Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you pick names for your Sims?

Comments

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Few of the above.
    I have a list on my laptop especially, for sims.
    It has names I've seen or heard anywhere that I like or some I've come up with inspired by some other name.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    None of the above.
    @Becka28 Glad the madness of my method has inspired you.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Searching for a name with a meaning, associating with their personality/origin/career/hobby etc.
    I mostly like to pick names with a meaning but many times they're not actual names - just words that I decide to use as a name.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Using the random generator in CAS.
    I'm lazy with names.. and I tend to forget the ones I think of..
    I installed the game in English on purpose to have the English name list instead of the Italian one.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    If i dont care the ethnicity of my sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Using lists of popular names in the internet and picking the ones I like the sound of.
    In my country we have calendar with names in it. There are one or two names paired with a date. Marcela's name day is every year on April 20th. Etc. I simply go through the whole calendar and usually pick names taht aren't used taht much in my country.

If it is a foreign name I always google a top names list.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Few of the above.
    It depends. Most of my Sims are based on my OCs, and I sometimes plan their future kids' names in advance. Other times, I just randomise something. And I do have a list of punny names that I'm saving for exactly the right Sim. (Like my future legacy/dynasty founder... XD)

With Sims based on fictional characters, I usually spend several minutes/hours/days (yes, days) agonising over which sorts of names the parents would choose before finally picking something I'm not 100% happy with. Yep. (Unless I happen to be on another lot. Then the randomiser takes care of it.) :/
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    Few of the above.
    I spend a ridiculous amount of effort into choosing the right names for my sims. I've had a notebook since TS1 that I've kept all my favourite names in (and some random ones), they're organised into alphabetical order, and then I have sections for 'theme' names, like from particular countries, or sports stars, or now Hawaiian type names since Sulani… and then I go through and choose the one that sounds right for my new sim. I used to generally pick similar names, but I've started trying to pick names that I would never normally choose, and I'm really liking that. It's a bit of a weird obsession of mine choosing names, but it keeps me happy ;)
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Few of the above.
    Unless I'm playing a specific set of Sims from, say, a TV show, I just hit randomize on the names until I hit a name I feel is suitable for the Sim.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,325 Member
    All of the above.
    I make a lot of sims. I think I've used every method on that list by now.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
    None of the above.
    I had my own tradition for naming kids ever since TS2, maybe even TS1.

A child's name will start and end with minimum 1 character from 2 of its grandparents. Normally I try to make that 2 or 3 characters, because then it feels like they bring on a more obvious part of their heritage. Some names are weird, sometimes I use a baby naming site to find alternatives.

There is a rigid system of which grandparent should be named after, too, depending on child's gender as well as it's number in the line of siblings.

Say:

dad was son of
    Abraham & Lucille

mom was daughter of
    Leophold & Belinda

Kids must be named as

1st son: Leo...ham
    2nd son: Abr...old
    3rd son: Bel...ham
    4th son: Luc...old

1st daughter: Luc...nda
    2nd daughter: Bel...lle
    3rd daughter: Abr...nda
    4th daughter: Leo...lle

"..." can be any number of any characters. Tradition is seen as followed even if only first and last character is passed on.
    Note that boys names always gets the ending of a male's name, while girls always get the ending of a female's name. In the past I mixed the two, and it was always hard to find boy's name ending with "lla".

Of course I never have 8 kids in a family, but hey ... better be prepared if it should happen :)

Ha ha - nerdy? Me? Noooooo! ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Few of the above.
    Randomizer, names I like, and sometimes ones with meanings.

Mostly randomizer though, since the last time I "prepared" a name for a baby, his brother ended up "looking" like the name than he did LOL. Story-wise, they'll usually have meaningful names. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    I really don't have a method, but for twins I always make them have the same first letter in their names like Chloe and Callie lol idk
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    Few of the above.
    When I'm trying for realism I choose a name based on the personalities of the sim's parents and what i think they would choose to name their chikdren - that's how most people's names are chosen IRL
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Mostly I randomize in CAS. Usually I do that until something fits (or almost fits) the sim I have made and then change it a bit or get inspired and throw out some name that comes to my mind from the randomized one.
    But if I name a baby in game then I usually make up the name myself, sometimes even searching online something that's perfect. :>
    origin ID: adduapina
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I just use the random button in cas until I find a name I'm happy with.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I'm horrible at coming up with names. So I just keep pressing it until it's not some weird CL name.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Since I've started to run out of ideas, I mostly use random names these days.
  • LivelyswordLivelysword Posts: 2 New Member
    I have used a couple of methods for naming Sims.. but the easiest is when you create a sim from someone in real life, you want that name attached to the sim.. such as your favorite actor or actress or musician ect.. if you want Brad Pitt in your game and you create a sim or download anothers creation, its going to be named Brad Pitt.. LOL as far as making no real world sims for your game.. I use such internet sites as baby names, where they have thousands to pick from.. or you can hit the name generator over and over till you see something you like.. takes time, but it often gives you something your happy with.. if you wanted names for say goth sims.. simply google it, same with vampire names.. just google, find a site which has some names to pick from or which generates names..
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Few of the above.
    It depends on my mood. I use the random button, ask my kids to name the sim, or I decided on a name before ever creating the new sim.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Few of the above.
    Using some favorite names I keep in mind.
    Using lists of popular names in the internet and picking the ones I like the sound of.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    Searching for a name with a meaning, associating with their personality/origin/career/hobby etc.
    Every so often I will randomize a name if I REALLY can't think of one, or if I know they will not be my heir (as I usually play legacy-style). Usually I choose a name that means something whether it's the literal meaning or it just sounds like it fits what I want it to mean lol.

For example, I'm currently playing alexis3142's MySims Legacy Challenge and the first generation is based off Chef Gino. I named my founder Gianna. Second generation is based off of DJ Candy, and Gianna had twin girls, one of whom would be heir. I named them Melody and Viola. Viola's daughter is based on Elmira Clamp, so I named her Mira. So in this save, it's so far a mix or things that "sound like" the theme of the generation, or actual terms/names that fit within the theme.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Using some favorite names I keep in mind.
    The names in this game are very American so, where possible, I go for some good old-fashioned names I grew up with in 1970s England.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited July 2019
    Few of the above.
    I usually try to use the first letter of names that the game gives townies. I used to get a lot of male townies named Genji Yamaguchi and Genji Watanabe so they were given new names like Greyson, Grant, or Graham and surnames like Wagner, Wallace, or Wayne. Sometimes I use online name generators or lists of cultural given and surnames.

Many of the Sulani natives that are being generated in my game right now will be re-named soon. I have several male Sims with the first name Fuifui, Afu, and Rua. Surnames are all over the place ranging from one syllable to five.

On the other hand, when I see a Sim named Hadley Davies, Elyse Buck, or Pace Atkins walking down the beach in Sulani, I can bank on those being Aliens. And they were.
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I keep clicking the randomizer button until a name that suits the sim pops up.
    Laugh out loud. Often