Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play the toddler thru teen life stages?

I’ve been finding it kind of hard playing with the younger life stages and find myself always aging them up to young adults immediately. Especially now that I have University installed.
ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Do you play the toddler thru teen life stages? 298 votes

Yes (what makes it fun for you?)
83%
Akl500Pauroraael14CK213Frn0731vancanuckfan86icmnfrshLilZairaGracejulienrob2004winkeljohn78verlainemKita5399GalacticGalIcewolfbandit5alexspoom13alan650111IceyJCabelle1863mollymegan82Pseudonyms 250 votes
No (why not?)
6%
crocobauraKementariwylmite1986g01denswanslamondaLizzychicagospice3Ravager619AquaGamer1212StutumRedShoe7EricasFreePlayMonaveiljoRN1414NorthDakotaGamerCatzillaZemiarChillipajAlayafantcaptainjoshua77 20 votes
Other
9%
bshag4lvbekiSvineprutterDragonAge_300905DaravihalloweenchildZenAlchemistGitaHermitgirlMDianaSimsColton147147coolsim9999999calaprfyddd994Huiiie_07Evie0602InuMiroLoverRavenSpitcitysimmerGguy 28 votes

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Playing through the sim's development helps me, well, develop their character and what their story is going to be. I like to pick their traits based on what sort of autonomous actions they take as they're growing up.

The only real frustration I've ever had with toddlers is feeding them. I know some don't like independent toddlers, but they don't need to be trained on the potty and can develop skills faster on their own than when being taught, so I like it, because then I only need to manage two sims for those things toddlers can't do on their own (get food from the fridge and bathe) and everything else I can have my toddler take care of themselves.

Children is where the personality really starts to develop, and where I usually lay the groundwork for their story going forward - are they a techie, are they an artist, are they social, what do they want to be when they grow up, what's their Fright Fest costume, do they want to go to Geek Con in the summer? I use childhood to answer many of these questions and once they get through the childhood skills, start them working on the skills that will (usually) form the core of their story.

Teens - well, teens are more or less young adults with "school" as their job. For some, this is a valid complaint. For me, this is when I start telling their story. I've had teenagers take on the Mystery of Strangerville, spend their summers exploring the ruins of Selvadorada, befriending the hermit of Granite falls, begin their magical training, etc.

So the fun, for me, is in the story, and playing through the child stages helps give me a good foundation for that story.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    No (why not?)
    I usually play eternally young adults as there is more freedom in playing them. Whenever I played sims with children I got annoyed by the constant requirement to do homework and there was never enough time. I have the same issue with university.
  • Options
    AssimuloAssimulo Posts: 1,322 Member
    It's definitely a fun part of the game to me, especially due to the expansions that add to those life stages. Parenthood is a good pack for them; so is Seasons. It's like a challenge to get them raised properly, and sometimes it's fun to mess with their heads. Trying to raise multiples at once can be a real challenge. It turns into kind of an art form to get a sort of hi-score on their traits and kid-skills.
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    While I play YA/Adult the most (because you need them to make the young'uns and the young'uns eventually become them AND Occults are my favorite Sims to play), I have the most fun with Toddlers and Children in this iteration as Normal Sims.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Back when I played frequently, I pretty much only played with those life stages. I find more interest in those groups than the adults. But after I'd had the game for a few months, I realized that I'd done everything there is to do with them and they are severally lacking content. I have no plans to play again until we get more for toddlers-teens and especially babies. I have no desire to play the adults for long periods of time.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I play legacies, so i always have one baby to young adult, at least. As im a generational player, my fun is in watching and helping my families evolve, my babies grow up and live their lifes. I live my sims life's from baby to elder, if there are no accidents before.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I do play through everything and I have fun with it.Especially Toddlers,
    I find it really fun taking care of them. Other stages are much less appealing, but I don't skip anything.
    Another reason is me carefully observing sim' want and needs to decide their future.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited March 2020
    Yes almost always
    Once the kids age up to teen I usually stop and play diff tots and kids but some families I keep liitle for real life years before letting them age up haha.

I'm the opposite
    I found the kids and tots a lot more fun and interesting than teens and young adults so all my families have as many kids as possible haha. I tried university a couple times but find the pack boring.

My families mostly live in Sulani and the kids love playing in the water and they all join clubs for their interests.. Homework clubs, outdoor clubs, pink princess clubs, voidcritter clubs etc etc
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited March 2020
    The trick is to never have more than one baby and one toddler at once and to get rid of the toddler high chair
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I almost have to. I have an overwhelming need to get to know my sims and if I just age them up to YA I don't know whether I like that sim or not! So I play them through toddler, child, teen, and if I still like them after the temper tantrums, phases, and general tom foolery of youth, I figure I like them enough to let them stay. I don't have to kick them out and start again!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    AshenAshen Posts: 34 Member
    I do play through my sims' toddler-teen life stages because it's fun with the packs for them like parenthood, toddler stuff, kids' room stuff, etc.. Plus I get to know them and work on their skills for the different stages.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    No (why not?)
    To give some backstory....I just started a new Legacy with the Lombardi’s. The dad (Giovanni) is a feared business man, the mom (Aldina) was a famous actress, their daughter (Susana) wants to follow in her mother’s footsteps, and the son (Emiliano) is going to be the heir to the dads business. Susana has a bad relationship with her dad because he doesn’t care about her as much as Emiliano (standard wants a boy to leave behind the legacy situation). Emiliano also doesn’t have a good relationship with Aldina because she has postpartum depression due to Giovanni never letting her spend time with her son. The Legacy will be continuing with Susana (because I said so, so :P Giovanni). Playing has been a bit boring with the homework and skill working and what not 🙃
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The trick with homework is that once you get the kid to A, they don't need to do it all the time. You can skip a few days to work on something else. Just keep an eye on their performance meter and have them do homework when it starts to slide too far down.
  • Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    i like family play, specifically generation play. i just love making sims, cultivating their relationship, giving them kids, and watching those kids grow up. then the cycle starts over, and i dunno there's just something satisfying about watching the family tree grow and seeing how far i can get. for me, the toddler through to teen stages are a vital part that i don't want to skip. it can be tedious sometimes, but overall worth it.
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Other
    Since I play on long lifespan the infant, toddler, child and teen stages are impossibly long. I play the different stages long enough to get their boost up on the next stage, then age them up. For me, 26 days for a child is plenty long enough. :#
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I don't really play from the toddlers point of view, but more have the adults manage them mostly. But I like playing kids and teens. I'm a screenshot/storyteller player, so I can give them friends, a school, hopes and dreams, hobbies, relationships with other kids and grandparents, etc. I can decorate their room according to their personality. The sims start "coming alive" at the kid stage, at least for me.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I like to watch the family grow, sometimes I do change the age length and still I wait for birthdays and play with everyone how I see fit it's for me with a story not just a goal.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Yes, I play them together with the other members of their household.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Other
    I play children most out of these stages, I do have aging off though so they are all "eternally young", I find children the best stage of the three, they can look after themself (unlike toddlers), have some activities exclusive to them and don't already look like adults (like the teens do).
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I play them to make sure they get at least one extra trait from childhood and I like them to have to skill boost trait from the toddler skills. They won't get those things by being just aged up immediately unless you cheat them in. ;) Teens can get a head start on a lot of adult skills. I'd much rather play with a YA (in the end) that I've invested this time and the skills in and I feel like they have more "personality" than a straight out of CAS sim because I know their life story. I saw it.

Playing them through and growing them up, makes me feel a lot more invested and attached to that sim. I actually care what happens to them more than a sim I've just created in CAS or just aged up immediately.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I definitely like playing families that include younger sims. I enjoy watching them grow up, find out what they look like, get traits that can only be earned through gameplay like the toddler reward traits or character value traits. I do shorten the teen lifestage occasionally but never completely skip it.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I'm a family player so it kind of comes with the playstyle. I love watching my Sims grow from a baby. It helps me stay interested in their lives. Just recently the last living sim of my second generation died of old age. I was so attached to her (and her sisters) that I did get a bit emotional when each of them passed. I didn't cry but I had to quit for the day. It's hard to let them go but definitely worth playing from birth to death.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I like playing sims of all ages. Recently I've been playing older sims with long lifespan, but setting it normal when there are babies or toddlers in the house (long gives toddlers too much time to work on their skills). Generally I like the challenge that toddlers bring to the family. Kids and teens already have lots they can do. Mainly I just want my sims to experience the full life cycle. I want to have screenshots of every stage too, things that happened to them and that can be remembered.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i mean there's still not enough to do with them but i still find their lifestages worthwhile to play
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I enjoy sims of all ages. It keeps the game more fun for me to have a mixture of them all. Toddlers are one of my favourite life stages. Usually I get bored when only playing young adults/adults. It's like if they have no kids or family progression then what's the point?