Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic: Hogwarts?

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Ayradyss @DaWaterRat oooh, MYTH wasn't something I thought of but now I have a big longing for Gleep lol yay for old school references.

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Be nice if there was a more eastern Europe feel about it, and less that triggers thoughts of movies and TV, the old classic sources are a rich mine to dig in. Any bets the market will be less busy than the trailer shows, and that most of the sims we see walking around are Nancy Landgraab and all the other usual suspects rather than the trailer folks?

If you want medieval fantasy and not pop culture based witchcraft.. This pack is gonna give you a bad time

I don't doubt you in the least. Am suspecting that if I get it, it will be more for the CAS or b/b to aid in olden days building/gaming.
  • Options
    BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    Hogwarts is a fictional school in the Harry Potter universe. I saw no wizardry school children going to wizard school on the trailer. I saw no schools period. Am I missing something or did OP assume Hogwarts was something else?
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hogwarts is a fictional school in the Harry Potter universe. I saw no wizardry school children going to wizard school on the trailer. I saw no schools period. Am I missing something or did OP assume Hogwarts was something else?

it's just projection. Harry potter has magic, therefore everything involving magic reminds the harry potter fans of it. I agree that there's no connection and the guy in the trailer looks nothing like Newt from Fantastic Beasts as people have been saying. Not even an interesting Sim to look at. But as always people will just see what they wanna see, so it doesn't matter
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    @mika In my defense I only think the 'market' and some clothes are Harry Potter esque
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,877 Member
    edited August 2019

I am well aware of what Hogwarts is. The thread title refers to the article linked in the first post. I was simply asking for thoughts.
  • Options
    BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member

I am well aware of what Hogwarts is. The thread title refers to the article linked in the first post. I was simply asking for thoughts.

Fair enough, but be a bit more obvious next time. It seemed as though you thought the GP was essentially Hogwarts even though there is nothing resembling Hogwarts in the GP that we know of. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't think it is Hogwarts but it is set up where that can be a possibility. The buildable lot in the realm could be a school of magic and the town below Hogsmeade. I do think the magic shop area has some resemblance to Hogsmeade from the Potter books.
    Personally I don't mind the subtle similarities to the Potter series and the fact that the Sim in the video looks similar to Newt from Fantastic Beasts. Books, movies, cultural changes inspire inspiration. Just as some things in the Island Living pack were inspired by Moana. And just because it may have these similar aspects doesn't mean you have to play that way. That's what makes this game great, you can play it how you want to and create your own story, your own sim life and take it in any direction you choose.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    AphoticLee wrote: »
    I don't think it is Hogwarts but it is set up where that can be a possibility. The buildable lot in the realm could be a school of magic and the town below Hogsmeade. I do think the magic shop area has some resemblance to Hogsmeade from the Potter books.
    Personally I don't mind the subtle similarities to the Potter series and the fact that the Sim in the video looks similar to Newt from Fantastic Beasts. Books, movies, cultural changes inspire inspiration. Just as some things in the Island Living pack were inspired by Moana. And just because it may have these similar aspects doesn't mean you have to play that way. That's what makes this game great, you can play it how you want to and create your own story, your own sim life and take it in any direction you choose.

Haha not met many who agree my avatar resembles Newt. Also You can only build on the 'mansion' lot in Magic Realm.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    Just saw this over at PC Gamer - it mentions the Witchcraft College of Winterhold: among other things like battling...

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-become-a-wizard-in-the-sims-4s-next-game-pack-realm-of-magic/

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Just saw this over at PC Gamer - it mentions the Witchcraft College of Winterhold: among other things like battling...

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-become-a-wizard-in-the-sims-4s-next-game-pack-realm-of-magic/

Least their not too off base some articles are horribly misinformed...
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member

Perhaps University will include a magic university if your Sim is a spellcaster?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,877 Member
    AphoticLee wrote: »

The little village does remind me of Hogsmeade. Great idea.
  • Options
    I call it more Diagon Alley tbh
  • Options
    beautimousbeautimous Posts: 108 Member

I think you're misinterpreting this article. The College of Winterhold is from Skyrim, it is not in the Sims.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I didn't get a Hogwarts vibe, either. I get that more from TS3's magic brooms where our Sims can practice riding them. I didn't see any of that in the trailer. Or heck I might be half asleep and thinking about the actual School in the HP games I recently reloaded to play, lol. And my characters were practicing riding their brooms. But I was also playing magic in TS3 so everything is a blur.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I've no idea what the pop culture witchery is. Never seen or read Harry Potter and have no idea what else there is out there these days.

I like being stuck in my old skool time warp.

I'm going to link several images that I believe this set is based off (to save space not posting whole images in my reply)

Harry Potter Prequel franchise

Beautiful Creatures (btw movie was a failure but there are like 5 books it's basically a gothic teen romance about a mortal dating a witch. (Incidentally the witches are called Casters just like the life state in this pack)

Charmed Remake

This reminds me- has ANYONE noticed that Thesus Scamander and Percy Weasly look exactly the same?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

To me is more urban magic and less Harry Potter. The world looks like something straight out of a MMO. I like that, magic is used in many different ways depending on series. Have no problem if others view it differently, we have different reference points.

For me it is a new fun noob-MMO-base that the fledgling hero comes to. “Oh welcome you new user of “insert-skill-here”. Here are the 3 class-trainers and if you like there is a dueling-area over there. Feel free to collect new cute pets”.

Done it before and I will gladly do it again. This is my stuff and I am so happy to have it in the Sims 4.
  • Options
    Er... MMO does notcome to mind seeing the trailer
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Er... MMO does notcome to mind seeing the trailer

That’s perfectly fine :)

I see it like that but is quite ok if I am the only one who does that. My favorite MMO’s are WoW and SWTOR and it just feels like a spacey-WoW-area to me. Which is good!!
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Clothing makes me think of American Witchcraft in Fantastic Beasts the familiars make me think of anime and the brooms and wands seem heavily based off HP. I'm getting more a Sitcom not horror on netflix Sabrina vibe with this pack then Harry Potter.

Very true - but I'll be making Netflix Aunt Zelda and Aunt Hilda as Sims, regardless, as I just adore that dynamic and the women who portray them. :D
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    seems we are getting a harry potter type features in ROM

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    The magic world seems very 80s fantasy, like a Saturday morning kids cartoon designed solely to sell toys to children. It's a bit unfortunate that people think magic (or fantasy in general) is limited only to Medieval Europe (with hints of Victorian London), especially with the current obsession with grimdark.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    beautimous wrote: »

I think you're misinterpreting this article. The College of Winterhold is from Skyrim, it is not in the Sims.

I didn't write the article they did - so how am I misinterpreting anything. I provided a link to their article.

I also recall a Darven Winterhold years ago in another game - a board game no less (D & D)- so Skyrim does not have an exclusive hold to it either. I have been gaming since gaming existed by the way.

But technically - none of it is real. So it doesn't matter - it's a game - have fun with it. Sheesh!

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited September 2019
    I'd say "Fin de Siecle" rather than "Victorian" or medieval. Art Nouveau was a prevalent design style from approximately 1890-1910, which overlaps into Edwardian. This was also the heyday of the prominent and well-documented magical society, the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. It's founder, Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers, started in London, but ended up working from Paris. Art Nouveau architecture also had a strong presence in turn of the century Paris (including some amazing subway entrances).

I am not at all disappointed in design decisions. This is the best deep dive into an architecture and design style since Roaring Heights tackled South Beach Art Deco for TS3. I am already re-thinking my master chef's restaraunt plans, with these assets in mind. He might actually open a French place, Maison de Baulaire (using his husband's name - Maison de McGee sounds wrong. :D). So this pack is really strongly selling me on another pack I don't have yet. I'd call that a win.

If we are determined to associate it with the Potterverse, it's far more reasonably Beauxbatons. ;)