Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    edited May 2021
    Is the whole game pack really just about one career? :o
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Is the whole game pack really just about one career? :o

At this point, that's all we've seen. No new world, no new skills, no new traits. It will possibly have preferences, but it's likely they will be part of the base game patch. And of course, there will be lots of BB.

So, yes, there's not much in this pack. I don't get why everyone's raving about it. I imagine everyone will get bored of the back after a couple hours because of how repetitive the career is.
  • WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    I hate to be that guy, as I'm sure that there are more than a few of you who are DYING to get this game pack... however, I am not one of them. The whole home decorator thing just isn't my cup of tea (like many of the kits that Maxis has released thus far), so I'll be sitting this one out.
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    and do not forget twitch livestream from the sims gurus that will explain more on the pack ;)
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited May 2021
    The pack seems solid. There's lots of content, no question.

The Bad:

The style of furniture. All of the seating seems eerily familiar... Also, modular furniture is nice, but the cabinetry seems like the kind of stuff that anyone could purchase at a flat pack outlet. Of all the retro styles that they could have chosen, I'm so sad that EA chose rounded 'corners'. I didn't like that stuff decades ago, I really don't like it now.

For a design pack, there isn't much variety either. Thankfully, there are years-worth of game content to draw from. Not to mention, there is also quality custom content that covers practically every era and design aesthetic.

The Good:

It's nice to see sectional sofas make a comeback! I'm also happy to see a cooktop. (I wonder if the ovens can be placed in the tall cabinet as wall ovens?) The toaster oven (?) has definitely piqued my interest. Please let it be real. If likes, dislikes, and favorites are clawing their way back into the franchise, those alone could make this new pack a winner!

Where build/buy is concerned, TS4 has been doing very well. Still, I hope to eventually see a pack that offers solid gameplay that is not based on aesthetics, but something deeper. A generations EP or a romance game pack comes to mind. ;)

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    muzickmage wrote: »
    If some of you in your 30s think you're getting too old for the game i'm in really big trouble lol. I'm just a bit over a month away from my 53rd birthday.

What age does "Sim Elder" start at? Should I be applying for Elder status? lol.

You become a Sim Elder after you were a Sim-Adult I guess? :D But with 53 you're still Sim-Adult age, when you turn 60 you should change your username to "Sim Elder" thank you :D

Well that's just great. Too old to be a simmer, too young to be an Elder, Now i'm feeling like I just don't fit in lol.

Maybe EA/Maxis needs to set up a special place here in the forum for us lost souls to have a place to go. A quiet place where we can all talk about the old days... back when we were part of the community.

We should get our own game: The Sims 4 - Ancient Version

They already made it. It's called The Sims 2. It was great. Sadly, you can't buy it any longer.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    @Cynna
    I watched the trailer a couple of times, once with no pausing and then once with lots of pausing to look at each different scene, and then I watched some reaction videos to the trailer. So basically I’ve seen everything that’s new in it and everything that’s not. At a glance.

And there’s a lot of stuff being reused from new setup to new setup (bed, misc. decor and clutter, plants, etc.). It makes it feel like there actually aren’t a lot of new objects in it. So I am hoping that they are not showing a lot of the objects intentionally because based on trailer it seems like it’s not that far off from what a non-build focused GP would have.

And that’s probably one of my biggest worries/issues with this pack. If you’re gonna have a B/B focused pack, you need to fill it up with B/B objects.

I said in the “how is this a gamepack?” Thread that Jungle Adventure has the highest B/B object count at 179, and that’s on top of everything else JA includes, as a non-build focused pack. So I’m really hoping DHD has more than that.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    If some of you in your 30s think you're getting too old for the game i'm in really big trouble lol. I'm just a bit over a month away from my 53rd birthday.

You become a Sim Elder after you were a Sim-Adult I guess? :D But with 53 you're still Sim-Adult age, when you turn 60 you should change your username to "Sim Elder" thank you :D

Well that's just great. Too old to be a simmer, too young to be an Elder, Now i'm feeling like I just don't fit in lol.

Maybe EA/Maxis needs to set up a special place here in the forum for us lost souls to have a place to go. A quiet place where we can all talk about the old days... back when we were part of the community.

They already made it. It's called The Sims 2. It was great. Sadly, you can't buy it any longer.

Yes you can? There are copies all over Amazon.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited May 2021

Wow. $80.73 for sims 2 pets pack?
    https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=sims+2&ref=nb_sb_noss
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm starting to feel a bit conflicted about the new GP BB items.

Lets call it.... "Free base game updates vs Pack Assets.

Back in March, I think it was March 23... the sims received a free update to the base game. Bunk beds. Sure, they didn't work to everyone's satisfaction, but there they were. This upcoming Tuesday, May 25 (2 months later) we are receiving an update to the bunk beds to fix the complaint with the placement of items under the loft bed. Again, a free update to the base game.

Now, the new upcoming GP, Dream Home Decorator, showcases as part of its BB items some new bunkbeds.... which I trust is supposed to add to the value of the pack.

On one hand, it can be argued that the bunk beds update was in preparation of the new GP, and the update was for that purpose.... to ready the game, and us simmers, for what was to come. However, IMO if the bunk beds were to be a selling asset of the GP wouldn't it have been better to limit bunk beds to that GP? Because now that I have them, I don't really need the new GP to get them.... therefore devaluing them as an asset for the pack.

While on the other hand, at the same time.... the bunk beds coming in the GP now come across as being nothing more than reskins of what we already have in base game.

It seems as well that this may happen again with the new CAS icon. Will we get added preferences? Likes/dislikes? But also important, will it be a free base game update on May 25, and become yet another reason why I don't need the DHD pack?

After subtracting from the new GP base game items (such as reskinned bunk beds), and base game features (like maybe the new CAS icon), what will be left for me to factor into the GPs price tag and consider it worth my investment?

I got Freetime for $20 last year. Not sure why that's so pricy.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member

Thats for game cube from what I can see. There is a pets ep for $
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member

Yeah, so I saw this post. I originally saw the title (since it mentioned wardrobe) and thought it was going to show the clothing available in CC but instead it was this image. Did anyone else feel a little insulted by this, or was it just me? :/<-- also why is there no grumpy emote.
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
    Werescythe wrote: »

Yeah, so I saw this post. I originally saw the title (since it mentioned wardrobe) and thought it was going to show the clothing available in CC but instead it was this image. Did anyone else feel a little insulted by this, or was it just me? :/<-- also why is there no grumpy emote.

Insulted? They literally can't just show us stuff from the pack before the live stream or release. It's how it's always been. It's not supposed to be insulting.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited May 2021
    It looks alright but im not 100% sure, when have simmers never been able to decorate another sims house? I use to do it all the time and still do it. I just hope it's not stuff pack in disguise and build and buy mode (which is always been in the base game) aren't being used to come up with a pack for features that are already there. Hoping the new career brings a lot fun as well.
    giphy.gif

• ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I really hope this is not only about redecorating your neighbor's homes - something that is possible via Manage Worlds since 2014. I see new climaxes of repetitiveness coming 😌.

I will be pleased if we get:
    - a great new preference system with (hair) colors, styles, music, food
    - a plethora of new exciting gameplay objects, and I'm not talking about a pizza microwave.

The trailer gave the impression to me it was changing your houses which is already available. The gigs look like you ask a series of questions.

I like the idea of likes/dislikes and some of the furniture shown looks really good.

I wonder if there’s penalties for not following the list given?
    Do the gigs become more challenging as you advance?

To me this would make a great stuff pack though. How many times would you be asking questions to redecorate houses when you could just go into build mode?

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited May 2021
    I really hope this is not only about redecorating your neighbor's homes - something that is possible via Manage Worlds since 2014. I see new climaxes of repetitiveness coming 😌.

I will be pleased if we get:
    - a great new preference system with (hair) colors, styles, music, food
    - a plethora of new exciting gameplay objects, and I'm not talking about a pizza microwave.

The trailer gave the impression to me it was changing your houses which is already available. The gigs look like you ask a series of questions.

I like the idea of likes/dislikes and some of the furniture shown looks really good.

I wonder if there’s penalties for not following the list given?
    Do the gigs become more challenging as you advance?

To me this would make a great stuff pack though. How many times would you be asking questions to redecorate houses when you could just go into build mode?

This is my biggest concern. Let's say, prior to the dislikes/likes (patch or come with the pack), we already plan (at least, for me) what we want the Sims rooms, houses, clothes, etc. So, I feel that, this career won't really add anything "new" to my play style, unlike the style influencer. I really like the career because I can make my townies look more presentable (at least for me) because I can see them walking around everywhere, unlike the rooms/houses. It's not an open world and this renovation won't actually affect us "directly" unless we intentionally go to the venue or lots.

I know that most of the time, for their marketing strategy, they will promote something that more visible & straightforward, like the BB or CAS, because people tend to attract & react positively towards colourful & vibrant products rather than the "complicated" gameplay. Hence, we always have the 2nd trailer, which focuses more on the gameplay because it requires in-depth explanation rather than a quick 2-3 minute trailer.

However, since the theme of this pack is "renovation" they should re-strategised their trailer towards the "gameplay" because, the pack name is an obvious indication that this is supposed to focus on the gameplay "Dream Home Decorator " A decorator is a person whose job involves decorating rooms? not a Dream Home where we will have lots of fun BB to use to decorate the house, though, it's a given for any packs. If they did the other way round, people can at least understand & perhaps react differently. Yet, if what we see is what we're getting... I don't think I will use the career & only buying this pack at a discounted price.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Althought i'm very excited with the upcoming pack this negative thought doesn't leave my mind: i play sims 4 in rotation and i play all the households that have a home. Will the interior design requests go along the personality, skills and real needs of my sims, or will it be random? I wouldn't like to have my lazy sim ask for a gym in the basement :lol:
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    Althought i'm very excited with the upcoming pack this negative thought doesn't leave my mind: i play sims 4 in rotation and i play all the households that have a home. Will the interior design requests go along the personality, skills and real needs of my sims, or will it be random? I wouldn't like to have my lazy sim ask for a gym in the basement :lol:

Oh no! :D I play rotational too! Now, I need to know, what if my vampire Sims would like to have a sunroof & perhaps a beautiful bathroom & kitchen? If it's only based on the personality, skills, etc.... now, I also need to know if there's a consequences on the occults too.. :o Vlad won't be happy (or, perhaps, I'm wrong) if we're getting rid of his basement.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited May 2021
    x4m1r4 wrote: »

Oh no! :D I play rotational too! Now, I need to know, what if my vampire Sims would like to have a sunroof & perhaps a beautiful bathroom & kitchen? If it's only based on the personality, skills, etc.... now, I also need to know if there's a consequences on the occults too.. :o Vlad won't be happy (or, perhaps, I'm wrong) if we're getting rid of his basement.

As I play rotational as well, I tend to decorate with new items I’ve bought as some houses are played more than others. Sometimes I’ll do the colour challenge. I played with The Roomies yesterday and put Oasis Courtyard items in. So I don’t see how much I’d use a Sim as the decorator.

Can the Sim question some of the clients requests? So if Vlad was to ask for a sun roof, or a lazy Sim a gym, they could make another suggestion? Can the client dock them points/money if they don’t like what’s said? Even if it’s practical I.e, a sun roof for a vampire... not a good mix!

Although having requests fit the personality of the Sim sounds much better.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member

I'm guessing we will probably get a few choices for 'gigs' and you can pick the one you want. So if you see your lazy sim wants a gym built (they could be trying to improve their lazy lifestyle lol) you could just opt not to do that one.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

I'm guessing we will probably get a few choices for 'gigs' and you can pick the one you want. So if you see your lazy sim wants a gym built (they could be trying to improve their lazy lifestyle lol) you could just opt not to do that one.

I hope so :smile:
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    I will never understand why people with positive outlooks on packs will go into a thread focusing on negative feelings about the same pack and berate people having a civil discussion about things that could potentially be disappointing, and vice-versa. Why can't people be allowed to have different opinions without toxic positivity or negativity creep into the opposing threads? -_-

To get it closed. It's why it's best to ignore someone who is trying to derail a thread.

So... to get back on topic. I think a big problem I have is while I like the idea of active careers, they never seem to work well for me if I have more than one sim in a household.

Yeah, I find this especially true for Sims 4 because of the closed world. I play sims 3 more often, and in one save am currently playing a household with an active firefighter, active lifeguard, and have a toddler at home. I never feel like I miss anything because I can bounce between them all.
    I really like active careers until my sim starts a family, and then I find myself quitting them. My play style is generational. I could see myself playing this home decorator career, but once a family starts....never reaching the top in it.

Totally get that as I'm a Generational player too. I like the active careers, I solved the problem you describe by taking turns daily - I use Zerbu's Go to School mod, so sometimes I have 3 or more Sims with active career/school gameplay in one family. So I take turns - I follow one sim every day one after another. If there are Sims staying at home, I'd give them their turn by playing with them at home for a day.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited May 2021
    Right now my only complaint is this....

Another pack with more mid-century
    contemporary modern furniture. Because we don't have enough of that in game already.

Sorry, not sorry. I just think there is plenty of it already. I would like to see some rustic farmhouse, traditional, casual, mission, styles please.
    Post edited by JestTru on
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    My biggest concern is the bugs and what it will break. They need to step up fixing the game before it becomes unplayable.