Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Miss the Repo Man?

Comments

• Options
    purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    I liked the repo man more than utilities getting turned off.
    I think getting utilities cut off is more realistic and I like that, but I do miss the repo man taking the toilet or 1 random dining chair haha
  • Options
    CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    It being a two stage event would make more sense, first your utilities are shut off, and if you still don't pay, here comes the repo man, would feel more real, don't pay? we'll take it away (eventually)!
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Utilities getting turned off is better.
    We need 'Other'. I fall into 'Other'. I do like the system of the utilities being cut-off, which is like RL. On the other hand, I loved the antics of the Repo Sim showing up. I once had a maid steal the toilet because my Sims' finances were low, and the working Sim hadn't yet returned from work with their paycheck!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I already voted and commented but I had to say every time this thread pops up I hear "Do you know the muffin man?" in my head. I had to share, maybe I infected some other folks :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    Repo technically is illegal - people cannot come into your house and legally just take stuff. We also have laws to defend our property here - so it would never be wise. Legally and safely It has to be done in a courtroom if it is in your home and for the court to tell you to pay up or give the item back to the creditor. Usually there are police involved in the process on your property. In the USA though it is never smart to go onto someones property and try and take stuff. I believe the only thing a repo person can actually take off of your property is a vehicle in the USA. They cannot even go in your garage to do it either from my understanding and usually have a court order to remove the vehicle if it is in your drive way.

I do like the fact they shut off water and lights when the bills are not paid - that is realistic and legal.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I believe the only thing a repo person can actually take off of your property is a vehicle in the USA.
    Well then, that explains why they aren't in the game
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I already voted and commented but I had to say every time this thread pops up I hear "Do you know the muffin man?" in my head. I had to share, maybe I infected some other folks :).
    Oh, do you miss the repo man? The repo man, the repo man. Oh, do you miss the repo man?
    Thanks now that's going to get stuck in my head for the rest of the day
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @Vampris Bwahaha, my work is done!
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    DUDE the repoman was the worst lol. I remember sitting there, helpless, watching him use that vacuum to take away my precious stove, or trash can, or bed, or toilet. He made me so mad lol.

Also utilities being shut off is way more realistic than a man gathering his collateral via taking your couch and telephone.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Personally I never liked the repo man appearing and always made sure my sims paid their bills on time which I don’t have this with the power switching off and will forget to pay bills more often
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I'd like to have both, actually. If bills aren't paid after losing power and water, then the repoman comes. But he should only take one or two things, max. Would be nice that if we ever get cars, the repoman could tow them away.
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I certainly find the repo man funnier! Saying that, I'm pretty good at paying the bills as I normally try to do it when the notification about the mail being delivered has popped up.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

... do you miss the repo man, the repo man, the repo man...
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Repo technically is illegal - people cannot come into your house and legally just take stuff. We also have laws to defend our property here - so it would never be wise. Legally and safely It has to be done in a courtroom if it is in your home and for the court to tell you to pay up or give the item back to the creditor. Usually there are police involved in the process on your property. In the USA though it is never smart to go onto someones property and try and take stuff. I believe the only thing a repo person can actually take off of your property is a vehicle in the USA. They cannot even go in your garage to do it either from my understanding and usually have a court order to remove the vehicle if it is in your drive way.

While this is all true, I think part of the fun of the repo man is nostalgia. Malcolm Landgraab came around in Bustin' Out and took stuff with a reversed leaf blower as part of the storyline. Then he was replaced by a repoman in subsequent games, probably as a nod to Malcolm.
    Like a lot of other things, it just feels weird not having it this time around I guess.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    LunaSimmerLunaSimmer Posts: 16 Member
    YES!!! It was actually interesting in my opinion, even though he would vacuum away the strangest objects haha
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    double post
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited August 2019
    Utilities being turned off doesn’t mean much when you can just take your sims to the gym to shower and the park to eat. Repo man isn’t wholly unrealistic either.

That's actually a fair point, I just hate him because there's no way to get rid of him and I always forget to pay my bills. I think there was a lifetime aspiration in sims 3 for no bills? I ALWAYS got that thing as soon as I could, I genuinely forgot every time.

There was no way to get rid of him either If I recall. Deleting him could possibly mess up your game and he could go through walls. At least with burglars you could buy an alarm or call the police. There was no option to bribe the repo man or pay your bill lol.

Now personally, if you have to pay to use venues that'd be a great thing IMO, there are mods for it but it should be standard.

I actually modded my sims 3 so that I have to pay to use the taxi/subway system so that saving up for a car should actually be a priority, just like in real life.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Why is everyone talking about utilities being more "realistic" since when was The Sims realistic? LMAO

• Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Why is everyone talking about utilities being more "realistic" since when was The Sims realistic? LMAO

This
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I do miss the repo man and I like utilities being shut off, so if I had a choice I would want both. I wouldn't mind an option for a property to go into a foreclosure however and I badly miss burglars, so if I had to choose being repo and burglar, I would pick burglars.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I like... both I think? Haha.
    As it stands right now, after the utilities are off, nothing happens. Would be cool if the first things to go were the utilities, and if you don't pay after that, the repo man shows up.

I have to agree I like both as well. I like the idea of utilities being shut off but I would like to see the repo man come and take stuff to pay off the bills too.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I miss the repo man lol. I would love to see both loss of utilities and the repo man. I would have also loved a huge fee to get your utilities back on. I love the idea of forcing some of my sims to off the grid for a while due to lack of money to get the utilities back on. It is so hard to lose money in this game. I have a few millionaires without even cheating.
  • Options
    hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    I've only played Sims 4, but I like things the way they are.
    I've only played Sims 4, and Repo Man sounds annoying. I don't like that they can take whatever they want, what if they get something valuable or irreplaceable? No thanks, utilities turned off sounds much better.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I've only played Sims 4, but the repo man sounds better.
    Does the repo man bring back the items when you've paid the bills, or are they gone forever?
  • Options
    Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    It's will mess up layout of item if repo man enter house and took stuff without know after hard work layout with many item in house, so no.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    @CaprianaB The items are gone forever, which is why the repo man is so hated. Like the burglar and being eaten by cowplants, it was both horrible and kind of funny at the same time.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports