Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Facts Thread

Comments

• Options
    StartUpGeniusStartUpGenius Posts: 135 Member
    edited July 2021
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Cowplant Jam: Did anyone else besides me noticed that one of the canning jars in the list of things that can be made into jam in the official gameplay trailer had a picture of a cowplant on it?

I saw that too. I wonder how many cowplant berries it will take to make one jar?
    I don't know, hopefully they'll shed some more light on that in the live stream that's coming up this Thursday.

Quite weird that there are cows and cowplants 😂 The trailers are sometimes misleading. In Moschino Stuff trailer it was implied that magazines can be made from photos but it turned out that they're just framed magazine covers instead of actual magazines.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    Handel wrote: »
    The Guru's mentioned there's no offical career but you can make a viable living just farming. And considering how much of a money maker gardening is...

Hm, I would be kind of disappointed if there was a rabbit hole career for a Farmer when he actually runs a farm at home :) This time the home lot IS the career, methinks.

Besides, my small scale farmers will probably not spend as much money as families starting in a starter home and dreaming of a 4 stories manor. If living in a cottage, you will probably not want to make a huuuge cottage that would conflict with the reason why you wanted to stay in a cozy small cottage to run a small scale farm. So, I do not worry a lot about income :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    The Guru's mentioned there's no offical career but you can make a viable living just farming. And considering how much of a money maker gardening is...

Hm, I would be kind of disappointed if there was a rabbit hole career for a Farmer when he actually runs a farm at home :) This time the home lot IS the career, methinks.

Besides, my small scale farmers will probably not spend as much money as families starting in a starter home and dreaming of a 4 stories manor. If living in a cottage, you will probably not want to make a huuuge cottage that would conflict with the reason why you wanted to stay in a cozy small cottage to run a small scale farm. So, I do not worry a lot about income :)
    IF you don't want to be rich better not be a sims farmer. Gardening is easily one of the best money makers in the game. Gardening is a powerful skill as is that is easily the deepest one at that, and they are adding to it. I am so excited. But yea, it is a powerful money machine once you have an established garden. Sorry but unless you try to limit your profits, farming will bring home more money than any career in game as long as a large garden is part of it with some rare plants. I have made more than a few millionaire farmers pre-Cottage Living and I doubt a nerf is coming. So your small backyard farmer may not spend much money, they will have it to spend, well unless you make deliberate choices to limit their income.

• Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member

This. Exactly.

We even have the ability to register as a self-employed farmer. That's all I need. I don't want some rabbit hole farmer career when I could be spending the day actively managing my own farm.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,784 Member
    edited July 2021
    Thank goodness they did not make farming an actual career. The game has enough careers that follow the same model.

Someone else mentioned that gardening is the easiest money making aspect. If your just planting a bunch of vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc., and simply clicking on them to sell them why yes--no challenge. Let's see how much money you make actually selling those at normal market prices at a yard sale table or opening up a shop to sell those items--not so easy or lucrative. The game gives people the ability to take the easy route or more challenging route in some instances.

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Cowplant Jam: Did anyone else besides me noticed that one of the canning jars in the list of things that can be made into jam in the official gameplay trailer had a picture of a cowplant on it?

I saw that too. I wonder how many cowplant berries it will take to make one jar?
    I don't know, hopefully they'll shed some more light on that in the live stream that's coming up this Thursday.

Quite weird that there are cows and cowplants 😂 The trailers are sometimes misleading. In Moschino Stuff trailer it was implied that magazines can be made from photos but it turned out that they're just framed magazine covers instead of actual magazines.
    The thing is that they sometimes have to change part of the game from the version that was shown in the trailer. Like with Snowy Escape, they had to change part of Snowy Escape because our Asian brothers and sisters were saying that part of the game that was shown in the trailer for Snowy Escape was incorrect. So they had to remove that incorrect part of Snowy Escape for that very reason. Now this isn't the only reason why Packs are changed from time to time from their trailer versions. There several other reason why this happens to a Pack before it drops as well. The Gurus do explain all of this to us, but it is up to all of us to listen to them for the fact that they are the ones that have the insight on how the game gets made.
  • Options
    scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    Thank goodness they did not make farming an actual career. The game has enough careers that follow the same model.

Someone else mentioned that gardening is the easiest money making aspect. If your just planting a bunch of vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc., and simply clicking on them to sell them why yes--no challenge. Let's see how much money you make actually selling those at normal market prices at a yard sale table or opening up a shop to sell those items--not so easy or lucrative. The game gives people the ability to take the easy route or more challenging route in some instances.
    Please note I clearly said unless you go out of your way to make it less profitable. Also I said one of the best. It is not the best. Being a spell caster is the single easiest way to get rich, to the point it rivals cheats. I love making my own challenges to limit my sims. It is the saving grace of the game that you can tone down the easy mode that is the default mode of the game with play restrictions. Yes tying your farm profits to the yard sale table or a store will tone down the profits quite a bit. So would choosing to be a trash fruit only farmer and not selling other produce. It is indeed possible to be a poor farmer, but you must go out of your way to do so. That was my point. It is actually harder to stay a poor farmer than becoming a stinking rich one.

One last thing for those looking for a real in game career that works for a stay at home farmer, Gardener career, botanist branch from Seasons stay at home tasks are garden based and will fit. Also you can as stated above just register as a farmer. I like some others above am glad there is no farmer career in the game. Honestly it would kill role play in my opinion. At the same time I kind of am not glad it isn't in the pack as others want it and it would have been a easy add.

Post edited by scoed1227 on
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »

Your sim can actually get rich by selling just the plants that they have harvested in their own garden, providing that they have a lot of plants in their garden. My sims families from 3 and 4 have made vasts amount of simoleons this way.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,397 Member
    More Facts

The Official Cottage Living Livestream is Thursday July 8th at 11am Pacific 1pm Eastern.

Game Changers Early Access on Cottage Living drops Wednesday at 12 Noon Pacific 3PM Eastern.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I just realized there's only 2 weeks left. Time flew by. Looking forward to watching the stream :)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    Ooo, I'm so putting that blue phonebooth on my TARDIS lot. :p
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited July 2021
    You can make cheese! (Per the Carls Guide video.) You actually make it on the stove, which is... sort of right? Better than the TS3 version where you just right click on the bottle of milk, anyway.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    So did they clarify if the Crumplebottoms are playable characters or a special immortal NPC role that you really can't play (without cheating, I guess?)?
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited July 2021
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    So did they clarify if the Crumplebottoms are playable characters or a special immortal NPC role that you really can't play (without cheating, I guess?)?

The Crumplebottoms are gladly special NPCs that are immortal while the other group of NPCS have special roles but can eventually be replaced later.
  • Options
    plutoplumbobplutoplumbob Posts: 47 Member

In the livestream they said that Agnes and Agatha will be around forever while other NPC roles will eventually be filled by other sims. So I believe they're immortal
  • Options
    alan650111 wrote: »

The Crumplebottoms are gladly special NPCs that are immortal while the other group of NPCS have special roles but can eventually be replaced later.

So they're unplayable & can't be replaced/join your household unless cheats like Grim Reaper?
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    You can make cheese! (Per the Carls Guide video.) You actually make it on the stove, which is... sort of right? Better than the TS3 version where you just right click on the bottle of milk, anyway.

But he said that it's made as a food, not an ingredient. I wonder if a modder can take the food and convert it to make other foods or if we will still need to use CC cheese.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2021
    Anmirla wrote: »

But he said that it's made as a food, not an ingredient. I wonder if a modder can take the food and convert it to make other foods or if we will still need to use CC cheese.

In the livestream, one of the gurus said that, with the Simple Living Lot Trait, cheese could be used as an ingredient to make macaroni and cheese, along with flour. This makes it sound like an ingredient as well as a food.
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

So they're unplayable & can't be replaced/join your household unless cheats like Grim Reaper?

This makes me concerned that I won't be able to add her to the Goth family tree by creating her sister Cornelia.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »

In the livestream, one of the gurus said that, with the Simple Living Lot Trait, cheese could be used as an ingredient to make macaroni and cheese, along with flour. This makes it sound like an ingredient as well as a food.

Oh, I hope so. That would be fantastic!

Please let it work, please let it work, please let it work...
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,397 Member
    edited July 2021
    Chickens and Rabbits can kill you

Death By Rabbit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALnjK279zwo

Death By Chicken
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6gA12MlNM

Woohoo In The Animal Shed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2b033yBi84
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @ the death by rabbit: That wizard from Monty Python and the Holy Grail tried to warn us, but we didnt listen!
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    Beware of the scary fluffy bunny & birdy chicken. RUN TO THE HILLS!! :D