Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    @spend4zen if you're playing pc and click shift a sim to modify in cas within you're active household, you can do the same with NPC townies.

I had an elder pop in as a leader of spirit corps at university and I just modified her in CAS real quick. It can be annoying but there is a way to change the look of a townie. Doing this to a pre made (goth or whoever) most likely would load out of cas as that family if they're in world. Townies have no home so I click shift and mod in CAS. To make it easier I randomize the npc from the gallery and go back into the game. Takes maybe 2 minutes to generate a proper npc. I agree we shouldn't have to but there are ways to create better townies or fix them on the fly.
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    @spend4zen if you're playing pc and click shift a sim to modify in cas within you're active household, you can do the same with NPC townies.

I had an elder pop in as a leader of spirit corps at university and I just modified her in CAS real quick. It can be annoying but there is a way to change the look of a townie. Doing this to a pre made (goth or whoever) most likely would load out of cas as that family if they're in world. Townies have no home so I click shift and mod in CAS. To make it easier I randomize the npc from the gallery and go back into the game. Takes maybe 2 minutes to generate a proper npc. I agree we shouldn't have to but there are ways to create better townies or fix them on the fly.

When I have tried this, and I do play on PC, I only get the option to change hair and clothes, nothing else. I am going to keep trying it, I even tried using a cheat last night on one but that did not work either. It's like the Townies and NPC's are locked or something. At least I changed the bright orange lipstick and blue hair on the lady who jogs by my house everyday. The randomly generated NPC's are awful.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    If you want to change more than just hair and clothing, @spend4zen, you need to enter the cheat code "cas.fulleditmode" as well.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion of the day: I do not care at all that babies are tied to cribs. Babies are boring either way and the duration of the life stage is so short that I think it would be a waste of resources to ever bother making any change to it.

I totally agree :)
  • Options
    sparkietothemaxsparkietothemax Posts: 131 Member
    I guess my unpopular opinion is some people take Sims too seriously. As in, thinking they're on par with real people and even judge peoples morals based on said Sims. For example, I think I read something about nursing homes and someone was really upset over another player moving out the elderly, as if the person would do something like that in real life. Another example is a YouTuber equating Sims to real people.
    I play a lot of horror games, but if you asked me to go get rid of zombies at a police station or explore a mansion with someone stalking me in real life, I'd be like Bella Goth and disappear. Video games only for me, please.
  • Options
    ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    I guess my unpopular opinion is some people take Sims too seriously. As in, thinking they're on par with real people and even judge peoples morals based on said Sims. For example, I think I read something about nursing homes and someone was really upset over another player moving out the elderly, as if the person would do something like that in real life. Another example is a YouTuber equating Sims to real people.
    I play a lot of horror games, but if you asked me to go get rid of zombies at a police station or explore a mansion with someone stalking me in real life, I'd be like Bella Goth and disappear. Video games only for me, please.

To me, it depends what they’re doing. A person who puts a face full of makeup and revealing clothes on a toddler sim rubs me the wrong way.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • Options
    sparkietothemaxsparkietothemax Posts: 131 Member
    Apricus wrote: »

To me, it depends what they’re doing. A person who puts a face full of makeup and revealing clothes on a toddler sim rubs me the wrong way.

Yea, I agree. There's also something I wanted to mention that I judge on, which is um... having questionable mods in the game. Ones that will not be named and make me sick to my stomach. I believe Pixelade had a video, if anyone is asking what I'm talking about. Sorry if this breaks rules for the forum.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited March 2022
    I can definitely say without a doubt I do not like this new update. At all. After about 5 hours of game play the game killed off at least 25 sims. That's far too many.

Post edited by Arzekial on
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    Arzekial wrote: »
    I can definitely say without a doubt I do not like this new update. At all. After about 5 hours of game play the game killed off at least 25 sims. That's far too many.

Yikes, I was afraid this would happen. :/
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited March 2022
    Kimmer wrote: »

Yeah. It wouldn't be so bad if it were like, one sim every few hours of game play but this is sim genocide... simocide, hehe... but, yeah, way too many. I'm a little peeved it messed up my carefully built world with all sims placed by me. That world took quite a while to build.

Edit: Okay, I retract my previous statement saying I don't like it. With the deaths turned off it's a pretty great addition to the game. :)
    Post edited by Arzekial on
  • Options
    WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
    I don't think they hate men. I think it's because they're focused on marketing to their largest demographic. According to a job posting they posted maybe a year or two(?) ago, they said 60% of players are women between the ages of 18-24. I guess I'm just in the minority then. I'm a woman in my thirties who almost exclusively plays male Sims.

It kind of reminds me of Barbie. "Here's our new series of Barbie. She's an astronaut, and a doctor, and a magician, and a scientist, and a stylist, and a chef now! Oh, here's our new model of Ken--He has a new shirt."

An surprised to learn that that is their main marketing demographic because I got the impression from some of the pack concepts that the developers didn't really understand modern women either, particularly with some of the more recent pack ideas.

As well as doing laundry and being a parent, we now have packs/kits to improve our kitchens, improve our range of home cooking, we can even do the hoovering, and now a game pack entirely dedicated to relationships and dream weddings.
    Um, whilst these packs do look nice and fun, and I mean no disrespect to any players who like these things; to me, such concepts seem incredibly outdated in these modern times, particularly if the game is supposed to be aimed at young females.

These days there are many females who don't have any domestic interests at all (I'm one of them, though am older than the 60%), and have other ambitions than getting married and being a domestic goddess, especially in a game setting. Which is why it baffles me slightly that the developers seem to be continually choosing these sort of themes for new packs.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I don't care for realism present day play, I prefer weird, occults, fantasy, fairytales, sifi, history, Mythology & Superheroes.
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    My unpopular opinion of the day: I do not care at all that babies are tied to cribs. Babies are boring either way and the duration of the life stage is so short that I think it would be a waste of resources to ever bother making any change to it.

This is what I came to post as well. I just saw another complaint about babies and I just don't understand what the heck it is that people want the babies to be doing in the first place. I mean toddlers pretty much cover all baby activity. They don't walk well at first, they need to be fed, they need to be changed, bathed, and potty trained, they don't talk at first.... WHAT in the heck is it they think the newborn is meant TO DO??? Literally the only thing I see missing is crawling. And the funny thing to me is that newborn babies do exactly what the games newborns do, nothing! They sleep and eat for like 3 months..

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »

Yeah. It wouldn't be so bad if it were like, one sim every few hours of game play but this is sim genocide... simocide, hehe... but, yeah, way too many. I'm a little peeved it messed up my carefully built world with all sims placed by me. That world took quite a while to build.

Edit: Okay, I retract my previous statement saying I don't like it. With the deaths turned off it's a pretty great addition to the game. :)

Same, so far all I've seen is mass adoptions and a lot of deaths. I like the options for sims to be able to do these things but it really needs some tuning. I'm hoping a mod creator will make some tweaks to the system cause EA probably won't in any kind of timely manner.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member

What's weird to me is that this is the game where you can feed your elderly Sims to a cow plant with the Grim Reaper awaiting that person, while some of your other Sims are using the bathroom counter to prepare food and a scientist Sim is freeze raying others. There are so many ways to break suspension of disbelief in that game that it's weird to think how people treat their Sims is how they'd treat people in real life.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member

This is what I came to post as well. I just saw another complaint about babies and I just don't understand what the heck it is that people want the babies to be doing in the first place. I mean toddlers pretty much cover all baby activity. They don't walk well at first, they need to be fed, they need to be changed, bathed, and potty trained, they don't talk at first.... WHAT in the heck is it they think the newborn is meant TO DO??? Literally the only thing I see missing is crawling. And the funny thing to me is that newborn babies do exactly what the games newborns do, nothing! They sleep and eat for like 3 months..

I can understand what you mean, but we also have to consider babies are literally considered as furniture by the game. When you move in a new house the baby is put in the family inventory. While I do think they don't need to give extraordinary new interactions, they should at least free them a little bit from their cribs by letting sims hold them and put them wherever they want
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited March 2022
    I like elderly sims and it kinda saddens me how some players treat them although that doesn't mean I'm judging, each to their own. Don't actually even know why. E.g. I didn't really care that much for Abigail (pictured here) when she was an YA/Adult, thanks to me failing at "roleplaying", and was actually fully planning (and wanting) to go through the life stages but when she became an Elder something really endeared her to me and I just couldn't let her die. So for now she'll just hang around ad infinitum till I'm ready I guess.
    There's also elder sims which aren't even in my playable families but I just like them and have protected them to not die because of NS deaths.
    zX1GPXb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @Thrior, as the person who recently acknowledged that (almost) every elder in my game was killed because I put them in households where I enabled "accidental deaths" in NS....I feel kinda targeted by your comment. :lol:

Seriously though, I actually do get where you're coming from. I'm fond of the elders of my played Sim households as well. I sometimes even rush to try to complete the Fitness aspiration when they are nearing the end of their adult lifestage, hoping to get in that long-lived reward trait before they become elders. And I wish we'd get back more of the elder-specific type things we had in previous sims games. I was absolutely thrilled when we finally got rocking chairs.

It's the unplayed elders I don't care much about. They just don't serve a lot of purpose. They aren't potential mates for played Sims and they should be retired, so they aren't potential co-workers either. But I do want some around....I've disabled that accidental death stuff, now that my testing has revealed it is far too aggressive for a rotational game to be left on all the time.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    New Unpopular opinion of the day for me: I hate empty houses and really don't understand the thought process involved when I see other simmers talk about "saving them" and wanting them to remain empty for future use. You can evict other sims any time that you want, so that mindset makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems irrational and illogical.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    New Unpopular opinion of the day for me: I hate empty houses and really don't understand the thought process involved when I see other simmers talk about "saving them" and wanting them to remain empty for future use. You can evict other sims any time that you want, so that mindset makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems irrational and illogical.

If I have no sims to put in a house, I save the lot to my library and flatten the lot. Then I place a built empty lot with maybe a dumpster and assorted rubbish on it including some plants such as wild flowers. I then set it to a community lot until I need it.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    If I have an empty house that I'm saving for my future Sims, I just change the house to a generic lot until I'm ready to move it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @ModerateOsprey, @NightlyCoffee, I guess my question is..."Why?" The things you both say that you do take more effort then just clicking a button to "evict" another household when you are ready to use the house if someone does move in before then. I just don't understand "why".
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @ModerateOsprey, @NightlyCoffee, I guess my question is..."Why?" The things you both say that you do take more effort then just clicking a button to "evict" another household when you are ready to use the house if someone does move in before then. I just don't understand "why".

Well like you, I don't like empty houses, but sims have to earn their way into their own pad in my game :) I seeded my starter sims a looong time ago. Started this save when the game was released - lol! Miracle it still works!

Plonking an 'empty' lot down is pretty easy. I have some pre-made ones in my library.

It all started when I was looking glumly at my mostly empty Newcrest awhile ago. I did have some houses there and when I was playing them I didn't like the plain empty lots visually, so I just dropped a few plants and flowers down on them - maybe the odd bench, etc and set them as park lot types (required stuff in an underground room). I have them spread though the world now and I have tweaked over time, so I have got quite a variety. Some are pretty, some are outright grim.

When I bought Eco Living then all my empty lots could contain some meaningful gameplay and have used quite a bit from that to enhance them.

They are a great starting point for homeless sims.

I will change the lot type as needed during actual play. If a sim wants to put a house on there then they have to buy it.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    That's an answer I can actually understand, @ModerateOsprey. I don't worry about unplayed sims 'earning' their house, seeing as they don't seem to get paid even when they have careers, but I can still see it from your point of view too.
  • Options
    That's an answer I can actually understand, @ModerateOsprey. I don't worry about unplayed sims 'earning' their house, seeing as they don't seem to get paid even when they have careers, but I can still see it from your point of view too.

I would love it if this game had a proper economy.

They sort of do get paid in my game (should prolly put this in a how you play thread) . I am a rotational player. I don't have a schedule for this rotation. I play each sim at an individual level as far as the game will let me. Background sims are always not in world.

This requires me not to have fixed households as such. My sims join or leave many different households - sometimes several times a day - sometimes not for weeks. If I need a sim to earn I will follow that sim while they work at their career.

Freelance sims are great - they can earn regardless of the household they are in.

I do some very basic financial tracking for them that works in my head and I deem fair within my houserules.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top