Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cars Leak?!?

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    Do y'all know what's missing? Cars, babies, R&B, and more

A Romance Pack,Resorts and more Pool Items are missing as well.
  • Options
    GuillaumeSnowGuillaumeSnow Posts: 87 Member
    Interesting. EA's fiscal year ends in May if I'm not mistaken, so there's still time?
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    Do y'all know what's missing? Cars, babies, R&B, and more

A Romance Pack,Resorts and more Pool Items are missing as well.
    Great idea and agreed!
  • Options
    EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    I also think we'll see cars in the first months of 2021. We're six years into this iteration and they're saying they plan to keep it around for much longer. Somehow I don't think they'd do that without adding at least one or both of the most asked features - cars and babies.

Also, cars have been very present in both Evergreen Harbor and Mt. Komorebi. You could say they've been present since the beginning (in Oasis Springs for example), but they just seem to be everywhere lately. This is all just wishful thinking though.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I want liberated babies first, but I do want cars too.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Patrice wrote: »
    Cars would be awesome!! but then we need garages :|

Garages will most likely be included on the same day we get cars.

Problem will be that too many lots are so small, there won't be room for any garage. But street parking (or inventory parking) will do.

Just because there are cars, it doesn't mean that every sim has to have a car, just like in real life.

Like why would you ever give cars to the San Myshuno sims? Or anyone living in the old town area of Windenburg.

In previous iterations, I've mostly given cars either to my wealthy sims, or to... let us say... rural sims with a beat-up old car. Or for the mechanically inclined sims in TS2, a car to repair.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Problem will be that too many lots are so small, there won't be room for any garage. But street parking (or inventory parking) will do.

Just because there are cars, it doesn't mean that every sim has to have a car, just like in real life.

Like why would you ever give cars to the San Myshuno sims? Or anyone living in the old town area of Windenburg.

In previous iterations, I've mostly given cars either to my wealthy sims, or to... let us say... rural sims with a beat-up old car. Or for the mechanically inclined sims in TS2, a car to repair.

Why wouldn't San Myshuno or Winderburg residents own a liberated car? City people do have cars and so do people living in ancient houses.
  • Options
    GuillaumeSnowGuillaumeSnow Posts: 87 Member
    My theory, is that due to the way roads work in TS4, cars will be a hybrid between TS2 and 3. Sims get in and out of the car like in TS2 and have interactions like woohoo and whatever... But once a sim travels, it fades out and teleports to the nearest road in the map, then they drive the car to the edge of the map and you hit a loading screen, if there's no roads in the map, the sim just enters the car and there's an instant loading screen.
  • Options
    My theory, is that due to the way roads work in TS4, cars will be a hybrid between TS2 and 3. Sims get in and out of the car like in TS2 and have interactions like woohoo and whatever... But once a sim travels, it fades out and teleports to the nearest road in the map, then they drive the car to the edge of the map and you hit a loading screen, if there's no roads in the map, the sim just enters the car and there's an instant loading screen.

Thats how they could do it for sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »

Why wouldn't San Myshuno or Winderburg residents own a liberated car? City people do have cars and so do people living in ancient houses.

I lived in downtown areas of big cities (in different states and even countries) for more than twenty years, and can count on one hand the number of people I ever met who owned or regularly drove a car. Most people rely on public transportation and ride sharing.

There's nothing to say you can't give your sims in cities a car, I'm just saying I personally wouldn't, because it would not be realistic in my experience.

Also, I think you missed my point about Windenburg, which was about one specific neighborhood, not the whole world. It has nothing to do with living in "ancient houses." It's because unlike some of the other sims neighborhoods, the old town area specifically has a walkable, residential feel; I've lived in neighborhoods that feel like that with a central, core shopping area, and again, most people walk everywhere.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

I lived in downtown areas of big cities (in different states and even countries) for more than twenty years, and can count on one hand the number of people I ever met who owned or regularly drove a car. Most people rely on public transportation and ride sharing.

There's nothing to say you can't give your sims in cities a car, I'm just saying I personally wouldn't, because it would not be realistic in my experience.

In my observation, it depends heavily on the extent of the public transportation network. Speaking only of select US cities, cars are more or less unnecessary in cities like New York or Chicago (unless you're going out to Suburban Cook County from Chicago, and even that has a pretty decent network of busses) while I've generally been of the impression that Miami and Los Angeles have more drivers, comparatively, though you can still get by without one easily enough.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

In my observation, it depends heavily on the extent of the public transportation network. Speaking only of select US cities, cars are more or less unnecessary in cities like New York or Chicago (unless you're going out to Suburban Cook County from Chicago, and even that has a pretty decent network of busses) while I've generally been of the impression that Miami and Los Angeles have more drivers, comparatively, though you can still get by without one easily enough.

Yeah, that's very true (although my friends in LA also don't drive). My original point, though, is that not every sim would necessarily want or need a car, and I was giving of examples of places where I personally would not give cars to most of the sims.
  • Options
    MwnbemeMwnbeme Posts: 26 Member
    I'm confused why cars are such a sticking point. Its just an animation sequence your sim getting in and driving off the lot. Not trolling, genuinely curious. Its not like we would actually steer them around in the game.
  • Options
    YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    The only reason for me to want cars in my game is to get back car pools for work, school buses etc. to make the transitions to other locations a bit more immersive and then to have a car, so my sims could teach their teens to drive and have a woohoo in it XD
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Interesting. EA's fiscal year ends in May if I'm not mistaken, so there's still time?

Ends on March 31. But yes still plenty of time, especially with their anniversary in February
  • Options

Also, I think you missed my point about Windenburg, which was about one specific neighborhood, not the whole world. It has nothing to do with living in "ancient houses." It's because unlike some of the other sims neighborhoods, the old town area specifically has a walkable, residential feel; I've lived in neighborhoods that feel like that with a central, core shopping area, and again, most people walk everywhere.

I guess it would depend on how far your workplace is. Also, cities are not just the central downtown area which is usually limited to a few streets.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited December 2020

I live in California, about 100 miles north oh LA in a good size agricultural town, and I know very few people in the greater LA area or here where I live that don’t have a car, yes, we have a bus system, but if you have the money for a car here, you usually have one, even if it’s a beat up clunker, so for me, cars are very realistic. For apartments in SM, I can see a car going into the inventory rather than a garage. But in most houses except maybe the smallest lots, there should be room for a garage for a car.
  • Options
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

I live in California, about 100 miles north oh LA in a good size agricultural town, and I know very few people in the greater LA area or here where I live that don’t have a car, yes, we have a bus system, but if you have the money for a car here, you usually have one, even if it’s a beat up clunker, so for me, cars are very realistic. For apartments in SM, I can see a car going into the inventory rather than a garage. But in most houses except maybe the smallest lots, there should be room for a garage for a car.

There is plenty of room for garages even on small lots as we can build 8 floors in all.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    My Simmy Sense is tingling...

I think we'll be getting cars in the next quarter. Probably mid to late Feb or maybe early March if there isn't a pack out then.
  • Options
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    My Simmy Sense is tingling...

I think we'll be getting cars in the next quarter. Probably mid to late Feb or maybe early March if there isn't a pack out then.

Cars will probably come in a pre gp patch in February or March. Toddlers came in the Vampires Pre Patch.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't see ever having cars we can drive in the worlds we have now. Lots are too small for garages, roads that exist aren't mapped and routed as roads and, to be honest, if they can't add open water swimming to existing worlds that wouldn't need any routing, I don't see them adding roads for cars to existing worlds. It might be like swimming in that they give us a world made for driving in and then we can move all our sims to that one tiny world and try to have realistic game play and "tell our stories".

I would like a cars stuff pack that adds cars as objects along with other car related objects like garage stuff for your house lot or a new mechanic garage lot and skill, where cars can be "worked on".

There could be a lot of game play in a car object even if it never left the lot. Fixing it up, repairing it, painting it, changing the oil and tires, washing (and playing in the suds as one does), sitting in the car for romantic adults or 🐸🐸🐸🐸 teenagers (who can be caught by their parents when the windows fog up) while listening to music (does anyone listen to the car radio anymore?) and, in a convertible, to gaze up at the stars.

New deaths: Death by muffler exhaust and death by car falling on your sim while underneath it.

There's a lot of potential in a car related pack but I fear, based on the last few years, too many corners will be cut for speed or difficulty and we'll get a half-a$$ed pack that, like so many recently, feels incomplete and will disappoint us.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I don't see ever having cars we can drive in the worlds we have now. Lots are too small for garages, roads that exist aren't mapped and routed as roads and, to be honest, if they can't add open water swimming to existing worlds that wouldn't need any routing, I don't see them adding roads for cars to existing worlds. It might be like swimming in that they give us a world made for driving in and then we can move all our sims to that one tiny world and try to have realistic game play and "tell our stories".

I would like a cars stuff pack that adds cars as objects along with other car related objects like garage stuff for your house lot or a new mechanic garage lot and skill, where cars can be "worked on".

There could be a lot of game play in a car object even if it never left the lot. Fixing it up, repairing it, painting it, changing the oil and tires, washing (and playing in the suds as one does), sitting in the car for romantic adults or ❤️❤️❤️❤️ teenagers (who can be caught by their parents when the windows fog up) while listening to music (does anyone listen to the car radio anymore?) and, in a convertible, to gaze up at the stars.

New deaths: Death by muffler exhaust and death by car falling on your sim while underneath it.

There's a lot of potential in a car related pack but I fear, based on the last few years, too many corners will be cut for speed or difficulty and we'll get a half-a$$ed pack that, like so many recently, feels incomplete and will disappoint us.

I think they can add swimming to existing world since a modder is doing so.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    To be honest I hope so just so it stops people whining every 5 minutes, then again people will find something else to whine about if they bring it out same as ladders

@Onverser and thats their right to complain, Sims 4 has been handled poorly.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

There could be a lot of game play in a car object even if it never left the lot. Fixing it up, repairing it, painting it, changing the oil and tires, washing (and playing in the suds as one does), sitting in the car for romantic adults or ❤️❤️❤️❤️ teenagers (who can be caught by their parents when the windows fog up) while listening to music (does anyone listen to the car radio anymore?) and, in a convertible, to gaze up at the stars.

I think they can add swimming to existing world since a modder is doing so.

CAN and WILL are two different worlds very far apart.
  • Options
    NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member

Yeah, that's very true (although my friends in LA also don't drive). My original point, though, is that not every sim would necessarily want or need a car, and I was giving of examples of places where I personally would not give cars to most of the sims.

I think that's a neat idea. New traits for Sims that are averse to cars or want nothing more than a new ride.

It could also mesh well with EL, introducing new NAPs for car-free neighborhoods and an impact on the footprint, like how using the rocket makes it go industrial, using cars could do the same thing.
    Happy simming!