Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does everybody hate the idea of multiplayer in TS5?

Comments

• Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    I would be too much like Fallout 76
  • Options
    Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    I don't think EA have said what they intend to do to make it multiplayer?

I'd hear their idea out of course, but to a large extent what makes the sims fun for me doesn't make sense - or even work - in a multiplayer situation. Mods for example are a big part of how I play. Customising the game with cc objects/clothes and using script mods to make it behave how I want. Multiplayer would limit or rule out a lot of these options.

We're not completely isolated in our current game play though - I love the gallery.
  • Options
    BoyfriendBoyfriend Posts: 19 Member
    People jump to a lot of conclusions. Nobody said it would be forced multiplayer. Nobody said it would be micro tansaction based. This negative attitude and mob mentality killed Olympus without anyone getting to see what it could be. But i think it would be awesome if i could invite people on my friendlist to my lots and vise versa. This community is like that though. Literally no other game community is this accusatory and demanding
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited March 2020
    aiex wrote: »
    I'm confused.. everybody seems to be turned off by the potential of TS5 being multiplayer, and I'm not really sure why. Think of how fun it would be to visit your friends towns/worlds, interact with their sims, and go on dates/adventures/etc.

For those that only play singleplayer, then EA should introduce the multiplayer style in a way that won't impact the individuals who prefer to play on their own. EA should look at games like Minecraft, Animal Crossing, and Stardew Valley. All of these games allow you to get the full experience in singleplayer, but also allow for multiplayer experiences as well. How awesome would it be if TS5 was like this?

Personally? I've no faith in their ability to create a fun, fleshed out experience in single and multiplayer. They can't even do it for this game and many games have at least one experience suffer. Between EA's track record and all of the numerous criticisms of TS4 with the Sims series noticable dip in quality and content with every passing game... multiplayer is an awful idea.
  • Options
    Sims4DisneyStuffSims4DisneyStuff Posts: 143 Member
    Depends on the precise definition of "multiplayer". I don't random people walking around my town that are other players. That needs to be saved for maybe an app-based game instead?
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Because it's not what I want from this game. If I wanted to interact with other people in a simulation game, I'd play the games that already do that.

I cannot express how much I enjoy the complete and utter control I have in the Sims. That's the entire point. It's entire inspiration. I don't want other people's Sims in my game, I don't want their drama, I don't want sketchy weirdos (bad past multiplayer game experiences). I want to play by myself. I want it to be my creation. Sometimes I want to play with friends--huddled around a single laptop having great fun that way. Under 0 circumstances do I want to have my game open to every Bob, Tom, and Harry who plays the Sims. I will stop playing entirely. Wouldn't buy it, not even to try.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2020
    Boyfriend wrote: »
    People jump to a lot of conclusions. Nobody said it would be forced multiplayer. Nobody said it would be micro tansaction based. This negative attitude and mob mentality killed Olympus without anyone getting to see what it could be. But i think it would be awesome if i could invite people on my friendlist to my lots and vise versa. This community is like that though. Literally no other game community is this accusatory and demanding

they had proper play testing before sims 4 was released. there was a quote in a gaming magazine about a year ago, cant remember the name of the magazine, but they interviewed a few sim producers.

consensus was: they liked the multiplayer capability but they disliked the fact that there was no single player experience that a traditional sims title has.

smart move on Maxis's part to get rid of it. it was not negative attitude and mob mentality that killed it, it was just the usual play testing consensus and seeing what happened to simcity 2013 unfold at the same time.
  • Options
    CladriahCladriah Posts: 69 Member
    It would lead to always online problem, which is if you have internet issues. Your game is worthless.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

I hope it is online so I can say goodbye forever. This is the last EA game I am playing and have said goodbye to the others because of their failure to execute. It is good you still have faith in it but I have been gaming with this company long enough to know how it works. It is not like we are pulling stuff out of thin air. Look at Anthem, look at SimsOnline from back in the day, look at what happened to SimsCity and all the server issues, all the drama with the StarWars battlefront lootboxes....it is clear they have not learned any lessons. They have a track record so why wouldn't we come up with conclusions based on what we have seen already. Belgium has banned lootboxes and EA was front and center on that scandal sooooooo yeah. The concerns seem pretty logical to me.

I think people call a spade a spade in the gaming world. If the game is good they praise, if it is crap they let them know. Fallout 76(Bethesda) is sitting at a nice 2.7 User score and I have heard that people are very upset with that game and Bethesda in general. EA can't even learn a lesson from Bethesda's bring a single player game online fiasco. The Sims is a spec in the gaming world and people speak up when the quality is not there. I personally think simmers let these developers put out crap and we keep buying it. That doesn't happen with other games LOL. Anyway Good luck and be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member

In recent years, EA has turned nearly every game (and series) under its umbrella into a multiplayer, always online “live service” (usually with a half hearted single player campaign) and stuffed them to the gills with microtransactions to make BILLIONS of dollars each quarter. It is not a far jump to assume that if they make the next Sims game multiplayer, we’d end up with the same result.

Furthermore, Olympus was canned because of the poor reception of SimCity 2013. EA themselves killed it. There were no negative attitudes, nor was there a mob. That’s false.

“No other game community is this accusatory and demanding.”? Not sure how accusatory applies here, seeing as this is the speculation and rumor section. And demanding? Have you met FIFA fans? Call of Duty fans? CSGO fans? Star Wars Battlefront fans? That’s where it really gets rough (of course not everyone). Everyone in this thread is voicing their opinions in a civil manner. I’d say it’s a walk in the park compared to what I’ve seen in forums for other games.
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    edited March 2020
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    “No other game community is this accusatory and demanding.”? Not sure how accusatory applies here, seeing as this is the speculation and rumor section. And demanding? Have you met FIFA fans? Call of Duty fans? CSGO fans? Star Wars Battlefront fans? That’s where it really gets rough (of course not everyone). Everyone in this thread is voicing their opinions in a civil manner. I’d say it’s a walk in the park compared to what I’ve seen in forums for other games.

This is what I was thinking. Call of Duty players are known for SWATing and r*pe/death threats to players and developers. We're opinionated cause we're dedicated but the worst thing I've seen is some snark.

That being said, I don't have to "wait and hear them out" to know multiplayer is a bad idea and something the vast majority of Simmers do not want for a variety of reasons.
  • Options
    mimilu04mimilu04 Posts: 83 Member
    This is only somewhat related but I stumbled upon this article this morning about how the plan for PS5 is to focus on single-player story driven games : https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/ps5-focus-is-on-strong-narrative-driven-single-player-games-says-playstation-worldwide-studios-boss/?__twitter_impression=true

Considering how cross-platform compatibility was a priority lately with TS4, that makes me wonder if/how the release of next gens consoles will affect the next Sims game development.
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    Because the game is complicated enough as it is, with the updates and all. Even if they changed content add-ons to be micro-transactions (which would be a nightmare), it would be complicated to play with someone who doesn't have the content you bought... etc. And that's just for objects. What if you had to purchase worlds or access to a lot where there's an event. There would be little to no people there because not everyone bought it. That's how I imagine it in 'the sims' at least. I even think that if they added the option to build with a friend or collaborate, it would get old after a while and you'd just want to play alone afterward.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    mimilu04 wrote: »
    This is only somewhat related but I stumbled upon this article this morning about how the plan for PS5 is to focus on single-player story driven games : https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/ps5-focus-is-on-strong-narrative-driven-single-player-games-says-playstation-worldwide-studios-boss/?__twitter_impression=true

Considering how cross-platform compatibility was a priority lately with TS4, that makes me wonder if/how the release of next gens consoles will affect the next Sims game development.

Sony is just being smart. Focusing on strong narrative driven single player game is how Bioware became what it WAS and it is how CD Project Red will pick up and carry the torch. EA took Bioware's strong narrative driven single player games and made them a mess by wasting development time on multiplayer...Mass Effect Andromeda anyone? Anthem started multiplayer and then they tried to add a strong narrative LOL well we see how that went. Even Mass Effect 3 had a lot of backlash over the ending that could have been deeper had they not wasted time on multiplayer. You could not even get the best ending if you did not participate in the multiplayer which was absurd.

Now they will make Sims a mess by putting it online...
  • Options
    KaitlinMarieKaitlinMarie Posts: 58 Member
    I personally would not play a multiplayer Sims 5 for many reasons. Multiplayer/online games in general tend to have a lot of kinks. Like people have said before Sims is a complex game. There are tons of elements and getting everything translated to multiplayer compatibility would just not be worth it, especially considering how small the community FOR multiplayer seems to be. I enjoy being in complete control of my own stories. I have no interest in having a Sim "relationship" with someone that could literally be anyone, even a child. Plus the online community in multiplayer games can get hostile and take all the fun out of it. I'd hate to see this game turn toxic like other games that I've played that have online/multiplayer mode.
    Gallery name: Kaitlinxo143
  • Options
    MalakizurrMalakizurr Posts: 4 New Member
    Idc about what any of you have to say. Where do I go to find what the developers think they should do?
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited March 2020
    Malakizurr wrote: »
    Idc about what any of you have to say. Where do I go to find what the developers think they should do?

I haven't seen anything from actual developers, but they develop what they're told to develop, not what they want. Here's something from the CEO http:/https://techradar.com/news/the-sims-for-a-new-generation-could-have-multiplayer
    There's a few other articles reporting on the same interview.

But, I have to say, players opinions are actually more important than his. Players pay for the game and keep the franchise going. If the numbers for multiplayer are high enough, then they can run with that. But if they aren't, the game will sink and die like SimCity 2013.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    I'm for an online feature like the gallery where simmers can share their creations. Like what we already have but taking it even further. Instead of ugly random townies the game could use maxis curated Sims that other players made; outfits; furniture; and so on.

However I do NOT want to play my game online. I want to tell my story without interruptions. I don't want to deal with trolls and griefers. I don't want to depend on other players to progress in the game. I don't want my game to turn into a contest of popularity.

I use the game as a little escape where I'm in control telling my own little story. I don't want to deal with frustration in my game. We already have enough bugs lol That's all.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    I'm for an online feature like the gallery where simmers can share their creations. Like what we already have but taking it even further. Instead of ugly random townies the game could use maxis curated Sims that other players made; outfits; furniture; and so on.

I'd like something like this too but that's the most I'd want. I'm sure the other sims created by users would be so much better than the Maxis ones. :D
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Pure and simple, I don't want other people in my game. I don't want to have to deal with other people to play. I want it to be MY game.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I'd like something like this too but that's the most I'd want. I'm sure the other sims created by users would be so much better than the Maxis ones. :D

No doubt!
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    ElliDiLoElliDiLo Posts: 25 Member
    I'm an old time Simmer and probably in the minority but I have *always* wanted a multiplayer feature for The Sims. Not the Online, "anyone can come and mess up my game" type of deal, but being able to play with your friends would really be awesome.

Now, I think there are other approaches future Sims games could take outside of multiplayer but I wouldn't mind it - if done properly. And by properly I mean more like Animal Crossing and Minecraft vs The Sims Online and WoW.
    3VzZSg1.jpg
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited March 2020
    ElliDiLo wrote: »
    I'm an old time Simmer and probably in the minority but I have *always* wanted a multiplayer feature for The Sims. Not the Online, "anyone can come and mess up my game" type of deal, but being able to play with your friends would really be awesome.

Now, I think there are other approaches future Sims games could take outside of multiplayer but I wouldn't mind it - if done properly. And by properly I mean more like Animal Crossing and Minecraft vs The Sims Online and WoW.

While I see what you mean, Minecraft is a terrible example. Until the console ports came out, you needed to use a modified version of the server software and a ton of plugins if you didn't want people coming along and destroying or stealing your players hard earned stuff. Even making a server private was no guarantee of that not happening without all that.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    no clue i enjoyed TSO played all the years it was around