Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Have Aging Turned On For Your Townies?

I've always found myself torn across my saves to turn on aging for my townies or not. There are lots of times where I get such a great set up that I couldn't bare to lose a neighbourhood feel and established Sims... But I am not too much of a fan of having my Sims friends forever stay the ages that they are- I think it all depends on the type of save you are playing!

What is your play style? Do you let the whole world age? Just a few households? Tell me everything!

Do You Have Aging Turned On For Your Townies? 179 votes

Yes - All Households
37%
GalacticGalAlexaiWrenryoveronjonilla1PlayerSinger2010SimburianMaryVannasimbsimMeteoraStormhaneulcchant86wylmite1986alanmichael1SxcDannii202LizzychicagogreydonnSimplyJenKatiardguezMizzila1297 67 votes
No - Active Households Only
18%
bshag4lvlisamwittIsb917simm621elanorbretonEvilVamp667witchypiephantasmkissemereHarukotyanAPottssnoepjes1210ParmaViolet87Susim62ScobreFlapcat_momfilipomelShadyLady89Atreya33 33 votes
No - MY SIMS WILL LIVE FOREVER!!!
25%
SikoahGraceJueJueMonet11ElnVldsimgirl1010Sk8rblazetaydevLiverickDragonAge_300905elelunicyTrowiciafoxybillyMouse1996SindocatMissmagoo2Paulmarch76annaliese39VermilionSphereKathykinsEvaliyn 45 votes
Both - EXPLAIN!
18%
auroraael14Kita5399sketchesIceyJCamkatAngel_mixTheSpotted_CMindofyOnendOnliYazzieduhboy2u2kiwi84chealsycattexxx78adduapinaKarababy52CementMDianaSimsmusteniGenericTowniesimesmerized 34 votes

Comments

• Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Yes - All Households
    I play several saves of different types, but in almost all of them I rotate playing a number of households. In the very early going, I found it hard to let everyone age up; I was afraid I might miss something, I guess, lol. I did keep aging turned off back then, but things got very stale that way after a while. So I learned to let them go and live their lives. I've enjoyed it much more that way ever since. However, I do have a couple of special saves for special sims in which they never have to worry about dying or anything. I can't say I actively play those saves, but it's nice to look in on them now and then for the sake of nostalgia. :)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited February 2021
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    It depends if i'm playing a legacy in one only household. If so i have aging on for all and i add toddlers to the unplayed households via household manager.
    If i'm playing in rotation, then i prefer to age only the active household and have aging off for all the others.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Unless I'm playing the Black Widow. Lol :D
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited February 2021
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    Depends on the save. Usually I let them age just like my own Sims, but sometimes for story purposes I turn the aging off on townies for a while.
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    I turn aging on occasionally, when I feel that it's time for townie children to age up. I have MCCC that keeps producing babies, it's easier to turn the aging on for few days than to age everyone manually. Most of my played sims are immortal vampires or spellcasters, who won't age past the young adult stage.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    It totally depends on the save I'm playing. For certain challenges aging must be on for everyone.

My main generational save file that I've built from scratch, I play that rotationally and aging is only on for the active household so that I have the full control.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    So far, have only ever played with 'active household only'. Created so many Sims that I can't bare to watch age up and die. That's my main file since forever.

Planning to start a new one with only one playable family (full with immortals through various means) and mess around with the other families from the map. Have never seen or bothered to find out the result. Will the game create new Sims or will I have a ghost town if I do nothing? I've heard the clubs always has members.

Now I gotta check what happens with ghosts of unplayed Sims. I don't want to find gravestones everywhere..

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Yes - All Households
    Misread the post and thought it said do you have aging turned off, not on. I have it off all the time in my game, I like to populate the world with my own sims and I don't want them to all get old and be replaced by ugly townies.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    On for active households only and permanently for NPCs.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Yes - All Households
    It’s always annoying when my Sims end up going to school with their parents’ former classmates. XD
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I never turn aging on. I have talked about this in other threads before, but my play style is kind of like this - I have one giant main save that I've been working on since I got TS4 in 2017, where I play rotationally and make a lot of my sims stories interconnected and related, especially as I get new packs as well. To me, it all feels like a giant WIP, and aging would ruin a lot of my hard work. BUT I sometimes age sims manually for specific story purposes, adding new family members, etc. I just like to have a choice when they age up. Even the longest lifespan options aren't necessarily long enough for me, which is why I like to do aging myself when I feel ready. I like my game to feel long too - my seasons are 28 days, I have mods that let my pregnancies be extra long, and I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I keep babies around for a long time as well, just so I feel like my sims are really living out their lives in a way that never feels rushed.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    My gameplay is similar to PermanentRose except I only play one family and age up when I feel ready. My toddler, child, and teen have been in their age stages for 3 years. It just seems more realistic and gives me time to really bond and feel connected to them. I also have my seasons set for 28 days.
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    I turn aging on and off as "needed" for all households, to keep people aging roughly at a similar pace to my active households.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    I play with the NPC Control mod in my game so I only have select townies that have been made over to look acceptable. I'll let them age if they ever join with any of my households other than that they're just there to make the place look populated so I don't really care if they don't age.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2021
    if anyone has to age in my game i just age them up manually when i want it to happen

because i want chance to play with all premade households before they perish

and id rather not have randomly generated sims take over once they have perished

but i do note thats rather unrealistic and i sometimes mess up aging younger siblings older than the older siblings and then its just weird lmao

like how with bjergsens i already had elsa become ya and die but sofia is still teenage celeb and :sweat_smile: oops

also i often end up with quite many immortals cause i wasnt in murder mood and its too hard to accidentally die in ts4 minus aging up
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yes - All Households
    Outside of a challenge that requires the normal lifespan, I usually play on the long life cycle. I have aging on for NPCs and then I have it set for active household only for my played sims. I too like to feel like time is passing slowly so I have 28 day seasons in my game as well.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Yes - All Households
    I've said this elsewhere, but I like how standard aging helps balance the game. No one sim has time to max every skill or have every experience. They have to be more individual this way.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    Yes - All Households
    I keep aging on for everyone because I like the story to keep moving for everyone. I do get attached to sims and want to keep playing them, but rather than stop their aging, I will save them to begin a new save later on. ;)
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    There’s not an option for me. Unless I’ve read it wrong. My played households are with ageing off and my unplayed households have ageing on with a long lifespan.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    What I do is have it off for active household but on for townies. Then I go around and with the help of MCCC make certain sims immortal and exempt from culling. Usually the sims that get this are the ones that give good genes imo or that play into my storyline like Thorne, Brant, Caleb, Wolfgang, Becca, Makoa, Morgyn, Morgan and good ol' Bob.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    No one ages without my permission!

Um, well kind of. Anyway I like the idea of being able to marry the premades in my families but I don't want to play that many at once so if they don't age until they become important to my families they'll still be there for future generations.
  • Options
    intothehorizoneintothehorizone Posts: 88 Member
    Yes - All Households
    i probably should have picked both now that i think about it, but ah well-

i'll occasionally age down some of the friends of my played sims (most of my played sims are occults, so having all of their friends die whilst they don't age at all would be sad), but even then i honestly don't play with saves long enough for aging to really effect the world.

however, i do want to make a manually aging, interconnected story save at some point, but as of right now i don't have enough sims for that to really work out properly. (not to mention that a rotational play style is fairly unmotivating for me personally)
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    I've been playing the same twin siblings for 7 years! They've grown since then - but by only so much, sitting at the pinnacle of their respective careers (Comedian/Actor & Artist/Actress) as celebrities and living their best lives.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    For my legacy saves I turn off townie aging for the first several generations so that my sim heirs have a wider pool of non randomly generated sims to choose from. I can't very well marry Paolo Rocca or Yuki Bher to my sim heir and have nooboos if they are getting ready to die of old age! After about three generations I'll go ahead and turn aging back on and in some cases, go in and get certain townies preggers so that there's a new crop of babbies ta choose from when my own babbies get old enough! After that I choose #legacyloves from the gallery.

For my regular save, I let them live, grow up, grow old and die on their own. Its only fair they get a life and an afterlife.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Both - EXPLAIN!
    I turn aging on and off as "needed" for all households, to keep people aging roughly at a similar pace to my active households.
    Same
    I have MCCC so my townies have lives of their own. I turn aging off for everyone until I accomplish whatever goal I have, then it gets turned back on until I find a new goal.