Fresh off the press - the April 13 Laundry List! Click here to find out more!
April 16 - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Welcome to all NEW SIMMERS joining us on the Sims forum! 🎉 Have fun on the forum and please make sure you check out the forum rules and
the rules about necroposting.
Sul sul Simmers! It's awesim to see that so many of you are starting new and interesting discussions! But please make sure that you do so in the right forum section. Thank you! 🙂

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

1202122232426...Next

Comments

• Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited April 5
    @Cororon Which textures in particular? I wonder if I can find older screenshots with said textures and compare what it looks like now in my game. Same, better or worse.

@emorrill You say your CAS was smooth with clean lines before the 2019 driver update but I have a NVidia GPU too. If it is indeed NVidia then every single person should be affected. Well, maybe because each GPU can be different in how it renders and so on depending on the infrastructure. What resolution are you playing at and do you reset the options in TS3 every time you update your GPU because it automatically goes back to default settings?

All of my settings are set to the highest except high detail lots which is 1. And I turned off edge smoothing.

I've been using NVidia's Control Panel for years. My current settings for TS3 are:

Anisotropic Filtering - 8x
    Antialiasing Gamma Correction - On
    Antialiasing Mode - Override Application Setting
    Antialiasing Setting - 8x
    Antialiasing Transparency - 8x (Supersample)
    Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) - On
    Texture Filtering Anisotropic Sample Optimization - Off
    Texture Filtering Negative LOD Bias - Clamp
    Texture Filtering Quality - High Quality
    Texture Filtering Trilinear Optimization - Off
    Threaded Optimization - Auto
    Triple Buffering - On
    Vertical Sync - On
    Virtual Reality Pre Rendered Frames - Use the 3D Application Setting

Not sure if I got the settings right but I haven't run into any issues so I don't know. I'm still learning so those settings could change in the future. Anyway, most of these settings may affect gameplay performance so keep that in mind. My native resolution is 2560 x 1440 @ 144 refresh rate. This is how I get TS3 to look better in-game. Started doing this sometime after building my first gaming desktop and have been customizing TS3 since.

=======

I still think upgrading to GPU's and monitors with higher resolutions have definitely made color banding and dithering more noticeable and that may be what some are seeing in their games. In older video games where dithering is heavily used, when playing on a higher resolution tv or monitor, the dithering is clearly seen and stands out than the resolution it was meant to be played with. If I had to guess, TS3 ideal resolution would be 1920 x 1080 1280 x 720. Any higher than that will just better showcase the use of dithering and the lack of color representation to get smooth gradient transitions.

https://emulation.fandom.com/wiki/Dithering

"Dithering is a technique to increase the amount of color and shading that can be done on a system. This has often been used as a cheap way to coax more color from a system's graphics processor than is usually possible. However, since modern PCs don't convert color space at all the signal is untouched and the dithering is far more obvious."

=======

http://retro-sanctuary.com/comparisons - differing.html

"There are three main reasons for its use -

1. To allow more colours in a game than the hardware's natural limit." < TS3 is catered to those with low mid-range and high mid-range gaming and non gaming computers because that's likely what the majority of the target audience could afford or already had. High-end was not TS3 focus or else it would have done so much more and looked so much better. The potential was held back for the sake of the fanbase and if I remember correctly was discussed in one of the many interviews of the development on TS3. It is an intentional design choice.

Now it would be amazing to have TS3 recreated from the ground up and aimed towards high-end gaming with no potential held back with many new features including actually having the playtstyle of open shopping/businesses/dining from TS/TS2 and so much more. But I am not holding my breath.
    Post edited by Deshong04 on
    "Most of the world did not treat him any differently; few knew the name of Drizzt Do'Urden. But Drizzt knew now that he owed no apologies, or excuses, for his black skin, and to those who placed unfair judgment upon him, he offered none."
  • CororonCororon Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited March 31
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    @Cororon Which textures in particular? I wonder if I can find older screenshots with said textures and compare what it looks like now in my game. Same, better or worse.

Test these female child stockings and see if you get tons of blocky artefacts and ugly dithering: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qph3n6fdx3el34g/CF_st*ck*ngs_as_gloves_test2.rar (Made them for testing, and can be found as "gloves" so they can be layered with socks. They don't have their own thumbnail so it's just a hand).

A couple of the classic objects with colour banding that now seem to look worse, and an outfit:

9Tt6Zua.jpg

Speaking of colour banding and dithering. My siggy is full of that. But it's just a gif, so it's ok. :tongue:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,218 Member
    @Deshong04 Appreciate your insight and pictures; however, when this happened to me it was overnight and it was the same computer, same settings, same monitor (1920 x 1080), same everything. I booted my game, noticed all my options had been reset, reset them back to what they had originally been, went into game and....pixil vomit. It was a marked difference from the day before. Yes, I had noticed some color banding before, but never such horrificness on my sims faces (especially darker skinned sims) and clothes.
    The Sequel: FINALE

edited March 31
    Cororon wrote: »

Test these female child stockings and see if you get tons of blocky artefacts and ugly dithering: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qph3n6fdx3el34g/CF_st*ck*ngs_as_gloves_test2.rar (Made them for testing, and can be found as "gloves" so they can be layered with socks. They don't have their own thumbnail so it's just a hand).

A couple of the classic objects with colour banding that now seem to look worse, and an outfit:

9Tt6Zua.jpg

Speaking of colour banding and dithering. My siggy is full of that. But it's just a gif, so it's ok. :tongue:

This is what it looks like in CAS.
    Screenshot-776.jpg

What it looks like in-game.
    Screenshot-777.jpg

Screenshot-778.jpg

The kitchen.
    Screenshot-783.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot-784.jpg

Screenshot-785.jpg

Screenshot-786.jpg

The kitchen re-textured.
    Screenshot-798.jpg

Screenshot-797.jpg

The sporty outfit using preset and using a slightly textured paint.
    Screenshot-787.jpg

Screenshot-789.jpg

Slightly-Textured-Paint.png

Screenshot-794.jpg

Screenshot-795.jpg

And the wall as is and after using the same paint pattern.
    Screenshot-791.jpg

Screenshot-793.jpg

=======

@ZeeGee Hopefully someone can find a way to improve the appearance of color banding and dithering without causing any performance issues. Not sure if it's a workaround for everyone but at least with the dithering just avoid using solid colors and find a different texture to represent as if a solid color. It may work as well to minimize or completely eliminate color banding with certain textures concerning walls/objects.
    "Most of the world did not treat him any differently; few knew the name of Drizzt Do'Urden. But Drizzt knew now that he owed no apologies, or excuses, for his black skin, and to those who placed unfair judgment upon him, he offered none."
    @Deshong04 Thanks for testing! It looks the same as in my game. It's sad how the stockings look smooth in CAS but not in game. Other stockings I've made before look better because I had added a little random noise in the base texture's alpha channel. I think I should try that for these as well, but a make the noise a little more transparent. Maybe that will help a little.

I don't have the bad banding and weird shadows on skin like some have. Not yet...
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,218 Member
    Hopefully someone can find a way to improve the appearance of color banding and dithering without causing any performance issues. Not sure if it's a workaround for everyone but at least with the dithering just avoid using solid colors and find a different texture to represent as if a solid color. It may work as well to minimize or completely eliminate color banding with certain textures concerning walls/objects.

@Deshong04 I do know the texture trick for walls and surfaces, and also have Reshade installed which helps with the color banding. The thing that bothers me most though is the sims' skins and faces, especially the darker skinned sims. If I deband with Reshade enough to get rid of the color banding I lose a lot of detail like freckles, etc. So usually I end up disabling Reshade.
    The Sequel: FINALE

edited April 3
    @Cororon No problem.

[Deleted]
    edited April 5
    I'm curious, because I may upgrade my monitor in the future but not specifically for TS3. However....

Does anyone have a 4k HDR 400/500/600/1000/1400 10 or 12 bpc (bits per component/color depth) monitor and knows if that helps with color banding and dithering with TS3 or are the results the same?

I'm going to guess it may be the same according to the typical usage scenarios says "Applications need to be written with more than 8 bpc output, setting a higher value here will not improve the image of the application that does not support more than 8 bpc." I doubt TS3 supports more than 8 bpc, though I could be wrong.

Also according to the typical usage scenarios says "Using higher output color depth can help you display colors with high quality, especially for smooth color transitions and gradients."
    Nothing new to report, but... the reason I updated the graphics driver two months ago was because I thought the old one from 2019 was what caused my computer to bluescreen. So after updating it everything was fine, until yesterday when I got another bluescreen. :angry:

I'm still on my Sims break, but I'll start playing again when I feel like it. Hopefully soon. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif