Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic: Hogwarts?

Comments

• bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    The using of the hands to cast spells is a Charmed thing. Piper Halliwell has that gift. LOL
  • JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    Wasn’t really the first thing that came to my mind... The attire of the magical realm’s people sure is inspired by HP, but the rest of the features seemed to me like anything you would expect from your regular mage/witch/wizard/warlock/sorcerer/etc.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    bluzkat65 wrote: »
    The using of the hands to cast spells is a Charmed thing. Piper Halliwell has that gift. LOL

Actually all 4 of em (7 if you wanna count reboot) except Pheobe used their hands for magic.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Eh, I only see as much Hogwarts in Realm of Magic as JKR used from folklore and such to build her Wizarding world. Familars aren't really a thing in Harry Potter (they're more pets with useful tricks... sometimes) and in this they seem more active (basing this on tweets, not the trailer itself) which is more in keeping with D&D Familiars and general folklore (minus the demon part... maybe.)

And.. I kinda see the Magical Realm as more Hogsmede than Hogwarts...

Harry Potter is like 1% folklore. It's about as close to folklore as Sabrina. Seriously.
    I don't get people who say this doesn't look like Harry Potter, this whole trailer is like 90% just copied straight from it.

Harry Potter is more than just 1% folklore. Lol. Or do you think witches, wizards, wands, riding brooms, potion making, dragons, werewolves, giants, goblins, phoenix, centaurs, gazing in crystal balls, ghosts, ... are all original content which were never heard of before Harry Potter? :D JK Rowling used these concepts and choose variations of them to suit her story. She did this really good, making it a cohesive, entertaining story. But she did not invent all of it. Quidditch, now that is something she invented herself, as far as I can tell.

Some elements of the trailer remind me of Harry Potter, like riding the broom. (just compare the last scene from the trailer to the last scene from the prisoner of azkaban movie).
    The visual style of the clothing seems to be influenced by HP and fantastic beasts as well.
    The magical village has some diagon alley vibes, but the surrounding is totally different. Harry does not go out into space.
    The sages, the different kinds of magic, the familiars, the portal ,... they seem to be inspired by other stories about magic.

I actually like the mix. Itis a magic pack, not a Harry Potter pack. One of the big advantages of vampires is the versatility in the type of vampire we want to play. I hope realm of magic will do the same. Those who want Harry Potter like wizards should be able to do so. But those who want a different kind of spellcaster, for example with hand magic, should be given the tools to create another sort of spellcaster.
    @Atreya33 I agree also I feel it's more based off 'modern' magic.

Outfits are a mix of Sabrina The Teenaged Witch, Halloweentown, and Fantastic Beasts while brooms and wands take a distinctly HP and 'generic' aesthetic.

The town square is heavily 'Diagon Alley' esque.

Magic seems to be it's own original style and outside of wands can't really call it an expy.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »

Outfits are a mix of Sabrina The Teenaged Witch, Halloweentown, and Fantastic Beasts while brooms and wands take a distinctly HP and 'generic' aesthetic.

Magic seems to be it's own original style and outside of wands can't really call it an expy.

See, in the long shots I can see the argument for Diagon Alley. But the close shots have more of a Goblin Market feel (and the idea of magical marketplaces also predates Harry Potter - though they're usually run by Faeries - thus Goblin Market.)
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Harry Potter is going to be a reference for pretty much anything magic-related for a while. It's a big popular series (franchise), it's everywhere in current pop culture and there are very few people who don't know about it, whether they like it or not.

None of that makes RoM a cash grab or a copy or a rip-off of HP. There's no such thing as an original idea and people's minds will look for the familiar in anything they see. With magic, because of how vastly spread the HP world is, it's unsurprising that it's what people relate it to.
    Sure, the town square can be seen as Diagon Alley, the broomstick flying and duels and wands too. But none of those are exclusive to HP, never have been. Personally, I like the connections to HP (intentional or not) as I'm a fan.

See, in the long shots I can see the argument for Diagon Alley. But the close shots have more of a Goblin Market feel (and the idea of magical marketplaces also predates Harry Potter - though they're usually run by Faeries - thus Goblin Market.)

Not sure what a goblin market is, but somehow with a name like that I expect it to involve goblins and not just humans/sims. ;)
    Anyway, there are bound to be many versions of magical markets in various books and movies. I think they went for a mixture of different views.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Harry Potter is great and all, I'm a big fan...but I think I want to create a Dr. Strange! Yeah!
    #Team Occult
    I find it really cute. I'm not into really dark stuff and find this to be fantastical and magically fun. But has anyone else paid attention to what the little guy says when he opens the door to the school? I swear he says "Hogwarts" in simlish style.
    edited August 2019

Actually all 4 of em (7 if you wanna count reboot) except Pheobe used their hands for magic.

Oh yeah! Piper had the blowing up and freezing things down to a science. Now that was so cool.
    I find it really cute. I'm not into really dark stuff and find this to be fantastical and magically fun. But has anyone else paid attention to what the little guy says when he opens the door to the school? I swear he says "Hogwarts" in simlish style.

You mean the guy in my avatar? I don't recall him saying anything but "Heh" and "blech!!" in the Caster's HQ.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited August 2019
    Haha. No.
    This isn't Hogwarts at all, and honestly I'm happy about it. Harry Potter did not invent the concept of magic. There is no magic school here either.

The Gurus did say they took inspiration from multiple sources, though. Clearly HP is one of them, why wouldn't it be, but it's absolutely not the only one. And I'm getting major MMORPG vibes from the floating islands in space. HP could never.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
    If you want to call out a 'main' source of inspiration I'd say 'Casters' from Beautiful Creatures the movie was a major failure but the aesthetic is still visible. Heck their even called Spellcasters and Caster magic in BC is very wide-ranged.

Clothing: Harry Potter (Fantastic Beasts specifically) and Beautiful Creatures with 'modern' takes like Charmed and Sabrina.

Magic: Wands are very Harry Potter esque as are brooms. But hand magic is more Charmed and Beautiful Creatures kinda thing.

Familiars: Seems more based off Patronuses and Pokemon to be honest. (A guru even says they live in pokeballs)

Decorations: I am getting a distinct Gothic Fantasy and it feels like Beautiful Creatures. Harry Potter has the bad guys exclusively be Gothic.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I am not seeing Hogwarts at all really. Maybe a bit of Diagon Alley; but I think they got inspiration from many different story, lores, pop culture, etc...I think it better that way as it leaves it up to the players to decide what they want. I mean Harry Potter is not the only series with magic and not the first. I am sure there will be plenty of people wanting to make Harry Potter sims (there is already tons of cc out there); but not everyone is a fan and this allows players to create their own stories.
    Though hard not to call this cutie a Newt Scamander reference. sims-4-realm-magic.jpg
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I wish it was, read all harry potter books,loved the films,even the games and movie soundtrack music <3
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I agree about it being a more modern magic thing. Personally myself I love the old lore versions. not the more modern version. I do however see the JK Rowlings in it too (personally I like her Strike books better).
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    Yeah. I feel it has a Harry Potter feel to it when you enter the Realm
  • EchovaEchova Posts: 144 Member
    Reminds me more of Magic Town what with needing a portal to get there. I’m glad it isn’t like Harry Potter as I dislike the franchise and writer.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I'm surprised that there's no hats and that the magic world looks scifi.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Sci fi...? It looks heavily fantasy to me...

Sci fi...? It looks heavily fantasy to me...

I think it has a little bit of both. The buildings look like magic, the background is space. I did not expect this mix but it is growing on me.
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Not sure what a goblin market is, but somehow with a name like that I expect it to involve goblins and not just humans/sims. ;)
    Anyway, there are bound to be many versions of magical markets in various books and movies. I think they went for a mixture of different views.

I saw Goblin Market because of the Ghost and the Sims with green and red skin colors, which struck me as other than human. Since we can't make proper goblins (yet) within the Sims, that will have to do. And it felt busier than I pictured Diagon Alley - which is more shops you go into than booths where people are actively hawking stuff. Maybe because I also think of the Bazaar on Daeva as a Goblin Market, even though that's technically a Demon (short for Dimension Hopper) market. (Real old fiction reference there... )

Why? Because it's in space? I've never been of the Space = Sci-Fi mindset. Space is a setting. Sci-Fi requires a base coat of Science. It looks very fantasy/Urban Fantasy to me.