Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the point???

DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
Ok..this has been bugging me for quite a while but i really need to ask: why does the game have this urge to flood the world with dozens of random generated trash sims??? each time most of the roles they are supposed to fill are taken by premade sims while the randoms swarm the world in droves pretty much dominating everything and it is really starting to get on my nerves!

I don't want to talk or know them yet the game keeps trying to force them onto (i already avoid places like the new Sulani bar atm because if i go there i get literally swamped by them trying to force themselves onto my aquaintances list against my will) me while i hardly ever see the sims who actually have a story in the game and the ones i do actually want to interact with. why are those stupid randoms not doing what they are made for to do? and why even spawn them in the first place if the game is gonna use already existing sims to fulfill most of the roles anyways (except ofc DJ...have to often remove their celebrity level because i don't want random generated celebs in my games.)

i just generally dislike the randoms because they are Always the same old weirdos, they have nothing to them like any form of story of personality...they are just there yet they pretty much dominate the whole game if you even visit one public lot because the game spawns tons of them at once and it is driving me nuts atm. tone it down with the random trash PLEASE!! because (in my experience at least) as it is now if there are 10 sims on a lot at least 7 of them are random generated sims! and the 3 premades are often stall vendors/ bartenders on said lot! at least give us an option to ban random generated sims from hanging out if not doing something useful. i myself don't like how dominant they are atm and i am pretty sure i am not the only one who dislikes them because of this (i already didn't care about them but now they get on my nerves)

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Sharonia I'd *love* to be able to edit categories and whether something is available for random for Maxis content like we can for CC in S4S!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    They are just meant to make the world feel populated I think?

I don't generally mind the idea of random spawning sims personally, I like my worlds to appear populated. In the Sims 4 though I feel it's implemented very poorly. The game is creating way to many of them for one and they mostly always come with awful foreign sounding names that I can't pronounce or remember and outfits that look like they came from the local joke shop.

I'd rather have less of them that are at least semi decently dressed, no random top hats, turbans, eyeballs rings or anything else that just looks hideous and with names that I can remember so they can feel familiar to me.

this is why i create townies of my own. i don't need the game to spawn a dozen of those pearshaped creepy elders trying to force a romace bar with my young adult females against my will yet even if i use my own creations the game STILL spawns tons of those freaky ones and overprioretizes them over both premades and my own creations. and besides, the game has plenty of premade sims atm to make the world feel alive but they are all losing their jobs because the game uses them as work NPC's, a role those randoms are supposed to fulfill, yet they never do: all they do is stalk my sims to the point where i get annoyed by it because i don't want them bothering my sims all day.

• Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    It's been that way since the start. Except back then there were less accessories, so they didn't dress as horribly as they do now.
    Anyway, if you have a full, well rounded save, I'm pretty sure the game will generate fewer random Sims. Also good to know is that there are more NPC roles than just service Sims like bartenders and DJs. You have Selvadorada natives, Sulani natives, barflies, fake vampires, city weirdos, etc. Those don't seem to have any specific role, but they are coded to certain behaviours or have special interactions that other Sims don't have. Another thing that increases NPC generation is the fact that many NPC jobs have shifts, for example gym trainers and bartenders, as well as spa staff, all work in 3 shifts, so the game will generate 3 Sims for each role, if you stay on a community lot long enough. And those service NPC's are tied to that specific community lot, they won't likely be doing the same job on a different community lot of the same type. I do think that city festivals and Windenburg raves are more like freelance venues for the existing bartenders, but I might be wrong about that. And there's probably much more to say about how and why the game generates random Sims, but these are some of the basics.
    What you can do, is go into manage worlds, enter the cas.fulleditmode cheat, take the randomly generated Sims into CAS and change their looks to your liking - a lot of people do that.
    Alternatively, there are mods that help with townie management/reduce randomly generated Sims. First is, of course, MC Command Center, second is NPC Control. I'm sure there are more mods, but these two (in combination) are the most used.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ok..this has been bugging me for quite a while but i really need to ask: why does the game have this urge to flood the world with dozens of random generated trash sims??? each time most of the roles they are supposed to fill are taken by premade sims while the randoms swarm the world in droves pretty much dominating everything and it is really starting to get on my nerves!

I don't want to talk or know them yet the game keeps trying to force them onto (i already avoid places like the new Sulani bar atm because if i go there i get literally swamped by them trying to force themselves onto my aquaintances list against my will) me while i hardly ever see the sims who actually have a story in the game and the ones i do actually want to interact with. why are those stupid randoms not doing what they are made for to do? and why even spawn them in the first place if the game is gonna use already existing sims to fulfill most of the roles anyways (except ofc DJ...have to often remove their celebrity level because i don't want random generated celebs in my games.)

i just generally dislike the randoms because they are Always the same old weirdos, they have nothing to them like any form of story of personality...they are just there yet they pretty much dominate the whole game if you even visit one public lot because the game spawns tons of them at once and it is driving me nuts atm. tone it down with the random trash PLEASE!! because (in my experience at least) as it is now if there are 10 sims on a lot at least 7 of them are random generated sims! and the 3 premades are often stall vendors/ bartenders on said lot! at least give us an option to ban random generated sims from hanging out if not doing something useful. i myself don't like how dominant they are atm and i am pretty sure i am not the only one who dislikes them because of this (i already didn't care about them but now they get on my nerves)

I agree! My main game has a huge rotation, over 150 sims. And I would like to see more of them at lots. I have to hunt to find one or two to talk to. When one of my sims has something it needs to do for their job, like practice mischief on 5 different sims it is hard not to have to include random townies unless I invite a lot of friends to the community lot ( which I don’t want to have to always do). I want my sims to get to know other sims in my rotation and not all the random townie sims. But, I get tired of dressing townies up and saving them, because the game culls them in favor of more random townies. And, I would love my sims to come across more sims in my rotation than random townies. I understand that some would rather have their sims meet random townies, but I would love to see a button in options for each save where you could pick your preference.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It's been that way since the start. Except back then there were less accessories, so they didn't dress as horribly as they do now.
    Anyway, if you have a full, well rounded save, I'm pretty sure the game will generate fewer random Sims. Also good to know is that there are more NPC roles than just service Sims like bartenders and DJs. You have Selvadorada natives, Sulani natives, barflies, fake vampires, city weirdos, etc. Those don't seem to have any specific role, but they are coded to certain behaviours or have special interactions that other Sims don't have. Another thing that increases NPC generation is the fact that many NPC jobs have shifts, for example gym trainers and bartenders, as well as spa staff, all work in 3 shifts, so the game will generate 3 Sims for each role, if you stay on a community lot long enough. And those service NPC's are tied to that specific community lot, they won't likely be doing the same job on a different community lot of the same type. I do think that city festivals and Windenburg raves are more like freelance venues for the existing bartenders, but I might be wrong about that. And there's probably much more to say about how and why the game generates random Sims, but these are some of the basics.
    What you can do, is go into manage worlds, enter the cas.fulleditmode cheat, take the randomly generated Sims into CAS and change their looks to your liking - a lot of people do that.
    Alternatively, there are mods that help with townie management/reduce randomly generated Sims. First is, of course, MC Command Center, second is NPC Control. I'm sure there are more mods, but these two (in combination) are the most used.

i am aware of this :) my problem is that they are too dominant atm: wherever i go, the vast majority of sims visiting is random generated sims… why do the Selvadorada and Sulani natives visit the nightclub in Windenburg tho?? or swarm my sims wherever they go? so you say they are Gym trainers? wrong because the game Always uses Suraya Delgato, Marcus Flex or Don Lothario as gym trainers in all of my games instead of randoms (which i actually don't mind because i'd rather be friends with them thaqn those stupid randoms) bar tenders? nope, often Zoe Patel, Lilith Vatore or Summer Holiday. all that randoms do in my games is haunt my sim's every step.

I had so much fun with jungle adventures, but nowadays i avoid going there anymore just because it floods the bin with tons of the weirdest looking native sims which after my vacation swarm the home world as well. half of these problems would already be solved if the sims spawned for roles would actually do what they are supposed to do and if say the Selvadorada natives would stick to Selvadorada and not also swarm every single other world as well pressing the premades and sims i created and housed even more to the background.
    Post edited by DanmanNefarius on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I agree! My main game has a huge rotation, over 150 sims. And I would like to see more of them at lots. I have to hunt to find one or two to talk to. When one of my sims has something it needs to do for their job, like practice mischief on 5 different sims it is hard not to have to include random townies unless I invite a lot of friends to the community lot ( which I don’t want to have to always do). I want my sims to get to know other sims in my rotation and not all the random townie sims. But, I get tired of dressing townies up and saving them, because the game culls them in favor of more random townies

Exactly! i feel the same way and this is a problem i encounter more and more: the game doesn't just generate tons of them, but the second problem is: the game favors them too heavily over premades/own created townies. i am tired of all my games being the same old my Kaylynn Langerak (i use her very often as my active since she is my fave) being harrassed all day by Genji Ghomari, Medhi el Khouri and Genji Yamamoto (almost Always pearshaped old creeps and don't get me started on their outfits or hairdos….ughhh!) while Zoe Patel, one of my most beloved premades is the bartender just standing there every single time again!>.<

and i did the whole cas.fulledit mode makeover thing for a while: when i launch the game i want to play the game, not wasting hours giving all those abominations makeovers just for the game to spawn new ones over and over
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    I usually go into Manage Worlds and edit the heck out of the Sims in the bin. I turn on cas.fulleditmode, select unplayed Sims not in world, then either give them makeovers (if I like their name or face, or if I've seen them specifically a few times) or delete them. The game will generate more Sims, so the purge is a regular part of gameplay and it is frustrating having to do it so often, but it's more frustrating letting them stay and increase.

Has anyone tried populating their game to the limit? Just stuff the game, houses and otherwise, with Sims from the gallery?
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Has anyone tried populating their game to the limit? Just stuff the game, houses and otherwise, with Sims from the gallery?

done that, game still mass spawns them and like i said: the game overprioretizes them over said premades and housed own creations. public lot still gets swarmed with randoms while all those sims you worked on to create almost never show up unless as working NPC's

and sure, if you enjoy giving all of them makeovers all the power to you ;) but i myself want to play the game instead of sitting in CAS 2/3rd of my playtime because the game spawns so many of them so fast. i swear visit the new bar in Sulani for a few ingame hours? the game will have generated over 20 of them already! and you'll hardly ever see any of your own sims or the premades ever again, just those random trash all day long swarming your sim to force themselves onto you!

and this is with houses all filled which i pretty much always do because i don't feel much for the game also stocking all the empty houses with that vermin as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    just like the game i am in now: I live in Sulani...stuck to my house because wherever i go in the new world i get non-stop stalked by random generated sims to the point where it really gets on my nerves: they just keep on trying to force themselves onto my sims non-stop endlessly forcing me to cut the conversations non-stop before they are shoved down my throat and will begin the endless spam of phonecalls to hang out and such -.- another major headache imo! and who are in the food stalls?? yup, one of the premade new sims (the elder shaman/witch doctor woman most of the times) and the (very cute!!!) mermaid girl from the trailer! and i have to keep the doors locked because if i don't said random generated pests will even barge into my own house trying to dominate even my private lot as well... if the game has this urge to spawn them for roles they never even fulfill so'll be it... but at least stop overprioritizing them to the point where premades and my own created unplayed sims are as good as irrelevant because the lots keep getting swarmed with those random generated pests
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited July 2019
    I agree.. at some point these random generated sims going out of control. I do not understand how this can be a continuing problem in the series. I expect more from The sims 4 on this matter.

If I check the list of random sims in my game, most of them are either very fat with tiny skirts/shorts, ridiculous hair/skin color combinations, creepy adults living with an unrelated child or races and their facial features are out of logic etc. PLS at least give us acceptable creatures that make sense. Why not implant a few of these random sims with every update or EP like how townies has an actual look and story glued to them.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    They are just meant to make the world feel populated I think?

I don't generally mind the idea of random spawning sims personally, I like my worlds to appear populated. In the Sims 4 though I feel it's implemented very poorly. The game is creating way to many of them for one and they mostly always come with awful foreign sounding names that I can't pronounce or remember and outfits that look like they came from the local joke shop.

I'd rather have less of them that are at least semi decently dressed, no random top hats, turbans, eyeballs rings or anything else that just looks hideous and with names that I can remember so they can feel familiar to me.

this is why i create townies of my own. i don't need the game to spawn a dozen of those pearshaped creepy elders trying to force a romace bar with my young adult females against my will yet even if i use my own creations the game STILL spawns tons of those freaky ones and overprioretizes them over both premades and my own creations. and besides, the game has plenty of premade sims atm to make the world feel alive but they are all losing their jobs because the game uses them as work NPC's, a role those randoms are supposed to fulfill, yet they never do: all they do is stalk my sims to the point where i get annoyed by it because i don't want them bothering my sims all day.

I've started deleting the worst looking randoms and giving the decent looking ones makeovers so their clothes look better and they don't have silly vampire hair styles or anything, they also get new names as well. I'm actually wondering how I can set mcccc to make it so less of them spawn in my game. I might have to do some googling about it later. I'm fairly new to using mccc so it still confuses me a bit.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the random townies either. I understand that they are there to make worlds feel populated and to fill roles, but as others have pointed out the execution could be a lot better. My townies often have names I cannot pronounce and don't fit their appearance - which also tends to be worthy of the fashion police and/or unsuitable e.g. doctors wearing jewellery etc. It's a nuisance, but I just routinely delete them. I'm a control freak like that.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'm greatly amused when you call them pests and vermin, because they are. Even on the private lots on Mua Pel'am, I can't be totally rid of them. Another problem with spawning random sims for "roles" is the issue with single child households, made for the family/kid festival in Sulani. It is really out of control.

I am one of those that do make overs once in a while, and have actually found some gems on rare occasion. I also delete a few of the worst offenders, especially if they wear that horrible eyeball ring :# I want to remove that thing from my game so bad. I also change names quite often, because most of the names are very unfamiliar to me, and I can't properly pronounce most of them, or even know HOW they are pronounced. So tired of the same few asian names over and over. Its not something I'm used to.

Eaxis has always pushed "friendships" on our sims, not so much in TS1/2, but it escalated in TS3 and its gotten a lot worse in TS4. "So you're an art critic, or a style influencer and need to recommend a hangout or interview someone for your job task? Nope, nuhuhh, can't do without knowing that sim first!" Personally, I find it intrusive. Makes it really hard to play a loner sim in this game, because its constantly pushing sims your way.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I agree.. at some point these random generated sims going out of control. I do not understand how this can be a continuing problem in the series. I expect more from The sims 4 on this matter.

If I check the list of random sims in my game, most of them are either very fat with tiny skirts/shorts, ridiculous hair/skin color combinations, creepy adults living with an unrelated child or races and their facial features are out of logic etc. PLS at least give us acceptable creatures that make sense. Why not implant a few of these random sims with every update or EP like how townies has an actual look and story glued to them.

this is a TS 4 problem if you ask me...

sure, we had these in TS 3 as well, but in that game they actually did what they were supposed to do: work NPC's while the premade townies were living in town. this was fine!

however in TS 4 it is the random generated sim that is living in town while the premades are the work NPC's ! i already don't like how massively they spawn if you're an outgoing simmer (which i was up to this point, now i am mostly gl;ued to my own lot because of this excessive random sim spawning) but i really despise how much the game seems to favor them over the actual housed population and keeps trying to force them into my sim's lives. what happened to the player decides whom he/she wants to befriend??? i don't need the game to choose them for me!

the outfitting however was already a problem in ts 3 tho: half of the random generated in ts 3 were Always wearing the bee keeper hats or the witches/wizards hats but yeah...at least they weren't all pearshaped young adults which made my gramps look like a young greek god!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    this screenshot is an example of what i mean: all three stall vendor NPC's are premade sims: the Shaman woman and two of the premade mermaids, and in the other one is the premade male mermaid btw..
    nVtQPWO.png

and while this is going on the random vermin is skittering around my lot hoping to catch my sims outside their safe zone! because if i didn't have my door locked...they would just barge in like they own the place and shoving themselves down my throat >.<
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member

this is a TS 4 problem if you ask me...

sure, we had these in TS 3 as well, but in that game they actually did what they were supposed to do: work NPC's while the premade townies were living in town. this was fine!

however in TS 4 it is the random generated sim that is living in town while the premades are the work NPC's ! i already don't like how massively they spawn if you're an outgoing simmer (which i was up to this point, now i am mostly gl;ued to my own lot because of this excessive random sim spawning) but i really despise how much the game seems to favor them over the actual housed population and keeps trying to force them into my sim's lives. what happened to the player decides whom he/she wants to befriend??? i don't need the game to choose them for me!

Ah yes, the original issue of the OP is a sims 4 thing. My comment was more directed to the terrible random look of these creatures which was honestly even worse in TS3 :D
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @Sharonia I'd *love* to be able to edit categories and whether something is available for random for Maxis content like we can for CC in S4S!

I'm not sure but I think you can do that with MCCC's Dresser module. As it is, you can easily go into Manage Households and modify outfits, or even delete Sims you don't want wandering around.

I pretty much ignore the game-generated townies unless I come across a particularly hideous one -- with a simple wardrobe and hairstyle change some of them turn out great -- or if I find one to be a good possibility for marriage or a less formal relationship.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Ah yes, the original issue of the OP is a sims 4 thing. My comment was more directed to the terrible random look of these creatures which was honestly even worse in TS3 :D

hahaha their outfits were indeed just as hideous in TS 3. Always the bee keeper hats XD it often made me laugh tbh but i agree: TS 3 was also terrible at outfitting new or aging sims!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I pretty much ignore the game-generated townies unless I come across a particularly hideous one -- with a simple wardrobe and hairstyle change some of them turn out great -- or if I find one to be a good possibility for marriage or a less formal relationship.

yeah haha unless you're more Lucky than me since 99.9 % of all the randoms i have seen were...well...as alluring as a box of manure, even with a better outfit, and if i even run into a hottie it is Always only females: the males are Always terrible imo Always the stupid pearshaped body and/or faces that only a blind mother could love… i'll just stick to Zoe Patel, Morgan Fyres, the paragon girls (i'd steal Bella but Morty is my bro, couldn't backstab him even tho Bella is quite the woman!) or if time goes on for long enough: Evie Delgato! because boy does she grow up into the cutest thing you ever saw! and with IL i also have grown very fond of the mermaid girl (Nalani something, the girl from the trailer).
    and in my Kaylynn games there is only one guy for her: Don Lothario! or in rare cases (sorry Siobhan!) Sergio Romeo (don't really like his personality but man does he make good looking nooboos with the right mates!)
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    I recently started a custom game set up that really cut down on the rando-generated, badly dressed weirdos. It took a bit of time to set it up, but worth it.

I should also mention I use MC Command Center for shuffling sims around, pairing them up for marriages and other stuff.

First I deleted every single game starting sim. EVERY SIM... Well, except father winter. Hohoho! This does of course get rid of the clubs, but the unplayed/NIW sims will create new clubs.

I then put families in most of the 3-5 BR houses selected from the gallery so the game doesn't put a rando single sim in a 5 BR house. I also do this for Newcrest after filling it with homes from the gallery.

Then search "townies" (there are a lot of interesting townie groups made by our fellow simmers) and put groups of 8 townies into empty lots then kick them all into Unplayed-Not In World. I did this with 8-10 groups so you start the game with a lot of NIW sims that will get randomly paired up for marriages and moved into homes. Like I said, this took some time to set up.

I really wish the game had a feature that would do all this - randomly place homes and characters in the world all selected from the gallery when starting a game. That would be amazing! Instant unique worlds each game start. If someone could make a mod that did all that, that would be greaaat :p

Of course the game will still generate random sims but not near as many after populating it with gallery sims.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Hmm, I don't generally have this problem. Obviously, my game generates randoms, but they are fairly normal when I do catch them. I see a LOT of the usual suspects though.
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    I wish that the game didn't auto-assign jobless premades to service positions.

I don't want to see Bella Goth bartending and I don't want Lilith Vatore to be a food stall vendor.

Those would be jobs tailor-fit for random townies, after all.
    They don't have any story, so give them some semblance of one by assigning them to such a role.
    At least I haven't had the game assign something like mail delivery sim or pizza delivery sim to a premade... yet!
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I use MCCC and it uses my library sims as the looks and names for any randomly generated townies. It's not perfect, but at least all my sims being generated are familiar sims to me (though it seems to still have a lot of island sims being generated, so maybe that needs to be tweaked in MCCC again).

The only thing I have to do is keep a good supply of my random sims, or random sims from the gallery that I like.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    the game has a population limit of 800, it increases every once in awhile. so you're gonna have randomly generated townies up until you hit that population limit. so if you wanna avoid townies without mods you need to increase how many sims you have in your save file. fill up the houses, fill up the empty lots, put in families, kick them out, over and over again until your savefile has a decent amount of sims. that's really the only way to avoid it tbh