Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifestyles, Big Families, and Rotational Gameplay

thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
I play strict rotational gameplay (1-2 weeks per household), and most of my households consist of 6+ Sims. I have no time to "build" individual Sim lifestyles because of this. It upsets me how I just cheat to add/remove lifestyles and not actually build them like how it's supposed to be done.

I find this feature tedious and redundant. For me, lifestyles are just traits with extra steps.

Anybody with me on this one?
Or do you have tips/tricks on how to make it work with my kind of gameplay?

Comments

• Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I finally turned them off. I didn't like them.
    The box is under options gameplay settings.
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I've got 7 sims in my current household, I always forget that we even have lifestyles so I just leave it to give them whatever they get.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I play 12 households for about 10 days each, and it took a while to see how these lifestyles would play out. After giving them an honest chance, I am tempted to turn them off, but it could just be that I’m tired of certain ones. My sims tend to get Frequent Traveler and it’s too quick to give them the bored moodlets. Like they’re on vacation for 2 days and they’re already bored that they haven’t traveled. So I bring them to a community lot and that’s all it took. Then when they go home from vacation they’re energized for days and it’s hard to get them inspired so they can make decent meals or drinks. Then as soon as that’s over, they’re bored and want to travel again. It’s not what I had in mind at all. Yeah, I think I will just turn them off, that’s just one Lifestyle and I’m already annoyed thinking about the other ones.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    I just focus on lifestyles for my main sim. She currently has outdoorsy and people person and is working towards health food but. I'll probably switch it up once I experience the benefits of those three.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Yeah I play through 5-15 days in a household and it takes about 10 days if I'm really pushing a certian lifestyle, (my tech nerd got techie real quick alongside her outgoing sister for people person). And man did that techie overclocked computer now gives me a a 2-day focused moodlet, with the Meaningful Stories stories mod, which oh boy. Bit overpowered there.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I've never actually tried to pursue a lifestyle (I play rotationally as well) and I just tend to ignore the feature, but haven't turned it off, and my sims end up getting random lifestyles sometimes without me even trying
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I play 12 households for about 10 days each, and it took a while to see how these lifestyles would play out. After giving them an honest chance, I am tempted to turn them off, but it could just be that I’m tired of certain ones. My sims tend to get Frequent Traveler and it’s too quick to give them the bored moodlets. Like they’re on vacation for 2 days and they’re already bored that they haven’t traveled. So I bring them to a community lot and that’s all it took. Then when they go home from vacation they’re energized for days and it’s hard to get them inspired so they can make decent meals or drinks. Then as soon as that’s over, they’re bored and want to travel again. It’s not what I had in mind at all. Yeah, I think I will just turn them off, that’s just one Lifestyle and I’m already annoyed thinking about the other ones.

Is that where the bored moodlet springs from? And here I thought it was one of the mods I use. Kayleigh is mostly bored. She has six children, too. No time for boredom in that household. LOL Three teens, two child Sims and a Toddler. How on Earth can she be bored. Although, I do believe it is a mod because this mod also gives them personalities and when I hover over the bored it suggests checking what the personality is to help relieve the problem. But, that doesn't always 'fix' it. So, perhaps, it's a bit of both? Oi!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have lifestyles turned off. I play rotational but each family I play for a sim year on the calendar with my seasons set at 14 days so my family members do have time to gain some lifestyles. However they all get the same ones, people person is a given for every sim and all it does is make them miserable as the many friends they made while I wasn't playing with them start peeling off one by one because I can't be bothered to keep up with so many friendships.

My experience with them is that they just put sims in bad moods and I can't really see any reason to keep them on. I wish they could be improved at some point to make more sense. Even loner sims will get the people person lifestyle.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »

Is that where the bored moodlet springs from? And here I thought it was one of the mods I use. Kayleigh is mostly bored. She has six children, too. No time for boredom in that household. LOL Three teens, two child Sims and a Toddler. How on Earth can she be bored. Although, I do believe it is a mod because this mod also gives them personalities and when I hover over the bored it suggests checking what the personality is to help relieve the problem. But, that doesn't always 'fix' it. So, perhaps, it's a bit of both? Oi!

The bored moodlets I see from lifestyles describe themselves pretty well, so it sounds like yours are coming from a mod.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited February 2021
    I experimented with lifestyles for a while, but now it's time to turn them off, because I am so very tired. Everyone keeps getting close-knit, which makes them upset when they interract with their siblings and friends, because now they suddenly have too many friends, what a tragedy, or health-food nut, which makes them hate everything but a small number of foods. My sims are better off without this nonsense.
  • Options
    I turned lifestyles off in my game settings, have reloaded the game, but all that seems to have done is hide them from the UI. My sims still get moodlets associated with lifestyles, they’re still gaining them and I’m still getting notifications that some are at risk of being lost. I just tried using testingcheats to remove the one that was available to remove (it didn’t show the newly gained one as an option to remove). What a mess.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    I still have the lifestyle on, my current main sim became an adrenaline junky during his selvadora trip. Now he is settled with wife and son and became bored quite often, until he discovered the bees, now he is caring about them, who gave him enough thrill.

Only the single and loving it lifestyle I find that it comes too early for me, but that's because of my custom made sim lifes and had nothing to do with the lifestyle itself, so all my teenagers have that lifestyle, I don't want them to have a boyfriend or girlfriend or go for the hunt of them as soon they aged up to teenager, when I do consider them as only twelve or thirteen years old.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    After a lot of hesitation I turned the lifestyles on for my main save. I play over 30 households, but irregularly so I have time to focus on their lifestyles if I wish to. I've only got one sim who has gained all three as the progress is quite slow. Near everyone gains people person and I don't even bother removing it since it would just come back (they know over three sims as family and relatives count). Currently I actually like the lifestyles although I wish they were tuned a little.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Is this why my Sims are always sad. It says someone near them is sad, which makes them sad, which makes other people sad...
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    Is this why my Sims are always sad. It says someone near them is sad, which makes them sad, which makes other people sad...

I think that is a feature from the sentiments system, it gives the moodlet “shared sadness” (from seeing a loved one suffer). I actually like that feature and I thinks it gives a little depth to relations (= empathy).
  • Options
    simgirl542simgirl542 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I only managed to get one lifestyle one time when the feature first came out. I never get them anymore, but I do fill up the daily limit a lot. I don't know what I'm doing to fill it up but it does. I forgot that we could turn them off.
    I play rotation too but I'm trying to have one to three main households to play while the other households' babies age up.
    I like the baby life stage but it's hard to play with them when they're just an object and some of the time they don't cry so I don't know that they're hungry until I get a warning message saying they're going to get removed if I don't feed them.

Sentiments don't make much sense to me because I get sometimes get sentiments for just having two Sims start talking to each other and I often don't know what it's for and I don't see any changes besides maybe a moodlet.
    Celebrating 11 years on this forum. Simming proudly since 2001.