Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This needs to be said

124...Next

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    XMachiaX wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the simming community is becoming toxic now? Like, everyone is arguing with each other about maxis match vs alpha, or the new upcoming expansion pack etc, getting offended when another person whitewashes or blackfaces a sim, harassing and bullying the gurus, whines and complains whenever a new pack is announced and y’all also accuse simmers or the sims team of stealing someone’s idea. I must ask, what happened to this community??? And it’s actually kind of sad when you think about it.

And I know I’m blowing this out of portion but this needs to be said.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on it?

"First World problems". People get upset about every little thing. For example, if you don't like a pack, you don't buy it. So easy. But we live in a society where people are used to getting everything at any time, just the way they want it... And, if that's not the case, they're upset.

I would somewhat agree with this if the Sims 4 didn't have an international player base.

It just means a lot of upset 'mees'.

Yes, I know. But there was also a reference to what society we live in, so I was speaking more literally. I'm in the US, for example. And pre-covid, I'd say "first world problems" were definitely a factor here because we live very enriched lives without much realization or gratitude.

But I think that part of the excessive frustration and negative emotions in this case can also be attributed to our current world crisis. Being stuck in lockdowns with uncertainty, with household members getting on our nerves, plus illness everywhere and people panicking, the difficulty of finding necessary supplies, and people out of work...can all contribute to regular tension and anxiety and annoyance. Plus, with nothing else to do, more people might be hyperfocusing on the game, (a manner of escapism) and so reactions and emotions (both for criticism of the game and also response to criticism) will be a little more raw.

For example, I'm out of work right now and my house is being sold so I have to think about moving in the next few months in the middle of a pandemic. Normally I'd be looking forward to moving, but I also have an autoimmune disorder, which makes potential exposure a little scarier. It's no wonder I'm a little crankier, lol.

People are going through a lot. I think we just need to cut each other some slack right now.
    #Team Occult
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Am I the only one who thinks the simming community is becoming toxic now? Like, everyone is arguing with each other about maxis match vs alpha, or the new upcoming expansion pack etc, getting offended when another person whitewashes or blackfaces a sim, harassing and bullying the gurus, whines and complains whenever a new pack is announced and y’all also accuse simmers or the sims team of stealing someone’s idea. I must ask, what happened to this community??? And it’s actually kind of sad when you think about it.

I am listening to the Mechanicus Soundtrack now but I'll try. I think the community expects more from EA because of Sims 1-3. I feel EA/Maxis is resting on their laurels instead of raising the bar with Sims 4. This isn't meant to be negative its meant to be constructive criticism. I base this on the amount of stuff, traits, careers etc in Sims 3 and the fact I always played Sims 1-3 without any mods or CC because there was and always something to do to inspire gameplay and make things interesting so I never thought about adding it into the game. I still play sims 2 and 3 without mods or CC. I feel I don't need them. However, I have mods and tons of CC for Sims 4. Most mods I have are there to fix problems with Sims 4.

I don't care how people make their sims backstories and how their sims look.

If I am going to say something that could across as rude I also add that I don't mean to disrespect or offend or I warn people when it's going to get real very fast. Its because you do have people out there in all fandoms that will take offence to their own shadow. When I complain its meant to be constructive criticism. For example, I would love to see bigger worlds and more Weaknesses and strengths for Vampires. I love "Realm of Magic". However, I would love more disciplines for magic and the Sages to not be recycled so quickly and more spells for our spellcasters. I would love clutter like chalices. athames alter clothes and alter items for spellcasters, It should be in the spirit of Wicca and Paganism. Each Sage should have their own personal alter in The Magical Realm. Magic should have consequences most of all. Simeon Silversweater Sage of Practical Magic should be able to use magic to talk to machines and electronics to gain social and ease the machine's pain to gain empathy and a happy or inspired buff. He should be able to use magic to control anything electronic or mechanical with ease. Morgyn should have his emotions affect his magic more and Untamed Magic should give him a field of "Wylde Energy/Magic" that protects him from being cursed but it can make his magic though successful a little wonky at times. Zip Zap can kill a Vampire. There should be occult hunters officially in the game. It would explain why the Sages stay in the Magic Realm, why at least 2 of the 3 of them will always greet your sim when you first enter the Magic Realm and why the spellcasters all seem to be aware of each other. Why the vampires are in Forgotten Hollow and live so close to each other.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    XMachiaX wrote: »

"First World problems". People get upset about every little thing. For example, if you don't like a pack, you don't buy it. So easy. But we live in a society where people are used to getting everything at any time, just the way they want it... And, if that's not the case, they're upset.

I would somewhat agree with this if the Sims 4 didn't have an international player base.

It just means a lot of upset 'mees'.

Yes, I know. But there was also a reference to what society we live in, so I was speaking more literally. I'm in the US, for example. And pre-covid, I'd say "first world problems" were definitely a factor here because we live very enriched lives without much realization or gratitude.

But I think that part of the excessive frustration and negative emotions in this case can also be attributed to our current world crisis. Being stuck in lockdowns with uncertainty, with household members getting on our nerves, plus illness everywhere and people panicking, the difficulty of finding necessary supplies, and people out of work...can all contribute to regular tension and anxiety and annoyance. Plus, with nothing else to do, more people might be hyperfocusing on the game, (a manner of escapism) and so reactions and emotions (both for criticism of the game and also response to criticism) will be a little more raw.

For example, I'm out of work right now and my house is being sold so I have to think about moving in the next few months in the middle of a pandemic. Normally I'd be looking forward to moving, but I also have an autoimmune disorder, which makes potential exposure a little scarier. It's no wonder I'm a little crankier, lol.

People are going through a lot. I think we just need to cut each other some slack right now.

I believe you are very right about that. We all need some extra tolerance levels these days. Both on the giving and the receiving end.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    I think in general negative comments or disagreements are going to be louder and longer than positivity and people agreeing with each other because there's more to discuss. The only reactions there are in the forums are some form of silent agreement but there is no way to disagree to an idea without commenting, I guess it depends on people whether they prefer it one way or another but I think it would we better to just have a dislike or disagree option which may lead to less comments that add on to that negative feeling.

Apart from that, with the latest announcement of the new EP some people have gone too far, there are things that the game is still lacking but I think everyone to a certain extent agrees no matter how they play and no one is 100% satisfied (if anybody would ever be is another question, once their expectations are met there probably will be more; it's the sims, the possibilities are endless). It feels unfair that once there is something appealing to some of the simmers, all the others who don't want that lack the respect to just accept it and move on, keep asking for what you want in discussions or whatever but let the other people be happy about it.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    [/quote]

It may or may not happen, but there's nothing we can do about the behaviour of others to stop it.

A few months back there was a poll someone started about whether people like drama on the board and a surprising amount said they love it and even try to get people riled up. I think the best way to stop it, is to ignore it. Stick with threads about game play and challenges and stuff,it isn't in those ones.

I DO like to state my opinion in the threads, you know, in case EA is reading haha,so they know what I like ;) But I don't like the insults/drama either. WHen it gets really bad I avoid the board for a few days until it settles again[/quote]

Exactly! I have been on the sims forums since Sims 2 also and my, my but the nastiness that came out at the announcement of Sims 3. That seems to be the mantra of any new release. I remember the hullabaloo when the details of Sims 4 came out, lol. So like SimAlexandria said, I just wait for a couple of days for the feathers to settle.

In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    It's just differences of opinions that make people clash and feel like the community is toxic. I rarely see drama or just dont take the drama that seriously in simming community.

I've been on Twitter a lot recently, we have 2 huge dramas within a week! :D The last one is about a car. :#

Lol.
    giphy.gif