Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    For me, I make the homes a generic lot because I like to visit them and pretend to do "house tours" before my Sims move in. I know I could visit the homes while someone is living in them (as long as they are on the lot), but I just prefer no NPCs living in them. I know it's slightly more effort, but I don't mind. To each their own, right?

I personally don't mind having empty homes in my world. For the most part, I do keep my homes filled but I do have a couple empty homes that I plan on adding families into eventually. I also don't like Sims moving in/out automatically, and I prefer to manually move Sims around in my world.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited March 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @Thrior, as the person who recently acknowledged that (almost) every elder in my game was killed because I put them in households where I enabled "accidental deaths" in NS....I feel kinda targeted by your comment. :lol:
    @Stormkeep Haha, sorry, no intentional targets here.
    Seriously though, I actually do get where you're coming from. I'm fond of the elders of my played Sim households as well. I sometimes even rush to try to complete the Fitness aspiration when they are nearing the end of their adult lifestage, hoping to get in that long-lived reward trait before they become elders. And I wish we'd get back more of the elder-specific type things we had in previous sims games. I was absolutely thrilled when we finally got rocking chairs.

It's the unplayed elders I don't care much about. They just don't serve a lot of purpose. They aren't potential mates for played Sims and they should be retired, so they aren't potential co-workers either. But I do want some around....I've disabled that accidental death stuff, now that my testing has revealed it is far too aggressive for a rotational game to be left on all the time.
    I agree it’d be great for there to be more elder-specific things and interactions. I thought the little stuff they had in TS3 added character, regardless of whether they were "stereotypical" or not because you could always keep that stuff optional.

For me I think the unplayed elders have a role to play in spicing up the worlds, giving it a little touch of immersion/authenticity. I haven't really thought about of their “usefulness”, I just like seeing them around. Though it’s not like my ya/adult sims are avoiding interacting with them either. They are a loving bunch who may happily flirt around with some random elders too cuz why not :lol:. I also kind of have this habit of picking unplayed sims to be protected based solely on how I've seen them behave in the game. Sometimes an elder just comes along who seems to have tons of personality, who was involved in some memorable thing, or even just has a fun style which gives me a giggle and I'm like "Yup, you're not gonna die anytime soon."
  • Options
    FrogeemsFrogeems Posts: 57 Member
    I think removing burglars was a bad idea.

Apparently EA removed them because some people were “offended”. So why have death and fire and cheating and woohoo? Burglars were always a part of the sims franchise and it just makes the Sims 4 less of a life simulator.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I liked the burglars, they were funny.
  • Options
    ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member
    Frogeems wrote: »
    I think removing burglars was a bad idea.

Apparently EA removed them because some people were “offended”. So why have death and fire and cheating and woohoo? Burglars were always a part of the sims franchise and it just makes the Sims 4 less of a life simulator.

I’m pretty sure that’s just a rumour that has been debunked. A few years ago one of the gurus (Grant I think?) said on Twitter that burglars simply hadn’t been added yet, that the devs had nothing against adding them.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    @ModerateOsprey, @NightlyCoffee, I guess my question is..."Why?" The things you both say that you do take more effort then just clicking a button to "evict" another household when you are ready to use the house if someone does move in before then. I just don't understand "why".

Because Eviction feels really mean! It's just better if they can't move in to begin with. Besides, the randos Always grab the best houses. lol
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    @ModerateOsprey, @NightlyCoffee, I guess my question is..."Why?" The things you both say that you do take more effort then just clicking a button to "evict" another household when you are ready to use the house if someone does move in before then. I just don't understand "why".

In my case it's a matter of boundaries. My sims are in the world, the game's sims are in the out of world bin. It's not rational or logical at all, just a way of preventing the short "Ew" moments that occur upon seeing the game intrude in my domain from adding up.

On a related note, an empty house is a shroedinger's home. It could be empty or anybody really could live in it and my sims won't learn who it is before the fact becomes important for the story. The game creating a definite fact by moving in a random household annoys me. Again, nothing rational. Maybe it's an unwillingness to let go and move on ("This is how it worked in Sims 1 and 2!").

Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that rental lots are almost useless. Using residentials (with staff) or generic lots is much more fluid, allowing the player to move furniture around and correct mistakes. Just use common sense what is possible and/or allowed (Moving the sofa? Any day. Buying a new stove? Weird.) and leave the place you way you found it.

I say "almost" useless because it's nice to have the game calculate and show me the cost for the rental, saving me from having to do an estimate myself.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt I get that. For me it's rather like a director (me) getting frustrated when my actors (any sim, either played or random) are suddenly turning my giant stages (worlds) into their own completely non-directed improv piece instead of waiting to get staging suggestions, choreography, or other instructions from me.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    @EnkiSchmidt I get that. For me it's rather like a director (me) getting frustrated when my actors (any sim, either played or random) are suddenly turning my giant stages (worlds) into their own completely non-directed improv piece instead of waiting to get staging suggestions, choreography, or other instructions from me.

I can find myself in this, too, well put! Although I see myself less as the director and more as my sims' somehwat railroady GM in a tabletop rpg. I'm not sure what this mental image would make the game. Probably the convention host trying to elbow themselves into my slot.

And here's another one against rentals: Sims staying at rentals cannot take odd jobs as I learned to day when I wanted my high charisma sim to help out as a sandcastle competition judge.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited April 2022
    Most of the premades in Henford are insufferable and are welcome to go and die in a fire. I don't care about your drama, I just want to get my job done, which I can't do, because everyone is constantly angry and keeps fighting each other, instead of having a civilised chat with my sim. I am considering breaking this mess apart, moving out some and deleting others, just to get some peace.
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Most of the premades in Henford are insufferable and are welcome to go and die in a fire. I don't care about your drama, I just want to get my job done, which I can't do, because everyone is constantly angry and keeps fighting each other, instead of having a civilised chat with my sim. I am considering breaking this mess apart, moving out some and deleting others, just to get some peace.

Apparently all you have to do is turn on Neighborhood Stories and they will all die from cowplants and cereal. :lol:
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    @GirafHuntr
    Do not tempt me 😂. I would love to let them all die, but sadly, my sim Maxwell believes in saving the world, one good deed at the time, so we spend the days calming emotions and meditating relationships so that no one dies of anger. It's a thankless work, really, because as soon as I turn my back, they are at each others throats again.
    Maxwell's aunt, who also lives at Henford, has a less peaceful approach, she just puts a curse on anyone she sees misbehaving 😂
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    @AngeliqueAdelaide There are some pre-existing negative sentiments among those sims, but that shouldn't result in actual fighting. What you describe sounds more like the Roughhousing Encouraged NAP?

• Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »

Because Eviction feels really mean! It's just better if they can't move in to begin with. Besides, the randos Always grab the best houses. lol

I feel mean when I evict a random from a nice house I want for my sims too. I did read somewhere that if you go into BB mode and change the number of beds/baths to 0 (zero), the game will interpret that as the house has no beds or bathrooms. So the randoms won't move in.

May or may not be unpopular: I some times don't feel like building something myself, so I browse the gallery for nice houses. So I find one that is juuust the right size, and at an affordable price. Then read the description. "Enable MOO before placing". Sorry, that's a skip for me. It just means that 1) its full of clutter and might be unplayable and 2) things will get wonky when I place it because I never use MOO and refuse to enable it just to place a house for my sims.

I'm a #nomoo builder, I never use the cheat because I've learned since TS1 days that bad things can happen if I use it. I'd have to work on selling off/deleting half the stuff in it anyway. I've stopped following many builders just because every build they upload are built using MOO. Houses can be beautiful without filling every available space with stuff. Outside is another matter, for flowers etc. It doesn't need to be functional. I use alt-placement a lot for paintings and outside flowers and other deco.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    - I have no interest in having MCCC
    - I don't mind the maps being 2D
  • Options
    @AngeliqueAdelaide There are some pre-existing negative sentiments among those sims, but that shouldn't result in actual fighting. What you describe sounds more like the Roughhousing Encouraged NAP?

I've always had autonomous voting for NAPs turned off and I the active ones are all picked by me, so no Roughhousing. What I assume happened was that at first, those with negative sentiments were angry, and as angry sims do, started to be mean to the first person they came across. Which, in turn, bred new negative sentiments, so now we are stuck in a vicious circle where the fighting never ends, as it's getting constantly fueled by anger from seeing people they hate. Which they do on daily basis, because the premades are programmed to show up at the main street.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    @AngeliqueAdelaide Okay, wow. I hope at least it is entertaining.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Life in Simsland got so complicated after Eco Lifestyle that I sometimes wish I hadn't bought it.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    @Simburian here's a tutorial from James Turner on disabling a pack.

https://youtu.be/9K3mMf-HtIs
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

@Simburian here's a tutorial from James Turner on disabling a pack.

https://youtu.be/9K3mMf-HtIs

I might try that some time when I find Eco Lifestyle too intrusive. Is there any way of disabling and "enabling" packs for various Saves though as I like the objects if not the gameplay!
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member

Or you could cheat modify some relationships to get them out of the red. I’ve had to do that a few times.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    @Simburian you can disable NAPS in the gameplay options. I tend to have it set to off unless I have sims interested in Evergreen.

If you set it to off the naps will remain until you manually remove them at the mailbox. If it's a new save just make sure it's off before beginning

Turning off naps will also remove the footprint from every world. It's less invasive. I wanted to remove it for a while but I actually enjoy the cas bb and world. This is my best of both worlds option.
  • Options
    ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    I like babies and think they’re cute
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Never thought I'd say this but....

I am sooooo over the whole mid-century modern style in this game. I've always liked the look (brings back childhood nostalgia), but it's been done to death in the Sims 4 (from both maxis and cc creators) that it's gotten to the point I'm now starting to get turned off of it.

With all the gazillion other design styles (historical and current) in the world that we could replicate.... Perhaps it's time to expand our horizons? :|
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    @AncientMuse 100% with you on this. It's time someone said it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top