Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited May 2021
    Holiday wrote: »
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    Another YA/A centered gamepack featuring something which is considered cool right now? Nah. Thinking about not buying it tbh. This game has got to a point where I just don't like it anymore because it doesn't support my playstyle.

Their main demographic for this game is females aged 18-24, so I'm less and less surprised when we continue to get any sort of family gameplay ignored and constant gameplay targeted towards the Young Adult life stage, as these players will be able to play themselves through the game.
    Sadly, I agree. People who played TS1, TS2 and/or TS3 just aren't the target audience for TS4 anymore. I just wonder, are young people nowadays really so shallow?

I guess most people on the forums are 25 and up, especially those who complain about lacking gameplay.

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Kironide wrote: »
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Next GP.... Modeling career. Complete with CAS gameplay.

They could have at least given us an Architect career with build mode. :)

The architect career probably would have backed them into a corner. They would have had to given us new build mode features, like spiral stairs, open windows, or maybe curved walls. Something new... besides a few pieces of furniture that requires no new coding.

Or else, they could actually have it as a SoHo pack where the Sims can be an entrepreneur. They could actually use the existing career rewards or freelancer careers + this new career to start offering services other than selling products. For example, what's the point of having the operating table or the eye test chart if my Sims can't use it to offer healthcare services to the other Sims from home or any rented business lot, perhaps as an off-day job or when they retired.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Honestly, I'm not sure who this pack is for, and I say that as a builder. The items are great, don't get me wrong. But unless there's more to the pack then was shown, then this is nothing more than a glorified stuff pack.

I like building houses on my own terms, I have no desire to go into the game and play a career were I have to limit myself to a budget and other random restrictions (like making the room a specific color). If I want to build, I'll just go into build mode. I'm not going to bother with the mechanics of this career.

When I feel like actually playing the game, the last thing I want to do, is have to go back into build mode and redo all the homes I've just spent ages building. For me at least, this defeats the whole purpose of 'playing' the game.

I'll wait until it's 50% off, use the items and probably never play the career.

EXACTLY! :s
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Another YA/A centered gamepack featuring something which is considered cool right now? Nah. Thinking about not buying it tbh. This game has got to a point where I just don't like it anymore because it doesn't support my playstyle.

Their main demographic for this game is females aged 18-24, so I'm less and less surprised when we continue to get any sort of family gameplay ignored and constant gameplay targeted towards the Young Adult life stage, as these players will be able to play themselves through the game.
    Sadly, I agree. People who played TS1, TS2 and/or TS3 just aren't the target audience for TS4 anymore. I just wonder, are young people nowadays really so shallow?

I guess most people on the forums are 25 and up, especially those who complain about lacking gameplay.

Just an example: It seems most people < 30 years old seem to think micro transactions are normal; I've had that argument before, they genuinely don't understand why it is morally troublesome. There is literally a whole generation that has never experienced a game without micro transactions.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Just an example: It seems most people < 30 years old seem to think micro transactions are normal; I've had that argument before, they genuinely don't understand why it is morally troublesome. There is literally a whole generation that has never experienced a game without micro transactions.
    Right? It's so sad. My niece is obsessed with them in Animal Jam. There's this whole pathological need with it, especially since there's a lot of pressure in the AJ community to pay and get the good stuff. We payed for it once and it's never going to happen again.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    x4m1r4 wrote: »
    NGL, the BB looks interesting. However, I'm not really into the career, although I really like active careers. The career will affect my play style. I play rotational with multiple households. I started all the household from nothing until they have enough to renovate the house over multiple generation.To have this career, one is required to do a gig which could be on one of my played households. I'm not going to be happy if any of my household requested the designer to change their interior, which I can do it by going to the build mode too.

This pack might be great for those who enjoy building, decorating or playing the Sims with a fully furnished house, which is not my style. Though I build from time to time for challenges & of course, my own Sims, houses, it's not my main priority playing this game. I'll probably going to buy it only on sale.

This is my exact feelings with this pack. I love building but okay rotational so have no need to renovate my builds. I do love the bb items but not to buy at a gamepack price. I feel I’m in the minority of being a builder but not hyped by this pack as I’ve seen so many comments on all social media platforms this is a pack for builders.
  • Options
    LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    I think people would be absolutely positive, if this was a stuff pack.

I never build, but I would get it, if it was a stuff pack. What annoys me is that before batu, game packs were good! They should be about focussed gameplay aspects. All packs have some bb and there are kits and stuff packs ... why not prioritise live mode in gps and eps
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member

True, the younger people follow on other social media places. Forums are old school
    I don't understand why people keep asking for household chores in the game. I don't like to do those in RL (have to do them but don't like it) why in the heck would I want to waste my sims time (and it take lots of sim time) to do these things. Do the younger player not do these chores in RL?
    I will wait on a sale - still don't use the stylist career much either.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

Maybe if the trailer were better, I would at least be interested in seeing what was in this pack. But good grief, that trailer was like nails on a chalkboard.

So far, it seems to be one career and a lot of less than beautiful furniture. It's a stuff pack not a game pack. Game pack should have game play. This is just stuff. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe the trailer was just that bad.

Holding out for the inevitable 50% off sale. Unless they have kept the best stuff secret.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    verlainem wrote: »

True, the younger people follow on other social media places. Forums are old school
    I don't understand why people keep asking for household chores in the game. I don't like to do those in RL (have to do them but don't like it) why in the heck would I want to waste my sims time (and it take lots of sim time) to do these things. Do the younger player not do these chores in RL?
    I will wait on a sale - still don't use the stylist career much either.

I am fine with laundry and vacuuming, don't need any more household chores ^^

Saying this as a family simmer ^^
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I think people would be absolutely positive, if this was a stuff pack.

I never build, but I would get it, if it was a stuff pack. What annoys me is that before batu, game packs were good! They should be about focussed gameplay aspects. All packs have some bb and there are kits and stuff packs ... why not prioritise live mode in gps and eps

Most people are pretty positive, this pack is well received on youtube, twitter and instagram. There are only few negative posts like the ones in this thread, I think it's an age thing. interior design has become really trendy among teens and young adults, so these age groups are what TS4 caters to.
    Post edited by SimKonfetti on
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    They should of put this in a Stuff Pack not a Game Pack. Very, very foolish of them.
  • Options
    skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Also the part with the giant 'TA DAA' and REVEAL in giant letters.. which lead into sims doing the same cry and happy emotes they're always done. I felt quite deflated at that point.

I know, it almost felt a bit spiteful to me, lol
  • Options
    skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2021
    Felicity wrote: »
    Well, I don't know if the GP will be good or not (not my thing), but that has to be their worst trailer yet. I have this suspicion that instead of a full time writer on their marketing staff, they just select random workers who have an account on a fanfic account somewhere.

Agreed, it felt very Tumblrina :|
  • Options
    BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    I really hope it's not a 'younger people like this' kind of thing. I'm a gen z and I do not want to be grouped into that sorta thing XD
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Bluelle wrote: »
    I really hope it's not a 'younger people like this' kind of thing. I'm a gen z and I do not want to be grouped into that sorta thing XD

Sorry :) There are always exceptions, you're probably one of them :)

But it might also just be what @Onserver wrote: lots of people only build houses and create sims in CAS and don't ever play the game, regardless their age. Most game changers are 25 and up and they mainly build. They hype this GP.

• Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Most people are pretty positive, this pack is well received on youtube, twitter and instagram. There are only few negative posts like the ones in this thread, I think it's an age thing. interior design has become really trendy among teens and young adults, so these age groups are what TS4 caters to.

Lol I just had a realization from your post @Dakota88. Maybe I just have to finally accept defeat. Maybe I am getting too old for TS4. Unlike younger Simmers, I just can’t appreciate things just because they’re cool or pretty. (In hindsight though, isn’t that what them kids really only seem to care about? Looks?) Maybe I’ll just follow their favorite advice on reddit and “go back to playing the older games.” They may look fecking ugly but I know I’d actually enjoy playing those.

I think I have to accept that the game that I loved is never gonna materialize in this iteration. Not with a thousand DLC, not with this culture, not with this generation, and definitely not in this economy. And I know it’s such a shame, coz I already invested so much into this game. I have families, and builds, and stories (with pretend progression) going on. All of those things I have to abandon. But the fact that I can’t relate to the freaking trailer kinda says a lot about the growing divide between how I wanted the game to be and direction the team is taking it. I don’t want a pose player. I don’t want a moodlet spawner. And I don’t want a 3D modeling software (I have Autodesk to do that lol). I want a life-simulator game. I am obviously not the target demographic anymore.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    orenjiAi wrote: »

Lol I just had a realization from your post @Dakota88. Maybe I just have to finally accept defeat. Maybe I am getting too old for TS4. Unlike younger Simmers, I just can’t appreciate things just because they’re cool or pretty. (In hindsight though, isn’t that what them kids really only seem to care about? Looks?) Maybe I’ll just follow their favorite advice on reddit and “go back to playing the older games.” They may look fecking ugly but I know I’d actually enjoy playing those.

I think I have to accept that the game that I loved is never gonna materialize in this iteration. Not with a thousand DLC, not with this culture, not with this generation, and definitely not in this economy. And I know it’s such a shame, coz I already invested so much into this game. I have families, and builds, and stories (with pretend progression) going on. All of those things I have to abandon. But the fact that I can’t relate to the freaking trailer kinda says a lot about the growing divide between how I wanted the game to be and direction the team is taking it. I don’t want a pose player. I don’t want a moodlet spawner. And I don’t want a 3D modeling software (I have Autodesk to do that lol). I want a life-simulator game. I am obviously not the target demographic anymore.

I had a similar realization today, thus my post. After all of the ongoing criticism since JTB and the praise EA got for Paranormal - THIS GP is being so well received? Yep, I probably am too old for this game these days. I love playing it and I probably will continue playing it, might get some of the upcoming packs, who knows, we might get updated babies or a dumbed down version of Generations at some point (at least some game changers have been vocal about those things and most of the time complaints by game changers are listened to).

But today made me realize I am not the target demographic anymore, just like you. And to be honest, I am really kind of old. I'm 32. So it's no wonder EA aren't targeting their games at people my age anymore.

When I started playing The Sims, I was 11. When TS2 was released, I was 15. When TS3 was released, I was 20. And I was already 25 when TS4 came out in 2014, I probably was on the verge of not being the target demographic anymore back then (probably why we got toddlers and pools in the end because back then we still WERE the target demographic, at least KIND OF?).

So, oh well, I am old and my wishes for the game are probably nothing a 20-year-old would share. It does make me kind of sad though. I've spent 2/3 of my life playing this game.

Aren't there more people my age playing video games and spending money on it? Is everybody my age really just leading their real life and doing all the things you can do in TS for real? Am I really such a big loser, having stuck with this game for so long I stopped being its target demographic? :D:disappointed:
    Post edited by SimKonfetti on
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Don't be too down on yourselves, guys. Just because you don't like a theme that's popular with others, doesn't mean your opinions are outdated. Farms, Generations, and tons of other features we've been wanting have been requested by the community at large. There's a lot of overlap as to what the demographics want.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »
    Don't be too down on yourselves, guys. Just because you don't like a theme that's popular with others, doesn't mean your opinions are outdated. Farms, Generations, and tons of other features we've been wanting have been requested by the community at large. There's a lot of overlap as to what the demographics want.

Thank you <3
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited May 2021
    I don't know what I expected. My criticisms:

- we can literally edit the homes of sims, why do we need a pack so that our sims can edit the homes of sims? Like that's so...unnecessarily granular? Excessive? Tiresome? What's the word I'm looking for?
    - so far from what I saw in the trailer, the home furnishings are basically the same we've been getting in every pack. Everything is always contemporary. Where is the fun pizazz of style? Ts2 had so many. Ts3 you could make a bunch of styles. So imo this is a huge step down.
    - one more time but: we literally don't need it we can already edit homes

Again I know the team works hard and they don't always have full/lots/any control over what EA ultimately decides. I'm not faulting the effort, just the idea isn't for me.

Maybe the pack will be great when I see someone play 🤷🏼‍♀️
    Post edited by luxsylvan on
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited May 2021
    I can't help wondering if the main gameplay in this pack isn't really the career so much as the way the projects might be implemented. If they made a new system where the decorator basically chooses items from a special new menu based on what they've learned of the client's wants, that would totally explain why the BB stuff is a bit bland. It would have to pretty much be pre-matched in order to meet somewhat simplistic criteria for a successful project (in "gameplay" terms). But if it is something like this, where is the creativity in the career? If you can only choose certain items to make the project successful that would seem like a contradiction in terms to me.

Then again, if there is no new system for the career, it sounds like we could just go into Build/Buy like we always did before, and there's no new gameplay in that. :confused: It may be too early to judge, but for me this one isn't looking hopeful. That's a bit sad because remodeling/redecorating is normally one of my fun activities in the game.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)