The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
December 4 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

1151617181921...Next

Comments

  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 4,851 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think people need to just get over the idea that every single pack is for everyone. There are a bazillion players now and a large variety of preferences. It's time for the older iteration players to learn how to share their toys. Sometimes a pack just isn't for you. Or me. That's life.

    But the criticism isn't about that. The criticism is about product placement (for a PARK even) and priorities clearly dictated by money and not consumer care.
    Yes, a lot of people like this pack I am sure, but the reason we have so much disappointment is that this is basically a big big BIG billboard with the devs holding bags of Disney Dollars (tm) and laughing at the community wanting "bug fixes" and "babies" and other stupid stuff we obviously will never get because this was more important.

    OR if we believe the other side of the story Simguru Lindsey missed going to the amusement park with her kid, so she pushed this thru instead. The end result is still the same; the dev team saying quite openly "haha they want stuff fixed that has been broken for years but nah, let's do DISNEY STAR WARS instead!!"

    Yep, some people claim to not want product placement, but then we see requests for Harry Potter and Disney or Ikea and Ralph Lauren and pop culture references and it's plain as day that some do.

    I think the reason they chose the theme park is because (besides already having the Star Wars license) people have been asking for amusement parks and things for Sims to do. Disney is extremely popular, as is Star Wars, and the park is a new thing that the devs enjoyed so they thought it would be fun to have for Sims. And I think it actually does fit the game more than people realize. Sims is a life simulation, the Batuu Disney park is a real life Star Wars simulation, so to put that in the game isn't really that weird. Some will disagree and that's fine. It works well for me.

    P.S. The bug team is completely separate from the development team. There is no "instead". But I agree that they need to do more regarding fixes. As for the vocal requests of other players, I don't agree that baby changes and bunk beds are important enough to prioritize, but I do kind of wish they'd just do it so we can all move on from the redundant tirades.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited October 13
    Wow....I find all the defense of this pack rather pointless and sad. The pack was a flop, so much so that EA had to put out an apology letter. And just because a handful of players wanted it, doesn't justify it's existence.
    Post edited by bixters on
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited October 13
    bixters wrote: »
    Wow....I find the people still defending this pack rather embarrassing and sad.

    @bixters
    Unfortunately it wasn’t for you. Unfortunately It wasn’t for many. We’ll just have to see what EA/Maxis takes from it all. Hopefully there will be something for the majority soon.

    And absolutely none of us here should have to feel like they’re an embarrassment. Thank you sir.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,499 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    It's just extremely strange for the Sims 4 to get Star Wars related content before we get basic stuff like cars, better babies, better personalities and relationships, etc.

    Considering the team has made it very clear that it is THEM who decide what to make, it's becoming extremely more questionable as time goes on as to why they decide to make this niche play it once content, over content that's been highly requested since day one of The Sims 4's release. Sims 4 came out in 2014, it turns six years old next month, and we are getting STAR WARS before CARS.

    Not that I'm a player that desperately wants cars or anything, but you would think after six years of the game being out that at some point throughout these six years, something as basic and highly requested as cars would be made a priority.

    Priority is the key word here, where are the teams priorities at? They seem perfectly comfortable making a Star Wars pack, but not refining the roots of the game??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.

    Yes, cars. Not to mention HORSES, which should have come with the pet expansion in my opinion. But it is like some stuff are made backwards!

  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 4,518 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    It's just extremely strange for the Sims 4 to get Star Wars related content before we get basic stuff like cars, better babies, better personalities and relationships, etc.

    Considering the team has made it very clear that it is THEM who decide what to make, it's becoming extremely more questionable as time goes on as to why they decide to make this niche play it once content, over content that's been highly requested since day one of The Sims 4's release. Sims 4 came out in 2014, it turns six years old next month, and we are getting STAR WARS before CARS.

    Not that I'm a player that desperately wants cars or anything, but you would think after six years of the game being out that at some point throughout these six years, something as basic and highly requested as cars would be made a priority.

    Priority is the key word here, where are the teams priorities at? They seem perfectly comfortable making a Star Wars pack, but not refining the roots of the game??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.

    Yes, cars. Not to mention HORSES, which should have come with the pet expansion in my opinion. But it is like some stuff are made backwards!

    I am fine with new stuff as long as it shows a creative vision. I do not expect every iteration of the Sims to be a carbon copy with better graphics; I mean then they could just release "Sims 2 Remastered" instead (Oh and please do? I would buy it RIGHT NOW!!!).
    I personally never used horses (not a horse person, never has been, despite my family owning several IRL) but I agree that they are missing from the pets pack.

    I am one of those who TRULY love the Jungle Adventure, Tiny Living and Eco Lifestyle packs.
    As clunky as some mechanics are they do, in fact, show a creative vision and a willingness to work for it (tho I wish they bug tested far far more).
    The Star Wars pack is just 110% product placement. It is an AD that we are supposed to pay full price for when it should have been given for free (not saying the devs should work for free, I am saying Disney should have paid them working on it).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited October 13
    bixters wrote: »
    Wow....I find the people still defending this pack rather embarrassing and sad.

    @bixters
    Unfortunately it wasn’t for you. Unfortunately It wasn’t for many. We’ll just have to see what EA/Maxis takes from it all. Hopefully there will be something for the majority soon.

    And absolutely none of us here should have to feel like they’re an embarrassment. Thank you sir.

    I edited my comment since I came off a bit harsh, and I apologize for that, I shouldn't have made anyone feel embarrassed.
    However, at this point, what sort of defense is possible for this pack? It is almost unanimously disliked. Whatever financial gain they may have achieved from the pack is probably pointless because of how low the reputation of the Sims brand is currently.
    I just don’t understand what the discussion is anymore.
    And again, if you enjoyed this pack, then that’s great, but that doesn’t make the critique of this pack invalid
    Post edited by bixters on
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 329 Member
    I wouldn’t of minded a niche pack if it wasn’t for the pack coming in DEAD LAST in pack ideas poll... Dead last I think 21 people voted for it and while it’s gained some fans it’s also lost fans because the pack was basically longer strangerville.

    Especially when there are things sims 4 NEEDS... Good skin tones, good makeup, a baby update, hair colors, cars, more things for kids toddlers and teens to do. In my opinion we need a teen update (I want them to have their own height) or a pre teen/tween age. I would kill for a way to insure playable sims wouldn’t be considered townies! More recolors on clothes and BB stuff would be nice, also I’d love bunk beds. Most of this stuff should of either been in the base game or have been patched in long before now. The game has been out six years and we are asking for things that should of been in the BASE GAME!

    Also the game should work. I don’t have all the issues other simmers have with their games but I’m STILL afraid to play sims 4 some days I don’t want to feel like I have to start a new save every time an update comes out.

    I actually do want more niche packs... I REALLY want a BTS pack with their music, clothes hairstyles and B21 merch... I would never complain or ask for anything Sims 4 related again... But I’m half sure there would be lots of other simmers complaining (and rightfully so) because my dream pack game pack would come before things we actually need in the sims 4.

    I actually wouldn’t mind if EA just told us we can’t have certain features because they didn’t build the game to handle them, we already know this... If they were just completely honest about what sims 4 could or couldn’t be it wouldn’t be as bad.

    They could bring in modders to fix and pay them for their time... EA your rich you can pay them... It could be an amazing process, creative people who make this game playable with mods could probably save this game, EA should want to work with them. With their help sims 4 could feel like a game we all have had a hand in creating but instead we get tiny little updates that wreck our games.

    And a pack no one wanted! I shouldn’t feel depressed about this GAME and worried for The Sims as a franchise’s future, but I am.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,526 Member
    The Star Wars pack is garbage. I wouldn't install the pack if it was free. Hoping the new EP will get me excited.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 32,252 Member
    edited October 15
    LiELF wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think people need to just get over the idea that every single pack is for everyone. There are a bazillion players now and a large variety of preferences. It's time for the older iteration players to learn how to share their toys. Sometimes a pack just isn't for you. Or me. That's life.

    :o Considering the older iteration players had to beg for swimming pools, movie stars, toddlers, ghosts, maids, butlers, burglars, stop the culling of Sim friends, karaoke, pets, weather, terraforming, half walls, vampires, mermaids, aliens, running a business, stay at home jobs, self employment, generational play (Parenthood), and a dozen other things, I think they have the right to speak up and say no, we don't want linear, scripted play considering how much they had to beg (for years) for things they/we do like. Origin's ad in one place, says sculpt the landscape of your dream home...something 'older iteration players' had to beg and beg to get someone to do over at Maxis. I think the older iteration players have earned their merrit badges, and a big thankyou should be given to them. :p

    Well, it's like this. The older sibling tends to have a hard time getting used to sharing their space and toys and learning that it's not all about them anymore when younger siblings come along, right?

    Many of those things you mentioned were already planned for development somewhere down the line so for those things, no begging was needed. That's the nature of the Sims games. They are developed over time during their run. And Sims 4 still continues to be developed. The same will happen with Sims 5 when it releases another barebones base game, and then everyone will be rioting all over again for what's "missing" and what changed, except that the Sims 4 player voices will be added to the mix, looking for an emotion system, multitasking, art style, world aesthetics, representation, etc etc. So there's going to be the same push and pull and fighting between players and anger at the devs. Also, let's not pretend it's only the older iteration players who make requests, or that older players aren't also asking for new things never seen before, because they are.

    There are no merit badges. Old players and new are considered equal and on even ground. Family players and fantastical are the same. That's what players don't realize and it took me a while to figure it out myself. Playing past games doesn't give one player an upper hand or more validity for their personal preferences. Not in an ever - evolving game like The Sims. What it does give, are more solid examples for making requests or constructive criticisms.

    The Sims franchise is now much bigger than its early player base. Hard to swallow, yes, but true. Hence why every pack or piece of gameplay is not going to be liked by every player. Sometimes it's not about your preferences but someone else's. Everyone wants a lot. Everyone gets a little here and there. Nobody gets everything at once. The game continues development.

    I'm sorry but yes there are merrit badges, lol, it's like if the older iteration of players had not bought into the base game of TS4 because it was implied many, many things they felt were lacking would be added in time, then TS4 would have closed within the first three months. I know every one wants to think TS4 was a huge hit out the gate, it was not. It did not have a 'new following' established yet, not on day one or even day two. It was those older iteration players (those who had played one version or another) that has made it what it is. The core saved it's rear end. But after disappointment after disappointment it is newer players they had to grab to keep it going. The major fanbase of TS2 and TS3 aren't even buying anymore. It is new players who get the game for free or on sale every few months. Btw, it is on sale again, base, too, for $5.00 They have a 'new season' of sales this month across EA, but you know what, TS3 isn't $5.00. SW and other packs like that cause TS4 to have to be put on sale every few months (base game) for $5.00 to make up for the lack of what was projected they thought they would make on a pack.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 4,851 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think people need to just get over the idea that every single pack is for everyone. There are a bazillion players now and a large variety of preferences. It's time for the older iteration players to learn how to share their toys. Sometimes a pack just isn't for you. Or me. That's life.

    :o Considering the older iteration players had to beg for swimming pools, movie stars, toddlers, ghosts, maids, butlers, burglars, stop the culling of Sim friends, karaoke, pets, weather, terraforming, half walls, vampires, mermaids, aliens, running a business, stay at home jobs, self employment, generational play (Parenthood), and a dozen other things, I think they have the right to speak up and say no, we don't want linear, scripted play considering how much they had to beg (for years) for things they/we do like. Origin's ad in one place, says sculpt the landscape of your dream home...something 'older iteration players' had to beg and beg to get someone to do over at Maxis. I think the older iteration players have earned their merrit badges, and a big thankyou should be given to them. :p

    Well, it's like this. The older sibling tends to have a hard time getting used to sharing their space and toys and learning that it's not all about them anymore when younger siblings come along, right?

    Many of those things you mentioned were already planned for development somewhere down the line so for those things, no begging was needed. That's the nature of the Sims games. They are developed over time during their run. And Sims 4 still continues to be developed. The same will happen with Sims 5 when it releases another barebones base game, and then everyone will be rioting all over again for what's "missing" and what changed, except that the Sims 4 player voices will be added to the mix, looking for an emotion system, multitasking, art style, world aesthetics, representation, etc etc. So there's going to be the same push and pull and fighting between players and anger at the devs. Also, let's not pretend it's only the older iteration players who make requests, or that older players aren't also asking for new things never seen before, because they are.

    There are no merit badges. Old players and new are considered equal and on even ground. Family players and fantastical are the same. That's what players don't realize and it took me a while to figure it out myself. Playing past games doesn't give one player an upper hand or more validity for their personal preferences. Not in an ever - evolving game like The Sims. What it does give, are more solid examples for making requests or constructive criticisms.

    The Sims franchise is now much bigger than its early player base. Hard to swallow, yes, but true. Hence why every pack or piece of gameplay is not going to be liked by every player. Sometimes it's not about your preferences but someone else's. Everyone wants a lot. Everyone gets a little here and there. Nobody gets everything at once. The game continues development.

    I'm sorry but yes there are merrit badges, lol, it's like if the older iteration of players had not bought into the base game of TS4 because it was implied many, many things they felt were lacking would be added in time, then TS4 would have closed within the first three months. I know every one wants to think TS4 was a huge hit out the gate, it was not. It did not have a 'new following' established yet, not on day one or even day two. It was those older iteration players (those who had played one version or another) that has made it what it is. The core saved it's rear end. But after disappointment after disappointment it is newer players they had to grab to keep it going. The major fanbase of TS2 and TS3 aren't even buying anymore. It is new players who get the game for free or on sale every few months. Btw, it is on sale again, base, too, for $5.00 They have a 'new season' of sales this month across EA, but you know what, TS3 isn't $5.00. SW and other packs like that cause TS4 to have to be put on sale every few months (base game) for $5.00 to make up for the lack of what was projected they thought they would make on a pack.

    None of the previous games had a huge new player base right out of the gate and had to build it, that's not new. That's why marketing and promotions are done. To bring in new players. That's the standard in big companies, to promote growth. Sims 2 and Sims 3 did the same thing. The core player base is always expected to buy the next base game and the core player base grows with each iteration. Games aren't made to appease the same people over and over again, they are made to grow their player base so they make more money. It's the unfortunate truth of capitalism.

    But you're saying the game was "saved" somehow by older players just buying the base game, yet also that the game continued to struggle so that would mean they weren't saving it much at all, were they? You also say that because the game wasn't doing well, the company had to promote the game to new players in order for it to thrive, since older players weren't supporting it, and that's what then made the game popular. The new players. So that would mean the new players are the ones who actually "saved" the Sims franchise and made it possible for it to continue to a Sims 5. But you want to give the credit only to those older iterations players who don't even support the game anymore. Why don't new players deserve some "merit badges" for making the game's continuing future possible? Again, your argument speaks like the privileged older sibling who doesn't want to share their toys with the new sibling, even though they don't even play with those toys anymore.

    And please don't claim to know what the "majority" is or wants, or what they are doing. I am one of the older players myself, I started with Sims 2 and absolutely loved it. I've seen plenty of older iteration players who say they enjoy all versions of The Sims. I've seen many say they can't go back to older games because they miss things from Sims 4. I've seen plenty who didn't even like one or more of the previous iterations (like myself, who was never able to enjoy Sims 3) and I've seen plenty who are sick of the same old packs and gameplay and want new things.

    As for the sales, there is a whole other side of that that you don't seem to know about. The base game has paid for itself long ago. It's basically a bonus money maker at this point and a free marketing promo for more players. They aren't losing any money by making it cheap or putting it on sale and, in fact, it's the opposite. New players who get the base game are more likely to buy up new packs, bringing in more money. And once invested in Sims 4 with several packs, you have more people who are likely to spend more money on future packs. This is why Sims 3 doesn't need to go on sale to promote it. The game is outdated and finished. There is no potential growth for a game that age and there is no marketing and no more money being put into it. When Sims 4 packs go on sale it's because they have already met the numbers needed and are now used to draw in future customers for new packs at full price. And it goes on and on in a cycle and will continue to do so until the new iteration comes along.

    It doesn't matter who carried the game when or in what iteration they joined. All players have a part in supporting the franchise and have equal rights to their content requests. So, again, I'll stand by my original point: Every pack isn't for everyone. Some will like them, some won't. It's okay. There will be more. Skip the ones you don't like and buy the ones you do.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 4,518 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think people need to just get over the idea that every single pack is for everyone. There are a bazillion players now and a large variety of preferences. It's time for the older iteration players to learn how to share their toys. Sometimes a pack just isn't for you. Or me. That's life.

    :o Considering the older iteration players had to beg for swimming pools, movie stars, toddlers, ghosts, maids, butlers, burglars, stop the culling of Sim friends, karaoke, pets, weather, terraforming, half walls, vampires, mermaids, aliens, running a business, stay at home jobs, self employment, generational play (Parenthood), and a dozen other things, I think they have the right to speak up and say no, we don't want linear, scripted play considering how much they had to beg (for years) for things they/we do like. Origin's ad in one place, says sculpt the landscape of your dream home...something 'older iteration players' had to beg and beg to get someone to do over at Maxis. I think the older iteration players have earned their merrit badges, and a big thankyou should be given to them. :p

    Well, it's like this. The older sibling tends to have a hard time getting used to sharing their space and toys and learning that it's not all about them anymore when younger siblings come along, right?

    Many of those things you mentioned were already planned for development somewhere down the line so for those things, no begging was needed. That's the nature of the Sims games. They are developed over time during their run. And Sims 4 still continues to be developed. The same will happen with Sims 5 when it releases another barebones base game, and then everyone will be rioting all over again for what's "missing" and what changed, except that the Sims 4 player voices will be added to the mix, looking for an emotion system, multitasking, art style, world aesthetics, representation, etc etc. So there's going to be the same push and pull and fighting between players and anger at the devs. Also, let's not pretend it's only the older iteration players who make requests, or that older players aren't also asking for new things never seen before, because they are.

    There are no merit badges. Old players and new are considered equal and on even ground. Family players and fantastical are the same. That's what players don't realize and it took me a while to figure it out myself. Playing past games doesn't give one player an upper hand or more validity for their personal preferences. Not in an ever - evolving game like The Sims. What it does give, are more solid examples for making requests or constructive criticisms.

    The Sims franchise is now much bigger than its early player base. Hard to swallow, yes, but true. Hence why every pack or piece of gameplay is not going to be liked by every player. Sometimes it's not about your preferences but someone else's. Everyone wants a lot. Everyone gets a little here and there. Nobody gets everything at once. The game continues development.

    I'm sorry but yes there are merrit badges, lol, it's like if the older iteration of players had not bought into the base game of TS4 because it was implied many, many things they felt were lacking would be added in time, then TS4 would have closed within the first three months. I know every one wants to think TS4 was a huge hit out the gate, it was not. It did not have a 'new following' established yet, not on day one or even day two. It was those older iteration players (those who had played one version or another) that has made it what it is. The core saved it's rear end. But after disappointment after disappointment it is newer players they had to grab to keep it going. The major fanbase of TS2 and TS3 aren't even buying anymore. It is new players who get the game for free or on sale every few months. Btw, it is on sale again, base, too, for $5.00 They have a 'new season' of sales this month across EA, but you know what, TS3 isn't $5.00. SW and other packs like that cause TS4 to have to be put on sale every few months (base game) for $5.00 to make up for the lack of what was projected they thought they would make on a pack.

    None of the previous games had a huge new player base right out of the gate and had to build it, that's not new. That's why marketing and promotions are done. To bring in new players. That's the standard in big companies, to promote growth. Sims 2 and Sims 3 did the same thing. The core player base is always expected to buy the next base game and the core player base grows with each iteration. Games aren't made to appease the same people over and over again, they are made to grow their player base so they make more money. It's the unfortunate truth of capitalism.

    But you're saying the game was "saved" somehow by older players just buying the base game, yet also that the game continued to struggle so that would mean they weren't saving it much at all, were they? You also say that because the game wasn't doing well, the company had to promote the game to new players in order for it to thrive, since older players weren't supporting it, and that's what then made the game popular. The new players. So that would mean the new players are the ones who actually "saved" the Sims franchise and made it possible for it to continue to a Sims 5. But you want to give the credit only to those older iterations players who don't even support the game anymore. Why don't new players deserve some "merit badges" for making the game's continuing future possible? Again, your argument speaks like the privileged older sibling who doesn't want to share their toys with the new sibling, even though they don't even play with those toys anymore.

    And please don't claim to know what the "majority" is or wants, or what they are doing. I am one of the older players myself, I started with Sims 2 and absolutely loved it. I've seen plenty of older iteration players who say they enjoy all versions of The Sims. I've seen many say they can't go back to older games because they miss things from Sims 4. I've seen plenty who didn't even like one or more of the previous iterations (like myself, who was never able to enjoy Sims 3) and I've seen plenty who are sick of the same old packs and gameplay and want new things.

    As for the sales, there is a whole other side of that that you don't seem to know about. The base game has paid for itself long ago. It's basically a bonus money maker at this point and a free marketing promo for more players. They aren't losing any money by making it cheap or putting it on sale and, in fact, it's the opposite. New players who get the base game are more likely to buy up new packs, bringing in more money. And once invested in Sims 4 with several packs, you have more people who are likely to spend more money on future packs. This is why Sims 3 doesn't need to go on sale to promote it. The game is outdated and finished. There is no potential growth for a game that age and there is no marketing and no more money being put into it. When Sims 4 packs go on sale it's because they have already met the numbers needed and are now used to draw in future customers for new packs at full price. And it goes on and on in a cycle and will continue to do so until the new iteration comes along.

    It doesn't matter who carried the game when or in what iteration they joined. All players have a part in supporting the franchise and have equal rights to their content requests. So, again, I'll stand by my original point: Every pack isn't for everyone. Some will like them, some won't. It's okay. There will be more. Skip the ones you don't like and buy the ones you do.

    As much as I agree with your last paragraph, it is quite clear that Sims 4 no longer is a full price game. The player base is boosted by giveaways and extreme sales (which is sound strategy, that is how Blizzard does it too after all, both with Overwatch and WoW). While as pointed out above Sims 3 packs are still sold at almost full price which is ridiculous for a game that old, probably to steer people to Sims 4 instead.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,134 Member
    edited October 22
    marcel21 wrote: »
    SofieSimsx wrote: »
    I mean, if I wanted to play Star Wars I would literally just buy a Star Wars game...not Sims.

    Exactly. It is an awful Star Wars game and an awful Sims game.


    I like it a lot.
    So don't buy it. wait for them to release a pack you like ;)

    It is the first pack I have not bought, so ahead of you. It peaks my interest far less than My First Pet stuff after all.

    I felt the same with the dine out pack. I only own it cos my partner got it me as a gift.
    star wars content is great with content from get to work science career lot and the acting career lot for me :)
    The new expansion looks good :)


    Origin ID


Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top