Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tartosa is boring, and commentary about same-y worlds in general

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2022
    @Louise_G0325, I agree with your post as the lots in Sims3 were not static as all the lots in Sims 4 are static which means no matter what lot you laid down the neighborhood it would still look the same and that is a drawback for me. Also, what is lacking and would have helped if the end user had some control in creating the neighborhood how they really wanted to look by a neighborhood creator that would allow the end user to alter existing neighborhoods. Sadly, one must accept what EA/Maxis puts out as they look like they will not make such tools or allow the end user to create their own neighborhoods as it seems to diminish the ability to profit off what they make.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Elliandre wrote: »
    That was a really great suggestion to add things to inventory like yoga mats for Sims to do while exploring the neighborhood, since there is not really much to click on. So far I found sandpiles to dig through on the beach for collectible bottles, a few flowers to harvest, a fishing spot, an art easel, you can draw in the sand and build sand castles, sit by the fountains and relax on the beach chairs, and eat from a couple of cute shops. I think I will give my Sims a tent, cooler, instruments and whatever else I can put in their inventory so they can camp out on the beach and have more to do around the world.

Yes, I think this is a good world to use tents, ice chest, chairs, camp table and lanterns that came with outdoor retreat. I also use outdoor retreat stuff when my sim explores the jungle in Silvadorado.

Me too. I love the tents and camping stuff. It's much more fun to pitch a tent out in the world than send the Sim home to sleep. I hope we get a sleeping bag one day too.
  • Options
    JerrelloJerrello Posts: 896 Member
    Nice world, but you can't do anything but walk around, swim, and fish like the other worlds. It's unfortunate EA no longer has the desire to wow us anymore because they know their fanbase will buy nearly anything. It was such a missed opportunity for romantic boat rides, air balloons, or an area to play carnival like games.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited February 2022
    Mt. Komorebi is an awesome world. There is so much to do with it! Love having sims living there.

The upper map of Tartosa is like a blank slate. No shells so I can slap down my Batuu builds there. Also I appreciate having another warm world with access to beaches and swimming. That makes playing meersims more enjoyable. The lower map is like a sleepy little town. I have seen several of them during the summer when I was young.

I have room in my game for that sort of world. The opposite of San Myshuno. The pace is slow and the world is pretty.

That said I will be disappointed if all future worlds would be like that. I really like playing in the Expansion Pack worlds because they use have so much happening with them.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    There are multiple ways to manipulate weather to your liking. My top ways are using my mermaid or of I'm not playing mermaids I use the weather machine.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    simpureheartsimpureheart Posts: 39 Member
    From screenshots I've seen I think it looks beautiful. But I can understand your point of view. I'm going to try it out for myself soon, so I'll see what I think.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    It is beautiful but it’s still mostly one big shell.

Not much is interactible, the store and restaurants are stalls in shells.

You can walk around the world though. You can swim, but not at every beach. For instance, you cannot swim around the little island. You can sail if your sim has a boat in their inventory, but the swimmable areas are very small so there is little point sailing there. You can use floaties and beach towels, you just have to put them in your sim’s inventory.

There are fishing spots and a few lounge chairs that you can use. You can also get married at the city hall or use the bathroom, it is a rabbit hole but it’s still there.

That’s basically it. There are I think vineyards but it’s decor. Cafés terraces are decor too. So is the lighthouse.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    My opinion, almost all Sims worlds are lifeless and boring, across the entire franchise, even TS3's open worlds.

Take away the lots and the worlds are just empty shells with absolutely nothing to do other than 'move from here to there" and collect things in both TS3 and TS4, and of course in TS1 and 2 they were, literally, just backdrops for lots.

Mt. Komorebi was a real standout exception and City Living did a decent job of keeping it a little more interesting with the festivals and other activities that spawn, but most of the worlds don't have enough of this kind of thing.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    My opinion, almost all Sims worlds are lifeless and boring, across the entire franchise, even TS3's open worlds.

Take away the lots and the worlds are just empty shells with absolutely nothing to do other than 'move from here to there" and collect things in both TS3 and TS4, and of course in TS1 and 2 they were, literally, just backdrops for lots.

Mt. Komorebi was a real standout exception and City Living did a decent job of keeping it a little more interesting with the festivals and other activities that spawn, but most of the worlds don't have enough of this kind of thing.

This is exactly why I wonder the reason the worlds get accused of being so empty and boring?
    I have ts3 and there's literally nothing to do outside of lots. A few rabbit holes if you consider that actual gameplay?
    All activities are meant to take place on lots that you make pretty much.
    But I would definitely like more variety in designs to reflect a wider range of build types. I still think granite falls and salvadorada are the best worlds in design to me.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    The biggest difference is that Sims 2 and 3 worlds are much bigger and more customizable than Sims 4 worlds. Plus Sims 3 neighborhoods could have some fun areas. Aside from the fact that you could swim in nearly all of them after an update, you had a variety of locations to visit (graveyards full of ghosts and rabbithole mausoleums off the top of my head. We also had more lot types than Sims 4, though a lot of them can be replicated in Sims 4 anyway.)

At the very least, if we're getting smaller worlds with much less customizability, they should at least make the worlds more interesting and fun.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    @Gordy, while I get what you are saying, everything you mentioned is covered by what I had said. Graveyards and Mausoleums are on lots in TS3, they aren't just out in the world, and swimming is just a way to "move from here to there".

Literally, all the open worlds gave us in TS3 were "space"...and the space was practically pointless without lots. TS3's open worlds were the biggest disappointment in the game to me. I play a LOT of open world rpg's. Given your interest in dragons I suspect you do as well. They could have done so much more with open worlds than they did.

What they ended up doing falls very flat, imo. People who "love" the open worlds in TS3 give them far too much credit for what they actually are. Just mho.

That said, I totally agree that they did worlds better in TS3 than in any other game of the franchise. But the bar is so, so very low in the first place, I don't see it as much of an accomplishment.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Swimming helped build athletics, you could lounge in the water, and splash people. And yeah, the worlds were shells, but that's more acceptable in the Sims 3 because of the variety of lots and ability to customize the world much more. You could make a town more immersive and fun to play, and it helped craft a unique aesthetic and feel. I loved making Sunset Valley a creepy goth town.

I agree that the bar is low though, and that the Sims 3 worlds aren't perfect. The open world mechanic had its flaws, which is why I'm fine with the closed worlds of Sims 4. I just feel that Sims 4 worlds really should have more going for them. The worlds are a big selling point now, we can't make our own worlds, and they've already shown with some of their packs that they can make them more engaging.

EDIT: Done editing. Sorry about that, my English reading comprehension has gone to poop.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Gordy wrote: »
    I just feel that Sims 4 worlds really should have more going for them. The worlds are a big selling point now, we can't make our own worlds, and they've already shown with some of their packs that they can make them more engaging.

We are in 100% agreement in this regards. I also think they should give us the tools to customize them more ourselves. TwistedMexi's TOOL mod shows that even a modder can add some world customization functionality, so there's no excuse for EA/Maxis that they haven't done so.
  • Options
    I actually wanna download the TOOL mod for that purpose, but I'm afraid I won't be able to comprehend it & I'll accidentally destroy my game somehow.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited March 2022
    The problem I have with worlds is, they feel like they're only meant to be played once or twice. Like they're not meant to hold your attention for longer than a single playthrough. They could be a nice place to live, but that's all down to aesthetics or lot size. It's the same thing with many of the festivals: they're all so bare-bones and provide almost no unique experiences, and once you do them, there's nothing of substance to make you come back a second time.

I think Mt. Komorebi is the only world that's well-developed in this regard; you can go on hikes, train to go up the mountain (and eventually climb to the summit), take part in sports, go swimming and do things you can do in other neighborhoods.

I really enjoy Sulani a lot myself, a lot of things to do there too, collect shells, dig through the sand for treasures, build sand castles, suntan, swim, relax in the sun, attend easy going festivals, swim with dolphins, career working on the beach, new plants, new Kava party drink, great for my fisherman, boating and fishing, and the jet zip, even make a little money doing a few things. I just love the world, my fisherman loved it, my athletic sims love it, and even my lazy sims love it. Quite a good size area to walk around and explore too. Besides being beautiful and warm.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    @Gordy, yah, I'd love to use it too.

I use a ton of mods, but I won't use any mods that are guaranteed to "break" with game updates and/or new pack releases (insofar as either the mod needs to be updated or things in your current game could cause issues if the mod is removed). And TOOL is one such mod, so until the game is done being supported by EA/Maxis altogether, I won't use it.

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Exactly. Sims could swim in every body of water, in the winter they could Ice skate on frozen ponds, buy books and groceries at the stores….(which were rabbit holes though), kids and teens had a school building, there was a police station, a hospital, and a city hall from basegame, I miss this.
    The biggest difference is that Sims 2 and 3 worlds are much bigger and more customizable than Sims 4 worlds. Plus Sims 3 neighborhoods could have some fun areas. Aside from the fact that you could swim in nearly all of them after an update, you had a variety of locations to visit (graveyards full of ghosts and rabbithole mausoleums off the top of my head. We also had more lot types than Sims 4, though a lot of them can be replicated in Sims 4 anyway.)

At the very least, if we're getting smaller worlds with much less customizability, they should at least make the worlds more interesting and fun.

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Exactly. Sims could swim in every body of water, in the winter they could Ice skate on frozen ponds, buy books and groceries at the stores….(which were rabbit holes though), kids and teens had a school building, there was a police station, a hospital, and a city hall from basegame, I miss this.

Those rabbit hole buildings killed the neighbourhood aspect for me. You ran all over the map just to click on a building. Very lazy approach and there was no immersion, no possibility to create atmosphere or individualize the experience.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »

Those rabbit hole buildings killed the neighbourhood aspect for me. You ran all over the map just to click on a building. Very lazy approach and there was no immersion, no possibility to create atmosphere or individualize the experience.

Not to mention they were all lots. Which means they are not an exception to what I said about the world's being barren and rather pointless other than as a place to put lots.

And I completely agree that making them Rabbit holes was lazy. More than just lazy, really, given that they made the "open worlds" concept a selling feature of the game....but then didn't even give us "open lots" for a ton of things. Sort of defeats the point of having an open world in the first place, imo.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I agree, OP. You've made very good points. Yet, there's something else that kills the differentiation of the worlds, no matter the lighting: the same Sims keep showing up everywhere. I spend so much time deleting Sims before I can get a screenshot that the location ends up practically empty. :(
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

This is exactly why I wonder the reason the worlds get accused of being so empty and boring?
    I have ts3 and there's literally nothing to do outside of lots. A few rabbit holes if you consider that actual gameplay?
    All activities are meant to take place on lots that you make pretty much.
    But I would definitely like more variety in designs to reflect a wider range of build types. I still think granite falls and salvadorada are the best worlds in design to me.

In island paradise there is scuba diving / snorkeling which is fun. And you can see them underwater
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @Gordy, yah, I'd love to use it too.

I use a ton of mods, but I won't use any mods that are guaranteed to "break" with game updates and/or new pack releases (insofar as either the mod needs to be updated or things in your current game could cause issues if the mod is removed). And TOOL is one such mod, so until the game is done being supported by EA/Maxis altogether, I won't use it.

It's up to you of course but just want to say that I've been using t.o.o.l since release and as far as breaking or stability it's perfectly fine. I mean it does break but the creator updates it right away like mccomand. I never had to wait long.
    Nor does taking it out mess up your game or cause any glitches that I know of because unlike mccomand it's not making any fundamental changes to the game. I know taking out mccomand has messed up my save in the past 😆
    T.o.o.l is however, a bit complex and only dedicated builders seem to know how to utilize it best. I just use it for simple things like adding stuff outside of my lots and in combination with pose player to move sims around. Yes you can move and/elevate them like objects lol. Comes in handy when poses get messed up for one reason or another.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited March 2022

T.o.o.l is however, a bit complex and only dedicated builders seem to know how to utilize it best. I just use it for simple things like adding stuff outside of my lots and in combination with pose player to move sims around. Yes you can move and/elevate them like objects lol. Comes in handy when poses get messed up for one reason or another.

Wow, this is such a good tip. Thanks! :)

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited March 2022
    I think it's a lovely world. Love the lighting and ambience. I'm going to relocate the two families and use those lots for venues. I'll move my bridal salon there and the cute little pastry shop someone posted in the builds thread. I also want to add a Mediterranean style restaurant with outdoor dining.

And some type of venue dedicated to family activities.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    shobontea wrote: »
    I miss the rabbit hole. I wonder, if the store had been a rabbit hole, would there have been many more stores added to the world, as objects in the world?

There's nothing to differentiate the shop rabbit hole from a regular dresser apart from it's size and placement. At least if it offered additional premade outfits instead of just clothes it would have been more useful than just pretend shopping.