Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    Comparison between the DXT5 base texture, CAS and gameplay:

bwLRPdV.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I also have this bug, luckily a while back in this threat I read about reshade. Which really make the issue less bad for me. On the pictures below you can see reshade deband set to max vs non. I only use reshade with deband, no special preset as I simply just use a lighting mod.
    22ab7fce9dbb0497500f15b3f352e49298cae417.png
    45a578315df7a481d64d296ed86a30c1bce4d5f6.png
    So for everybody who doesnt have it yet, I would advise to get reshade.

• Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,128 Member
    edited March 2021
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    Reshade is great option, but for me - who takes pictures for my stories - you can't get good pictures with it unless you play in Windowed mode. (Otherwise the pictures are dark when playing in Widescreen). I have to play on Widescreen, windowed drives me nuts. That's more of a picky issue though. :p

I just wanted to point that out again in case anyone would like to know. :)

I wish there was something like Reshade that would allow me to play in Widescreen mode and still get lovely pictures. Anyone know of anything like that?

@Cororon I play on an odd resolution size, cause my monitor is an old 32 inch widescreen we got 12 years ago! :p (It's a thick one for a widescreen! :lol: ) Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without right?? :mrgreen:
    The size in my Nvidia control panel is 720p, 1176x664 which I'm beginning to think I should resize it because my sims look wider/fatter in game when they really aren't. :confused: (But they don't come out that way in the pictures.) Just tried to do that...The other resolutions look terrible!
    I think I need a new monitor. :p
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @emorrill Enable "experimental features" in your settings in Nvidia Experience and you can use Freestyle.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    @emorrill yeah turning edge smoothing off causes jagged edges and I can’t stand that so I deal with the white lines
  • Options
    The weird thing is my laptop with nvidia doesn’t have these issues but my pc does grant it two different nvidia cards
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,377 Member
    @Emily4331 That is a lot of information most of which I don't understand but thanks!

I have tried the color banding option in Reshade and like it to some degree. What I don't like is that it blurs face detail, for example freckles. So usually I keep it turned off. I've also tried HQ settings but it lags my game to play with those.

Just to say, this annoys me when I'm playing but I've learned to live with it. What is really annoying is trying to film around all the pixil vomit.

@Cororon I'm remembering some things. When this first happened (December 2019) I was on chat with NVidia for hours, two days in a row. They walked me through changing multiple settings and nothing ever helped. They said that it was not their driver causing the problem because if it was, then doing a clean install of a previous driver would have fixed it. I think that it is something with their driver combined with something in Windows. No idea what. This is just to give you further information in your quest.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @emorrill Have you tried Windowed Borderless Gaming? The game window should take up the entire screen but give you the effects of windowed mode, including (hopefully) making Reshade screenshots look right.

https://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/

By the way, what's the native resolution of your monitor, and what resolution is it running at now? Right-click on your desktop and select Display Settings; you should see the recommended and available resolutions. Whatever the recommended resolution is, try choosing that and then setting the Control Panel to match.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited March 2021
    I also (finally) had the white lines that @GraceyManor mentioned; it probably took a while because I put off a certain Windows update for at least six months. Anyway, I found one object in-game that reliably had the white lines, and I was able to get rid of them with these Control Panel settings:

Antialiasing - FXAA: On
    Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
    Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
    Antialiasing - Setting: 2x

Only the third one was actually necessary to get the lines to disappear; the fourth is the default when antialiasing is enabled. I didn't notice any improvement when running the game at 8x either, although I only looked for a couple minutes. The first two settings helped get rid of some subtle but very ugly jagged lines when viewing objects at a certain angle.

I wasn't using Freestyle, Reshade, or any other graphics-adjusting tools.

This didn't do a thing for the texture issues, but that's no surprise given the cause.
  • Options
    I have those already set to those, except for antiliasing- that was set to 8x
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @budewarmin That looks nice, and could well be a good solution for many with this problem. It doesn't really "repair" anything, but the main thing is that you can happily continue playing. :smile:

@emorrill Can't blame you for using "old stuff" until you wear them out. I used a standard 19" CRT until three years ago. :smile: Now I'm on a 27" 60 Hz IPS monitor with 2560x1440 resolution and take screenshots that size, and editing those screenshots it much more fun as there are so many more pixels to work on, so I can get the little details like I want.

2560x1440 is the sweetspot for a 27" I think, because on a 1920x1080 27" the screen's pixels get larger and can be visible and annoy some people. For many modern games you'd want one of the faster graphics cards to deliver enough fps for 1440p, especially if the monitor has higher refresh rate than 60 Hz. But for Sims 3 a 60 Hz 27" IPS at 1440p and my GTX 1060 is an excellent combination. Yeah, I investigated this a lot before replacing my old monitor. :lol:

@ZeeGee Thanks for the additional info! I've been following this thread and I did read about the suspicions that a Windows 10 update could be the culprit. Since something has indeed happened, and both Windows 10 and Nvidia have been blamed, plus that something seems to be going on in the game itself (the weird dither pattern) I suspect that there is a conflict somewhere.

I don't think we know the whole story yet. @Emily4331 thinks the compressions of the DXT textures causes it, and I don't think it's the only explanation since something has indeed happened, but she might be on to something anyway. The strange dithering pattern seen when the textures look blocky I suspect comes from the game. Clothes and objects don't just use one map, but several, and maybe some are shown at the normal 1024x1024 resolution but other maps at 512x512 which shouldn't load in close up but only be seen on sims and objects in the distance, where the dither pattern wouldn't be seen either.

That's why I want EA to acknowledge the problem. If there is a conflict causing this, then EA and Nvidia should work together on solving it. Everything can seem normal on either side. EA haven't changed anything in the game, and things might look fine for Nvidia and their drivers.

Think of a graphics conflict as putting boots on a sim wearing jeans. The boots are fine and so are the jeans, but when the sim walks you can see the jeans poking through the boots! They are "clipping", not working right together. It's a kind of conflict. The boots could be like Sims 3 and the jeans like Nvidia's driver. They are both ok, but not together. :) Where Windows 10 fits in in all of this, I don't know, but it's possible.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict That windowed borderless gaming is great to know about! Thanks for sharing. :)
    By the way, what's the native resolution of your monitor, and what resolution is it running at now? Right-click on your desktop and select Display Settings; you should see the recommended and available resolutions. Whatever the recommended resolution is, try choosing that and then setting the Control Panel to match.
    ^I just checked the display settings and it's at the same size as what I have set in the Nvidia control panel. 👍 It recommends a size up, but when I choose it, the screen becomes too stretched and I can't see the windows bar down below or some of desktop items. What can I say? I have a weird monitor. :p

@GraceyManor
    I have those already set to those, except for antialiasing- that was set to 8x
    ^And you still have the white lines showing up?

@Cororon
    Yeah, I investigated this a lot before replacing my old monitor. :lol:
    ^Lol! :lol: Nothing wrong with that. You gotta go with what you know you'll like when you spend that kind of money. :)
    I hope you can find some kind of solution to the blockiness on clothes and walls, you're pretty computer literate unlike myself. :p
    Think of a graphics conflict as putting boots on a sim wearing jeans. The boots are fine and so are the jeans, but when the sim walks you can see the jeans poking through the boots! They are "clipping", not working right together. It's a kind of conflict. The boots could be like Sims 3 and the jeans like Nvidia's driver. They are both ok, but not together. :) Where Windows 10 fits in in all of this, I don't know, but it's possible.
    ^Love this analogy. :star:
    *sigh* I wish EA would care - like they did back in Sims 2 days - and do something, but sadly, as you mentioned before, I don't think they will unless they do an update through Origin (or a 64 bit remaster) and I don't want to shy away from my disks. Origin su'cks! (Plus when your internet is down you can't play the game and y'all wouldn't BELIEVE the internet issues we've been having lately! :confounded: )
  • Options
    @emorrill Yeah I still have the lines
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    @emorrill You can log in and play games offline on Origin. Well, unless the game itself has to have an internet connection, which TS3 does not. Origin and similar applications, as long as you have logged into it while online at some point in time, will remember you and doesn't have to be online for subsequent log in attempts to be successful.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I noticed my game isn't AS pixelated as it was before and color banding has been reduced. Dithering seems to be working again somehow:

Wall with a flat color pattern (you can see some dithering):
    qQ7gl4d.jpg

Sunset sky (color banding has been reduced):
    ObRcYuu.jpg

It's not perfect, but definitely much better than before.
  • Options
    @Naus
    How'd you fix it?
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I didn't do anything. At some point, it fixed itself. Maybe when I updated my drivers. I didn't upgrade my GPU.
  • Options
    @Naus Awesome! What kind of graphics card do you have?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sittingbear on the NRaas forum thinks it has to do with the bloom effect in the game:
    I installed my 1660 Super into one of back up computers to take a closer look and it also looks like a bad reaction to bloom that is used in-game as opposed to CAS which doesn't use it. When the bloom is at a certain level it can cause the effect you're seeing as it primarily uses the gamma channel. It doesn't look like the driver is handling the games bloom well which does make sense as more modern games use a different lighting system. Modern games still use bloom just not to the extent as older games.
    Incidentally that back up computer uses Win 7 and it's happening there too. This is solely a Nvidia problem not a Win 10 and Nvidia but just Nvidia.

Naus wrote: »
    I didn't do anything. At some point, it fixed itself. Maybe when I updated my drivers. I didn't upgrade my GPU.

Strange mystery, this. Did you play another game between your Sims 3 sessions?
    Post edited by Cororon on
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    So if this is an Nvidia issue, do players with an AMD card NOT have these issues?
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,377 Member
    @emorrill AMD cards DID have the issue but according to some posts over on the NRaas forum, they fixed it. Nvidia hasn't. I almost bought a computer with AMD but because it had the same issues I didn't. Dang. That was a mistake.

Everyone go post on Cororon's thread on the Nvidia forum if you possibly can!
  • Options
    @ZeeGee I see. Cause I was gonna say I was seriously considering maybe getting a new computer with an AMD card or seeing if the computer place here could swap my Nvidia out with one. :p Both are not very cheap options... *Sigh*

That's good to know. I sure hope Nvidia gets their act together!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I don’t think all nvidia cards have it my laptop with the nvidia 1050 Ti doesn’t have it.But my desktop with the 1650 super does
  • Options
    @GraceyManor Interesting... I have the 1050 ti and as you can see it totally has it for me.
    Weird...
  • Options
    emorrill wrote: »
    @GraceyManor Interesting... I have the 1050 ti and as you can see it totally has it for me.
    Weird...

Is it a desktop or a laptop? I wonder if that makes a difference

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top