Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl's Guide: A History of the Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I see myself as one of the castaways and agree with what Carl says. In addition, TS4 lacks the depth and attention to detail of TS2. I know they are different games, and there are things in 4 that 2 doesn't have (it should in view of the ~10 years of growth in technology between them), but 4 still feels shallow, empty, and boring - bowl of broth compared to a steak. That and the bugs, endless bugs and glitches. It's a game made for the shareholders, profits, and casual players that don't really care. Yes, there are caring forum types that love it, but I suspect even they have lists of things they want to see added or wish had been done differently.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited March 2021
    Okay, so from this video, Carl's argument against TS4 is built upon 3 main critiques on - 1. quality of work, 2, depth of features, 3, lack of challenges. I think 1 and 2 go hand in hand with one another. A lower quality of work results in lack of in-depth features, but he also is referring to the abundance of glitches and bugs, and overall programming that makes the game frustrating/unplayable for some. He touched on A LOT in this video, (I've watched it three times to pick up on most of it) and overall, I agree with him.

I think ultimately if EA's vision of what the game is meant to be doesn't align with what you as a player want the game to be, you'll never see it as a great game or a game that feels like it's improving because no matter what EA does with the game, it will not satisfy your expectations. I think TS4 is a very tricky game to talk about in this regard because on one hand, it should be judged on its own merits and presentation as a life sim game, and on the other hand, it has a line of predecessors which will always cast a shadow of expectations over it simply for the fact that the existence of previous games means that comparisons can be drawn between the different versions. And because it's really the only major life sim game currently on the market (with a large audience of players wanting a life sim game, in general), expectations for it can be high from that perspective, as well.

I say that because some of Carl's arguments, and arguments that I've seen here on the forums about what the game should include draws from both expectations of a generic life sim game, and the history of the Sims series. For example, in a generic life sim game (which builds its setting from a modern, Western inspiration), it's not unreasonable to expect usable cars to be in the game. A life simulator is meant to, in some capacity, emulate real life and in real life, cars are usable. And as another example, specifically for a Sims game, it's not unreasonable to expect swimming pools or toddlers in the base game because we have evidence that these things were provided in base games of the past. Our understanding of both life sim games and Sims games shapes our expectations of both, which in turn have an effect on whether or not we think the game is where it should be or if improvements are required.

The Sims 4 turns 7 this fall. Some players feel like Sims are lacking in-depth personalities (myself included). If after 7 years the Sims are still in this hollow state, I just have to conclude that this is how the devs see the Sims of this generation to be. This is their vision. The expectations that I had for the Sims themselves is not equal to what the devs have and delivered in the game.
    And, if at some point Sims are updated with some robust personality system, it cannot be ignored that it took so long for it to happen, which is, in my opinion, a misstep in production. Either way, for a player who has the expectation for in-depth personalities, this does not look good either for the current state of the game, or its overall development.

The longer this series goes on for, the worse this...conundrum becomes. And I think personalities can stand in as an example for many other things that players feel are missing from the game. For example, players who want improved babies have to accept/recognize that the current babies are the vision the devs have for them in this iteration, or they will have to reconcile with the fact that if babies are improved somewhere down the line, it took over half a decade for that to happen. It's either a production flaw or a development flaw; either way, for someone who wants improved babies....there's something wrong here because their expectations are not being met.

And, while many Simmers are seemingly fine with this concept of prolonging what feels like necessary inclusions or improvements, others just are not. And yes, the business model for this series has always been to build upon the base game with DLC during its lifespan, but to be the 4th generation of a series, it feels like it's taking more time to get to an endpoint for TS4, or to feel like it's still playing catch up to its predecessors, or to implement truly game changing dynamics which makes it more frustrating. That makes me feel like it's the result of a....flawed guidance/development/inspiration/etc etc. It just is kind of a flop for me as a life sim, or as a Sims game. And I'm not trying to be overly negative when I say this, but rather just matter of fact. It is what it is, this is the reality -- this game doesn't meet my expectations. And I think objectively, that's fine. I can't be blown away by every game. But I can, and I think a lot of the more critical Simmers (who are, unfortunately, often times perceived as being negative and whiny) can also point out things that can be improved based on their expectations for a life sim and a Sims game. For some reason, people get really upset when people state their expectations and how the game fails to meet them.

So anyways, I've said all of this and I think I could go on and perhaps my train of thought is not very clear, but ultimately I think that the people that Carl made that video for, what he calls Castaways, and perhaps I'm one of them,...I think we just have different expectations from a lot of people. It's a reality that we have to face -- that this is just not the game that will make us happy. But, I think due to lack of other viable game alternatives, as well as an attachment to this series overall, we tend to stick around and come across as fussy because we just want a game that does meet our expectations and provides us with the sense of entertainment that other games or tv shows or music or whatever gives us when we indulge in them.

For someone with different expectations from mine, they don't see Carl's critiques as valid. To someone else, the level of depth in the gameplay is enough for them. The lack of challenges, or the current difficulty is enough for them. The devs created a game that makes them content, brings them joy, provides them with endless entertainment. For some of us, I think we just have to wait for something to come along and tick all of those boxes that we want ticked.
    Post edited by NationalPokedex on
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    edited March 2021
    Key word from the title is SOME.

Some fans, and who and what determines how big a fan is? I've been here since the beginning of the game. Am I not "one of the biggest fans" just because I don't have a massive following on the internet? A lot of assumptions being made here, just in the title and that's disappointing from someone who is usually as diplomatic and fair as Carl. Good for him, getting those views, but honestly? If you people really feel so strongly about "saving" this game, then you need to sacrifice the dollars in your pocket. Otherwise, you're just preaching to your choirs for Likes, upvotes and other ways to capitalize on the internet's very easy rage - which is probably what most people are really concerned with, given the state of the internet today.

I enjoy Sims 4, and I didn't like Sims 3. Sorry. I don't miss it, and I loved Sims 2 but I'll never go back. I hated story progression, hated not being able to move freely from one neighborhood to the next, hated the massive bugs and the reputation and attraction systems - I much prefer the mild suggestions of Sims 4, which allow you to override the game if you want. I appreciate that others have a different playstyle, but if this wasn't catering to yours, then by say, pack 4, you and your money should've walked out the door. You could've all banded together and started a hashtag on Twitter, telling EA/Maxis and The Sims team that you were walking with your wallet until your demands were met. Instead, many of you continue to not only buy (yes, even on sale your money goes directly to the company) but also "play" in different ways (challenges, building houses or creating lookbooks on Tumblr). Guess what all of those actions say to EA? It says, "I like to scream on the internet but I'll still buy this product that I'm screaming about!"

And we all know that EA is a money-hungry monster so...add it all up.

And the only reason they "listened" to black players was because everyone collectively decided to throw black people a few scraps after the George Floyd protests in lieu of, you know, actually trying to address the deeper issues of systemic racism by trying to introduce real systemic changes. Much easier to add new skin tones and remove Aunt Jemima. EA wasn't exempt from that BS move. That's it.

Y'all will hear this said a million times and still not understand that the only language any money-hungry monster speaks is MONEY. Honestly, it's like a jilted lover who won't accept the fact that they've been jilted at this point. They don't love you, simmers. They love your money. Stop sitting and moping by the window and do the things that make sense. Unless you just like being upset on the internet. Then by all means, continue.

Edit: Also, after watching most of the video, it is very much a lot of old community complaints that really aren't worth listening to (it took too long to get stuff, look at all the money we've spent for this game that I'm playing by making content for not playing, the community asked for this but this isn't what we asked for but it's totally what you asked for because ECO does not mean FARM) and weak arguments mixed with some more constructive ones that, again, if you're not happy by now - best just to keep playing previous iterations, wait for Paralives or Sims 5 or let it go. More disappointing than the game, tbh.
    Post edited by TheSpotted_C on
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Thank you for posting the video! It really says a lot about our current mess, why, and does it well. The very fact that there are many worlds available (provided one has paid the money to get them) is itself a witness against EA for the shallowness of their work. For example, Willow Creek has for community lots a museum, nightclub, gym, library and park. That's it. If I want to send my sims to a restaurant I either have to go to a another world or sacrifice one of the few existing lots to make one. There is no such problem in TS2. Every world, with its satellites, is self-contained. If by some odd fluke what I want isn't available there is plenty of open land where I can plop a lot down and build without sacrificing what is already there. Each of those worlds is unique, has its own personality, vibe, and residents; is not simply like all the others only with a different coat of paint on the surface.
  • Options
    amaniaaaamaniaaa Posts: 58 Member
    I agree 100% with the video, it honestly makes me sad to see where The Sims franchise is going. Carl's Sim Guides shares in the video their constructive criticism of why The Sims 4 is what it is today and also shows what this game really is and what has been through since the beginning. I highly recommend it to everyone, even to people saying "if you don't like it, just don't buy it".
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I never had to mod Sims 2 to enjoy the game ( I also do not use mods).
    Wow.. haha, I have over 5000 MOD files in my Downloads folder , plus the ridiculous amount of CC. And have never ever met a person before who never had a tiny need of mod the game AT ALL (TS2, what I still do play).

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2021

CAPTAIN_NXR7 I mean doesn't matter if you like the Sims 4 art style or not, it is still graphically superior compared to the previous games cause technological leap. So yeah I agree it looks a lot smoother, and in general better than the 15 or 20 year old Sims games. It's not up for debate to say it has better graphics, it is pretty much a fact. But yeah the art style does bother some people, not me personally. However the art style is more of a subjective thing.
    That is what worries me the most about the Sims 4. If graphics is the only thing the game has going for it, how many people will jump ship when the Sims 5 comes out because of it also being graphically superior? I think most of the community will if it remains single player.

I've actually really enjoyed having these much needed discussions with this thread too. Think it has been things that have needed to be said for over seven years and how to request tools to benefit everyone.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

CAPTAIN_NXR7 I mean doesn't matter if you like the Sims 4 art style or not, it is still graphically superior compared to the previous games cause technological leap. So yeah I agree it looks a lot smoother, and in general better than the 15 or 20 year old Sims games. It's not up for debate to say it has better graphics, it is pretty much a fact. But yeah the art style does bother some people, not me personally. However the art style is more of a subjective thing.
    That is what worries me the most about the Sims 4. If graphics is the only thing the game has going for it, how many people will jump ship when the Sims 5 comes out because of it also being graphically superior? I think most of the community will if it remains single player.

I've actually really enjoyed having these much needed discussions with this thread too. Think it has been things that have needed to be said for over seven years and how to request tools to benefit everyone.

But these things have been said over and over for the last seven years. You just now have different people starting to join in and voice their hopes for changes in the game.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2021

But these things have been said over and over for the last seven years. You just now have different people starting to join in and voice their hopes for changes in the game.
    Every voice helps. :) We didn't get toddlers in the game alone either. It took people coming together to make it happen.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Wow.. haha, I have over 5000 MOD files in my Downloads folder , plus the ridiculous amount of CC. And have never ever met a person before who never had a tiny need of mod the game AT ALL (TS2, what I still do play).

I have over 20GB in sims 2. I mean...there is so much to customize the game with. And I prefer to make my game harder so most of my mods add more challenge to it rather than making it easier. It's also a great way to enhance some things. I've got a functioning daycare, a functioning hospital, time passes when my sims leave and if I leave sims behind, I can go back and play them while the sims that left are still away. There's so much to enhance it. I've got extra sliders, the same skin I use in TS4. The only thing TS2 is missing for me is height mods.

In TS3 I don't have much, but what I do have enhances the game and, again, makes it harder. There are plenty of things I didn't like about TS3, but I am a big fan of the open world and my playstyle in TS3 is to play the whole town. So I'm constantly jumping around from house to house. That's a challenge and can be overwhelming when coming back to it after playing TS2 or TS4.

And TS4, I think one of the reasons I don't like it as much is because I refuse to install a lot of mods due to the update cycle. It's such a pain in the butt to update them. But I need them to make my gameplay more challenging. I haven't been playing TS4 for long, but when I do, I have fun enough. With some personality mods, I think I could turn it into something I could be happier with. And maybe after the game is over and there's no more updates and I can do with it as I like, I can be happy with it.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Every voice helps. :) We didn't get toddlers in the game alone either.
    It took people coming together to make it happen.

I agree. Just saying that it's nothing new.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Thank you for posting the video! It really says a lot about our current mess, why, and does it well. The very fact that there are many worlds available (provided one has paid the money to get them) is itself a witness against EA for the shallowness of their work. For example, Willow Creek has for community lots a museum, nightclub, gym, library and park. That's it. If I want to send my sims to a restaurant I either have to go to a another world or sacrifice one of the few existing lots to make one. There is no such problem in TS2. Every world, with its satellites, is self-contained. If by some odd fluke what I want isn't available there is plenty of open land where I can plop a lot down and build without sacrificing what is already there. Each of those worlds is unique, has its own personality, vibe, and residents; is not simply like all the others only with a different coat of paint on the surface.

I completely agree. The EA/Maxis worlds are very bad for precisely the reasons that you mentioned. They're so tiny, that they don't feel like worlds at all. In another thread, I called them bedroom communities, places where Sims live but in order to work, eat out, be entertained, they typically have to go somewhere else. San Myshuno, in particular, suffers from this syndrome. It's the only real urban "world" in the entire game. Yet, there is not enough room to add all of the venues that one would expect to find in a city -- meaning all of them. Hot-swapping lots is not my idea of a good time.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I do agree with Carl's video & it so reminds me of when I foolishly bought Sims 4 at the release thinking that it was going to be better than Sims 3. I still wished I had the wisdom to wait until the full completion of Sims 4 to decide to own it. And I strongly believe the ever so popular Sims 5 will be worse than Sims 4.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    If I could I would give this video more than 1 like!
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2021
    Key word from the title is SOME.

Some fans, and who and what determines how big a fan is? I've been here since the beginning of the game. Am I not "one of the biggest fans" just because I don't have a massive following on the internet? A lot of assumptions being made here, just in the title and that's disappointing from someone who is usually as diplomatic and fair as Carl. Good for him, getting those views, but honestly? If you people really feel so strongly about "saving" this game, then you need to sacrifice the dollars in your pocket. Otherwise, you're just preaching to your choirs for Likes, upvotes and other ways to capitalize on the internet's very easy rage - which is probably what most people are really concerned with, given the state of the internet today.

Wdym in the title? Do you meant say 'not likely to get better for some'? (?)

I also dont understand the argument people are 'hating on TS4 for likes' when i believe its more popular to think highly of TS4 on this site lol. Also its kind of dismissing people's points when they are making constructive critcism, and leads to toxic/petty back and forths about which group is more oppressed. It solves nothing, builds up nothing. Besides, any influencers, whether they think positively of TS4 or not are *all* being paid. Like yeah, its their job lol. I think its perfectly fine to buy every pack if your plan is to review it and show others (especially if its your choice of employment or side hustle!) Its another if you're a normal simmer buying every single expansion,pack, stuff pack, kit then complaining. I personally dont fiscally support TS4 anymore because it's not designed for me.
    And the only reason they "listened" to black players was because everyone collectively decided to throw black people a few scraps after the George Floyd protests in lieu of, you know, actually trying to address the deeper issues of systemic racism by trying to introduce real systemic changes. Much easier to add new skin tones and remove Aunt Jemima. EA wasn't exempt from that BS move. That's it.

This is true. EA doesnt care if youre black, white or purple. As long as your money is green. The pandering is disingenuous and I wish theyd focus on the game instead of branding and marketing. The actual update is a nice addition, but the virtue signaling can come to a full stop lol

The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Plot twist we're getting improved traits I guess 🤪
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I really hope story progression is going to be a thing in the sims 4 and burglars, we need those pests back 😂
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! Just as a heads-up: I merged two threads on this topic here. :)
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Improved traits, fear emotion already been added and bunk beds hmmmm I think this could be a great year for the sims 4
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    PreCiious wrote: »

I think its sad, that this game is about the players and not so much about the sims themselfs

But then when you tell people you want to play an actual game and not make everything up like its a dollhouse they say "It's your fault you find it boring, you are not creative enough".
    Since when do we have to make such a huge effort to enjoy a game?

What would you all want? Honest question, because I liked the fact StrangerVille gave you a goal and actually something to do besides go to work or a date, but everybody seemed to hate it. Or Jungle Adventure gave you a goal to explore the jungle and try to survive it, and there's a real chance your sim won't make it unless you have the right stuff. Is this stuff you all would want expanded more on? Or something totally different.

@eternalrainn What I meant is for example your sims personalities actually affecting their behavior. Kind of like they did in the Sims 2. So depending on what traits and personality you give them, they are attracted to certain people and not attracted to others, like doing certain things while not doing others, have certain goals that they won't to achieve or they will become miserable, have unexpected things happen to them like getting fired.
    Also a better AI that allows them to automatically do different things based on their personality or their hobby. Not all drink water and play computer games for all sims. Maybe also interact and call sims they want to talk to without you telling them.
    Another thing is long-term consequences, you do something, it has an effect on your life and the sims around you.

There are tons of great ideas to spice up the game that a lot of people in the feedback forums have shared, many are just features from previous sims games, like wants, fears, good aspirations, attaction systems, memories etc.

Just a way to individualize every sim so it doesn't feel like "This doll is gonna do this and that other doll is gonna do this".

Ohh okay, thanks for helping me understand! I've said before how community lots are frustrating a bit because it seems like the only thing sims will interact with is the bar. Unless you make it a nightclub/karaoke bar, but I don't always want to add the DJ booth or karaoke machine, or sometimes you want them to interact with the bubble blowers and they won't unless you call them to it.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2021

There are some that do exist but not too many, I do not mod or cheat in any game I play as some cheats and mods especially core mods can permanently affect one's game where you have to uninstall and reinstall an game. Do not get me wrong I would love to mod but I do not wish to through the hassle so I do not mod and again that goes for any games from outside Sims series. One more thing I do give kudos the modders even if I do not use them and some of these mods are used to fix something that EA/Maxis has yet to fix only break break them when the game gets patched and it may not even be the bug that they were supposed to fix. It is EA/Maxis job to fix what is their product and not the modders and I cannot give EA/Maxis kudos for that even when they fix something which should have been done an long time ago as an developer is only good as the problems they resolve and their track record is poor. Now CC I can deal with but no mods and some of the reasons I do not have to use them I am computer literate and able to fix some of my woes.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Folks, I had to remove several posts from this thread because they were against the forum rules. I'd like to remind you that these things are not okay:
    • Don't be rude. No matter what your feelings are about other people, EA Forums aren't the place to attack another person. That includes public figures, EA employees, or other forum users.
    • Don't be a troll, bait or flame. This includes deliberately trying to cause an argument by making sarcastic, off-topic, rude or disruptive posts, and discussions.
    - Leeloo
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Every voice helps. :) We didn't get toddlers in the game alone either. It took people coming together to make it happen.

I so agree even though some do not.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    Interesting review. I want to say hello to Carl, and say I'm sorry his boat landed here on Gilligan's Island, which by the way, we are never going to get off of, lol, somehow Gilligan will mess up the rescue over and over. Hi, Carl, sorry to see you landed here, but hey, we have been here for four years after the hope kool-aid wore off and it's been a bit lonely. Welcome. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.