Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sometimes Less Is More

Comments

• Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited August 2021
    If anyone doesn't understand that then I don't know what to say because as others have pointed out after seven years TS4 and 40+ packs TS4 still doesn't have a neighborhood editing tool, nor features to plop down a vacant lot, and or to build their own neighborhood and add vacant lots at will. They still have a shoddy family tree. They still don't have transportation and if we ever get any it might be like the CL elevator. No point in even doing that. They still don't have memories where they don't flip on a dime. They still don't have a neighborhood that is aware of what is happening to other Sims nor even aware other Sims left the world forever. They still don't even have a way to bury the dead. They still don't have terraforming tools that meet people's expectations nor ways to enter water in all worlds. They don't have many basic core features that tie everything and anything to the Sim and their relationships. They still can't tell us why one Sim likes another, after seven years. I'm sorry the list is too long to continue but if people didn't see the depth of the older games which is way beyond what I just wrote then yes, TS4 is the game for them because it is nothing more than DLC sold as 'gameplay and features' which mean nothing to the Sim. I'm afraid players who want clutter and dress up clothes and or fifteen minute gameplay without understanding why it should matter to the Sim has over taken the franchise and will never understand why some of us can live without it.

I'm a gameplay player/storyteller. I enjoy the Sims 4 best even though I've played every Sims game and have the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, every EP for Sims 3, etc. Sims 4 is fundamentally a different game - comparing it to past iterations is fine, of course, but to enjoy the Sims 4, most people can't approach it in the same way that they did past games. It has different strengths. For example, neighborhood editing is more difficult to implement in this version than it was in the past because of the way they designed the worlds, but the trade-off there is that sims can easily visit any neighborhood/world and the neighborhoods are gorgeous. If you don't let your sims travel a lot and/or take advantage of the instant travel, maybe the game is just not for you. I used mods for Sims 2-4 (because every single one of these games has been "unplayable" without mods), and I only play one household, so I don't have a big issue with the personalities. My sims are attracted to other sims based on their likes/dislikes, etc. and things matter. They get sad when sims around them they care about are sad. I don't understand what your goal is - we've explained why the Sims 4 team isn't going to slow down to releasing 1-2 packs a year and why the smaller packs are more popular (people can easily opt out of features they don't like and get the small features that they do without having to pay for what they don't want). So unless you want mod recommendations or playstyle recommendations for how the game can be fun for you, you're best just sticking to Sims 2 or 3. Sorry.

For me hearing EA/Maxis saying they do not want to stress the game where as those with low end systems suffer the most makes me cringe as they are still stuck in 2014 to me. I have over 7 complete systems and I know they will run circles around Sims 4 as the game can't scale up or down and I am supposed to get giddy over something that can't even challenge me.
    This is not true, though. My computer and monitor are spec'd higher than those listed in your signature (i9/2080 Ti/32 GB) and if I tried, I could make the Sims 4 lag on my computer. Add enough objects and sims (50 - 100) to a lot and you'll get lag. I think they can push it a bit more and that might be good, but I understand the restraint and I'm glad it runs lag-free for me now. Thankfully, they already cut off some computers with the release of their legacy edition and they up the requirements when they make big EP releases. In terms of scaling up, I think they should allow more sims to be in a household and more sims on a lot (not 100, but more than 8 in a home and 25 or so on a lot). But, honestly, the coding/optimization doesn't seem to be that clean for this game, so lots of users suffer from simulation lag already (not just people playing on potatoes) and as they want to keep adding content, it's hard to say what's best in terms of balance/scaling up.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Less is not more, unless you just use the Base game and use every mod or cc to spice it up a bit. I can't be bothered with messing about with the game after the mess I ended up with trying stuff with Sims 3.

These days I don't really care what plans EA/Maxis had or now has for Sims 4. I play it in my own way and probably not as they intended at all. I just like a multiplicity of things to do, love building neighbourhoods in different ways, getting the occasional rest from clicking on the keyboard to see what my Sims get up to without me as I'm getting either RSI or arthritis in my fingers, so not good at games that need quick reactions.

I usually don't get deep enough into the game to encounter the bugs that some others do as I fill my worlds with Sims and when started out leave them to their own devices with jobs, money and with full autonomy.

I play on a well powered laptop and don't get many lags,, except for the occasional Sims waving at me in annoyance, either.

BTW I'm trying out the new Origin Beta at the moment which does start much faster but Origin had the gall to start my game playing time at zero again for which I've sent strong feedback on their included Feedback page!
  • Options
    @Goldmoldar I saw your post before you deleted and I think I may have misunderstood where I quoted. If the game isn't challenging to you because you have a certain gameplay style, I can understand that. I hope you're still able to get enjoyment from Sims 2/3.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    @Goldmoldar I saw your post before you deleted and I think I may have misunderstood where I quoted. If the game isn't challenging to you because you have a certain gameplay style, I can understand that. I hope you're still able to get enjoyment from Sims 2/3.

Oh yes I still get enjoyment out of Sims 3 as it has what Sims 4 does not have. But Sims 4 path is already chosen and also being an gamer I concentrate on other games, however you go and enjoy playing Sims 4.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2021
    I'm strictly speaking about the amount of packs and the costs and the actual gameplay contained in those packs. The older games had more in them (if you don't need a lot of clutter) as far as gameplay in less packs. I wouldn't even be able to install every thing in this pc since it's a smaller SSD than the older HDD at 1TB. In that respect TS4 is already behind the times as people move away from HDDs and switch to SSDs which if they don't build their own pcs may have to get a pc that has a small SSD. Or add another later etc. And the life of the SSD is not as long as the life of a HDD. Most people who do a lot every day on a pc may have to buy a new SSD (even if larger) within four years or less depending on what they do with that pc. Not just upgrade RAM etc. because not all SSD are built the same. They all have a write life.

TS4 has already fallen behind technology with it's forty packs in that regard because I'm one of those who wouldn't be able to install more than five GBs of Maxis packs and retain 10 GB for my saves, neighborhoods, downloads, Sims etc. Then, if anyone hasn't noticed lately how much MS wants to reserve (under storage in windows 10) they are hogging 44 GBs for themselves. More than half of that says it's important to help run my pc and can't be cleaned out. And they reserve almost 10GB for updates. So, for those who haven't moved over to a better pc (and this is a gaming pc) they may not know the SDDs are small (unless they buy a pc with a large SSD for much more money or add SDDs) and MS and Origin takes up most of it. TS2 on this pc takes up 10Gbs and I have to move worlds I built to other back ups if I'm not currently playing them. Does Maxis think about how much smaller pcs are these days if someone doesn't special build one or upgrade constantly. It's why MS and Maxis move every thing to the cloud and I would rather not and why I think TS5 will probably be a game with cloud storage rather than on your personal pc so there can be 200 DLC packs. It's not only about gameplay but what we do with these games. To me the older games were also my creative outlet. I did more than just play, I created things like cc and machinima and all sorts of other things. All that adds up to huge space and writing and rewriting on a SSD. It's not something we worried about on the HDDs. Who went around fearing their harddrive was going to give out before their processors or especially their video cards? Nobody.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    @Cinebar I would hope that you don't need to install everything in order to get enjoyment out of the Sims 4. I think it's pretty common to have a 1-2TB SSD these days. If not, the game will still work fine on a slower hard drive. It's expected that modern games will take up a lot of space. I have 15GB of mods alone. I also wouldn't be particularly worried about having an SSD. They don't fail often and I'd never get an HDD over an SSD to avoid failure. I'd just make sure I backed up my files in different places because all drives can fail. I've had SSDs for at least for 10 years and have had no issues. Ironically, the only hard drive issue I ever had was with an HDD I dropped. SSDs are smaller and more forgiving in that way at least because I've dropped plenty of them and they've been fine. :#
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Cinebar I would hope that you don't need to install everything in order to get enjoyment out of the Sims 4. I think it's pretty common to have a 1-2TB SSD these days. If not, the game will still work fine on a slower hard drive. It's expected that modern games will take up a lot of space. I have 15GB of mods alone. I also wouldn't be particularly worried about having an SSD. They don't fail often and I'd never get an HDD over an SSD to avoid failure. I'd just make sure I backed up my files in different places because all drives can fail. I've had SSDs for at least for 10 years and have had no issues. Ironically, the only hard drive issue I ever had was with an HDD I dropped. SSDs are smaller and more forgiving in that way at least because I've dropped plenty of them and they've been fine. :#

DLC is important to players, just take a look at the poll over in the Sim Franchise thread. 89% of the people who voted is it necessary, said yes. Also, it's important to TS4 players more, it seems, because those of us who don't buy every thing are told we shouldn't post feedback or say something about a new pack or the game unless we own it all. That happens almost every day here for seven years. I wouldn't be able to instal more than one more pack right now on the small SSD I have in my pc. I don't think I'm going to rush out to get a bigger one just to add packs that didn't interest me or were bugged and or remain bugged and or get bugged later. I just hope TS5 goes back to it's roots like they promised they had heard us and went back to their 'roots' in TS4.

Today, TS4 turns seven. Happy Birthday TS4! I hope TS5 will soon be revealed with the focus on game play and depth.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

DLC is important to players, just take a look at the poll over in the Sim Franchise thread. 89% of the people who voted is it necessary, said yes. Also, it's important to TS4 players more, it seems, because those of us who don't buy every thing are told we shouldn't post feedback or say something about a new pack or the game unless we own it all. That happens almost every day here for seven years. I wouldn't be able to instal more than one more pack right now on the small SSD I have in my pc. I don't think I'm going to rush out to get a bigger one just to add packs that didn't interest me or were bugged and or remain bugged and or get bugged later. I just hope TS5 goes back to it's roots like they promised they had heard us and went back to their 'roots' in TS4.

Today, TS4 turns seven. Happy Birthday TS4! I hope TS5 will soon be revealed with the focus on game play and depth.

These forums aren't representative of Sims 4 players as a whole though. Most people do not have all the packs. Have you tried the base game since 2017? If not, I'd suggest just upgrading, maybe picking up some CC/mods since you said you liked CC in the past games, and seeing how that goes for you. No need to buy anything really, especially not an EP. I couldn't get into the Sims 4 until 2018 even though I bought it shortly after the game released. In the beginning, it was very ... :#.
  • Options
    Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    In some ways I do agree with you, however as others have pointed out it is a good thing that they're still producing new content and patches for the game.
    I was late to buying and playing the Sims 4 and I only caved when it was on sale during lockdown and I was furloughed. The EP's are quite expensive and I can only afford to buy when they're on sale. Lately I've bought a few EP's and some of the smaller packs. It'll be a while before I can build up to having the majority of them. In the mean time, I rely on mods and CC to enhance my game to bring something new to it. This is one of the reasons that I agree with you, that it can be overwhelming in terms of knowing what packs to buy and which ones to stay away from.

However, for the Simmers who have all of the packs I'm sure that new content and patches are always welcomed. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Lulu29 wrote: »
    In some ways I do agree with you, however as others have pointed out it is a good thing that they're still producing new content and patches for the game.
    I was late to buying and playing the Sims 4 and I only caved when it was on sale during lockdown and I was furloughed. The EP's are quite expensive and I can only afford to buy when they're on sale. Lately I've bought a few EP's and some of the smaller packs. It'll be a while before I can build up to having the majority of them. In the mean time, I rely on mods and CC to enhance my game to bring something new to it. This is one of the reasons that I agree with you, that it can be overwhelming in terms of knowing what packs to buy and which ones to stay away from.

However, for the Simmers who have all of the packs I'm sure that new content and patches are always welcomed. :)

Thanks for your post because for me it shows me new insights why some uses mods as mods are not only used to fix the game but it is used to give Sims 4 options that may not be available in an game that has no mods. However, for me I do not use them but I am not against using them and this practice is also done in other games as well but one must use with caution. But as said you gave me some new insights and I understand Cinebar point as well.
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Thanks for your post because for me it shows me new insights why some uses mods as mods are not only used to fix the game but it is used to give Sims 4 options that may not be available in an game that has no mods. However, for me I do not use them but I am not against using them and this practice is also done in other games as well but one must use with caution. But as said you gave me some new insights and I understand Cinebar point as well.

Personally I've never used mods to fix my game, but that's mainly down to my ignorance of not knowing that such mods ever existed in the first place. The mods that I do have that I use are: Slice of Life (definitely adds more of an element to the game that the base game lacks), and a couple of mods from adeepindigo (I think that's the name of the creator anyways). Granted, I haven't downloaded any new mods for a while so don't really know what's out there. The mods that I've downloaded to the game have added in doctors appointments, random illnesses, they've also added in random scenarios that take my gameplay to another level. They're not for everyone though but are something worth considering if you're looking to enhance gameplay.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Personally I've never used mods to fix my game, but that's mainly down to my ignorance of not knowing that such mods ever existed in the first place. The mods that I do have that I use are: Slice of Life (definitely adds more of an element to the game that the base game lacks), and a couple of mods from adeepindigo (I think that's the name of the creator anyways). Granted, I haven't downloaded any new mods for a while so don't really know what's out there. The mods that I've downloaded to the game have added in doctors appointments, random illnesses, they've also added in random scenarios that take my gameplay to another level. They're not for everyone though but are something worth considering if you're looking to enhance gameplay.

Oh believe me I am tempted as I love to enhance gameplay but with EA/Maxis applying patches breaks some of the mods and then you have wait for an update on the mod provided if there will be one. Also, I am not keen on applying core mods for they tend to alter files where you must delete and reinstall the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Doesn't Slice of Life mod just add things and situations that may happen and more often like how older games already contain those little surprises? This makes my point actually because the mod adds the things not in TS4 (or as often) such a acne, shading of the face when happy or embarrassed etc. Party, like TS3 Sims? when they drink too much? Vibrant Personalities...no wonder people like TS4 if they keep this mod installed but older games already did all that in the core and less packs. Sickness, yeah, a core thing already in older games and without having to buy 40+ packs. Life Preferences..yeah, already a thing in NL and LN without having to wait eight years. I'm sorry, but you do realize don't you that TS4 is only better because of that type of mod and the older games had most of that in the base game, like drama and if some of things the mod can do is like TS2 or TS3 then it makes my whole point of why they should go back to their roots for the player's sake. Because the mod is adding back in what TS2 and TS3 already did in the core. This mod even adds memories? lol...it seems to me people just play TS4 for pretty Sims and mod the heck out of it to turn it back into TS2 and a lot of TS3.
  • Options

These forums aren't representative of Sims 4 players as a whole though. Most people do not have all the packs. Have you tried the base game since 2017? If not, I'd suggest just upgrading, maybe picking up some CC/mods since you said you liked CC in the past games, and seeing how that goes for you. No need to buy anything really, especially not an EP. I couldn't get into the Sims 4 until 2018 even though I bought it shortly after the game released. In the beginning, it was very ... :#.

I have loaded my game a few times since 2017. Why should I have to mod TS4's base if it's so much better than it used to be? It was ok in 2017 and I have seen and read all the patch notes since then. Let's say someone just played the base right now, what is so special about TS4's base that they should drop TS2's game and play TS4? I would think without mods not much.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,879 Member

I have loaded my game a few times since 2017. Why should I have to mod TS4's base if it's so much better than it used to be? It was ok in 2017 and I have seen and read all the patch notes since then. Let's say someone just played the base right now, what is so special about TS4's base that they should drop TS2's game and play TS4? I would think without mods not much.

No one has to justify or explain their enjoyment of the game. You just need to accept that we do. Whether it's a vanilla game or heavily modded.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I've just come back to The Sims after getting a new laptop to play it on, and I'm loving all the new things added to the base game. It felt so hollow when it first came out, especially after all the content included in the two previous games. I have all the expansion packs for the previous games (but not the Sims 3 neighbourhoods) and although there is so much content with everything included, I never felt like it was too much. I only have about a quarter of the content for Sims 4 so far, and I'm looking forward to getting the packs I'm missing in the future, so I can enjoy the gameplay I'm currently missing out on.
    I definitely agree with this. Whenever I first playing TS3 back in 2012 I just had the base game and i was pretty satisfied with it, and seeing all the EP and SP just seemed like to much for me to dive into all at once. Years later (and now having all the EP and SP) I can say that with all the content the game feels complete, it doesn't feel like 'to much'.

One thing that I will say is that there are to many packs for TS4...What I mean by that is that there are several packs that could've and should've been combined, but what can I say, it's EAxis.
  • Options
    I personally think the problem with this over abundance of packs is because they are soooooo skimpy in content! Past sims games didn't have nearly as many packs, but felt more complete or meatier because .... they were.
    Yes, yes, yes!
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Doesn't Slice of Life mod just add things and situations that may happen and more often like how older games already contain those little surprises? This makes my point actually because the mod adds the things not in TS4 (or as often) such a acne, shading of the face when happy or embarrassed etc. Party, like TS3 Sims? when they drink too much? Vibrant Personalities...no wonder people like TS4 if they keep this mod installed but older games already did all that in the core and less packs. Sickness, yeah, a core thing already in older games and without having to buy 40+ packs. Life Preferences..yeah, already a thing in NL and LN without having to wait eight years. I'm sorry, but you do realize don't you that TS4 is only better because of that type of mod and the older games had most of that in the base game, like drama and if some of things the mod can do is like TS2 or TS3 then it makes my whole point of why they should go back to their roots for the player's sake. Because the mod is adding back in what TS2 and TS3 already did in the core. This mod even adds memories? lol...it seems to me people just play TS4 for pretty Sims and mod the heck out of it to turn it back into TS2 and a lot of TS3.

Yes it does, but my point still stands that if you don't want to go buying all the EP's there are options that don't make the game seem to be too big and daunting for those players. It should be something that the game should be considering in adding in the first place I do agree with that. It may be a case of laziness on their behalf that they don't include them because they know that CC and mod creators will eventually create themselves to add into the game. I do enjoy playing on all of the versions of the Sims, unfortunately my laptop is on it's last legs and can only just about tolerate TS4.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

No one has to justify or explain their enjoyment of the game. You just need to accept that we do. Whether it's a vanilla game or heavily modded.

A heavily modded game is not TS4. What people love are their mods, not TS4. It's ok to love the vanilla game, good for those who do, but it's obvious most who play TS4 have to install the mods to make it more like TS2 or TS3 to play it for any long term fun. When and if they go back (Maxis) to their roots they would even see they offered more in fewer packs than they do in 40+ (gameplay and depth of the Sim) rather than the fluff and clutter in 40 packs. Developers who worked for Maxis know this is true but yeah, what can they do about piecemealing. Nothing.
  • Options

I suggested mods and CC because you said you liked CC. That's all. I thought if you liked it before, you may like it now. I've had mods/CC for Sims 2 - 4 and I see that kind of customization as part of the series. I don't use TS4 mods to make my game more like TS2 or 3. I like adding custom foods and things to my game, but they have nothing to do with TS2 or 3. The only mod I added with a past game in mind was MCCC, but that was because I wanted a mod like the ones Twallan provided for TS3, not because I wanted to turn my game into TS3. But you can enjoy the game without any mods. It's just not my playstyle and has never been for any Sims game.
    It's ok to love the vanilla game, good for those who do, but it's obvious most who play TS4 have to install the mods to make it more like TS2 or TS3 to play it for any long term fun.

We've already explained what appeals to some of us about TS4 over TS2. I don't like the way TS2 handles aging or traveling. It's a deal breaker for me because I really like global aging. I don't like how TS2 has so few skills. I don't like building, gardening, or the way university is handled in TS2 etc. etc. etc. But those are just my personal preferences and I understand that other people feel differently, because TS2 can be fun. I'm just not interested in it anymore.
  • Options

A heavily modded game is not TS4. What people love are their mods, not TS4. It's ok to love the vanilla game, good for those who do, but it's obvious most who play TS4 have to install the mods to make it more like TS2 or TS3 to play it for any long term fun. When and if they go back (Maxis) to their roots they would even see they offered more in fewer packs than they do in 40+ (gameplay and depth of the Sim) rather than the fluff and clutter in 40 packs. Developers who worked for Maxis know this is true but yeah, what can they do about piecemealing. Nothing.
    Which is completely subjective of course.
    Anyway, is there anything wrong with heavily modding the game? No, of course not. If you paid for something theoretically you can do whatever you want with it. And I'll say this, I don't necessarily like TS4 right now (but the pack refreshes are definitely changing my mind) but there are quite a few things about the game I do like, and when I modded the game it wasn't to change things to how it was in TS2/3, (if I want things like those games I'll go and play those particular games) it's to refine or shape that thing to make it work better for for me.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Astro wrote: »

Which is completely subjective of course.
    Anyway, is there anything wrong with heavily modding the game? No, of course not. If you paid for something theoretically you can do whatever you want with it. And I'll say this, I don't necessarily like TS4 right now (but the pack refreshes are definitely changing my mind) but there are quite a few things about the game I do like, and when I modded the game it wasn't to change things to how it was in TS2/3, (if I want things like those games I'll go and play those particular games) it's to refine or shape that thing to make it work better for for me.

This is exactly why I mod my games too (and as a way to refresh things in there when I can't afford the packs). Well said.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,879 Member

So what? So they want features that are similar to those in Sims 2 or Sims 3. In addition to features and content that is not available in Sims 2 and Sims 3. Who cares what you call it as long as you're enjoying it and having fun?
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2021
    Same. I go crazy for cc but my mods are limited to a strict few like mccomand to slow down time and change sims outfits easier. Nothing to do with ts3 or ts2. And I have a LOT of trait mods. But that's only because I feel ts4 is lacking in a lot of traits. Especially negative. But most of my traits are because I found sims everyday convos boring and downloaded tons of urban traits from a creator that gives "less proper" social options. And sweeter romantic ones too like "are you feeling okay sweetheart?
    With related buffs.
    Definitely has nothing to do with ts2 or ts3?
    Cause they had a lot of boring socials too lol
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(