Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Henford-on-Bagley World Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    I love the GC builds. Their excitement in being part of the game also lends itself to more well completed builds unlike some we've seen from EA in the past *cough*realmofmagic*cough*.

I enjoy their creativity as well. The crane build a GC did from Eco Lifestyle is one of my favorites to see even though I've never even had a sim live in it.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I love the GC builds. Their excitement in being part of the game also lends itself to more well completed builds unlike some we've seen from EA in the past *cough*realmofmagic*cough*.

I enjoy their creativity as well. The crane build a GC did from Eco Lifestyle is one of my favorites to see even though I've never even had a sim live in it.

I"ve thought of making that a rental.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I dunno. I've been playing with the Akiyama's household and I constantly get routing errors and people stopping mid-route when moving around the platforms or the stairs. And the Nishidake home has glitchted out with it's platforms so that now they are just blue and show the ground underneath them.

Though I'll give them this, no one knew how to properly use platforms at the time and now hopefully, people aren't going has ham on them. And they work well for actually giving premades a well-furnished home that feels tailored to them. (Looking at you, Ngata family home) But at least with the Snowy Escape ones, I find myself going "How...do I make expansions to this home...?"

But yeah, I have played with the Greenburgs and that crane home is glorious! Feels unconventional and I would love to see more builds like those.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I have to agree that platforms, like almost everything in this game, aren't as great as they seemed on paper. My problems start when I try to place them, it almost always comes with the unwanted side effect of also affecting the height of adjacent rooms for some reason, putting stairs on them is a nightmare, and then I also get the aforementioned routing errors while playing.

Anyway, I had no idea that crane home in Evergreen Harbor was built by a Game Changer, too! Guess I should have known, since it always stood out to me for being much more creative and less empty than most other premade builds. Right now I have a character from Mass Effect living there. But it must have been the only one, because the other buildings in that town aren't nearly as good.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2021
    Handel wrote: »
    I dunno. I've been playing with the Akiyama's household and I constantly get routing errors and people stopping mid-route when moving around the platforms or the stairs. And the Nishidake home has glitchted out with it's platforms so that now they are just blue and show the ground underneath them.

Though I'll give them this, no one knew how to properly use platforms at the time and now hopefully, people aren't going has ham on them. And they work well for actually giving premades a well-furnished home that feels tailored to them. (Looking at you, Ngata family home) But at least with the Snowy Escape ones, I find myself going "How...do I make expansions to this home...?"

But yeah, I have played with the Greenburgs and that crane home is glorious! Feels unconventional and I would love to see more builds like those.

I like the GameChangers lots, but there is something weird with the Akiyama lot. I get routing errors sometimes on the stairs too. I think it's because the stairs are going down to a lower platform and then it's a higher platform directly afterwards so the sims reset when they try to walk that route.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited June 2021
    Off topic, but just want to chime in that I had less problems with placing platforms after I built walls around where I wanted the platform, then raised the floor, then deleted unwanted walls. It's much easier than to place a platform object from the build catalog. Also, if placing platform conflicts with approaching foundation, place the platform first, then the foundation. No idea why the conflicts are not constant.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Handel wrote: »

I like the GameChangers lots, but there is something weird with the Akiyama lot. I get routing errors sometimes on the stairs too. I think it's because the stairs are going down to a lower platform and then it's a higher platform directly afterwards so the sims reset when they try to walk that route.

Sims always seem to stop at the top of these stairs and drop whatever was in their queue.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I saw a list perhaps on the Positive Thoughts thread regarding this EP wherein it gave us an idea of the size lots to be had. I do believe a 40 X 30 lot was mentioned. Hope so. I've been busy building to see if I can make a functional house that's not so tiny it makes me claustrophobic but will fit the families I intend to play. I'd like to check out this new village for the gameplay aspects that may not (or so some have voiced a fear) lend themselves to other neighborhoods. If I can't stand the 'tiny' house (for me I use Mega sized houses that I build), then I do hope some of the features of this EP can be enjoyed (and they should) in other neighborhoods. Then I'll just have my Sims bring their produce to the town and take part in the contests and perhaps the physical selling of their crops over just selling them as we can now.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    scoed1227 wrote: »
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    scoed1227 wrote: »
    Personally I am hoping one of the two empty lots is the 64<64 lot. We do not have a empty lot of that size and I hate bulldozing pre-made lots especially if Sims live there. I love the look of the world. I am hoking to build an off the grid witch's cottage. In a remote lot.

The 64x64 lot is not empty, Devon Bumpkin has confirmed to have build on it, it's a residential, but so far it's unclear if anyone of the premades is living in it.

That is bad news. I don't know anything about Devon Bumpkin but I am sure he did a fine job building it. Just, I wanted to have an empty 64x64 lot. There is so few of them and none of them are empty. Oh well, At least they had someone who cares build it, some of the maxis made lots aren't even functional so this game changer built lots is such an upgrade. If the unbuilt lots are small they will be useless to me, so I hope at least one will be larger. We have plenty of smaller sized lots to build on.

I hear you. I bulldozed the one at the top of the hill in Del Sol Valley. I don't let a premade house or family, get in my way. LOL Happily, this lot was empty. If I don't wish to obliterate a premade Sim, I usually just try to relocate them. That way they are still available, just not on the lot I need. :open_mouth: I've also done the same in Brindleton Bay when I needed both of the larger lots.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Didn't one of the Simguru's say that the lot on the green hill is the starter home?

I think they referred to the larger overview picture (end of trailer) with the waterfall.

HonB map, we want you! Leak, leak, leak!!!

Oh, this just gave me a surge of inspiration. In my ancestral game save (as it happened in RL) the eldest son of one family married the eldest daughter of the other family. They were fifteen and just sixteen years old and her father only stipulated that they had to live near family. The groom was gifted a piece of land by his father, which was just half a mile away from his father's plantation. He built a crude cabin (on his own) and that's where his married life began. I'm intrigued to see what this starter home looks like, and if I can adapt the look of it to fit the 18th century setting of my game save. Oh, now see my PEPS is reallyoff the charts!
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited June 2021
    I would really like to see the world map and to get familiar with the housing options expected for the pack. I tend to move into what is there but make changes. There are times when I've torn lots down but only a few. I generally see what I like in the pack and how it'll fit with the direction I'm going in with the game. This pack is really where I'll play a whole village and I'll have family farms. There's a household I have in a lot that I want to tear down in Willow Creek, they will probably move to Henford-on-Bagley because the wife will be from there. I can then build something I like better than the house they are in and do something else with it.

In terms of GC builds, I liked Snowy Escape but I haven't played the Akiyama house, only briefly the Ito house. Mainly I've been sending skiers to the mountain who sightsee in Japan as well. I will say that I liked the highly decorated lots for vacation rentals and pre-mades but for my own sims, I like to personalize spaces. This is actually why I like DHD, the decorator designs a space that is personal for the sims and then I go back and play them later. I just wouldn't usually spend as much time on it if I weren't "the decorator".

If there are routing issues and glitches, that is a real problem and I would possibly take those houses down. The one that I want to tear down in WC is a glitchy download with several issues. My least favorite part is roofing so I would actually take building shells with the roof done so that I can do everything else. I'm working on my roofing skills and can build basic roofs but I hate dealing with awkward, complex roofs. Maybe I'll get better at it but it's one thing I liked better in TS3 than TS4.

I am looking forward to this pack but yes, I would like to see more world specifics. I've been waiting for the whole theme. I guess I want to play city sims and then switch to playing country sims. I might move someone to Henford-on-Bagley from San Myshuno but it'll depend.

I'm definitely willing to evict pre-mades. I evicted all of the ROM pre-mades due to wanting to do something else with it. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what is in the pack.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited July 2021
    The blog goes into detail on the world
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/cottage-living-town-blog?isLocalized=true

I"m in Henford-on-Bagley!

Sul Sul… Is this how it goes? No matter. Hey there, it’s me, Harold the Llama, and before you go about wondering how a llama like myself managed to prepare a blog, I'll have you know these nails have been trimmed to perfection to reveal the capable keyboard connoisseur that I am. But my motor skills are not what this is about! It's about my charming home of Henford-on-Bagley.

Sim legends of old say that Henford-on-Bagley was created from the perfect mingling of earth and water… but I'm pretty sure some Sims loved the nearby Cordelia Falls and that the River Bagley runs through it in all of its glory. Hmmm, majestic.

Anywho, in order to get to know more about this charming village, we will have to visit all of its neighbourhoods. Our first stop is Finchwick, where the action happens!... Sort of… in a manner of speaking. Finchwick prides itself as a historically bustling and tight-knit community.

Finchwick is the home of the weekly - yes, weekly - fair in which locals put their skills to the test in creating the most sophisticated and delicious creations, such as pies, as well as show off their most prized animals *cough cough* myself included *cough cough* and oversized crops - trust me, the bigger the better - to be judged, as it is tradition, by the Mayor no less! Winning or just participation will get you a reward, but to be honest, it is all for bragging rights and what is better than bragging rights anyway, am I right?

This neighbourhood hosts the historic square which is also home to the busy marketplace - perfect if you love window shopping - and the village pub - ‘The Gnome’s Arms.’ The marketplace is where you’ll find Goldbloom’s Grocery Shop, home of the best produce! But don’t take it from me, try some yourself! I recommend their aubergines… that’s an eggplant for the non-locals.

Another iconic spot is the Crumplebottom’s Garden Shop, owned by Agatha Crumplebottom, and run by Agatha and Agnes! This shop will serve all of your gardening needs, as well as some extra things… not quite for gardening, but for enjoying nonetheless such as conserves and jams… mmm, jams. Now I want some crumpets and jam, the superior option to buttered crumpets - fight your chickens about it, not me. I should ask my keeper to make some… but who am I kidding, I can only eat feed for llamas (well, sometimes a treat) *sigh* A llama can dream after all. Just don’t tell Agatha if you make some, or she'll send her gnomes to take them for sure as they are her favourites.

But, back to The Gnome! If you're feeling quite curious or in need of a little drama for your llama, you can enter The Gnome's Arms for a chance to listen in on the village’s gossip, history, and what is happening around it. Owned by the Scotts, Simon and Sara, this pub has been a dream come true, despite Simon running randomly into chickens - or me for that matter - along the way. This is where everyone knows everything about everyone, so take advantage of that as you visit! And their food is amazing, make sure to try their Bangers and Mash or their Beef Wellington; I hear it is fantastic. Enjoy the convivial mood by having a Henford Heart-to-Heart with or offering a Finchwick Favor to Sara, who should be minding the bar, for good measure. Sara can give you advice if you seek it, or maybe share some ghost stories if you want to know them.

If you’re in a helpful mood, you may also help Sims with village errands and learn more about their backgrounds, interests, and what they do around town! Or just for the good rewards, if that’s your bag.

Trotting along, we find Old New Henford. A fun piece of trivia for you all: it was originally named ‘Little Henford.’ However after some consideration, it was proposed that ‘New Henford’ would be better suited… more posh if you will. Unfortunately, there was a mishap with the national mapmakers and the town apparently ceased to exist for two whole weeks! Ha! Imagine that? Well, after that of course the town needed a new name and Old New Henford was picked, and here we are.

This part of the village is known for their lush estates, rolling hills, and their small - but beautiful - community garden. This neighbourhood used to be one giant property owned by the Watson family, who sold plots of it over the years. They still own a sizable estate perched at the top of the Olde Mill Hill - you can’t miss it.

You will find that this part of town is perfect to have a lot with a garden and space for livestock and oversized crops! You can always take notes as you stroll around the area and see how the townsfolk are doing with their gardens and plots.

Old New Henford is the perfect place for those that love animals like yours truly. In this neighbourhood you can find rabbits hopping about, wild birds you can sing to, and cheeky little foxen that you can befriend… but beware of their mischievous nature! They will want to surprise you and *mumbles* you’ll want to be sure your chickens are accounted for *mumbles.* This part of the town is also great for those who love to fish. Who knows, maybe someone finally will catch that wolf eel I keep hearing about.

You can even say that it is an idyllic place for a new start. Just ask Cecilia, one of our newest residents who moved in recently from the big city looking for a new life after having her heart broken. Now she shares her life with us living in a fab, refurbished barn. She loves keeping her garden, and her chickens! She is a lovely neighbour. I hope one day she finds true love. Unfortunately for Michael Bell, the local Creature Keeper, he is not her chosen one, but at least Cecilia has a long term commitment to all critters that visit for now.

Like Cecilia, if you welcome Wild Animals for visits, some can become your friends for life and even bring you gifts.

From the rolling hills of Old New Henford, we arrive at The Bramblewood.

The Bramblewood is the natural beauty of Henford-on-Bagley.These woods have a storybook-like aura that delights anyone who visits. It has long provided a picturesque place for many wild birds, rabbits, and foxen to call home, so you may find yourself among friends here including our friend Michael, our Creature Keeper, who roams the woods on most days caring for animals and plants.

It is truly a wonderful place, where you can forage Chocoberries and mushrooms, including nightcaps - some say that you can only find them at night… aptly named! The Bramblewood can be full of surprises, especially if you encounter the Isle of Volpe, named after Lord Volpe, founder of Finchwick. The Isle of Volpe is one of the most iconic hallmarks of Henford-on-Bagley, not only because of the history reflected on its ruins, but also because it is the most romantic spot in town. Generations of Sims remember their first kiss in the Isle of Volpe *love sigh*, so if you are coming with your sweetheart, you should spend some time there to experience its splendor. Just be careful not to disturb the Creature Keeper’s home. He is a gentle but private Sim.

But if romance is not something you fancy, head out for a bit of adventure and visit the Isle of Volpe Park. Run through the path that leads you to Sophie the Snail, who is always happy to take a picture. If it is calm and serenity you seek, be sure to spend some time visiting Cordelia Falls. In the end, wherever you spend your time in this part of town, it is said that the Bramblewood can change your life forever, and so far there have been no truer words to live by.

And so you see, my friend, whether you decide to come for a visit or move here to my humble countryside town, there is always something happening, something to do, something to dream about, but most importantly, know that we welcome you with open … erhm… feet!

We hope to see you soon!
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I'm honestly getting a bit concerned about the map. The world is so lovely, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it work the way I want. Just one more empty lot per neighborhood would have been perfect, sigh.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I can see me using the two isolated neighborhoods many times. The busy neighborhood, I will probably put my Pine Tree Landscapes on most of the lots.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited July 2021
    I like the world a lot. I have never been in Scotland though I am a huge fan of Outlander and recently I read many books where the story was based in Scotland and man how much I fell love with Scotland!
    Anyway, what I wanted to say was that Henford on Bagley is literally what I imagine Scotland looks in those books I read. Exactly that much charming. I hope it makes any sense.

Also, I wonder what the weather will be like in Henford on Bagley.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I like the world a lot. I have never been in Scotland though I am a huge fan of Outlander and recently I read many books where the story was based in Scotland and man how much I fell love with Scotland!
    Anyway, what I wanted to say was that Henford on Bagley is literally what I imagine Scotland looks in those books I read. Exactly that much charming. I hope it makes any sense.

It’s based on the south of England, like the lakes etc. Speaking as a Scottish person this isn’t really like Scotland im afraid.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited July 2021
    @EdithV Oh.
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    @EdithV Oh.
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Haha don’t worry! I totally get why you would have thought so!
  • Options
    PurpleHeatherPurpleHeather Posts: 83 Member
    The new world looks perfect for the new Pride and Prejudice save I'm working on. I hope there is room for my Longbourn, Netherfield, Pemberley, and Merton village lots. They fit in well with the existing buildings in Henford-on-Bagley. Some of the other builds can stay in Willow Creek or Windenburg.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

It's England, expect rain rain and rain! With a week halfway through the year where every one gets heatstroke because it got to a mighty 80 degrees and 2 weeks in winter where everything stops because there is *gasp* one inch of snow.

I'm hoping it's not quite that true to reality although I'm expecting something similar to Brindleton Bay.
    It's also nearly always quite cloudy so they *should* make safe time for vampires there be quite extensive.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    The new world looks perfect for the new Pride and Prejudice save I'm working on. I hope there is room for my Longbourn, Netherfield, Pemberley, and Merton village lots. They fit in well with the existing buildings in Henford-on-Bagley. Some of the other builds can stay in Willow Creek or Windenburg.

LOL I was just thinking of using this world for a P&P village this morning! I can't decide what I'm doing. But I must have this pack.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Isharell wrote: »

LOL I was just thinking of using this world for a P&P village this morning! I can't decide what I'm doing. But I must have this pack.

@PurpleHeather @Isharell Same here! That was actually my first thought after seeing the first trailer, that this world would be perfect for my Pride & Prejudice families. The problem is, all of them (the Bennets, Bingleys, Mister Darcy and Lady Catherine) already live in Willow Creek, and they fit in so well there, I don't know what to do! :D
  • Options
    PurpleHeatherPurpleHeather Posts: 83 Member
    You can make more Jane Austen characters @GrumpyGlowfish ;). Willow Creek is also a nice place for the Pride and Prejudice Sims, luckily they can travel to Henford. Maybe I will build an Inn so Sims from other world can explore the town a bit longer.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Hooray! Hooray for infomation on the premades! I can probably make educated gusses on who's who based on the trailers and what infomation the blog gives us. And it also seems like we'll have some more assigned roles for specific people within the neighborhood, a bit like Eco Lifestyle, it sounds like.

Also, likely the family that was the focus for the two trailers will hopefully be put up into Maxis's Gallery page. And their house as well, since it also took center stage. Alongside Harold and we obviously must have Harold in our lives.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!