Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This needs to be said

lovelyskysxlovelyskysx Posts: 93 Member
Am I the only one who thinks the simming community is becoming toxic now? Like, everyone is arguing with each other about maxis match vs alpha, or the new upcoming expansion pack etc, getting offended when another person whitewashes or blackfaces a sim, harassing and bullying the gurus, whines and complains whenever a new pack is announced and y’all also accuse simmers or the sims team of stealing someone’s idea. I must ask, what happened to this community??? And it’s actually kind of sad when you think about it.

And I know I’m blowing this out of portion but this needs to be said.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on it?
Post edited by lovelyskysx on

Comments

• KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited May 2020
    The simming community has been toxic for years. "Toxic" is the internet in a nutshell.

Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Tumblr... and fandoms in general are notorious for being awful. Heck, I remember when someone claimed stating I look homeless and like I have no money "needed to be said" (I despise that phrase, for the record).

Why would the Sims community be any different?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Becoming toxic? It's literally always been like this 😂 if anything it became much much better over the years. Honestly when I get annoyed with this I actually do take a break from the sims community because sometimes I'm not in the mood for it but really it's nothing new. And whenever a lot of people don't like something, it's just a tat more noticeable than other times.
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    I can agree somewhat to this, been a member since the sims 2 days and that old webpage they used to have. Back then it was calmer and friendlier although of course it sometimes were discussions that got heated but not like it is now whenever someone expresses their dislike for something they get attacked or the opposite. People just needs to be reminded what respect is and learn how to handle a conversation where someone disagrees. Difference of opinion should take us all forward, NOT backwards!
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I don't really think it's much worse these days. You will always get differences of opinion, complaints and the occasional bit of nastiness. But, in general, I think the simming community is still as helpful and friendly as it has always been.

You can generally tell from the get-go which threads are going to end up being toxic so, if that kind of thing upsets you, you can just stay away from it. Even thread titles are a big give away for what is going to happen inside it.

If you are looking at a thread called 'what happened in your game today' or 'give me tips for challenges' or something like that then you can bet it's going to be friendly. But if you enter something called 'sims 3 vs sims 4' or 'what do you think of such-and-such a pack?' then you are probably headed for trouble.
    Yes but back then we discussed packs and people had varied opinions and many dislikes some of the packs but there were never any toxic behaviour. We should be able to Express our dislikes and likes without that.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    It's always worse when a new pack comes out and people get upset if it's not the pack they wanted. It does seem worse than it used to though.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think that compared to other certain franchises/fandoms, we're not that toxic as you'd like to believe. On twitter and reddit there's a lot of little kids and spoiled teens so you know what's going to happen, but hey, it's their target audience I suppose, they have to know how to deal with it. The Sims 4 itself doesn't help, cutting corners in a lot of past packs and poorly executed content has put a lot of simmers on edge, and a lot of people are seeing the latest EP announcement as a slap in the face. But the trailer didn't help.

But honestly, what's new? It wouldn't be a new announcement without some drama. The sims community is very dramatic overall which is also to be expected by the audience that plays it ahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    It's always worse when a new pack comes out and people get upset if it's not the pack they wanted. It does seem worse than it used to though.
    which is very bad for us in the end because if people continue to send threats and insults they might ignore the forums and disable comments on their social media cause that happens a lot nowadays. We need to encourage constructive criticism, seems like that is rare now and that is frustrating.

• lovelyskysxlovelyskysx Posts: 93 Member
    Maybe you should take break from the forums.
    I was not talking about the forums (I should’ve made it clear.) but I’m gonna try to take a break from the community in general.

sikasika18 wrote: »
    which is very bad for us in the end because if people continue to send threats and insults they might ignore the forums and disable comments on their social media cause that happens a lot nowadays. We need to encourage constructive criticism, seems like that is rare now and that is frustrating.

No one on the forums is actively threatening the devs....it's way more controlled here than on twitter. And they will never abandon twitter because it's where they want to market the games.....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • lovelyskysxlovelyskysx Posts: 93 Member
    KayeStar wrote: »
    The simming community has been toxic for years. "Toxic" is the internet in a nutshell.

Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Tumblr... and fandoms in general are notorious for being awful. Heck, I remember when someone claimed stating I look homeless and like I have no money "needed to be said" (I despise that phrase, for the record).

Why would the Sims community be any different?

Jeez. I’m sorry to hear that.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

No one on the forums is actively threatening the devs....it's way more controlled here than on twitter. And they will never abandon twitter because it's where they want to market the games.....

Yes that's true but I meant that if it gets out of hand they could very well disable comments and just focus on posting advertising material without the interactions with the community.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

It may or may not happen, but there's nothing we can do about the behaviour of others to stop it.

A few months back there was a poll someone started about whether people like drama on the board and a surprising amount said they love it and even try to get people riled up. I think the best way to stop it, is to ignore it. Stick with threads about game play and challenges and stuff,it isn't in those ones.

I DO like to state my opinion in the threads, you know, in case EA is reading haha,so they know what I like ;) But I don't like the insults/drama either. WHen it gets really bad I avoid the board for a few days until it settles again
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Am I the only one who thinks the simming community is becoming toxic now? Like, everyone is arguing with each other about maxis match vs alpha, or the new upcoming expansion pack etc, getting offended when another person whitewashes or blackfaces a sim, harassing and bullying the gurus, whines and complains whenever a new pack is announced and y’all also accuse simmers or the sims team of stealing someone’s idea. I must ask, what happened to this community??? And it’s actually kind of sad when you think about it.

And I know I’m blowing this out of portion but this needs to be said. I can’t take it anymore and feel like I need to let it all out.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on it?

It has got worse lately. Maybe it started with a poor base game and now worse because of the stress of the present world sickness. I would make excuses for it on those grounds and possibly a failure to announce a Sims 5 for some people who want to kill off Sims 4 for it.

Yes that's true but I meant that if it gets out of hand they could very well disable comments and just focus on posting advertising material without the interactions with the community.

Yes, definitely, especially on youtube.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

It may or may not happen, but there's nothing we can do about the behaviour of others to stop it.

A few months back there was a poll someone started about whether people like drama on the board and a surprising amount said they love it and even try to get people riled up. I think the best way to stop it, is to ignore it. Stick with threads about game play and challenges and stuff,it isn't in those ones.

I DO like to state my opinion in the threads, you know, in case EA is reading haha,so they know what I like ;) But I don't like the insults/drama either. WHen it gets really bad I avoid the board for a few days until it settles again

I do the same, I just like to fix stuff and help with game related problems since my hobby is to investigate things like that and come up with solution. I cured stutter problems for many and got featured on blogs for it 😁 When the forum turns nasty over stuff I tend to ignore and stay away but I think it is so unfortunate that some can't discuss things in polite manners. Ah well, I'm glad some can and those are the ones I follow and discuss with anyway.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

It’s only more controlled here because they can delete posts, lock threads, and ban people.
    QueenMercy wrote: »

It’s only more controlled here because they can delete posts, lock threads, and ban people.

Duh. That's what I meant with more controlled....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    A lot of people online in general are toxic. It's not just a sims community thing.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Learn to choose what to read and what to react to and remember that in the end none of it really matters ;)
    It's just a forum and the sims is just a game...nothing very important at all.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Also I wanna say to everyone who has a problem with all negative comments..."Welcome to the internet" ...It's not a nice place.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I tell you, my ignore list has grown a LOOOT over the last few days.