Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you pick names for your Sims?

Comments

• Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Using the random generator in CAS.
    I typically have a surname picked out and will random the first name through CAS.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Few of the above.
    I have an old baby name book, so sometimes I use that. More often I'll pick a "cool word" and use it as a name, or use an unusual name I heard somewhere. Sometimes I click through the randomizer until it gives me an interesting choice. If I'm having multiple children in a family, I'll pick a theme and look up names that go with my theme. I especially like giving Sims names that I'd never give a real person.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    None of the above.
    I use a random name generator called behind the name. It's got basically everything.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Few of the above.
    I use some favorite names that I keep in mind and also popular names I find online that I like the sound of.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    All of the above.
    It depends on the family. Some families I make have a certain culture or heritage so I give them names that fit that. Some families have very classic names and some families like to choose unique names for their kids and some times I just use the random name generator until I find a name that fits. I have a list of names I love and I also utilize nameberry and google for finding names with themes.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    Simlie20Simlie20 Posts: 59 Member
    Few of the above.
    I usually look at my sims and I'm like: she looks like a Dominique, he looks like a Frederic, etc. If not I just randomize or sometimes search on the internet for specific names with specific meanings that can contribute to the storyline I am giving them.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    None of the above.
    In past saves I have had a theme going. In one legacy, the surname of the founder when she married was Crystal. So all their 5 children had gemstone related names. When the males married this theme continued. When the females married they took on a new surname. For example one of the second gen girls married a man called David Danger. With the surname being Danger the first girl was named Lillith (after the demon) and actually inherited black hair and her sister was called Ivy (as in Poison Ivy) and she actually inherited red hair which was really cool. So I tend to have themes like that going.

In my current save my legacy sim is yet to marry and I need to think of a surname with a theme of the sim I want her to marry. It's kinda fun to have a theme.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Searching for a name with a meaning, associating with their personality/origin/career/hobby etc.
    I spend a great deal of time coming up with names for my sims. Sometimes I have to give them a temporary name until I come up with something appropriate.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I usually just go with a name from the top of my head, though this is often tailored according to the house's makeup and the feel I'm wanting to go for. I often give a family or a neighborhood an ethnic feel, using all English or all Italian or all Arab names. (I have to use the internet for the latter, of course...I know a few because of my city's Arabic, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi immigration populations, but not THAT many.)
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Few of the above.
    It has been pretty common for me since sims2 to assign each household in my rotational save a letter, and every child born in that household's name starts with that letter. Sometimes I pick a theme for each household instead (like plant names, or tv shows, or celebrities, so some of your categories but only some of the time). I never have done the same theme for an entire save, just individual households.

Also I tend to do cheesy matching twin names. My personal favorite pair is Father Winter's twin daughters, Holly and Ivy.

Mostly, I love names and I write fiction and I have lots of names in my head. I generally don't have to go looking for inspiration. The theme per household thing helps me narrow it down so I'm not trying to pick out of every name I've ever heard.
  • Options
    KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    I have names that I have used since I started playing Sims 3. I end up using them sometimes in random orders, sometimes
    not so random. Like for example. I always name my sims first daughter Amberle. If its twins, its always Amberle, and Ashle.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Few of the above.
    It depends on how I'm feeling. Majority of the time I Google baby names, or use names that I've heard irl that sound cool. Sometimes I try to match a sims name to a color that I later pretend is their favorite color, sometimes I base it on parents personality or aspiration.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited July 2019
    Few of the above.
    Idk I like mismatching names from characters and actors and such

like for example i could look at poirot series names and pick felicity lemon and arthur hastings
    but i'd mismatch it into felicity hastings or arthur lemon
    just for the sake of not giving my sims the exact name

usually I end up with rather long english names though
    for the aesthetic

Don't really use randomize button
    I just feel those names don't suit my sims

also for surnames I might also use world names
    like if i were to start family in willow creek it would just be creek or something

or then i get mega lazy and just put ''sim''
    (which actually is often the main legacys surname so its easy to tell apart from other families)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    Searching for a name with a meaning, associating with their personality/origin/career/hobby etc.
    I picked this option because it's what I do most of the time but I'm not averse to randomizing a name or using a generator. I like naming aliens after stars and constellations, and mermaids after fish/shark genera.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    None of the above.
    Usually, I choose names that start with the same letter as their mom (girls) or dad (boys).
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Few of the above.
    So it very much depends on the save. For my 100 baby challenge I tend to randomize but for my legacy style family I try to come up with names myself. I’ll look up names if I get stuck too.
  • Options
    lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited July 2019
    Using some favorite names I keep in mind.
    I rarely use the randomizer for first names, but I use it a lot for surnames. For first names I tend to use names that I like or that sound good in my opinion. However if I want a surname from another country, I usually google it, e.g. "Italian surname starting with letter..."
  • Options
    damselstonedamselstone Posts: 21 Member
    Few of the above.
    I think I used to be way more into creating people I know, so would use real names. These days I'll try and be a little more imaginative and come up with names I haven't really heard before.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Few of the above.
    I use whatever name pops up in my head that fits whatever naming convention I'm using first. If that fails, it's BehindTheName.com or the CAS Randomizer, depending on the convention and age of the sim.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Few of the above.
    I either think of ones, use the randomizer, or look some up usually.
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Few of the above.
    Mostly these
    Using some favorite names I keep in mind.
    Using the random generator in CAS.
    Using lists of popular names in the internet and picking the ones I like the sound of.
  • Options
    MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Few of the above.
    I usually do a theme. One save has all Doctor Who themed names for children born to the heir.
    In another, all children born get a name starting with A.
    Stuff like that. They're Sims. I make it fun.
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    All of the above.
    I'm all over the place tbh. It really depends on the situation for me, like if the sim I'm thinking of making has a unique character trait or origin that I want to emphasize, then I'll look up names online till I find one i like the meaning of. But I do all of those things honestly. I think mostly i just hit the randomizer till I find something I like, or something that makes me think of a different name I've heard and liked the sound of. I look at baby name websites a lot so I have a lot of names in my head :)
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    All of the above.
    I use this website a lot:

https://www.behindthename.com/
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Few of the above.
    Me too. It's really useful.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4