Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does everybody hate the idea of multiplayer in TS5?

123457...Next

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    randy2355 wrote: »
    For me, multiplayer online is a "no go." When Sim City 2013 went online, it was awful for me. Lots of people complained about the inefficient servers and things like that. Not for me, the servers worked just fine, because, the vast majority of people live on the other side of the planet! The vast majority of people were asleep when I was awake, the vast majority of people were awake when I was asleep. Sim city 2013, it should have been called sim ghost town where I live. If the sims 5 went online, I would not buy it. My time zone has less than 3 million people in the winter. we lose 700,000 people in our time zone just because of "daylight savings time," in the summer, it is a 5 hour flight at nearly the speed of sound to get to the closest significant population center...three time zones away in the summer...two time zones away in the winter! Where I live it is tough to make a phone call to other places, let alone play multiplayer online games

Your post sounds like a tricky math problem. :lol:
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    randy2355 wrote: »
    For me, multiplayer online is a "no go." When Sim City 2013 went online, it was awful for me. Lots of people complained about the inefficient servers and things like that. Not for me, the servers worked just fine, because, the vast majority of people live on the other side of the planet! The vast majority of people were asleep when I was awake, the vast majority of people were awake when I was asleep. Sim city 2013, it should have been called sim ghost town where I live. If the sims 5 went online, I would not buy it. My time zone has less than 3 million people in the winter. we lose 700,000 people in our time zone just because of "daylight savings time," in the summer, it is a 5 hour flight at nearly the speed of sound to get to the closest significant population center...three time zones away in the summer...two time zones away in the winter! Where I live it is tough to make a phone call to other places, let alone play multiplayer online games

Your post sounds like a tricky math problem. :lol:
    more like a tricky geography problem...however, geography and math do kinda hold hands.

• TrimothTrimoth Posts: 418 Member
    because my Sims are my vision and ideal of the world I have ZERO interest in having someone else play and mess with that vision
    tumblr_np609wKvSy1ssn1m9o2_540.jpg

Origin id: trimoth

• FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    Someone brought up Rockstar Games and if you look at atmosphere of GTA Online today, I don’t know how many lobbies I’ve seen out there where it’s just sheer anarchy. Granted Rockstar enabled all of this by providing bountiful overpowered armaments for people to annihilate each other. It’s a long running notion now that if you want to grind peacefully without interference from griefers, a self-invoked solo lobby is the way to go. Which needless to say goes against the very purpose of having an online mode.

That environment helped me appreciate rich single player experiences further substantiating people using Sims for solo escapism. GTA Online thrives on this schism between griefers and grinders, I’m under the impression that if an environment akin to that happened in Sims, players wouldn’t have the patience for that.
  • DrbigtDrbigt Posts: 222 Member
    Sims 3 had online elements that brought nothing and were entirely superfluous and the few careers balanced around those elements are insanely grindy now that no one plays that game any more and at least, not those careers.

I really don't want that to happen with Sims 5.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Because I play sims to temporarily get away from the real world/people, not interact with them.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Tay-way654Tay-way654 Posts: 50 Member
    Over aged players playing with underaged players. There is “woohooing” in this game. And I would not want to/nor do I feel comfortable acting/playing with underaged people in that aspect.
  • KorglyKorgly Posts: 187 Member
    edited October 2020
    I recall playing the sims online years ago for only 30 min and it was a disaster! people ruined it! the economy was broken.. my sims life felt useless because every venue in the game was made exclusive by abusive tyrants that wanted real life cash just to be able to enter a broken establishment of sims just standing around afk.. it was impossible to accomplish anything! I play the sims to escape reality and feel welcomed socially and live a life I can't live in the real world not to live a life of a suicidal sim from a reminder of how cruel people can be and how contempt people can make you feel.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    Because I don't trust my fellow man to do anything that isn't "ruin everything."
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    FRENE7IC wrote: »
    That environment helped me appreciate rich single player experiences further substantiating people using Sims for solo escapism. GTA Online thrives on this schism between griefers and grinders, I’m under the impression that if an environment akin to that happened in Sims, players wouldn’t have the patience for that.

Man, I'm still so salty about GTA. I have been a die hard Rockstar Games/GTA fan since the original on Gameboy Color. I haven't touched GTA Online in almost 2 years because of how ridiculous it's become. It's the first time I've had this long of a break from a GTA title. I had fun with the online at first just messing around with randoms but when it started to become toxic I started kicking solo sessions just to try and make money. It wasn't worth it anymore for me. I'll play GTA 6 but if the online will be anything like the current one I won't be playing it, and as a long time fan it makes me somewhat sad.

Also IMO the whole idea behind a sims game being online feels like they want to get into MMORP/building simulator territory. The only thing I could see is players building lots together and role playing. I just hope whatever it is if they are doing it online - there is an option to play solo. Otherwise I wouldn't even buy it. Which again, as a long time fan of a franchise it would make me sad.
    With regards to GTA Online as a discussion about online experiences, there are a few critical elements IMO worth pointing out.

Players
    General sentiment and respect for other people. Are people playing the game to make every other participant’s life a living hell in the lobby?

Gameplay mechanics
    The game environment and how conducive it is to player enjoyment (eg: making the game too grindy and in-game purchases too expensive, thereby incentivising spending real money to skip boring stuff and acquire desirable items). Resulting in people playing the game like a second job.

Corporate objectives
    Maybe the proprietors are well intentioned. They want to create a balanced and enjoyable gaming experience, but corporate sees that the revenue they generate from microtransactions will be a huge boon to their bottom line and stock price, so there’s more pressure on the proprietors to change game mechanics to achieve this.

Somehow, GTA Online over time just managed to become an agglomerate of the worst aspects of these three "pillars". Thus, I would say when people think about online games in general, not just The Sims, they have to consider if all these things would align to create a rewarding experience, especially one that lasts years at a time.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Mass Effect: tried playing with otters, never got into it and just treated it like my usual single player

Dragon Age: tried it once. Still play single player now and then

SWTOR: played lots of single stuff and after I found a great guild I had lots of fun in MMO-style as well.

If I’m really into creating stories it isn’t easy to put other people into it. The Sims hits a different spot for me when it comes to playing. In The Sims I create Sims or builds. Develop a save, search for the CC that makes me happy. I spent a ton of time in my MMO but I had a different kind of fun there. Logging on, seeing which guildies are out and about. I love to explore different fantasy worlds. But I never had to wrangle other people into my story. I wonder if I still would get the relaxed happy thing by trying to explore my story with complete strangers. Do I have search for a group to role play with first?

Part of why I don’t play MMO’s is that it is completely random when I will have time to play. How much energy I have to invest and if I want to just create of do gameplay. MMO-time was great for early 20-ies me and my husband. We could do whatever we wanted. Now we have a kid, job, aging relatives and between all that I just cannot see myself participating in a MMO-setting in a way that is fun. Either I will feel guilty for not being online with the people I am story-playing with or I will have to get back into my personal story and hope that the strangers around mesh with me.

Or I will just play Sims 4 and do the thing that is currently working. Maybe the next game won’t be for me, who knows. That would be a huge downer but not the end of the world. I will face that hurdle when we get there. At least I have a good pile of games that I do like at home.
    > @eternalrainn said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Man, I'm still so salty about GTA. I have been a die hard Rockstar Games/GTA fan since the original on Gameboy Color. I haven't touched GTA Online in almost 2 years because of how ridiculous it's become. It's the first time I've had this long of a break from a GTA title. I had fun with the online at first just messing around with randoms but when it started to become toxic I started kicking solo sessions just to try and make money. It wasn't worth it anymore for me. I'll play GTA 6 but if the online will be anything like the current one I won't be playing it, and as a long time fan it makes me somewhat sad.

There is also a huge financial disparity between established players who’ve been playing for a long time and new players (without deep pockets). New players feel the pressure of catching up to everyone else. A point where the discussion can go off into a tangent about haves and have-nots.

It’s enough that people have to deal with that in real life, but in a game too? That’s truly unfortunate.

The Sims so far has been wonderful because there is no pseudo online hierarchy. No urgency to catch up to anybody or do whatever other people are doing. You do you, in your race, at your pace.
    I think this may be the answer to the viability of single player gameplay in The Sims franchise now and into the future:

https://gamerant.com/cyberpunk-2077-steam-concurrent-players/
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited December 2020
    Can you imagine the microtransactions? EA would have a field day. Not to mention the p-philes lurking or extremely rude or innapropriate people.stay single player please
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think I have posted in a similar thread already, but I will post here too.

I rarely hate, but I would not buy a multiplayer game, for several reasons:

I see no reason why the things I enjoy doing in game, like building lots and societies, would be executed better in a multiplayer mode.

Considering the extreme negativity exhibited by every forum focused on sims (Carl's and Pam's excluded); I don’t see how the attitude would be any different in multiplayer mode.

I am an adult, but this game is directed to children. I do not wish to engage with children in such a way. I also agree with the concern for their well-being; and gathering from how the EA forums are managed I do not expect it to be well handled. I recently read about the Game Changer situation, and am not surprised that this is what can happen from such a system, nor about how it was handled by EA.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited December 2020
    I don't think an online version of Sims 5 would be "inclusive" Like now it would get elite groups who get all the "Faves" and only talk amongst one another and new players wouldn't get a look in.

Mods, cc and moo would probably be rejected as virus/trojan possibles or could create havoc like that certain doll in one of the iterations.

Flame wars starting in the Official Forums against certain players.......

It would also have to go 18 plus to protect EA/Maxis from anybody grooming the under 18s and under 18s are the group this game appeals to most at the start.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited December 2020
    Because I hate people and don't like to share my toys?
    I'm sure you're all great people, but I don't want you anywhere near my game, it's for me and me only.
  • etoetoetoeto Posts: 4 New Member
    If Sims 5 has ANY semblance of multiplayer I will definitely not be buying it. All the resources and effort will go into developing the multiplayer and people who just want to play by themselves will get a stripped, watered down experience in the best case scenario. Also I really don't see the need to include friends of strangers in my Sims game? Even if you take Animal Crossing as an example, there's really nothing you can do for fun together when someone visits your island.
  • aiexaiex Posts: 103 Member
    By multiplayer, I mean having the ability to play with your friends. I don’t think having online servers open to all players is a good idea. It simply wouldn’t work as not everybody would follow the rules. Ideally, you’d have an invite code that you could simply send to your friend, thus allowing them to join your world—this sounds like the easiest way. Oh, and this argument of “older people playing with younger people”/“romance would need to be removed from the game” is absurd.
  • aiexaiex Posts: 103 Member
    To throw my hat in, there already exists a version of the sims as an online multi-player. It's called Second Life. Not to sound glib but try playing that and then see why we don't want it.

Second Life has public servers. Would this work for The Sims? Absolutely not. Would having your own private server where you could send an invite code to your friends so they’re able to join you work? Yup! I should have mentioned in my original post that I don’t think that The Sims should have public servers. This is basically the same argument that everybody makes over, and over again; that it wouldn’t work because people wouldn’t follow the rules. Look at games like Minecraft, and Stardew Valley. These games both allow for multiplayer and they’re thriving. Why? Because they give players the option of who they actually want to play with. I think that this would work for The Sims.