Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remove the lactose intolerance trait from cottage living

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Why is this still an ongoing thing? It's been discussed that the only way for them to add things in this game when it comes to the sims themselves AS OF RIGHT NOW is through traits. Would it be awesome if it was different? OF COURSE. Is Lactose intolerance a trait? Of course not and I say that as someone who suffers from it. I still cannot believe how sensitive the sims community has become. Y'all would have never lasted during the timeline of TS2. Everything would have upset you. lol

I can believe that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    Why is this still an ongoing thing? It's been discussed that the only way for them to add things in this game when it comes to the sims themselves AS OF RIGHT NOW is through traits. Would it be awesome if it was different? OF COURSE. Is Lactose intolerance a trait? Of course not and I say that as someone who suffers from it. I still cannot believe how sensitive the sims community has become. Y'all would have never lasted during the timeline of TS2. Everything would have upset you. lol

I still cannot believe how sensitive the sims community has become. Y'all would have never lasted during the timeline of TS2. Everything would have upset you. lol

Perfectly said.
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I really wish they'd have likes and dislikes for foods, and then maybe an entirely separate system for intolerances and allergies. Having yet another specific food based thing taking up an entire slot of 3 personality base traits seriously makes me hesitate whether I want to get Cottage at all. Given how extreme the effect is of a sim being around a type of music they dislike, that kind of thing seems a much better way to add that kind of challenge. I don't mind including that kind of thing, but having a sim 1/3 DEFINED by something like that is really disheartening. It's just not very good gameplay. And why include lactose intolerance as a major trait, but not wheat or any other food allergy? Not to mention the weirdness of a sim aging up to adult and suddenly being lactose intolerant, which I guess can happen, but isn't more a thing you have all your life or don't? It just doesn't seem to fit with how other traits work, since it's more of a physical ailment than any part someone's personality. It'd just be much better imo if food intolerances were just a comprehensive separate system, like the likes and dislikes. Having one specific food intolerance as a trait, while ignoring all the others entirely, just doesn't add much to me, and makes the game feel even more uneven. I don't want it in my game, so I guess won't be able to get this new pack, which is a shame. It really does feel like such an odd choice in how to go about implementing something that could've been a really interesting addition.
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Nope, all sims should be able to enjoy all kinds of food with no "trait" restrictions. Take also the vegan thing away, please.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I like it being dairy intolerant myself, but having an extra section for food traits would be nice to have.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I think majority of us agree it shouldnt be a personality trait, but not for the reasons you feel it is. And that's fine, we all have our opinions about it. People have complained about other traits, gloomy, hates children and others from sims 3 being offensive too. So you're not alone in that.

I dont get what youre saying about hijabs, they are in the game. I do think things that are "controversial" should still be added in the game. Sims team pick and choose whats worth the controversy though, so they arent neutral and leads to upset feelings. There are some things in the game now I wish they werent, but i have the option of not utilziing them so its fine unless I have to jump through hoops
    I agree about those things still needing to be added to the game too. I hope one day we get disability represented in the game. It is pretty sad the day Animal Crossing becomes more mature than the Sims in many aspects. I still think face masks should be added to the game, but they did add a notification about it at least which made me happy. You are amazing by the way @StrawberryYogurt and don't let the world tell you different. Your posts speak highly of you and your convictions. You should be proud of keeping true to yourself instead of following the hive mind.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't think they need to remove it, just move it. This trait feels like it should be like ones we can buy from the perk store. They are small buffs and run in the back ground and don't interrupt the three original traits. Like I don't have to take up a slot so my sims can stop being afraid of lightning. Only issue it would be weird to buy lactose intolerance for 100 perk points. But if feels like it should be one of those sort of traits.
  • Options
    Xylorta-XVXylorta-XV Posts: 234 Member
    edited August 2021
    I stumbled upon this thread trying to find out some info on this trait, and after reading through every post that was still available, I dusted off my 4-years-inactive forum account just to say something about all this.

Let me start off by saying I totally understand taking personal offense to something in the Sims. I’ve never liked the Insane/Erratic trait, for example. I don’t have a schizoaffective or dissociative personality disorder, but the trait’s portrayal has never really sat right with me and to me, feels a bit like a mockery. (I could also say the same for the Neurotic trait for OCD and anxiety/paranoia… but the Neurotic trait gets one of the best moodlets in the game for free at any time so like. It gets a pass. It actually adds something instead of just kind of being there and letting me fish from pools.) And while I’m glad the name got changed, it doesn’t totally fix my discomfort with it.

You know how I deal with that trait though? I just… don’t use it. And I’m just kind of baffled how that’s not an option that people are willing to take. If you absolutely don’t want to see it, there’s also likely mods to remove or blacklist it, too, which are available at any time. Removing it for everyone is kind of useless when you have multiple methods of removing it for yourself.

I do understand why people who have this ailment would be uncomfortable with how it’s portrayed— but I think the issue lies less in the trait’s existence and more about how it’s executed in-game. The trait just exists, with no way to manage it outside of just avoiding the foods when there could have been some kind of medicine to purchase and take. The medicine could then give you a moodlet that negates any negative effects of consuming dairy, but you can only take so many pills within a time period, meaning you still have to manage your diet in the downtime between doses. And on top of this, it’s a main CAS trait, meaning it takes up one of the precious few slots we have and isn’t a personality thing at all. We now have a likes/dislikes system and we have a “soft” preferences system (which I hate how it’s implemented — through conversations and your options aren’t grayed out or anything to indicate that you picked them? My memory’s too bad for this mess, EA), so why can’t we get an update to both systems by combining them and letting us set preferences like weather likes and utensils and dietary restrictions there and not as a main trait? Or to use a system we already have, use it in the preferences system under a dietary restrictions conversation option, like with the weather. It’s yet another shallow CAS trait in a sea of shallow CAS traits and is another example of what this game is really lacking — depth of gameplay.

So, TL;DR: the biggest issue is that this trait has no depth beyond restricting your character’s diet and making you soil yourself, and takes up one of the 3 CAS slots we have (unmodded) when we have systems in place that could be used instead. However, the trait needs to be edited, not removed, and if you take that much offense to the trait then you need to curate your own experience and make the game more comfortable for you with outside assistance.

P.S.: the actual offense in this thread is watching everyone throw around the word “triggered”. Y’all know that describes a very specific reaction to a traumatizing stimuli, right? And not for silly little dispute on an Internet forum? “Tilted” is right there, please use that instead.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited August 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    EliteGirl wrote: »
    Catzilla wrote: »
    @MissSweetViolet said:
    "For the lactose intolerance, and other food related things, I agree with those who think they should be a separate category from traits. We just got the likes/dislikes. I think a food preference/allergy category separate from traits would be cool. It would add more to the sim's overall roundedness without taking trait slots."

I think this would be a much better idea, allergies aren't a lifestyle choice or personality trait and they don't really fit there whereas vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice so it does fit in as a trait. I think moving food issue things into the likes and dislikes would make more sense.

As it is, the lactose intolerance thing is pretty in-your-face even if you don't select it. I'd like to see it less in-your-face with the food warning labels toned down or something, like foods simply labeled 'Milk' instead of the whole 'Lactose Intolerance' label.
    I do think the lactose intolerance was put in the game to be funny but it really isn't a funny issue. Food allergies can be a real drag irl and I'm sorry it was put into the game TBH.

As someone with allergies, I completely agree with you except the part where you said to moving the lactose intolerance and food issues into the likes and dislikes. Nobody chooses what their allergies are. I think that food allergies and lactose intolerance needs to be removed from the game.

Remove it completely? Happyville (TS4) is very boring to me in many respects because there isn't much happening to Sims other than a player pushing around pixels with happy faces and happy moodlets dressing them and redressing them and pretending that's life.

Yes, remove it completely. There are other ways for sims can die in the game, such as laughter, embarrassment, drowning, fire, etc. without allergies being a death in the game. If you want your sims game to be more challenging, you could try the "The Sims 4 Challenges". I mean, there are so many challenges made for "The Sims 4" that you could do, if you wanted to. Adding allergies and death because of allergies is NOT only unneccessary, but it is harsh and cruel, plus makes the game not fun.

I know we don't see eye to eye in this situation, but I still stand by how I feel about this issue.
  • Options
    Catzilla wrote: »
    @MissSweetViolet said:
    "For the lactose intolerance, and other food related things, I agree with those who think they should be a separate category from traits. We just got the likes/dislikes. I think a food preference/allergy category separate from traits would be cool. It would add more to the sim's overall roundedness without taking trait slots."

I think this would be a much better idea, allergies aren't a lifestyle choice or personality trait and they don't really fit there whereas vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice so it does fit in as a trait. I think moving food issue things into the likes and dislikes would make more sense.

As it is, the lactose intolerance thing is pretty in-your-face even if you don't select it. I'd like to see it less in-your-face with the food warning labels toned down or something, like foods simply labeled 'Milk' instead of the whole 'Lactose Intolerance' label.
    I do think the lactose intolerance was put in the game to be funny but it really isn't a funny issue. Food allergies can be a real drag irl and I'm sorry it was put into the game TBH.

As someone with allergies, I completely agree with you except the part where you said to moving the lactose intolerance and food issues into the likes and dislikes. Nobody chooses what their allergies are. I think that food allergies and lactose intolerance needs to be removed from the game.

Remove it completely? Happyville (TS4) is very boring to me in many respects because there isn't much happening to Sims other than a player pushing around pixels with happy faces and happy moodlets dressing them and redressing them and pretending that's life.

Yes, remove it completely. There are other ways for sims can die in the game, such as laughter, embarrassment, drowning, fire, etc. without allergies being a death in the game. If you want your sims game to be more challenging, you could try the "The Sims 4 Challenges". I mean, there are so many challenges made for "The Sims 4" that you could do, if you wanted to. Adding allergies and death because of allergies is NOT only unneccessary, but it is harsh and cruel, plus makes the game not fun.

I know we don't see eye to eye in this situation, but I still stand by how I feel about this issue.

To my knowledge the trait doesn't kill any Sim and never will it's a bad moodlet and maybe some flatulence.

Lactose intolerance is not the same as a food allergy. I wish some would learn the difference. Lactose intolerance causes diarrhea and maybe some stomach cramps for an hour or so, which is relieved by flatulence, passing gas.

It doesn't kill like a food allergy can. Look at it this way these Sims are never going to die from any illness in TS4, either, the deaths are by emotions other than maybe a rare chance, very rare of electrocution and or fire. But I doubt that ever happens in seven years without a player really, really pushing for a different death because they have already nerfed the Murphy bed and no one is ever on here screaming their Sim died in a fire (TS1, TS2) and or by electrocution or anything else other than an emotional death and then that isn't going to happen enough to write home about, so yes, TS4 is the baby of the crop.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    :s - this thread had finally died, why revive it? Whyyyyyyyyy?

It has not died, it had comments all the month of August.
  • Options
    JustKeepSimming2JustKeepSimming2 Posts: 31 Member
    I agree! I don't think it should be a trait but more like you can pick their diets (veg or vegan) and if they have an allergy like lactose intolerance. It doesn't need to be whole trait!
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited August 2021
    They could make a SIM CHALLENGES tab in CAS (similar to Lot Challenges but on Sims).

Example: (I'm not English speaking. so there could better wordings)
    1. Non-resistant for illnesses (if you want illnesses in your game)
    2. Sensitive Immune system (more often ill / bigger illnesses consequences)
    3. Lactose intolerance & or ex. Pollen allergy / other intolerance
    4. Infertility (Difficulty to become pregnant)

That way Players that don't want certain things could avoid it (no NPC will radomize with the Lactose trait) and Players that want Realism / Challenges / Representation could have this in the game.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,023 Member
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    They could make a SIM CHALLENGES tab in CAS (similar to Lot Challenges but on Sims).

That way Players that don't want certain things could avoid it (no NPC will radomize with the Lactose trait) and Players that want Realism / Challenges / Representation could have this in the game.
    I like the sound of that. 😎

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member

Wow. Not just for allergies- I like this idea! I wonder if we could pick the symptoms we want them to have as well?
  • Options
    Allergies and intolerances. Apologies. :)
  • Options

They could do a rebranding and overhaul of the entire Sim. Give them attributes like the vampires can get and that would be better. Each Sim would have a set of basic things and the player have to figure out how to give them those points like we do with vampires to resist illness and or lactose intolerance and or whatever. But then that is a whole lot like any rpg game that does those sort of things. It would end the arguments about difficulty levels, too. Just give the Sim a list like the vampire has and work from there, of course these would be human things instead of things like resistance to sun etc. perk.
  • Options
    And those who don't want to play like that won't have to? Love this idea and hope to act see this take place!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    After using this trait I enjoy it. The moodlet isn't that long and they don't always run to the bathroom like morning sickness, so it is actually a quite tame trait. As someone who can't have dairy due to no gallbladder I am having a blast using it. Really cool Sims can milk lactose free milk from the cows too. I can guarantee real lactose intolerance is far worst than it is simulated in the Sims 4. It is like the kiddy version of it at best.
  • Options
    I do get how intolerance towards content happens. Like when the hijab came out it showed how EA's marketing was with their game changer program with promoting was sorely lacking in inclusiveness which they later admitted. Some spotlighted their own intolerances with that update and when I mentioned the marketing while I supported the update with my then neurodivergent nephew being half middle eastern and with origins of my beliefs of angels that used to wear them. Inclusivity is so important and makes me happy to see Simmers being represented with the Sims 4 now because it wasn't always that way and took some time to get there. It has been neat to see Sims 4 come so far in 7 years, but still quite awhile to go. Just learned that there is a thalassophobia moodlet that happens recently too. Still waiting for a gluten intolerant trait.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited August 2021

They could do a rebranding and overhaul of the entire Sim. Give them attributes like the vampires can get and that would be better. Each Sim would have a set of basic things and the player have to figure out how to give them those points like we do with vampires to resist illness and or lactose intolerance and or whatever. But then that is a whole lot like any rpg game that does those sort of things. It would end the arguments about difficulty levels, too. Just give the Sim a list like the vampire has and work from there, of course these would be human things instead of things like resistance to sun etc. perk.

No thank you. I like the Like/Dislike feature the way it is, along with the CAS system (even though the CAS system is NOT perfect). And I like the Emotions feature too.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I really enjoy likes and dislikes too. Vampire system is really limited and linear. I actually prefer the spell caster system that is more freeform and far more complex. Lot challenges I enjoy too so that would be a nice base to use for negative traits since they are limitless. I mean goal is to make the Sims 4 more sandbox not less.
  • Options
    Now, if the devs would add two new trait slots to the game...