Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This needs to be said

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    @LiELF, wonderfully said. Your post should be required reading. 👍
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    But anticipation is fatal to happiness. Enjoy what is, now, here in the present.

Do you really believe that? Is there nothing you're anticipating and looking forward to?

I'm really looking forward to Eco Lifestyle but that doesn't detract from my current enjoyment of the game. I'm really looking forward to a farming expansion pack but that doesn't detract from my anticipation of Eco Lifestyle.

The Power of Anticipation: Why We All Need Something to Look Forward To

When we find ourselves in those less-than-ideal present moments, having something to look forward to in the future can give us the motivation and persistence to keep moving forward even during those difficult times.

https://www.theemotionmachine.com/power-anticipation-need-something-look-forward/
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    @simgirl1010 Thank you, your kind words are appreciated. :)

I also wholeheartedly agree with your above statement.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    But anticipation is fatal to happiness. Enjoy what is, now, here in the present.

Do you really believe that? Is there nothing you're anticipating and looking forward to?

I'm really looking forward to Eco Lifestyle but that doesn't detract from my current enjoyment of the game. I'm really looking forward to a farming expansion pack but that doesn't detract from my anticipation of Eco Lifestyle.

The Power of Anticipation: Why We All Need Something to Look Forward To

When we find ourselves in those less-than-ideal present moments, having something to look forward to in the future can give us the motivation and persistence to keep moving forward even during those difficult times.

https://www.theemotionmachine.com/power-anticipation-need-something-look-forward/
    I want both too. :) I loved cuddling my worms and pill bugs as a kid just as much as hugging llamas even if that makes me weird. Snakes cuddle really well too. I held a baby snake as a kid. Just because something isn't fluffy doesn't mean it doesn't need love too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited May 2020
    My personal experience hasn't been too bad, but I haven't been actively a part of the forum as long as others have. The two (wow, two already!!) Years that I've been here I haven't seen a noticeable decrease in the community.

There is always more controversy around pack announcements and releases. Always. And some people on both sides do get a bit heated. I've been in threads where we've been having lovely discussions, agreeing or otherwise, but it just takes one person to derail a thread and get it shut down completely. I don't think there are more mean people, I think there are people who can't express themselves politely who continue to be a problem for the rest of us.

But again, it depends on where you go and who you interact with. Anyone that I've personally quoted/replied to, even when I disagreed, has been a decent person (so far). I always try to make sure I almost over explain myself, otherwise you run the risk of people misinterpreting because they have no other context. You have to be explicit with what you mean online, and I think some issues that arise on here could be easily resolved by that alone.

All that being said, I simply might not realize it's gotten worse because I only became active on here when it was already bad. I also spend a fair amount of time on other social media, and Twitter/YouTube comments have been a worse experience for me for sure, so in comparison, the forum doesn't feel as bad.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    A guru said somewhere on Twitter at some point (might've been the Grant himself); keep your expectations in check. He meant that kindly. It's important to distinguish between wishful thinking and what is likely going to happen.

"Discover Prison" ..I want that :D

Okay, here's a scenario to consider. It's just an example. Let's say 90 percent of players, who are not part of this forum community, vote for a new frog occult stage, while the remaining 10 percent here on the forum vote for bunkbeds. Who is the team most likely to accommodate? I think it's reeally important to keep in mind that we on the forum make up but a fraction of the total Sims 4 playerbase. Yelling here (especially in general chat) will likely yield a whole lot of nothing - but I do think the feedback section still gets attention from the proper people.

Oh, and a small comparison.. kids get presents on Christmas if they've been good. It's a silly thing to write, I know, but throwing a tantrum never got me anywhere when I was a kid.. and it still doesn't :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    A guru said somewhere on Twitter at some point (might've been the Grant himself); keep your expectations in check. He meant that kindly. It's important to distinguish between wishful thinking and what is likely going to happen.

"Discover Prison" ..I want that :D

Okay, here's a scenario to consider. It's just an example. Let's say 90 percent of players, who are not part of this forum community, vote for a new frog occult stage, while the remaining 10 percent here on the forum vote for bunkbeds. Who is the team most likely to accommodate? I think it's reeally important to keep in mind that we on the forum make up but a fraction of the total Sims 4 playerbase. Yelling here (especially in general chat) will likely yield a whole lot of nothing - but I do think the feedback section still gets attention from the proper people.

Oh, and a small comparison.. kids get presents on Christmas if they've been good. It's a silly thing to write, I know, but throwing a tantrum never got me anywhere when I was a kid.. and it still doesn't :D
    I think it was SimGuruFrost before the Tiny Living Pack release. I know Lilsimsie said it in a YouTube video before and was pretty cool she was including herself in it too.I

Discover prison does sound interesting. I have a friend that used to be and he turned his life around and owns his own business now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

Yes, I really mean that. It's a deliberate, cultivated stance for peace of mind. Very much in a Ram Dass "Be Here Now" kind of way.

There are things I do hope to see - I particularly mention werewolves, which are my favorite Supernatural lifestate. I've chimed in now and again to express that. But I actually work at not building expectations. If they get a pack, I'll be happy. But I'll still avoid anticipating what I think they need to be, and try my very best to wait and see what they are, and to appreciate that.

If I had played into my anticipation for Realm of Magic, I'd have built stories in my head around my Sim and their Familiar which the Familiars as we have them would not support without an awful lot of "let's pretend" on my end. Instead, I puttered about on a few Sims learning the pack as we have it, and then chose how to integrate those features in terms of my legacy save. My story wasn't about familiars, but about families, legacies, masters and apprentices. I could not have imagined it in advance of the pack.

I trust the developers to give us something new and different, broaden our play, in any given pack. But I don't pin my hopes on specifics. What I end up liking best is nearly never what I expect to. I bought Spa Day for saunas and massage tables, but it's yoga that I use every day. I thought I'd be staying in a dorm with my Sims throughout University, but no - it is far better for my pace and style of play to have them attend from home. I know I am a lousy guesser, so I have learned to wait and see.

Are there things I'd like to have in TS4? Certainly. But I really do enjoy the game we have now, and if I'd rather have, say, body hair, I honestly have ceased to notice its absence. I'd like more bars and cabinets that actually match my counters. But I don't feel cheated if I have to make the best of mix and match mashups. Nothing will ever be perfect. But some things will surprise me by being better than I'd have thought.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I guess I wasn't just referring to the game but life in general. I'm already anticipating Christmas with my twin granddaughters because they'll be old enough to enjoy it. 😄
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    @LiELF I agree wholeheartedly with what simgirl1010 said. I think they should pin your post so everyone reads it. <3
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Also, the game has been improved over 6 years. I know not everyone is concerned with gender fluidity options, but they are absolutely a godsend for me. Who doesn't love TS4 toddlers? They are amazingly well-realized. All the moaning over the anniversary reward, but it was new base game content, for free. Really, I think people are looking for reason to complain. I don't spend money on packs that don't interest me, and that is, frankly, most of them. I have a rich, deep, engaging tribe of little Sims just living their little hearts out. Little glitches, or "I wish there were more of X" doesn't spoil it for me. If it did, I'd have to seriously rethink my emotional investment in something merely meant to entertain.

It definitely has, and I don't intend to downplay the improvements they've made over the years at all. However, one significant thing that really hasn't improved enough, and the one thing that prevents me from being able to play live mode (my favorite mode of The Sims) is the AI and personality of Sims in TS4. I can spend hours in TS2 because of how different playing each Sim and household feels from one another. Heck, I can make the same Sim and find tons of new ways to play, too. It's a little more difficult for me to do that in TS4.

If they dropped a Freetime-like expansion, patched in improvements to emotions, and freshened up the aspiration/whims system to be something more replayable, I'd probably be able to accept TS4 at is, and have fun with it again.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I guess I wasn't just referring to the game but life in general. I'm already anticipating Christmas with my twin granddaughters because they'll be old enough to enjoy it. 😄
    Awe congrats. My cousin has twins too. I got exciting news too recently. Been working my behind off trying to find work and I start a new job on Thursday helping the public out with government resources. I just got a call today about it. No wonder you always seemed so calm and wise being a grandma of what sounds like two special girls have a cool grandma like you to look up to.
  • Options
    @Bluegayle That's nice of you to say, thank you. <3
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    edited May 2020
    Off topic (sort of): I just have to say I find it refreshing (and a bit funny) that a thread about community toxicity has so many positive comments. The last few comments above mine are so nice.

That's all I have to say. Sorry for going off topic.
    Post edited by SweetieWright_84 on
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    peragogo wrote: »
    I will say, out of all of the gaming communities I hover around, The Sims is the one that feels like more people stick around long after they stop playing out of loathing. World of Warcraft would probably be a close second. “I haven’t played the game in 2 years because it’s so bad,” says active forum goer. “This version is the best and if you disagree, you’re a liar!!”

Can we not just spend time on what makes us happy?

I will only say this: This isn't like The Sims 3 that had its own dedicated forums many years ago, now all Sims games are confined to the same forum/site. So really, people are posting here not because they've given up on The Sims, but just because they've given up on The Sims 4 because it doesn't live up to the past three games in their heads. I see people on here because of their love for the first three games and they still want to take part in discussions....which eventually comes back around to Sims 4 because it's the game that's still getting attention from EA so it's always in our minds, whether we like it or not.

However with World of Warcraft it's a COMPLETELY different thing and something that's 100% justified to complain about because people liked a version of World of Warcraft THAT NO LONGER EXISTS AND IS IMPOSSIBLE TO RELIVE! Because again, as an old guy who played WOW back in the day.....I've literally hated everything past Lich King and am still sore about not being able to play THAT World of Warcraft again. It would basically be like if EA somehow found a way to delete Sims, 2 and 3 from all of our computers and scrub them off the internet and say "No, you only love Sims 4!"
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It's just differences of opinions that make people clash and feel like the community is toxic. I rarely see drama or just dont take the drama that seriously in simming community.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't really see the community is being toxic. Most of the time, from what I read, the majority of the Simmers is trying to be constructive. However, I do acknowledge that there're a few (minority) that constantly hate everything! ;)

I would say that, it's okay to have a debate as long as it's not harming anyone psychically/mentally. It's better to have the "debate" rather than giving a silent treatment whenever there's a matter of concern. Plus, we have a forum moderator if things go overboard.

The thing is, we need to be open minded & flexible. Learn how to give out an opinion rather than throwing out a tantrum where it could probably make things worse. Learn that people are different & there's nothing is ruder than forcing people to accept & believe what we want to believe.
    Post edited by x4m1r4 on
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    It's just differences of opinions that make people clash and feel like the community is toxic. I rarely see drama or just dont take the drama that seriously in simming community.

I've been on Twitter a lot recently, we have 2 huge dramas within a week! :D The last one is about a car. :#
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    xamira99 wrote: »

I've been on Twitter a lot recently, we have 2 huge dramas within a week! :D The last one is about a car. :#
    I guess they really want a car to cuddle too.
    5cf4f6e7a66771ac1e20b4d64a6c57e4.png
    But anyways if they do cars, I hope that they do them like an improved version of the Sims 2 ones and bring NPC cars back. I wouldn't mind a pack to occupy a patch like how toddlers got a SP. I think that they will take time to do decent animations for cars. Just something about the lockdown that has made me miss how much I love to drive my car to help my family out.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I've learned overtime that good things come evenually.
    I was sick with a bad side effects from premenapause for 2 years & now I'm finally better.
    My beautiful ground daughter now has developed a thoughtful heart & is my one blessing in life.

As for the Sims 4 game, it took 4 years to be able to get the Gamepacks & Stuff Packs.
    It was in September, when FINALLY I was able to get a card I could use online in Origin.
    I was so happy that I decided to go by theme packs, so I first bought Spooky & Vampires due to the fact that it was in the fall.
    It was so nice to FINALLY be able to make real Vampires instead of just pale human sims with capped teeth.
    I've learned to improvise my builds & households over the years.
    I do hope for body hair to be eventually in the CAS so my fake Werewolves can finally have fur.

And the only thing I was shocked about with this new game is that I thought there would be a Summer Theme, but I probably can make this work. Before the revealing of the new Expansion Pack, I began to get bored with my isolation that I used my crazy imagination & created a whole new game save based on my version of the future in the year 2525 with Utopia & Apocalyse. This game made me laugh because it will go well with my crazy theme.

Now, I just have to wait for a game to go with my second whole game save called prehistoric. Lol

Never be afraid to think outside the box & use what resources you have & let your imagination soar.

• Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Am I the only one who thinks the simming community is becoming toxic now? Like, everyone is arguing with each other about maxis match vs alpha, or the new upcoming expansion pack etc, getting offended when another person whitewashes or blackfaces a sim, harassing and bullying the gurus, whines and complains whenever a new pack is announced and y’all also accuse simmers or the sims team of stealing someone’s idea. I must ask, what happened to this community??? And it’s actually kind of sad when you think about it.

And I know I’m blowing this out of portion but this needs to be said.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on it?

I haven't noticed the things you mentioned specifically since I've been away a lot, but I can totally relate to how you feel! I love this forum, but I discovered for myself personally that I do have to be careful when visiting and not spend too much time reading drama, though sometimes it can be fun not gonna lie lol, but other times I feed off negative things emotionally and then I feel anxious or depressed and then I might post something negative without meaning to and then spiral into guilt afterward worrying if I offended someone even though no one notices my comments anyway lol. I am just a very sensitive person. Politics or social media and the internet stresses me out in general. I think it's important just to create distance for yourself and decide how much you can handle on an internet platform before you start getting emotionally hooked by total strangers, I just go offline and do something else when that happens, because I spend too much time online as it is. It's not that the forum is toxic, it's just that you are maybe getting hooked by some people who are toxic. Toxic people are everywhere in the world. There are people here who are just incapable of commenting friendly, polite, or kind messages and just have to be non-stop sarcastic, rude, hostile, and combative no matter what the topic is. Often times I click on their comment history just to marvel at their Sim anger issues and wonder like what the heck are these people doing here? Now that I have got to know their usernames I just skip over their comments if I'm having a bad day lol. I don't ignore anyone because often they have good points too. You should create positive topics if you feel the forum is too negative. It's the only way to really create more positivity and there are a lot of people here who only open and post on positive topics so you will have more fun if you just engage more with them.

• Options
    XMachiaXXMachiaX Posts: 122 Member
    edited May 2020
    Am I the only one who thinks the simming community is becoming toxic now? Like, everyone is arguing with each other about maxis match vs alpha, or the new upcoming expansion pack etc, getting offended when another person whitewashes or blackfaces a sim, harassing and bullying the gurus, whines and complains whenever a new pack is announced and y’all also accuse simmers or the sims team of stealing someone’s idea. I must ask, what happened to this community??? And it’s actually kind of sad when you think about it.

"First World problems". People get upset about every little thing. For example, if you don't like a pack, you don't buy it. So easy. But we live in a society where people are used to getting everything at any time, just the way they want it... And, if that's not the case, they're upset.
  • Options
    ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    Well, did they announce or even hint at bunk-beds for University? No. Did we get them? No. Did people act as though they had rounded up war orphans to face a firing squad when we didn't get bunk beds? Yes.

The devs know there's a demand. Apparently, bunk beds are unusually tricky with this engine. We won't hear a peep about them from the Gurus until they have made them work, and found the pack to feature them (perhaps Discover Prison - that would be a surprise!).

Someone out there has this Platonic ideal of a kids' room they are simply aching to give their Sims, and it all hinges on the bunk beds, I know. But anticipation is fatal to happiness. Enjoy what is, now, here in the present.

I miss my werewolves. I'd love to see new and better ones in TS4. But I am content with the Sims I have, and prepared to be excited if my woofy bois make the cut someday. I won't be disappointed because we get Discover Prison first.

OMG now my head is running with ideas for discovering prison... that could actually be totally new and funny and weirdly strange... Prison Break in the sims... hell yes :D
  • Options
    XMachiaX wrote: »

"First World problems". People get upset about every little thing. For example, if you don't like a pack, you don't buy it. So easy. But we live in a society where people are used to getting everything at any time, just the way they want it... And, if that's not the case, they're upset.

I would somewhat agree with this if the Sims 4 didn't have an international player base.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited May 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    XMachiaX wrote: »

I would somewhat agree with this if the Sims 4 didn't have an international player base.

It just means a lot of upset 'mees'.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted