Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tartosa is boring, and commentary about same-y worlds in general

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Yep! Hit "Go for a Jog" on a sim in Tartosa and they'll run the whole map! There are huge swathes of scenic area with nothing to do. I'll probably take some sims around and have them leave Easels and Yoga Mats at some of those spots. I've added a fishing spot on the beach because I would love for my sims to go fishing next to the algae bloom.

bKDNfpD.png

Why leave those objects at various spots? They are portable items that anyone can take with them. No need to clutter up the world for other sims that may want it left natural.

I understand adding non-portable items with TOOL (like bunny/bird spawns, playground items etc) but adding portable things is a waste.

Perhaps those items are there to make the place a bit more lively. NPCs might take a rest on a sunbed, I really would not prefer NPCs to bring their own sunbeds to place at random locations (and forget as they leave).

@OP: All worlds are boring if you take away the lots. Good thing is that we can develop the lots in any way we like, you are not in any way restricted to the content shipped with the pack.

That's the problem with so few lots though: if you actually want to add community lots, you'll have to allow like maximum 2 households to live in the world, and make your community lots very multifunctional.

In my game the beaches will remain beaches as I like them as such. Would have been nice if other lots had access to the water and also all the other smaller beach areas that are closed off. I will have one lot as a rental lot, as I think one lot is enough to reserve for visiting sims. I will rebuild the lounge to be smaller and add a church near it, this way it can double as a wedding venue when needed. That leaves 6 lots available for playable households, but I will most probably use one additional lot to create a shop to sell icecream, cakes and paintings. So, in the end, I think there will be enough space for about 4 or 5 households to live there. Alternatively, I can build a Italian restaurant and put free hotel rooms above it and not have a rental lot. :)
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I started out liking Tartosa... until I moved a sim there. It's overcast or rainy most of the time. The summer stays warm too cool which seems to be year round there. It's a bit dreary after some game play. As a semi beach type world going to the beach is generally bland as the sun is rarely out. Oddly my sims who live here are sick constantly. Taking dogs for a short walk is rather long. Jogging also takes forever.

I'm just about ready to get rid of it all together. It's just become too drab and boring for me personally.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I was expecting long hot Summers, is that not the case? That world really cries out for sunny weather, don't say they ruined it by making it rain all the time.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I was expecting long hot Summers, is that not the case? That world really cries out for sunny weather, don't say they ruined it by making it rain all the time.

It doesn't rain all the time, but more than I'd expect along the Mediterranean, and the summer isn't hot at all. (So far - I've only played one summer, and seasons do vary in the game. I've had winters that never get to freezing followed by winters that have constant snow in the game, so I don't want to make an assumption based on one summer.)

I do hope they nerf the rain a bit for the people who want to play weddings! I'm actually quite pleased with the world - I do see a difference in the light effects and ocean. I would have liked more things to explore, but I think they're doing less of that because many people don't do that much with those interactive things around the world. (Not all players are obsessed to the point of posting in a forum every day.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I've gone through 2 sim years in Tartosa and I can hardly tell the difference between summer and winter. My sims are generally in their everyday wear all year. I've yet to see a day that required hot weather and only a few were chilly enough to wear cold weather.

They can get chilly while swimming but only need to put on everyday wear to warm up.

It rains I'm guessing 50 to 60% of the time and stays overcast another 20 so I really only enjoy sunny days a relative 30 ish percent of the year. It doesn't have the feel of a sunny/ hot beach world (even in summer) but kinda soggy and tepid year round. My sims lot is covered in mud puddles quite often from the amount of rain and a few times these giant puddles formed in the home as well when the rain was enough to cause mud puddles. No broken appliances or pets caused these random puddles indoors.

• Options
    IblisTriggerIblisTrigger Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2022
    Mediterranean weather :
    Summer 40° C / 104° F , no rain
    Winter 10° C / 50° F, rain (half less than average), no snow.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited February 2022
    Idk it might just be because my game is in autumn atm but I had rain like every day and thunderstorms every other day
    eventually I just got the weather machine and tried very hard to change the weather :sweat_smile: hard to explore world when your sims keep running to nonexistent indoors (had not built yet also because the rain makes visibility bad)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    IblisTriggerIblisTrigger Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2022
    The weather should be warmer and dryer.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... I have bienchen's less rain and more sun mod. We will see if it works for Tartosa as well.

https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/jahreszeiten-seasons/
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited February 2022
    I haven't got the pack, so I can't give my full opinion, but I agree with you. I really wanted a mediterranean world, because personally I love the aesthetic, but I got the feeling that the buildings in the main area feels like the main area in Britechester to me, which is flat and empty. I mean, is not like there's a lot to add in the game, probably some chairs and tables, maybe some stairs and a balcony, (buildings that creates corridors maybe?), nothing really that special, but it still would have been something better than nothing. I honestly don't know what's the point of having beautiful worlds if you can't interact with them. Makes no sense. It's not fun. But it's actually a part of a bigger problem, the lack of interactions in general and bla bla bla.

I actually wanted to say that I absolutely agree with you. I was playing with Henford on Bagley the other day and I was so dissapointed. I have a couple of sims from Windenburg that I wanted to move to Henford, because, supposedly, it's an english world too, but I didn't really vibe with it.. the lighting is horrible, the vegetation feels very base game, it feels like Willow Creek 2.0 :| So I really get what you're saying.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    If they wanted to make a Mediterranean world, though, this is probably the most bland approach they could take, because if the lots (by the game changers, not them, might I add) were not there, I wouldn't even know this world is Mediterranean.

Exactly.. outside of the trees and little house on the island I feel like this world doesn’t really look Mediterranean . It looks more like they tried to put 2 or 3 different world ideas into one pack and now they all are fighting for the spotlight .

This is one example of what I personally think of when I think Mediterranean…
    3gptbassxcgz.jpeg
    or9sbawlj317.jpeg
    hr0ike3jwyka.jpeg
    i667j96saa6w.jpeg
    61h6k4rh6rbi.jpeg
    yo6ag4d8yryw.jpeg
    p817s78mpei0.jpeg

Nailed it, thank you! A Med world should have the look, feel, and weather of Salerno not Seattle.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited February 2022
    Concept art:
    GR4I0A2.jpg

Shame we don't get such daring designs in the game any more. No risk, no reward.

Would of been nice to have a small quarter of a Venetian style world to play around in (even if it is just three small neighbourhoods). watching gondolas floating past, crossing over a covered bridge, in a semi-cramped setting with medieval Italian architecture. plenty markets, easels, cafes, restaurants, nightclubs, shops, a gym or two, workshops and so forth. Of course it would of been nice to have lots of apartments around to live in instead of just, what barely 10 lots in total? could of had 16 or more lots in those little spaces instead.
  • Options
    HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2022
    DiogeneFer wrote: »
    This is one example of what I personally think of when I think Mediterranean…

You posted mostly pictures about Greece, that's way too specific (and cliché). The vast majority of Mediterranean cities and areas don't look like that, not even close. Ever been to Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, etc.?

Tartosa actually looks like an average Mediterranean town, of course it's bland if you think that everything looks like Disneyland.

I do not think everything looks like Disneyland and yes I know that what I posted looks mostly like Greece which is why I said this is just ONE example of what I think of when I think Mediterranean. I personally think they should pick a area and stick to a theme instead of jumping all over. An example would be Henford-on-Bagley . One theme done well .
  • Options
    ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    I personally love Greece so I would be so happy if the world looked like that, but when you think of "mediterranean" you absolutely think of something more picturesque. Small stone bridges, old streetlights, water canals, flowered stone walls, and rows of small houses viewing to the sea.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Personally, I love Tartosa. It's great for many of my different timeline game saves. The world reminds me of Rome, Greek, Spain & Jamaca. ;)
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Saw a 'tour the world' video a few minutes ago, and the world, while pretty, could easily be in California, perhaps some parts of Mexico or South America. There was nothing that clearly said 'Mediterranean'. This is the Sims, so if it takes a little bit of cliche to give the vibe, so be it.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    That was a really great suggestion to add things to inventory like yoga mats for Sims to do while exploring the neighborhood, since there is not really much to click on. So far I found sandpiles to dig through on the beach for collectible bottles, a few flowers to harvest, a fishing spot, an art easel, you can draw in the sand and build sand castles, sit by the fountains and relax on the beach chairs, and eat from a couple of cute shops. I think I will give my Sims a tent, cooler, instruments and whatever else I can put in their inventory so they can camp out on the beach and have more to do around the world.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I saw this world in a video and it was dead, like there were no sims there other than the vendors and played sims.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited February 2022
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I saw this world in a video and it was dead, like there were no sims there other than the vendors and played sims.

Oh there is sims
    lots of bugged sims
    running around aimlessly
    taking selfies and bothering yours

though gladly there is couple lots that are bit more to the side and you don't really get much walkbys in that part of world
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Elisdream wrote: »
    I personally love Greece so I would be so happy if the world looked like that, but when you think of "mediterranean" you absolutely think of something more picturesque. Small stone bridges, old streetlights, water canals, flowered stone walls, and rows of small houses viewing to the sea.

That sounds like Venice which is in northern Italy. It looks and feels a lot different from southern Italy which experiences a true Mediterranean climate. I think this world is meant to be a southern Mediterranean world because of all the olive and stone Cypress trees dotted around the world. Would have been perfect if they had added oleander bushes and proper sunny weather for most of the year with rain only during winter. Some places can be cold but sunny, they should have added sunny but cool to moderate hot springs and autumns and sunny and very hot summers.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    I actually really like the world but think they should have added some sort of secret lot or new discovery to unlock with the tree. A gameplay element.

I know a lot of people hate the Sulani mini festivals but I feel like they should have done something similar to that in the town square. Just to have the area become lively a couple nights a week. At least not have the food vendors close at 6pm.

I'm fine with it during the day. I've seen sims swim, sunbathe, play in the playground, paint, and use the vendors. So it's not completely dead.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    The problem I have with worlds is, they feel like they're only meant to be played once or twice. Like they're not meant to hold your attention for longer than a single playthrough. They could be a nice place to live, but that's all down to aesthetics or lot size. It's the same thing with many of the festivals: they're all so bare-bones and provide almost no unique experiences, and once you do them, there's nothing of substance to make you come back a second time.

I think Mt. Komorebi is the only world that's well-developed in this regard; you can go on hikes, train to go up the mountain (and eventually climb to the summit), take part in sports, go swimming and do things you can do in other neighborhoods.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,975 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    That was a really great suggestion to add things to inventory like yoga mats for Sims to do while exploring the neighborhood, since there is not really much to click on. So far I found sandpiles to dig through on the beach for collectible bottles, a few flowers to harvest, a fishing spot, an art easel, you can draw in the sand and build sand castles, sit by the fountains and relax on the beach chairs, and eat from a couple of cute shops. I think I will give my Sims a tent, cooler, instruments and whatever else I can put in their inventory so they can camp out on the beach and have more to do around the world.

Yes, I think this is a good world to use tents, ice chest, chairs, camp table and lanterns that came with outdoor retreat. I also use outdoor retreat stuff when my sim explores the jungle in Silvadorado.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The weather should be warmer and dryer.

Yes - I've been through a couple of 'years' now in Tartosa. Lots of thunderstorms in winter. It was not hot at all during two summers.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Mediterranean - I spent a week in Crete in the spring and a month in Aix-en-Provence (which isn't on the ocean, but not far) in the summer, and both called for shorts. Not much rain. It's a dryer climate - one thing I wish they'd included in the pack is more gardening plants: olive trees, at least.
    I just want things to match. :'(