Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does everybody hate the idea of multiplayer in TS5?

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    I’ve gone on record before as being in favor of of well-implemented multiplayer that is small and with people you choose rather than MMO.

But as to why people are opposed? As far as I can tell it’s

1. They don’t trust EA to actually deliver this kind of functional multiplayer
    2. They don’t actually know what this kind of multiplayer is. Instead mistaking all multiplayer for MMOs. Or other less savory or watered down experiences.
    3. They don’t think their preference of deep and complex single-player experience can be delivered while allowing for multiplayer functionality.

Of those, imo, 1 is the only one that really makes sense. 2 displays a lack of imagination, and 3 just isn’t true. EA has plenty of money and resources. They could absolutely deliver a full deep impressive singleplayer that allowed multiplayer as a tertiary option if they wanted to. Not trusting them to actually do so is valid. But there’s nothing wrong with the idea conceptually.

Yes, EA has plenty of money and resources. They're just not willing to use them. The proof is in the packs. With the best predictor of future behavior being past behavior, it's most likely that they will not develop the impressive game you've outlined here.

As for the original question, I have a lot of the same reasons that other people have for not wanting to do multiplayer. Plus people seem to get upset enough about what other people have in their games, and they can't even see what other people do. Imagine how upset people will get when they can actually see what you're doing.

lol, yes, I was told recently by someone they didn't think I kept up with trends and or fashion because they judged my Sims by the clothes I had put on them and or their skin tones, though they knew I was playing a themed world, and story in my head of a particular story and place. I can only imagine the judgement passed on me in a mutiplayer.
    It was in response to this comment not your story.
    "My question is this, which Native American Nation does EA/Maxis plan to speak with to make sure Indian (actual nations) are represented and not stereotyped with feathers in their hair etc."

It was because of real people being stereotyped based on their cultures, religions, skin colors and genders by you which was very offensive to my family and you didn't care and kept on going. You said Sims should be a "melting pot of trends and fashion" only and people should dress that way too. Then I asked if you had any experience knowing about any modern fashion yourself and you admitted you didn't.

There is a huge difference between Native Americans and Indians from India.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    aiex wrote: »
    I'm confused.. everybody seems to be turned off by the potential of TS5 being multiplayer, and I'm not really sure why. Think of how fun it would be to visit your friends towns/worlds, interact with their sims, and go on dates/adventures/etc.

For those that only play singleplayer, then EA should introduce the multiplayer style in a way that won't impact the individuals who prefer to play on their own. EA should look at games like Minecraft, Animal Crossing, and Stardew Valley. All of these games allow you to get the full experience in singleplayer, but also allow for multiplayer experiences as well. How awesome would it be if TS5 was like this?

"Think of how fun it would be to visit your friends towns/worlds, interact with their sims, and go on dates/adventures/etc."

Friends? LOL. I don't have simmer friends, so that's dead in the water, for me.

The ONLY thing I'd be interested in is an optional choice to visit one online city for day trips (where other Sims are controlled and NOT random - that'd be interesting) then go back to MY game. That's it.

Although, I'd be annoyed to see large heads/cartoony/unrealistic sims, etc. That's a huge "turn off" for me. I'd probably find sims that are about as annoying as the eyeball ring because I'm picky and easily annoyed. I'd want to be able to set preferences and play with like-minded simmers, but still just visit a communal city and not have this mess up my towns. That's tough, and I wouldn't want this city to be a ghost town either.

AND EA would have to do it well and not sacrifice the main game.

MAYBE I'd have some interest in a side online/multiplayer game (not The Sims #) but probably not for long. I also don't want to pay monthly unless it's blow-me-away AMAZING, which I'm sure I won't find it to be. I usually don't want to sink a lot of money into things.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited August 2020
    gnelso1239 wrote: »
    Apparently the OP has never played in a GTAV public lobby.

And apparently many people in this thread have never played Minecraft, Stardew Valley, or Animal Crossing with a close friend.

I have, and I can say I would hate if Sims were reduced to Animal Crossing level functionality to play co-op. AC is the most complex of the three you listed, and it’s still a much simpler game than The Sims EVER has been. Think about that for a minute. AC is built around having a daily routine, once you’ve done that there is not much to do to keep yourself occupied in game. The “play with a friend” aspect doesn’t give you anything else to do either, and at most I see people using it for imaginative role playing. That’s NOT how I play Sims, and is in fact my biggest problem with Sims 4. SV and Minecraft come nowhere close to being simulation games so I’m not sure what their multiplayer experiences have in common with The Sims or what a multiplayer Sims game. To be honest they aren’t comparable game’s at all.

First: it sounds like maybe you’ve only played the new AC, which makes huge leaps in terms of control and customization, but actually has much shallower gameplay in many other ways compared to old games, and literally all of the games have always had some version of multiplayer while remaining a singleplayer experience.

And what Minecraft has in common is that the multiplayer is small and optional.

I’m going to describe what I have in mind.

First: imagine your ideal Sims game. The sim AI and personality, the build tools, the gameplay, the customization.

Now imagine you’re playing and you click a box in the corner for the settings. You click “open to friends”. It generates an invite code or you invite specific people from a list.

The game looks and works the same. Except now in live mode you can see a diluted plumbob above the head of one of the sims you aren’t actively controlling. When you hover over it, it shows your friend’s name. Sometimes it jumps from sim to sim as your friend switches who they are controlling.

Sometimes the game asks if you’re willing to pause for your friend to go into CAS to make a new sim, or you just keep playing while your friend is in CAS and a new sim pops up in your save.

If they’re allowed to access build mode, sometimes while you are playing you see the the arrows and bulldozer icons of build modes or a little cursor that represents your friend, again with their name over the top.

You talk to each other about what you’re doing while you do it, and play together.

If they control a sim and tell that sim to interact with a sim you are controlling, it works just like it does now if an NPC sim had autonomously interacted with your sim - your sim will autonomously react or you can intervene to cancel the interaction from the queue.

No minors or adults interacting. No strangers. No loot boxes.

Just the sims. It plays exactly the same as when one person is playing the save, except now two people are. The UI doesn’t change, the gameplay doesn’t change, no strangers are ruining your builds. It’s a singleplayer experience, just now the game is responding to interactions/inputs from two source instead of one.

There is NO REASON such functionality should require worse AI or a less complex game.

Now please answer me this question: if your ideal Sims game in every other way came out and had this option

Would you be so opposed to its inclusion that you wouldn’t buy the game?

Not: would you use it? Not: would you want it?

Would you be opposed to it being there as an option for others that you could ignore entirely, presuming it was a good game on other fronts?

DO NOT CHANGE THE TERMS OF THIS QUESTION: ANSWER IT AS PRESENTED.

If your ideal Sims game came out and had optional unintrusive multiplayer as a minor tertiary feature, would you still refuse to buy it?
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020
    gnelso1239 wrote: »
    Apparently the OP has never played in a GTAV public lobby.

And apparently many people in this thread have never played Minecraft, Stardew Valley, or Animal Crossing with a close friend.

I have, and I can say I would hate if Sims were reduced to Animal Crossing level functionality to play co-op. AC is the most complex of the three you listed, and it’s still a much simpler game than The Sims EVER has been. Think about that for a minute. AC is built around having a daily routine, once you’ve done that there is not much to do to keep yourself occupied in game. The “play with a friend” aspect doesn’t give you anything else to do either, and at most I see people using it for imaginative role playing. That’s NOT how I play Sims, and is in fact my biggest problem with Sims 4. SV and Minecraft come nowhere close to being simulation games so I’m not sure what their multiplayer experiences have in common with The Sims or what a multiplayer Sims game. To be honest they aren’t comparable game’s at all.

First: it sounds like maybe you’ve only played the new AC, which makes huge leaps in terms of control and customization, but actually has much shallower gameplay in many other ways compared to old games, and literally all of the games have always had some version of multiplayer while remaining a singleplayer experience.

And what Minecraft has in common is that the multiplayer is small and optional.

I’m going to describe what I have in mind.

First: imagine your ideal Sims game. The sim AI and personality, the build tools, the gameplay, the customization.

Now imagine you’re playing and you click a box in the corner for the settings. You click “open to friends”. It generates an invite code or you invite specific people from a list.

The game looks and works the same. Except now in live mode you can see a diluted plumbob above the head of one of the sims you aren’t actively controlling. When you hover over it, it shows your friend’s name. Sometimes it jumps from sim to sim as your friend switches who they are controlling.

Sometimes the game asks if you’re willing to pause for your friend to go into CAS to make a new sim, or you just keep playing while your friend is in CAS and a new sim pops up in your save.

If they’re allowed to access build mode, sometimes while you are playing you see the the arrows and bulldozer icons of build modes or a little cursor that represents your friend, again with their name over the top.

You talk to each other about what you’re doing while you do it, and play together.

If they control a sim and tell that sim to interact with a sim you are controlling, it works just like it does now if an NPC sim had autonomously interacted with your sim - your sim will autonomously react or you can intervene to cancel the interaction from the queue.

No minors or adults interacting. No strangers. No loot boxes.

Just the sims. It plays exactly the same as when one person is playing the save, except now two people are. The UI doesn’t change, the gameplay doesn’t change, no strangers are ruining your builds. It’s a singleplayer experience, just now the game is responding to interactions/inputs from two source instead of one.

There is NO REASON such functionality should require worse AI or a less complex game.

Now please answer me this question: if your ideal Sims game in every other way came out and had this option

Would you be so opposed to its inclusion that you wouldn’t buy the game?

Not: would you use it? Not: would you want it?

Would you be opposed to it being there as an option for others that you could ignore entirely, presuming it was a good game on other fronts.

DO NOT CHANGE THE TERMS OF THIS QUESTION: ANSWER IT AS PRESENTED.

If YOUR IDEAL Sims game came out and had OPTIONAL unintrusive multiplayer as a MINOR TERTIARY FEATURE, would you still refuse to buy it?
    That is something an indie company is likely to create. This is EA. Their servers stink and been a complaint for many of their games.

How many times their login and servers go down:
    https://downdetector.com/status/ea/

Well guess there will be an indie game like that and it will be here next year. So your wish is granted but not by EA.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=68HjmufFQuM
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    For me, its mostly because they need to fix the bugs in the versions we already have! It makes no sense to keep shelling out money to a broken system.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I don't like online games, but that's a personal preference for me. Unless its someone I know, I have zero trust in other online players. I have massive anxiety when it comes to online games, namely due to trolling, hacking or people just being really nasty or creepy. It would stress me out too much and I wouldn't enjoy the game.

Plus the Sims could turn into an online roleplaying game. Maybe I am being cynical but it could turn into a huge creepfest. World of Warcraft have RP servers where players create adult themes even though the game itself doesn't have adult content. I don't want to experience that, and even more importantly, children and young people definitely should not be exposed to that either. The thought of The Sims potentially turning into that just makes me angry.

Of course it depends on what you mean by 'online'. If its online as in gallery or sim sharing like with TS4, perfect! If its online as in live sim-to-sim interaction with other players, big nope.

Just my opinion :smile:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I’ve gone on record before as being in favor of of well-implemented multiplayer that is small and with people you choose rather than MMO.

But as to why people are opposed? As far as I can tell it’s

1. They don’t trust EA to actually deliver this kind of functional multiplayer
    2. They don’t actually know what this kind of multiplayer is. Instead mistaking all multiplayer for MMOs. Or other less savory or watered down experiences.
    3. They don’t think their preference of deep and complex single-player experience can be delivered while allowing for multiplayer functionality.

Of those, imo, 1 is the only one that really makes sense. 2 displays a lack of imagination, and 3 just isn’t true. EA has plenty of money and resources. They could absolutely deliver a full deep impressive singleplayer that allowed multiplayer as a tertiary option if they wanted to. Not trusting them to actually do so is valid. But there’s nothing wrong with the idea conceptually.

Yes, EA has plenty of money and resources. They're just not willing to use them. The proof is in the packs. With the best predictor of future behavior being past behavior, it's most likely that they will not develop the impressive game you've outlined here.

As for the original question, I have a lot of the same reasons that other people have for not wanting to do multiplayer. Plus people seem to get upset enough about what other people have in their games, and they can't even see what other people do. Imagine how upset people will get when they can actually see what you're doing.

lol, yes, I was told recently by someone they didn't think I kept up with trends and or fashion because they judged my Sims by the clothes I had put on them and or their skin tones, though they knew I was playing a themed world, and story in my head of a particular story and place. I can only imagine the judgement passed on me in a mutiplayer.
    It was in response to this comment not your story.
    "My question is this, which Native American Nation does EA/Maxis plan to speak with to make sure Indian (actual nations) are represented and not stereotyped with feathers in their hair etc."

It was because of real people being stereotyped based on their cultures, religions, skin colors and genders by you which was very offensive to my family and you didn't care and kept on going. You said Sims should be a "melting pot of trends and fashion" only and people should dress that way too. Then I asked if you had any experience knowing about any modern fashion yourself and you admitted you didn't.

There is a huge difference between Native Americans and Indians from India.

Everything you have said here is completely wrong when you are quoted me. Have a nice day.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    I remember S2 PS2 having that feature with the split screen, we did use it a few times but it was only with one other family member. Couldn't go on CAS/Buy mode and play at the some time so we had to wait until the other finished but it was on console. On PC, I played a few MMO and MMORPG games but I gave up a long time ago and no longer play with them because I prefer single player games (I have no interest in Animal Crossing or Minecraft whatsoever). For The Sims on PC, I never used any online/multiplayer features. Never used Simport and it didn't impact my game play. I'll be OK with a completely optional multiplayer which doesn't impact game play for single players like myself in any way (which mean I don't HAVE to use it to unlock build/buy mode objects) or remove features that used to be part of the franchise but not anymore BECAUSE of online features.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Because I hate people.

I just wanna play The Sims in peace and not be forced into social situations every time I try to play a video game.

855.gif
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i think it might be different if we can control if we invite someone in or not..but I have had an experience with online and it is great for the most part ..but there is always folks who are more than a little troubled ..so if by online it is a world were everyone can go then it would not be something i would be interested in....even in the forums here on occasion you get sad comments left by folks that do it for attention/shock value or just because they can...it is nothing anyone needs in your relax time.
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    wickichick wrote: »
    i think it might be different if we can control if we invite someone in or not..but I have had an experience with online and it is great for the most part ..but there is always folks who are more than a little troubled ..so if by online it is a world were everyone can go then it would not be something i would be interested in....even in the forums here on occasion you get sad comments left by folks that do it for attention/shock value or just because they can...it is nothing anyone needs in your relax time.

I think this is what I want as well. I don't want it to be a chat room with random strangers asking for woohoo.

But when I was a teenager I loved online literary roleplay games and I remember wishing the other players and I could have, I don't even know, just new ways to throw characters together and see where the story took us. This could have been a way to do it. I think I see the potential value of it, but yeah, with people of your choosing and some sort of boundaries.
  • Options
    charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    I don't play The Sims to play with other people. I can be very finicky about my game play and would hate to log off after hours creating the "perfect" home and sims to play with just to log on the next day and someone has made changes. Let's not even get into how easy it'd be for predators to take advantage of the situation. I think back to Club Penguin and games similar to it for kids/teens and those games weren't created with a "woohoo" option.
  • Options
    MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Because I hate people.

I just wanna play The Sims in peace and not be forced into social situations every time I try to play a video game.

855.gif

This^

It's my sandbox, my world, and you're not welcome.
    (Universal "you", I'm not directing that at anyone specifically 😊)
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I would not buy it if it was strictly online and the only option was to play with everybody else. A monthly fee is a big no, too, I can't afford it.

I want total control over my world and my sims. I play for fun and for stress relief. Playing my game my way makes me happy. I choose how my world looks, and if I want every house to be a different color, or paint them all pink, I will do it and nobody can judge my choices.

What if I don't like what another person's sim just did to mine? How do I handle that? I don't like the mean interactions and I have been steadily deleting the evil NPC's in my game. I sure can't delete somebody else's character. Yes, I could probably block them, but why should I need to?

Most importantly: I do not want to be forced into a social situation when I am just relaxing and playing my game.
  • Options
    YadaScYadaSc Posts: 3 New Member
    TSO is back and is more fun than back in the day .. it's called FreeSO and it is free to play. beta.freeso.org or Tsomania.net Happy simming.. it will be Halloween soon with a lot of fun stuff to do ! There is FreeSo on discord also to see what is happing in the TSO/FreeSO online world. I'm Costa there :D
  • Options
    asa144asa144 Posts: 606 Member
    edited October 2020
    I hate the idea of dating other simmers virtually. Even if I didn't already have a boyfriend I would ask that friend out irl before doing it online. As for random simmers who I don't know...quite a few of the people on the Internet are creeps who I don't trust.

I don't want them coming into my game and ruining it. When I game that is my own private downtime.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I’m mostly concerned about two things:

1. The trolls- there are bound to be some people who try to troll other players by killing off their sims or ruining storytelling. Imagine you’re just trying to tell a story and then some random 12 year-old starts a fire in the background!
    2. The perverts- The reason that I don’t play multiplayer life sims, such as Second Life and IMVU, is because of the perverts. Either the game would have to be rated M or you would inevitably have creepy old dudes creating attractive teen sims and using them to flirt with teenage girls.
  • Options
    asa144asa144 Posts: 606 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    The perverts- The reason that I don’t play multiplayer life sims, such as Second Life and IMVU, is because of the perverts. Either the game would have to be rated M or you would inevitably have creepy old dudes creating attractive teen sims and using them to flirt with teenage girls.

I went on IMVU when I was 16/17 and there were men in their 50s and 60s hitting on me even after finding out my real age! Their behaviour was absolutely revolting so I don't do online gaming anymore. It would be a shame if The Sims became like that.
  • Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sitting here thinking about it initially I was like: Aww but multiplayer would be fun! But then I thought about it... sometimes there are creeps and trolls and just noooo. Plus the thought of any of the romance interactions with people I don't know makes me cringe. I wouldn't mind playing with a few people I know. Like how I play Minecraft on a private server with my best friend and her siblings and parents. Now that's cool because we all know each other and what we expect of each other. Something like that I'd like. I'd also like to be able to play solo too.
  • Options
    Darkshadow608Darkshadow608 Posts: 156 Member
    The same reason I was advised by other gamer friends to never play ARK. Other people don't respect what your play style is, or the work you've put into making your game yours. They'll destroy it. It's like a kid pulling the wings off a butterfly. He doesn't understand the pain and hurt he inflicts, and finds it amusing. So if TS5 turns out to be multiplayer, then its the biggest no I'll ever give. I want to play my game my way without being terrorised by other players.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2020
    The same reason I was advised by other gamer friends to never play ARK. Other people don't respect what your play style is, or the work you've put into making your game yours. They'll destroy it. It's like a kid pulling the wings off a butterfly. He doesn't understand the pain and hurt he inflicts, and finds it amusing. So if TS5 turns out to be multiplayer, then its the biggest no I'll ever give. I want to play my game my way without being terrorised by other players.

I can imagine how many who get so upset if someone alters one of their builds and puts it on the gallery would be so upset to see another player come into the game and change their build and delete 90% of the clutter they had in a house. Changed a wall placement, changed the floor tile, the carpets, and wall coverings. Or made a Sim that looks like their Sim and say it's their Sim, but in reality it's a Maxis Sim because they all look just like any premade in the game. :o
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    I honestly can't think of anything I would like less than for the Sims 5 than for it to become a MMO, co-op, or pvp style multiplayer game, or even online virtual environment like Second Life.

The sims as a life simulation game is pretty unique in a world where multiplayer online game seem to be taking over.

I play my Sims games as life stories, with original characters I have created in different life contexts, with specific outcomes that I have predetermined. Other people would inevitably prevent that kind of gameplay.

I have played many different types of games over the years and I'm always drawn to the story rich, immersive style gameplay. The famous games in those genres that have recently had side ventures into the multiplayer style of gameplay (e.g. Fallout 76) have all been met with severe criticism and poor reviews from the fans and the reason for that is simple. Not everyone wants to play the same way!

The very fact that there has already been an online version of the Sims that essentially 'tanked' suggests strongly that the majority of Simmers, prefer an individualistic single player style of game play. So please, EA just leave the Sims franchise alone!

If you want real life social interaction in your gameplay, then play something else and then you can deal with the inevitable draw backs, like trolling and griefers, watered down world environments, simplistic gameplay, micro transactions, creeps and perverts etc. and leave the rest of us to play the way we want.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I feel strongly about this!

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited October 2020
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I’m mostly concerned about two things:

1. The trolls- there are bound to be some people who try to troll other players by killing off their sims or ruining storytelling. Imagine you’re just trying to tell a story and then some random 12 year-old starts a fire in the background!
    2. The perverts- The reason that I don’t play multiplayer life sims, such as Second Life and IMVU, is because of the perverts. Either the game would have to be rated M or you would inevitably have creepy old dudes creating attractive teen sims and using them to flirt with teenage girls.

Or teenage boys, for that matter. (I'm of the opinion that whatever goes on between consenting adults is NOMB, but the key words are "consenting" and "adults".)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited October 2020
    deleted
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    For me, multiplayer online is a "no go." When Sim City 2013 went online, it was awful for me. Lots of people complained about the inefficient servers and things like that. Not for me, the servers worked just fine, because, the vast majority of people live on the other side of the planet! The vast majority of people were asleep when I was awake, the vast majority of people were awake when I was asleep. Sim city 2013, it should have been called sim ghost town where I live. If the sims 5 went online, I would not buy it. My time zone has less than 3 million people in the winter. we lose 700,000 people in our time zone just because of "daylight savings time," in the summer, it is a 5 hour flight at nearly the speed of sound to get to the closest significant population center...three time zones away in the summer...two time zones away in the winter! Where I live it is tough to make a phone call to other places, let alone play multiplayer online games