Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    edited December 2020
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    Pary wrote: »
    Oh, that could be it. Mine is actually quite smooth. I use THIS ONE

@Pary Thanks for linking the skin, but man...I'd totally use it, but the male n'ip'pl'es aren't as accentuated as I'd like. :lol:
    (Sorry, but shameless. :p )
    I loved Windows 7 too and 10 has given me nothing but a headache and frustration. :confounded: Originally it made my game beautiful and HD, better than ever before, and then that dreaded update came out back in Dec 2019 and everything changed. :pensive:

@ZeeGee Would love to see your example pics sometime. :)

@GraceyManor I've seen those flickering lines appear on some random objects in my game too, I just don't remember which objects at the moment because at the time I chose not to care. :unamused:
    I don't think it's a faulty graphics card, it's just Windows 10 cr'ap!
    Post edited by emorrill on
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    @emorrill I've been sooo siiiick. Today is the first time I've booted up the computer since I posted that about showing pics. Working on it now though.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    @ZeeGee I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling sick. :( (I do hope it's not the dreaded COVID...) If so, or even not, I will send a quick prayer in your direction. 🙏 Get better soon. <3 No rush on showing me pictures.
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    emorrill wrote: »
    @ZeeGee I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling sick. :( (I do hope it's not the dreaded COVID...) If so, or even not, I will send a quick prayer in your direction. 🙏 Get better soon. <3 No rush on showing me pictures.

Thank you. I don't think it was Covid because my husband got it first and tested negative, so I didn't bother to get tested. We are sheltering in place so aren't exposing anyone. :)

Booting up now. :)
    edited December 2020
    Okay, I've done some testing and it looks to me like the face pixilation issues are better with and without a default skin. Not sure it's as noticeable in the pictures as it is live, but using Pary's default skin is definitely better than vanilla sims. Darker sims still have more pixilation than lighter, and sims with good lighting are much better than in shadows as before. There is still pixilation on plain walls with no light but light them up and it's much better. I did get a recent Nvidia update so not sure if that's why. When I first looked at the sims I thought I'd forgotten to turn Reshade off. Anyway here are some results.

This is a fresh folder with base game only, no CC, only NRaas mods installed. Cornelia's hair was changed and lipstick removed, ugh those purple lips, so you can see her face better, Gunther's hair changed cause that hat he wears messes up the shadows on his face. I took these as Sunset Valley first loads so you can compare in your own game.

VANILLA BASE GAME:
    RCx2Nxg.jpg

VANILLA BASE GAME SPOILER PICS:
    uYLD3tM.jpg
    96ennm9.jpg
    Cornelia's arm:
    a8KXhNH.jpg
    Gunther's arm:
    uBQ7Hc9.jpg

BASE GAME WITH MANGO SMOOTHIE DEFAULT:
    15uqe6m.jpg

MANGO SMOOTHIE SPOILER PICS:
    ydiQAmN.jpg
    FLVAWjU.jpg
    RByJ8l2.jpg
    8I0MqPf.jpg
    O05wR3v.jpg
    Not sure I could tell much difference with Mortimer:
    ydiQAmN.jpg

I went and had a look at the Andrews, and, though better, there is still have more pixilation:
    UEcK4d9.jpg
    Though light makes a huge difference. This is a side of his face with natural light and the other side which was shadowed:
    cDECwXx.jpg
    oOYfKVT.jpg

Next I'll try some pics with some different default skins and Buhudain's You Are Real cause that's what I use in my game. Back in a bit...

Okay I'm adding them to this post. These pics are taken with Buhudain's You Are Real. Gunther has BrntWaffles Wild Blueberry nondefault and Cornelia has Candied Starfruit non default by Kurasoberina (it says a lot about me that I was able to spell that with only one mistake, lol)
    B45SCP2.jpg
    VRCFBAt.jpg
    G3G0C0o.jpg
    Rz9z3BV.jpg
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited December 2020
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    @ZeeGee, I don't know if it's my mid-settings, but I get horrific pixellation in my game around the neck area and throat area in game-play but it's not visible in the screen-shots. It almost looks like a "mosaic" like when your sims go into a shower or bath and the censor box kicks in.
    Screenshot-49.jpg
    This was the one time that I managed to capture it in game. The rest of the time, I haven't been able to.
    The shadows are jagged and mosaic-y.
    emorrill wrote: »
    Pary wrote: »
    @Pary Thanks for linking the skin, but man...I'd totally use it, but the male n'ip'pl'es aren't as accentuated as I'd like. :lol:
    (Sorry, but shameless. :p )

@emorrill. I tend to use CMAR um...nope...not saying it...to...add onto the skins... :D He's got some really great stuff...for...the other gender (female) since I'm uh...male... and...uh he has male stuff for those who like that sort of thing...uh... well...um...

uh...I'll just stop right there.
    41b31872aeb4694797e1f4b91802bd66.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    edited December 2020
    @Nikkei_Simmer Wow, that seems to be a completely different issue. Maybe something to do with your graphicsrules? Have you edited that file at all? I'm going to do some googling and see if I can find anything on this.

ETA: I found this by our lovely puzzlezaddict: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/My-Sims-3-shadows-are-very-pixelated/td-p/7121817

And I just got the 5000 comments badge! Though it's about a hundred past due. :)
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    My game has not been affected
    @emorrill
    I just get so worried about my graphics card.
    Like I never noticed ANY of these issues on my laptop.
    Thought a desktop was suppose to be better -shrugs-
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer Wow, that seems to be a completely different issue. Maybe something to do with your graphicsrules? Have you edited that file at all? I'm going to do some googling and see if I can find anything on this.

ETA: I found this by our lovely puzzlezaddict: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/My-Sims-3-shadows-are-very-pixelated/td-p/7121817

And I just got the 5000 comments badge! Thought it's about a hundred past due. :)

I'll definitely look into the graphicsrules editing. But I'll make an original copy of my file before I mess with it.

Congrats on 5000 comments. :) I think my next is at 10K. Then after that...I don't think there's any other badges. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2020
    @Nikkei_Simmer . do you have an Radeon card by any chance? I didn't read that thread, but maybe ZeeGee already has it covered with it, I don't know, but that was a radeon problem once upon a time. Someone on Tumblr said they fixed it from this old thread - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/300915/a-help-for-pixelated-shadows-ati-cards/p1

This seemed like your issue - https://nerdsims.tumblr.com/post/162766312558/hey-folks-any-fix-for-these-ugly-pixelated
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    No card, integrated chip still... But it is an AMD integrated chip.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @emorrill
    Its not just 1 or 2 items though, every day I notice it more and more.
    I would bring this to the store I got it at as they are willing to see what's wrong.
    But the computer is so heavy, and I need my computer for everything, not just gaming.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »

Wow, that seems so long ago, back in another life when I would hesitate to tell people how to casually edit game files.

It brings up an interesting point though. At that time, I'd just recently edited my .sgr files to get rid of the texture memory override, which I saw in Windows but not in macOS. (This was on the same computer, strangely enough.) I had the same terrible textured shadows as Nikkei_Simmer posted here, with an AMD graphics card, and they were made somewhat better by the edit. Here's a before (left) and after (right) comparison from that time:

M1bZfza.png?2

@Nikkei_Simmer In case you haven't found it yet, the relevant section is this one, 8-10 lines down in graphicsrules:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory 32
    setb textureMemorySizeOK false

I changed it to this:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory 1024
    # setb textureMemorySizeOK false

I don't know what your graphics chip is capable of, or how much system memory your computer has, but you can experiment with different values for the "texture memory" (VRAM) override and see what happens. Anything over 368 MB (why that value? no idea) sets the card's VRAM as uber, so you'd get the default settings for that rating.

Also, @ZeeGee the comments badges don't count threads you've started. So maybe the badge was exactly on time.
    Also, @ZeeGee the comments badges don't count threads you've started. So maybe the badge was exactly on time.

Hi! Thanks for explaining that post count. And thanks for the indepth information on graphics rules. I think I will play around with mine a bit (with the original still saved) and see if I can get rid of some of those jaggies.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited December 2020
    I would really like to know why my sims on my digital sims 3 game through Origin on windows 10 look like this?

aAShZ1P.jpg

fzcyyE2.jpg

Yet My sims on my 3 disc game on a seperate windows 7 hard drive with no internet connection looks like this..Its the same graphics card. there are no lines or black marks on the skin and clothes and tattoos do not saturate into the skin either.

bO4eXDD.jpg

PRg18NZ.jpg

I was thinking if it was an issue with my graphics card why don't I have any issues playing on 7 with discs as well.

Anyways after clearing out a ton of stuff from the hard drive I play my discs on I was so pleased to launch 3 and start playing again with decent looking sims :)
  • sims3freakAdamsims3freakAdam Posts: 393 Member
    @emorrill
    Its not just 1 or 2 items though, every day I notice it more and more.
    I would bring this to the store I got it at as they are willing to see what's wrong.
    But the computer is so heavy, and I need my computer for everything, not just gaming.

I too have been having this problem with random flashing lines on objects. I’m not sure how to post videos on here as it’s been a very long time since I’ve posted on the forums but here’s a link to a post on Reddit I made showing the issue (apologies I filmed it on my mobile):

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/ktyg8p/the_sims_3_i_keep_getting_these_small_flickering/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
    Thank you for linking I will read the thread.Feel free to add that another user has the same issue on a brand new gaming desktop
    @sims3freakAdam I get that too. Mostly I've noticed it on beds but other places too.

The green shiny wood is much better. I've given up trying to find a fix for the pixilation issues and just learned to live with it (the price to pay for an older but superior game). The only way to fix it is to go back in time to pre December 2019 and keep the computer off the internet. As much fun as time traveling is in the sims, ain't going to happen in real life. :)
    @ZeeGee
    I get it on everything, even sim's clothing.
    And the graphical flickering is still plaguing me.
    Multiple people looked and even nvidia and the computer's
    computer are baffled....so I just ignore and continue to play
    as much as it irritates me.And has me paranoid.XD
  • sims3freakAdamsims3freakAdam Posts: 393 Member
    edited January 2021
    Just to add I also have terrible pixelation and colour banding issues in my game too. I’ve recently came back into playing The Sims 3 and honestly the graphics on my GTX 1060 look horrendous, it’s so bad its made me not want to play as I never remembered TS3 looking this awful on my old setup. My pixelation looks worse than some of the pictures in here, I thought there was something wrong with my machine but I don’t seem to have problems on other games.

My settings are all maxed out but even with that the game looks like it’s running on the lowest settings. I have done all the steps to get the game to recognise my card and capped the fps with RivaTuner as the nvidia control panel doesn’t seem to work for me, when I select it to use vsync the game still shows fps over 100. I have GeForce Experience installed (which I mainly got to keep my drivers up to date) other than that I don’t use it at all to configure settings, is there anything in there that I should use to improve the visuals?
    @sims3freakAdam

I feel your pain truly I do. I spent over a year trying everything to rid myself of terrible sim graphics before reverting back to the disc version of the game where the issue no longer exists.
    @GraceyManor Ugh I’m sorry. That is so weird.

@SPARKY1922 It’s great to hear you’re able to play with good graphics again. I think the key is having a Windows 7 computer off the internet, cause I have all disc version but still have the color banding and pixilation. Forgot to comment on your pictures, the difference is staggering and really shows what updated graphics cards and Windows 10 has done to our game.

@sims3freakAdam Lots of discussion on this thread has narrowed this down to Nvidia taking away dithering in an update and also something Windows 10 did about a year ago, because reverting to an older Nvidia driver doesn’t solve the problem. Reshade does help a lot with the color banding and pixilation but can take away some detail. Somewhere on this long thread Archivist explained how to use that. The other thing that can help, especially with sims’ faces, is having things brightly lit.

The only really fix is having an older computer and not allowing the internet to touch it, Windows 10 does not even allow you to restore to factory default anymore, it keeps its updates. 😡
    @ZeeGee

I agree my windows 7 non internet disc game is stunning compared to the origin windows 10 digital game. I am just so grateful to have this all set up in one computer but it was so expensive to do it this way that i am not sure I would pay that much out again if it all bombed so I often worry what is going to happen when something PC breaks that requires an upgrade of some sort because upgrades worry the heck out of me to start with :)
  • xxcrazyskittlesxxxxcrazyskittlesxx Posts: 16 Member
    No, my game does not appear to have been affected.
  • KynanKynan Posts: 468 Member
    Mine originally wasn't affected, but after my last GPU update, TS3 looks terrible.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top