighbourhood in TS look like?

1. 3-5 randomly placed lots
    2. Some fishing spots
    3. A couple of chairs/couches/benchs
    4. Public toilet
    5. Food stand
    6. Public garden
    7. Some spots for swimming (after Island Living)
    8. Playground area
    9. More and more fake buildings

Personally I like if my buildings match to the world but it is harder and harder to create something interesting because the worlds are more and more restrictive. Due to that I have more and more boring neighbourhoods because I have totally no idea what to build in them.I have some ideas for Tartosa but I have to fit my concept on 9 lots which are terribly designed.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    Every neighbourhood in The Sims looks the same and in every neighbourhood you can do the same activities. Due to that everything can be boring especially that you can only play on one lot in the same time. How does every neighbourhood in TS look like?

1. 3-5 randomly placed lots
    2. Some fishing spots
    3. A couple of chairs/couches/benchs
    4. Public toilet
    5. Food stand
    6. Public garden
    7. Some spots for swimming (after Island Living)
    8. Playground area
    9. More and more fake buildings

Personally I like if my buildings match to the world but it is harder and harder to create something interesting because the worlds are more and more restrictive. Due to that I have more and more boring neighbourhoods because I have totally no idea what to build in them.I have some ideas for Tartosa but I have to fit my concept on 9 lots which are terribly designed.

This is why I think it would be worth it to update all relevant worlds to have at least one or two of the shell buildings (that sims can route to) per neighbourhood turned into rabbit holes that can be interacted with. Whether you like rabbit holes or not, at least this would give sims more things to do in neighborhoods. Sometimes I'd even like to know my sims are ex. eating out, but I don't feel like micromanaging it, or I might be controlling one sim and want to occupy another in the meantime.

Some rabbit hole shell ideas:
    - Attend skill classes
    - Grocery shopping
    - Book shopping
    - Eat meal/dessert/grab coffee at restaurant/bistro/etc.
    - Opera/play/comedy show/simphony
    - Watch movie at cinema
    - Attend sports event
    - Tour science lab, volunteer as test subject
    - Attend fundraiser/charity event, volunteer ar soup kitchen, attend awareness event
    - Clinic/hospital: buy medicine, deliver baby, find out gender of baby, vampires can raid for plasma bags etc.
    - City hall: change name, register as self-employed etc.
    - Children and teens: study building for paper, field trip etc.
    - After-school activities such as clubs for sports and skills.
    - Spa: get massage/manicure/pedicure/facial
    - Etc.

There are many ways to make a world feel less static, and this is a relatively easy one. I'd especially like some interactions from TS3 to make a comeback through rabbit hole buildings, such as volunteering as science test subjects being a way to make pocket money but with some hilarious and fun potential side-effects.
    Shopping for things at physical buildings, even if they're shells, also feels much more immersive to me than just ordering everything on the computer.
  • Options
    torieggtoriegg Posts: 5 New Member
    > @crocobaura said:
    > There's nothing to differentiate the shop rabbit hole from a regular dresser apart from it's size and placement. At least if it offered additional premade outfits instead of just clothes it would have been more useful than just pretend shopping.

That's such a great idea to have a picker pop up instead of CAS and we can buy premade outfits that way.
  • Options
    torieggtoriegg Posts: 5 New Member
    Selvadorada and Strangerville have the most perceivable personality IMO. The other worlds need to be heavily edited by us players to make it feel cultured but we're limited by sims themselves not having cultural traits.

It helps that the townies in Strangerville are mostly military people (and a lot of handsome ones) and the ones in Selvadorada dance differently and are usually dressed appropriately.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »

YES!!

Ooh, I would love an underwater world like you described. I would buy a pack with such a world right away. The same principle of living under domes could also be used in space, like a Mars colony, or even sixam.

Yes, it can just as well be in space. Just something that isn't "normal" as everything else. You could have corridors for moving between areas. Rabbitholes submarines/shuttles in order to move between domes.

Tartosa is different from the other maps, sure. However, all livable maps are very very normal, something that we could encounter in real life. There is just such a great sense of relief when ever I load another game that takes place in world that is anything but normal.
  • Options

YES!!

The art style of TS4 allows for some weird and wonderful worlds, magical and atmospheric elements etc. The fact that TS4 then still chooses to make worlds that often feel the same, really makes me miserable. TS4 is marketed as a creativity tool through and through, but the game designers themselves can't even be creative in this regard...

I dearly wanted scuba diving underwater lots for TS4, but either we're never getting it due to IL being so lackluster, or we'll have to pay for it as a GP. TS3 IP was largely limited in the atmosphere it could create for its scuba diving lots, but TS4 could really make it fantastical, if they so choose.

This is also one of the reasons why I am not interested in a Sims MMO. I come to the Sims 4 so that I can be god in my little universe and tell my stories. Use reshade and CC to make things look like I want them to. Tartosa is a nice addition, with one map that is with almost no shell building so I can try to make it into Batuu or something else. If I have to share everything with others no way that I will stay in this normal world. If I cannot be ruler of my own save then I am off to the magic and wonder that is available elsewhere.

For now I got the magical realm with a tent every so often.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Right? A Sims MMo would be so restrictive to prevent "bullying" it wouldn't even be a sims game.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    edited March 2022
    Dianesims wrote: »
    It is beautiful but it’s still mostly one big shell.

Not much is interactible, the store and restaurants are stalls in shells.

You can walk around the world though. You can swim, but not at every beach. For instance, you cannot swim around the little island. You can sail if your sim has a boat in their inventory, but the swimmable areas are very small so there is little point sailing there. You can use floaties and beach towels, you just have to put them in your sim’s inventory.

There are fishing spots and a few lounge chairs that you can use. You can also get married at the city hall or use the bathroom, it is a rabbit hole but it’s still there.

That’s basically it. There are I think vineyards but it’s decor. Cafés terraces are decor too. So is the lighthouse.

I would assume you could use tents, the chairs and ice chest and those things you can put in your inventory like a BBQ, easel, and cameras at the beaches and stuff. I think you can put the campfire in your inventory too. To bad they don’t have a special chest you can take with you to put fish in that will keep it fresh. Does anyone know if you can use the fish traps in tartosa?
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Exactly. Sims could swim in every body of water, in the winter they could Ice skate on frozen ponds, buy books and groceries at the stores….(which were rabbit holes though), kids and teens had a school building, there was a police station, a hospital, and a city hall from basegame, I miss this.
    Gordy wrote: »
    The biggest difference is that Sims 2 and 3 worlds are much bigger and more customizable than Sims 4 worlds. Plus Sims 3 neighborhoods could have some fun areas. Aside from the fact that you could swim in nearly all of them after an update, you had a variety of locations to visit (graveyards full of ghosts and rabbithole mausoleums off the top of my head. We also had more lot types than Sims 4, though a lot of them can be replicated in Sims 4 anyway.)

At the very least, if we're getting smaller worlds with much less customizability, they should at least make the worlds more interesting and fun.

Those rabbit hole buildings killed the neighbourhood aspect for me. You ran all over the map just to click on a building. Very lazy approach and there was no immersion, no possibility to create atmosphere or individualize the experience.

That is the way I thought about the sims 3 too. Rabbit holes is the reason I stopped playing it so early. I liked the idea that sims 4 didn’t have a lot of rabbit holes. I wish the scouts wasn’t a rabbit hole, I built my own scout place. I feel like they should have made a scout lot in sims 4 instead of it having to be a rabbit hole. I loved the first 3 active careers with lots. I do wish it was easier to alter them, that you could change them without cheats, the same thing with the lab in strangerville.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I would rather have rabbit hole buildings like in Sims 3 than the empty shell buildings that are used just to make a town look full. Especially since lots are so limited in Sims 4.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I hate that purchasing a wedding cake isn't located in a usable building. I wouldn't buy a wedding cake from a street vendor. I would have expected a Cafe with outdoor seating but then again this world falls flat for me and rains far too often to even enjoy a bakery/cafe type lot. I did build a bakery and cafe in Magnolia Promenade and the cakes made at the bakery where one of my sims works has cakes that never spoil. Gotta love fresh chef.