Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    skelebee wrote: »
    Thought I'd chime in about the age thing, since I'm 24 so still technically in the right demographic. The direction EA is taking with this franchise is almost insulting, but more-so for those of us who have played the previous iterations. It just doesn't feel like the Sims anymore. It doesn't feel like "playing with life" anymore. A lot of people have termed TS4 a "YA simulator" and while I'm inclined to agree, I feel like they aren't even doing THAT correctly. I miss the depth and drama and details of 2 and 3. The sims franchise is a sanitized, lazy, boring shell of what it used to be.

IMO... this hit and miss thing with EA trying to cater to the YA's of the world, is that the pack creators themselves aren't YAs. I don't know what all of their ages are, but it would seem to me like they are maybe a bunch of 30 year olds making a load of assumptions on what a bunch of 20 year olds want.

And though they were one of those 20 year olds just a decade ago, and feel they still understand the YA market, the sims game is evidence that they are losing their footing on what is, or isn't trendy, or game breaking.

(This is just me thinking out loud)
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Some one in the positivity thread mentioned a concern over the issue with lag when you go in and out bb mode. I thought I'd comment here as the other thread really isn't appropriate for that.
    I have another concern about going in and out of bb in a clients home. There is currently a bug where if you go into bb on a lot that isn't your home lot, your sim gets treated as thought they aren't there any more, the lot becomes unviewable to you as though your sim is outside without permission to enter, even if they are already inside.
    Is this going to be fixed? Will players with this bug find it makes the new career unplayable? How do I find out before I buy the pack, as I am one of the people with this issue in my game?

Yep! I believe I also mentioned about the lag & probably crashing (somewhere, maybe not here) while the Sims completing the gig. The idea of the career is great, but how it works or being played by different people on different devices are another issue.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2021
    Onverser wrote: »
    Is anyone else bored of the oatmeal colored furniture that looks like cardboard? It made sense in Eco Lifestyle as that was about sustainability but we got the same style in Snowy Escape and Tiny Living and now pretty much all the items in this pack look like cardboard as well
    05-21-21-2-06-56-PM.png
    05-21-21-2-15-37-PM.png
    TS4_GP10_OFFICIAL_SCREENS_02_002_1080.png
    The wood texture and colour just looks like cardboard to me
    6a4c8826195e52bd58f1cc0bd9add863.png

Even though I adore decorating and interior design I am not loving this pack. Do not get the excitement over the furniture, everything looks so bland. This is the pack to have dynamic wood grains and marble veining, metal finishes, bold colors and patterns. More contemporary modern versus mid-century. When my mind goes to designers I think Kelly Wearstler and Jonathan Adler, this is all IKEA and Amazon. While it is great we are getting sectionals and a separate counter oven/stove top, a toaster oven seems so lackluster. Where are the large built-in fridges, double oven ranges and rain showers? They saw how we loved the stacked plates from Snowy Escape yet all they are showing for clutter/decor is base game.

Was looking forward to some gameplay that would be beneficial to all my sims like hotels or a new type of community lot.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • Options
    skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited May 2021
    bixters wrote: »
    And we know they barely test packs at all, so it'll just be Bust the Dust and Eco Lifestyle all over again :/
    And Realm of Magic. And Moschino. I think DU had some questionable glitches, as well. And Get to Work's detective career, got messed up thanks to Seasons.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I saw the trailer for this pack and thought "is this a joke?" It's such a wasted "theme" for a pack. You can build/buy - guess what? We can already do that. Meanwhile people are actively asking for farming, generations, werewolves, time travel, faeries, hotels and we get another way to do something we can already do in game.

Despite all of their polls that have some good ideas, it seems like EA is really struggling with what to put out in their game and expansion packs. This feels like an overpriced Stuff Pack, honestly. And I'm going to treat it like that. I am sure I'll get it at some point and will like some of the build/buy, but I'm waiting for 50% off on this one, that is unless they reveal something else about this pack that really wows me.

Watch the bonding with nature EP be camping (which we can do to an extent already) and more conservation (which I'm fine with as a theme, but we've had it tied into two EPS now).
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I saw the trailer for this pack and thought "is this a joke?" It's such a wasted "theme" for a pack. You can build/buy - guess what? We can already do that. Meanwhile people are actively asking for farming, generations, werewolves, time travel, faeries, hotels and we get another way to do something we can already do in game.
    Don't forget bands and dragons!
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    I don't understand why this is a game pack. Where's the gameplay?
    We can go to build mode and decorate whatever we want without buying a game pack for that. I don't even want to spend my precious time in a build mode, I always hate it and I'd rather play the game.
    My Sims aren't into fashion or designing and I don't want them to be. I just don't have any interest on those kind of things. A lot of my Sims are just plain average Sims who live in simple homes that I've downloaded from the gallery and I like it that way.
    I do have to say I like the new items, though, so I will get this pack just for them.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    muzickmage wrote: »
    If some of you in your 30s think you're getting too old for the game i'm in really big trouble lol. I'm just a bit over a month away from my 53rd birthday.

What age does "Sim Elder" start at? Should I be applying for Elder status? lol.

You become a Sim Elder after you were a Sim-Adult I guess? :D But with 53 you're still Sim-Adult age, when you turn 60 you should change your username to "Sim Elder" thank you :D

That is a horrible misconception. When you reach the age of sixty these days it equals 90 around 1970. That is why the politicians consider raising the age of retirement. The population is far to spry and active when they reach the age of retirement. Which meen that we will work for ever!
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    If some of you in your 30s think you're getting too old for the game i'm in really big trouble lol. I'm just a bit over a month away from my 53rd birthday.

What age does "Sim Elder" start at? Should I be applying for Elder status? lol.

You become a Sim Elder after you were a Sim-Adult I guess? :D But with 53 you're still Sim-Adult age, when you turn 60 you should change your username to "Sim Elder" thank you :D

Well that's just great. Too old to be a simmer, too young to be an Elder, Now i'm feeling like I just don't fit in lol.

Maybe EA/Maxis needs to set up a special place here in the forum for us lost souls to have a place to go. A quiet place where we can all talk about the old days... back when we were part of the community.

We should get our own game: The Sims 4 - Ancient Version
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    Thought I'd chime in about the age thing, since I'm 24 so still technically in the right demographic. The direction EA is taking with this franchise is almost insulting, but more-so for those of us who have played the previous iterations. It just doesn't feel like the Sims anymore. It doesn't feel like "playing with life" anymore. A lot of people have termed TS4 a "YA simulator" and while I'm inclined to agree, I feel like they aren't even doing THAT correctly. I miss the depth and drama and details of 2 and 3. The sims franchise is a sanitized, lazy, boring shell of what it used to be.

IMO... this hit and miss thing with EA trying to cater to the YA's of the world, is that the pack creators themselves aren't YAs. I don't know what all of their ages are, but it would seem to me like they are maybe a bunch of 30 year olds making a load of assumptions on what a bunch of 20 year olds want.

And though they were one of those 20 year olds just a decade ago, and feel they still understand the YA market, the sims game is evidence that they are losing their footing on what is, or isn't trendy, or game breaking.

Sounds pretty realistic. Also, thank you @skelebee for your post, it makes me hope for this game.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

I read part of an interview with (I think) the former SimGuruDrake where she discussed how they were aiming the Sims 4 to teenage girls. And went on to say, and apparently didn't think this was a problem at all, that they didn't talk to teenage girls, but to people who regularly talk to teenage girls, like teachers.

Even a few popular game changers are in their 30s. I'm not sure why I find that amusing.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I just thought of something: they'll probably tie this to the emotion system. Renovating a sim's house well will probably give them an overpowering positive moodlet that lasts way too long. Doing a bad job would give them a negative moodlet that will be overpowered by all the other happy moodlets.

Omg don't say that :lol:
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2021

This is exactly how I feel about it.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »
    I read part of an interview with (I think) the former SimGuruDrake where she discussed how they were aiming the Sims 4 to teenage girls. And went on to say, and apparently didn't think this was a problem at all, that they didn't talk to teenage girls, but to people who regularly talk to teenage girls, like teachers.
    My little sister is a teenager, and I'm sure she wants dragons in the game.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Is anyone else bored of the oatmeal colored furniture that looks like cardboard? It made sense in Eco Lifestyle as that was about sustainability but we got the same style in Snowy Escape and Tiny Living and now pretty much all the items in this pack look like cardboard as well
    05-21-21-2-06-56-PM.png
    05-21-21-2-15-37-PM.png
    TS4_GP10_OFFICIAL_SCREENS_02_002_1080.png
    The wood texture and colour just looks like cardboard to me
    6a4c8826195e52bd58f1cc0bd9add863.png

I agree in the sense it looks too modern, personally I like the colour, but I miss the woodgrain. I feel a woodgrain effect would make it look more alive and look less like cardboard. Heck, woodgrain is the reason why my irl bed is made from natural wood with a heavy grain pattern because it looks beautiful, imho. It's also solid as frick, just ask my shins, they have the bruises to prove it. Lol. XD
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited May 2021
    Felicity wrote: »
    My little sister is a teenager, and I'm sure she wants dragons in the game.

I sometimes wonder would you even like the what ever pack if you get your lovely Torch. :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I sometimes wonder would you even like the what ever pack if you get your lovely Torch. :)
    I want him to be like he was in Sims 1. He deserves the best. If I get that, I am satisfied. I just want my little buddy back.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I like the Young Adult theme, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will. EA can aim this game at whatever age they like and it will still be The Sims. People say you don't recognise it as The Sims because it focuses on the parties than it does on building families? Seriously? Maybe THEY are the ones not focusing on families so much?

Anyway, we're bound to get babies unlocked sooner or later...

On the other hand, the reason I turn off aging is because there's so little to do with Elders. We need more Elders stuff. Maybe they don't go to the gym or clubbing, but they DO do more than sit in a rocking chair and knit all day.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    I want him to be like he was in Sims 1. He deserves the best. If I get that, I am satisfied. I just want my little buddy back.

Fair enough :) I hope you get him eventually <3
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member

It's the same with horses for me, so I can relate to your heart's wish.
    Btw, I also liked dragons in TS1 and was disappointed by those spellcaster creatures when ROM came out.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Im not hating it...but I too am not impressed with it so far. Just renovating sim's homes? Not seeing extensive amount of gameplay with that and I doubt this is a career I'll play religiously. The BB's nice so there's that.
  • Options
    Also what's with the fashion in this pack? Idk looks weird, but not in a particularly new or interesting way.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Also what's with the fashion in this pack? Idk looks weird, but not in a particularly new or interesting way.

There's a new pair of women's boots. I think that might be the only fashion item that caught my eye. Everything else was overly colourful and busy looking pattern wise. It's probably just a preference thing but I've never been a fan of gaudy patterns on clothing.
  • Options
    SchlummikatzSchlummikatz Posts: 5 New Member
    What is the point in the upcoming Dream Home Decorator Pack? I, as the player, build and decorate sims houses. I do not need a new career who is dealing with it. EA should do better than that. It is very very dissapointing. There are so many careers I would like to see in TS4. It is so sad that EA is letting the Sims4 game going down...