Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl's Guide: A History of the Sims 4

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    "Update on News
    Hello everyone. My videos come a bit slower these days, but I got sidetracked from news due to IRL issues. Sims team didn't cover it enough anyway. I had to go digging myself for all the trait changes. I'm working on a video and edited 3m/7-8m of the content, so it'll be out in the next 48h! I look forward to sharing. I do not think this one update is some amazing thing, but it's DEFINITELY something people who care should encourage Maxis to do more of.... it's exactly the type of update that is needed. Thank you all for your support and the stability you have helped to provide during the slow times, letting me focus solely on Sims. You are amazing."

Carl Guides in https://www.patreon.com/posts/update-on-news-49332584?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=postshare
  • Options
    ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think there is nothing they can do at this point to improve the game to the extent that is needed. It´s been over 6 years.

What they are doing now, it´s just artificial breathing.

In my opinion a lot of the added game play features, like the dust system, and the parenthood personality system where children could become responsible or emphatic, are nothing but mini games all on their own. They are very difficult to incorporate into general game play. Playing a legacy, I don´t want to play mini games.

For one, the replay-ability is not really there at generation 4 or 5, and I don´t have the time for my sims to vacuum or teach their children to say they are sorry all day long. Had the vacuuming been needed a couple of times every sim week, and one or two sim hours would suffice, and the personality traits came naturally through interaction I would consider them adding to my game play experience.

But they are not.

Personality traits takes dedicated effort, grinding, and from what I have seen of the dust system it gets dusty all the time, and there are little monsters popping up destroying any ongoing rags to riches with a constant automated cash flow.

The people who made earlier sims games are not on the dev team, and it shows.
    These are not the people who made the games we remember and love, and I don´t think they know the sims at all.

For this team, an angry poop is a masterpiece.

I will not even get started on the sodding journey to Batuu.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    These are not the people who made the games we remember and love, and I don´t think they know the sims at all.

There are a few developers who have worked on previous games. Graham Nardone worked on Sims 3. Grant Rodiek worked on Sims 3. And Lyndsey Pearson who started with The Sims in 2002, worked on Sims 2 and Sims 3, and is now Executive Producer for the Sims.
  • Options

There are a few developers who have worked on previous games. Graham Nardone worked on Sims 3. Grant Rodiek worked on Sims 3. And Lyndsey Pearson who started with The Sims in 2002, worked on Sims 2 and Sims 3, and is now Executive Producer for the Sims.

And it is obvious that the current team is not the team that created the sims 2 or the team that created the sims 3.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member

And it is obvious that the current team is not the team that created the sims 2 or the team that created the sims 3.

As Executive Producer Lyndsay is very much a part of the current team.

Lyndsay Pearson
    The Sims 3
    Sep 2007 - 2011
    Led gameplay production for The Sims 3 Base Game. Went on to lead develoment on The Sims 3 World Adventures, The Sims 3 Ambitions.

The Sims 2
    2004 - 2007

The Sims

Jul 2002 - 2004
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    "Update on News
    Hello everyone. My videos come a bit slower these days, but I got sidetracked from news due to IRL issues. Sims team didn't cover it enough anyway. I had to go digging myself for all the trait changes. I'm working on a video and edited 3m/7-8m of the content, so it'll be out in the next 48h! I look forward to sharing. I do not think this one update is some amazing thing, but it's DEFINITELY something people who care should encourage Maxis to do more of.... it's exactly the type of update that is needed. Thank you all for your support and the stability you have helped to provide during the slow times, letting me focus solely on Sims. You are amazing."

Carl Guides in https://www.patreon.com/posts/update-on-news-49332584?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=postshare

Wait, what? They're improving the traits?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Lyndsay Pearson
    The Sims 3
    Sep 2007 - 2011
    Led gameplay production for The Sims 3 Base Game. Went on to lead develoment on The Sims 3 World Adventures, The Sims 3 Ambitions.

The Sims 2
    2004 - 2007

The Sims

Jul 2002 - 2004

I don´t really know how to address that without making it personal, so I wont.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Lyndsay Pearson
    The Sims 3
    Sep 2007 - 2011

The Sims 2
    2004 - 2007

The Sims

Jul 2002 - 2004

I want to think while you name him he is not the whole team for there appears to be an lot of members that were not on the original teams from the older versions and that is not saying even with the original team the outcome one sees today would not necessarily see the same outcome. Yes all is subjective but changes in this series are physically changing but it is the players perception of those physical changes that matter meaning the lack of features that were in one version excited one player, another player may not be necessarily be excited for I see some players are pleased by an smoother game where those same exciting features does not stress the system and for me myself I support their opinion but my opinion it is not necessarily an good thing for what was done to get the game to run smoothly(which I see now is subjective now).
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021

Lyndsay Pearson
    The Sims 3
    Sep 2007 - 2011

The Sims 2
    2004 - 2007

The Sims

Jul 2002 - 2004

Funny, how I didn't want WA or Ambitions since I felt they didn't belong in a life simulator such as The Sims. Never did get WA. Was gifted Ambitions. And I'm not into all that collecting (TS3's base and TS4's base busy work) which I also feel isn't a life simulator thing to do. But what do I know about life simulators, I'm just a customer and fan.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I guess I'm in the complete minority. I just want to say, I agree with you all, and your points are valid, and true. It's just, I tend to be in the minority on a lot of things, and this isn't different. I also want to emphasize, that just because I feel this way about the game, does not mean that this how I think the game should be. It should definitely get all of the core improvements that you are talking about. I would absolutely love more depth, intrigue, personalities, etc.

I guess, with me, is that I bend my play style to the sims, rather than making the game bend to me. I play differently with each iteration. I play without mods, and have found a play style in sims 4 that works for me. To be honest, I'm one of those people where sims is like therapy for me. And I disagree, I don't think that's unhealthy. I am trying to learn to not shame myself for enjoying escapism, because focusing on the real world and its problems too much is a stress monster. I have severe OCD, and a plethora of other diagnoses. So, sims 4 is a perfect outlet for me to be a control freak. Autonomy off. Everything in it's place. The game slows my brain down and stops me from having daily panic attacks. It stops my brain from obsessing about much more unhealthy and toxic things. It's about the only game that doesn't stress me out. I've enjoyed playing animal crossing, but it's just not the same for me. I like just watching my sims sit on their front porch and sip a cup of tea. I like watching my sims bake cookies and share them with their kids, take their dog on a walk during a sunset. I like simple, boring things. It's just my personality. I wear simple, boring, comfy clothes, and do simple, boring activities. When you have a brain that is constantly trying to murder you with anxiety, sometimes the more boring, the better. It's just how I am. I know 99% of people don't have this experience, but I still have a right to share. I don't think my experience means that's how the game should be, and I think you are all making wonderful points. I understand wanting challenge in the game, I wouldn't mind it either. I've played sims games for so many years that I'd probably be a pro at any level of difficulty, not to toot my own horn, but I can't imagine a sims game that I would find hard.

Again, this doesn't mean that I think the game should stay like this, or not improve. As I said, I bend to the sims. I loved the sims 2, and would still play it if it wasn't a pain to get to run. I watch PleasantSims a lot and have a blast watching her play. I would love a remaster. I think it's an amazingly fun game, and I enjoy the challenge and excitement it brings. I loved the sims 3 too, was just as obsessed with sims 3 as I am now with sims 4. I made this forum account during the sims 3 era, even. I'm also a patron for Paralives, and have been since Alex posted the first tweet about it. I'm very optimistic and excited about it. I'm excited about the potential Paradox game, and would be happy to play any competitors in this genre. This version of a life sim, that isn't a farming sim, but focused on more of a general day to day life, happens to be my favorite genre of game. So I'd play pretty much everything like it. Maybe I'm blindly optimistic and part of the problem, but this is one of the few things I'm optimistic about, and makes me happy, so to me all the DLC is worth it. Sims has given me joy and peace since I was a small child, and I just happen to enjoy sims 4 the most right now because it's the easiest to run, and is the most technically up to date.

I hope Sims 5 is good. The competitive aspect does scare me, admittedly. But if the online mode is optional, it should be fine. Most games have an optional online component, like animal crossing and stardew valley even. It's just kind of how things go nowadays. However, if I end up not enjoying it, which is definitely possible, I'll have no problem switching to Paralives. I'm not a blind brand loyalist, I think big business is icky and all that jazz. It's just, sims 4 is just kind of the only option I have right now, because I do not have the patience to install and fiddle with the older games, as lovely as they are. So, I make do. And I have fun.

I hope this makes sense, sorry for the essay. Just wanted to share my perspective, that I know the game has issues, but I can't help but love it because sims just makes me so stupidly happy, as lackluster as it admittedly is.