September 17 - We just released a small patch for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac - click here for more details.
September 13 - It's Friday, so what do I have for you? A Friday Highlight - here!

Do you still have hope?

Comments

  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,311 Member
    No it’s to late
    I’m convinced the game with all packs installed is more fun than it is for me (3 EP’s and 4 GP’s). The thing is, because I have given up hope, I’m not prepared to invest in it any longer. That simply is an ingredient and a valid one people who did make the choice to buy it all will have to respect. A game, according to some, like me, should not need spending up to €600 on to become sort of fun. That for me defines hopeless. Especially since I see disappointment over and over again (and experienced it that one time I did have high hopes). Once bitten, twice shy.

    (and still, yet again, do I catch myself being slightly interested in and curious about the upcoming magic pack because it’s my kind of thing and Vampires were so very well done)
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited August 22
    No it’s to late
    Simburian wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

    What a nasty post. Is it all about the money for you? Your own remarks were uncalled for too. You don't know what extreme medicines can do to you and your state of mind. I do.

    Its about money when I buy a game that isn't complete, absolutely. I'm a consumer and expect that my hard earned money be spent on something up to standard. Go look at the base game launch and the buggy, barren GTW expansion and then come for me.

    Again, my own mother suffered cancer and I DO know how that can be. That was included in my previous posts. I'm not making "uncalled for" remarks, because the topic at hand is if we have hope for the game or not (which I don't and haven't past its first 2 years).
    I pointed out that health conditions don't excuse rudeness or are relevant to the topic, and they're not. I myself suffer from disabilities but I won't use that as an excuse to insult people because I like the game. Not at all. If I'm rude, thats just me being rude.

    Not only that, that member was fine once they got their family content and seemingly forgot that she was once providing feedback in this very same section and critiquing the game's lack of features. We are doing no different. Congrats to her for loving the game, but you don't get to insult others or be condescending because of your own reasons outside the game. Maybe in the Sims, but not in the real world.

    OT: Theres too much broken and buggy content that hasn't been fixed, so I don't have hope and would like to move on.

    Did you not buy anything after the first two years then? If you didn't I would consider her feelings about the game more relevant. I'm enjoying it with all the packs installed myself. It's improving all the time.

    I also do not have faith in them anymore to pay full price on any packs. I always wait for actual gameplay footage, because the trailers are seen as too deceiving and untrustworthy. We shall see if the next game pack is seen to be even worth $20. Sales come up often, even on newer packs, so I always wait it out if interested.
  • Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 105 Member
    Nope. Base game changes would have already happened by now. I think it's safe to say the Sims 4 is just going to continue being an empty shallow game until it's no longer supported. In other words, if you don't like Sims 4 now, you probably won't like it in 3 years either.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 10,394 Member
    edited August 23
    I don’t know i hope so
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I enjoy this game everyday - so hope is not a part of it. It is a great game and tons of fun. I don't get this need hope stuff. i wish all of my life was as fun as this game - really. I wonder though how sad, empty, or bad someones life is that thinks this is not a great game. Feel sad for you folks I really do - and the odd thing is i am fighting just to live and this game keeps me so happy all the time. Every new edition to it, every coming adventure and place to go that gets me away from reality is a Godsend for me. Like I am so excited for September 10th to get here and the new gp. I can hardly contain my joy and ideas and look forward to the new adventures in the game coupled with the many many things already happening in my game.

    But anyway - hope you all find what you are looking for or think you are missing as i just cannot imagine what. Happy simming.

    It is all about choices for many and not just one person, the game for me does not have anything to do with how one is doing in RL as far as status wise so it has nothing to do with being sad, empty or bad, looking at your assumption. If you get some kind of lift from playing an game then that is good for you but it is not the same for all.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    AMD 2700X 16 GB AMD Radeon 590 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB Recon PCIE 3D LG Ultrawide 34"
    AMD FX 8350 16 GB AMD Radeon 390 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB Z Samsung 27"
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 10,394 Member
    edited August 23
    I don’t know i hope so
    Simburian wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I wonder though how sad, empty, or bad someones life is that thinks this is not a great game. Feel sad for you folks I really do - and the odd thing is i am fighting just to live and this game keeps me so happy all the time. Every new edition to it, every coming adventure and place to go that gets me away from reality is a Godsend for me. Like I am so excited for September 10th to get here and the new gp. I can hardly contain my joy and ideas and look forward to the new adventures in the game coupled with the many many things already happening in my game.

    But anyway - hope you all find what you are looking for or think you are missing as i just cannot imagine what. Happy simming.

    I feel sorry for you, because you're going through something horrible. I wish you good health as well.

    That said, my own mother had cancer and was able to survive it, so don't make weird, rude, uncalled for, passive aggressive comments about the so-called "sad lives" that other people lead OVER A VIDEOGAME THAT THEY SPENT MONEY ON.

    Quite frankly, nobody has to consider your situation and not only is that off topic, but its a bad reflection on you. "I got mine so screw everyone else" is what I gather from your post, but not too long ago you were a dissatisfied family player voicing your opinions and concerns just like us. You're a petty person and you may not feel like you owe an apology, but you do.

    I have nothing more to say to someone who is attacking other members.

    What a nasty post. Is it all about the money for you? Your own remarks were uncalled for too. You don't know what extreme medicines can do to you and your state of mind. I do.

    More than a million watched the trailer so I have great hope that the game will get several more packs before it finishes. It's actual simplicity makes it much easier to play but it is getting more complex as it goes on.

    Hmmm, I see noting wrong with her post as the post she was referring to was not so nice as well, but you must have selectively ignored that.
    AMD 2700X 16 GB AMD Radeon 590 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB Recon PCIE 3D LG Ultrawide 34"
    AMD FX 8350 16 GB AMD Radeon 390 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB Z Samsung 27"
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 10,394 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Simburian wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »

    What a nasty post. Is it all about the money for you? Your own remarks were uncalled for too. You don't know what extreme medicines can do to you and your state of mind. I do.

    Its about money when I buy a game that isn't complete, absolutely. I'm a consumer and expect that my hard earned money be spent on something up to standard. Go look at the base game launch and the buggy, barren GTW expansion and then come for me.

    Again, my own mother suffered cancer and I DO know how that can be. That was included in my previous posts. I'm not making "uncalled for" remarks, because the topic at hand is if we have hope for the game or not (which I don't and haven't past its first 2 years).
    I pointed out that health conditions don't excuse rudeness or are relevant to the topic, and they're not. I myself suffer from disabilities but I won't use that as an excuse to insult people because I like the game. Not at all. If I'm rude, thats just me being rude.

    Not only that, that member was fine once they got their family content and seemingly forgot that she was once providing feedback in this very same section and critiquing the game's lack of features. We are doing no different. Congrats to her for loving the game, but you don't get to insult others or be condescending because of your own reasons outside the game. Maybe in the Sims, but not in the real world.

    OT: Theres too much broken and buggy content that hasn't been fixed, so I don't have hope and would like to move on.

    Did you not buy anything after the first two years then? If you didn't I would consider her feelings about the game more relevant. I'm enjoying it with all the packs installed myself. It's improving all the time.

    For you maybe but what you posted is subjective and since when is one opinion more important than another? Never!
    AMD 2700X 16 GB AMD Radeon 590 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB Recon PCIE 3D LG Ultrawide 34"
    AMD FX 8350 16 GB AMD Radeon 390 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB Z Samsung 27"
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 10,394 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I enjoy this game everyday - so hope is not a part of it. It is a great game and tons of fun. I don't get this need hope stuff. i wish all of my life was as fun as this game - really. I wonder though how sad, empty, or bad someones life is that thinks this is not a great game. Feel sad for you folks I really do - and the odd thing is i am fighting just to live and this game keeps me so happy all the time. Every new edition to it, every coming adventure and place to go that gets me away from reality is a Godsend for me. Like I am so excited for September 10th to get here and the new gp. I can hardly contain my joy and ideas and look forward to the new adventures in the game coupled with the many many things already happening in my game.

    But anyway - hope you all find what you are looking for or think you are missing as i just cannot imagine what. Happy simming.

    I’m sure you didn’t mean to write this as cruel as it reads. I recall you were highly critical of The Sims 4 before the switch flipped with the toddler update.

    Many people are still waiting for their equivalent of what that toddler update was for you, and their lives have nothing to do with the quality of EA’s work.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I enjoy this game everyday - so hope is not a part of it. It is a great game and tons of fun. I don't get this need hope stuff. i wish all of my life was as fun as this game - really. I wonder though how sad, empty, or bad someones life is that thinks this is not a great game. Feel sad for you folks I really do - and the odd thing is i am fighting just to live and this game keeps me so happy all the time. Every new edition to it, every coming adventure and place to go that gets me away from reality is a Godsend for me. Like I am so excited for September 10th to get here and the new gp. I can hardly contain my joy and ideas and look forward to the new adventures in the game coupled with the many many things already happening in my game.

    But anyway - hope you all find what you are looking for or think you are missing as i just cannot imagine what. Happy simming.

    I’m sure you didn’t mean to write this as cruel as it reads. I recall you were highly critical of The Sims 4 before the switch flipped with the toddler update.

    Many people are still waiting for their equivalent of what that toddler update was for you, and their lives have nothing to do with the quality of EA’s work.

    This has nothing to do with toddlers or two years ago. Read what I said. I fight every day just to stay alive and this game makes it easier for me - it make life bearable when you are fighting the worse cancer one can have. Like I said I cannot imagine what someone could have that was worse and not be able to see there is value in a game that can take you out of many horrible minutes - make you laugh and just take you out of the moment. I just do not get all these post thinking it is about them and other things. It is about me, my fight to live and just getting me through every day. You have no idea apparently. I definitely owe no one an apology for being ill and doing nothing to create my illness. Yeah cancer is cruel - you have no idea - I live it every day.

    Yeah. I do. So do many other people here.

    Good luck with your fight. I think, however, that stating that you cannot imagine how sad, empty or bad someone's life is that can't think this is a great game speaks more about your outlook than theirs.

    This is not a thread nor the forum to go on about our private lives so I'm very sorry if my post crosses that line, but this is very hurtful to me.

    I 100% agree with you. :)
    AMD 2700X 16 GB AMD Radeon 590 8 GB Rosewill Rise Full Tower SB Recon PCIE 3D LG Ultrawide 34"
    AMD FX 8350 16 GB AMD Radeon 390 8 GB Storm Trooper Full Tower SB Z Samsung 27"
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 751 EA Moderator
    Hello everyone, please remember to keep things friendly and constructive. There is no need to get personal with someone if you do not agree with them.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,736 Member
    edited August 23
    No it’s to late
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

    Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 6,999 Member
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

    Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

    I love how these senior producers are always looking ahead, but only in terms of selling DLC. Rather than pride over advancing this franchise through new means, they are proud of having more and more players on board after the game goes free or 5 bucks.

    Anyway, I think there is nothing wrong with starting a new base game every few years. Technology gets better, and sticking to the same foundation for so long only leads to problems, as I am sure the technical developers of the game know best. For instance, I love The Sims 2, and although I wish it were getting new content to this day, I understand it had to end to make way for the next thing. There is a ton of ways that this franchise could see new heights, success, and innovation, but I believe it's going to require the next base game to achieve that.

    But, in the mean time, I guess EA will continue milking it for what it's worth, even though things like simulation lag and lack of meaningful gameplay still run rampantly in this iteration.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 259 Member
    edited August 23
    No it’s to late
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

    Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

    Good lord that article is worrying. Saying things like the biggest issues with the game are about diversity and inclusivity? Going on about how The Sims 4 is "a special place" and that everyone should play it because they'll learn about themselves and about life, saying "everyone's lives would be better"? There's a huge section about the pride flag they missed and how essential that was. It's as if the game is nothing more than an agenda at this point. He even says it's "more than just a game". I'm all for escapism and creativity but saying it's going to solve your issues is gross.

    I do find it funny that he says the technical directors working on the game are "terrified" at the prospect of it continuing for a few more years, that's pretty telling. He wants it to go on for another five years!

    They're so out of touch, that's what makes me lose hope.
    DJsVk3j.png
    Simming since 2000
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,347 Member
    No it’s to late
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

    Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

    Good lord that article is worrying. Saying things like the biggest issues with the game are about diversity and inclusivity? Going on about how The Sims 4 is "a special place" and that everyone should play it because they'll learn about themselves and about life, saying "everyone's lives would be better"? There's a huge section about the pride flag they missed and how essential that was. It's as if the game is nothing more than an agenda at this point. He even says it's "more than just a game". I'm all for escapism and creativity but saying it's going to solve your issues is gross.

    I do find it funny that he says the technical directors working on the game are "terrified" at the prospect of it continuing for a few more years, that's pretty telling. He wants it to go on for another five years!

    They're so out of touch, that's what makes me lose hope.

    It sounds like EA is getting 'woke'...

    That only results in one thing when it comes to games.

    Going broke.
    raw
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    I try to have hope and then I read things like that interview with Duke and I get less and less hopeful that they'll ever make any major improvements to the game... :/
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,237 Member
    No it’s to late
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I enjoy this game everyday - so hope is not a part of it. It is a great game and tons of fun. I don't get this need hope stuff. i wish all of my life was as fun as this game - really. I wonder though how sad, empty, or bad someones life is that thinks this is not a great game. Feel sad for you folks I really do -

    How disgustingly rude, vile and crass. So because some people don’t like this game their life is empty, sad or bad? Do you honestly not see how cruel that is? That’s so over the line.

    I’m glad this game is great for you now. But it wasn’t always. I presume prior to January 2017 your life was in the state you mentioned above? No?

    But then as an EA shareholder it’s in your best interest to want EA to bleed fans dry.

    I think that comment of yours is the most underhand, below the belt comment I’ve seen on here ever. Get a grip and accept this game has flaws. Take your precious toddlers out and vampires and then you will hate it too. Why can’t you just accept people don’t like this game? It’s not personal criticism for you.

    Edit to add: Its not even about hating the game. You seem to take personal insult to anyone with a slight criticism Of the game.

    Thank you so much for stating this.
    There are other great responses, too.

    My own take on this - just my own - but, personally, when pressing matters are occurring in "real life" (that we ALL have to deal with) - not the make believe worlds we all love to play in and control (the only place we have control!) - the LAST thing I am thinking of is attacking people on a forum for their needing to voice their opinions on a product they have paid for.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,237 Member
    No it’s to late
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

    5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

    I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

    On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

    I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

    I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

    Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

    ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

    Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

    Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.


    There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.

    Yet still the TS2 sims have actual depth to their personalities unlike the TS4 sims of today.

    Yes that really is mind boggling.

    Yes - it really is!!

    So glad can still play The Sims 2 (and Sims 1 and 3, too).

  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited August 24
    No it’s to late
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

    Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

    Good lord that article is worrying. Saying things like the biggest issues with the game are about diversity and inclusivity? Going on about how The Sims 4 is "a special place" and that everyone should play it because they'll learn about themselves and about life, saying "everyone's lives would be better"? There's a huge section about the pride flag they missed and how essential that was. It's as if the game is nothing more than an agenda at this point. He even says it's "more than just a game". I'm all for escapism and creativity but saying it's going to solve your issues is gross.

    I do find it funny that he says the technical directors working on the game are "terrified" at the prospect of it continuing for a few more years, that's pretty telling. He wants it to go on for another five years!

    They're so out of touch, that's what makes me lose hope.

    It sounds like EA is getting 'woke'...

    That only results in one thing when it comes to games.

    Going broke.

    Why is it nobody is pointing out that the series was always diverse - like I said in an previous post - even the Servos in Sims 2 could "fall in love" with the same sex robot or sim or whatever.

    We've always been able to create whatever skin tone we have wanted, etc.

    Ok - now people can dress their sims with more choices - great. There is more to a life simulation than clothes.

    Why is this the marketing focus and not actual depth of gameplay actions that were once part of the previous versions of this series?

    I think because it is just easier and lazier for them to focus on and to divert attention away from what they have taken away from the game.

    The Sims have always been open to everybody. Even in SimCity 4 - if you closely watch the crowds who gather - there are sims in wheelchairs.

    PS - not asking you Evil One - just using your post as a jumping point for my ramblings... :)
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 3,680 Member
    Yes i feel like this will be fixed
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

    Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

    Good lord that article is worrying. Saying things like the biggest issues with the game are about diversity and inclusivity? Going on about how The Sims 4 is "a special place" and that everyone should play it because they'll learn about themselves and about life, saying "everyone's lives would be better"? There's a huge section about the pride flag they missed and how essential that was. It's as if the game is nothing more than an agenda at this point. He even says it's "more than just a game". I'm all for escapism and creativity but saying it's going to solve your issues is gross.

    I do find it funny that he says the technical directors working on the game are "terrified" at the prospect of it continuing for a few more years, that's pretty telling. He wants it to go on for another five years!

    They're so out of touch, that's what makes me lose hope.

    That's because the technical directors are also responsible for the stability of the game and they're always tweaking it for performance, etc. For them, it probably does cause anxiety because they have to make sure the game supports the numurous DLCs.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,347 Member
    No it’s to late
    Evil_One wrote: »
    Worries not. M. Duke has some thoughts and wishful consideration to extend TS4 for five more years. *Deep tone* yay!

    Oh, and the lack of any public announcement or allusions pertaining of upcoming legacy version leads me to believe got silently dropped/cancelled. No mention of it after it got post-pone, so... will the upgrade even happen?

    Good lord that article is worrying. Saying things like the biggest issues with the game are about diversity and inclusivity? Going on about how The Sims 4 is "a special place" and that everyone should play it because they'll learn about themselves and about life, saying "everyone's lives would be better"? There's a huge section about the pride flag they missed and how essential that was. It's as if the game is nothing more than an agenda at this point. He even says it's "more than just a game". I'm all for escapism and creativity but saying it's going to solve your issues is gross.

    I do find it funny that he says the technical directors working on the game are "terrified" at the prospect of it continuing for a few more years, that's pretty telling. He wants it to go on for another five years!

    They're so out of touch, that's what makes me lose hope.

    It sounds like EA is getting 'woke'...

    That only results in one thing when it comes to games.

    Going broke.

    Why is it nobody is pointing out that the series was always diverse - like I said in an previous post - even the Servos in Sims 2 could "fall in love" with the same sex robot or sim or whatever.

    We've always been able to create whatever skin tone we have wanted, etc.

    Ok - now people can dress their sims with more choices - great. There is more to a life simulation than clothes.

    Why is this the marketing focus and not actual depth of gameplay actions that were once part of the previous versions of this series?

    I think because it is just easier and lazier for them to focus on and to divert attention away from what they have taken away from the game.

    The Sims have always been open to everybody. Even in SimCity 4 - if you closely watch the crowds who gather - there are sims in wheelchairs.

    PS - not asking you Evil One - just using your post as a jumping point for my ramblings... :)

    The ideology that promotes people to 'get woke', is corrupting, ruining and destroying whatever it touches.

    Shallow Diversity of appearance/surface, not of thought (which actually explains a fair bit about TS4) is its primary focus.

    Yes, The Sim games have always been as diverse or as uniform as the player chooses; The whole town/city/world is the players choice, to destroy, change or create as the player wills... all kinds of relationships have always been possible and very few were bothered by it, but it's never enough for them.
    raw
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 66 Member
    No it’s to late
    I thought the part about how it was getting more difficult to test the game now that there's more content was interesting.

    Because there's been a lot of times before when it was quite unmistakable that they didn't even bother.

    From some of the results I've seen in the past, I would love to know what their definition of testing even is.

    I really don't have much hope for a game with that kind of work ethic, though I would love to see the gameplay improve enough to prove me wrong.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,349 Member
    No it’s to late
    Interviews like that are the reason I don't have hope for The Sims 4 to improve. That part about the technical directors looking terrified when he talked about 5 more years of content doesn't make the prospect of 5 more years of content sound promising unless they were joking with the looks.

    I am all for them being inclusive but I still can't help but think all that energy put into making sure there were flags for my lesbian sims to rep themselves and yet still all my sims, lesbians included, lack distinct personalities. Appearance over substance. That's the trend, and even though ROM looks good in the trailer I think that's still going to be the trend. And it's not even just about appearances as far as how the game looks either, but about how the team wants the game to be perceived which makes the good things they've done on behalf of inclusion and diversity feel a bit disingenuous because it's not something that they ever didn't do they just didn't make a that big a deal of it. Now it's a talking point to ride a wave of popularity, like they have to point out that they were into being cool before being cool was cool.

    Them implementing certain features are logical to me considering this day and age, of course some of the improvements he listed were going to happen, but they lack a balance or evenness so to speak. All the focus seems to be on the (not so) new, inclusive play, making everyone feel accepted. They can pat themselves on the back for that, it's a good thing and they should feel good about it. But the other things that made The Sims games good in addition to inclusiveness have been put on the backburner or just set aside entirely instead of being improved as well. Heck, some of them didn't even come into The Sims 4 as good as they used to be and they happen to be the main problems that need to be addressed. Yeah, players can, for the most part, visually be whoever they want to be but depending on who it is we want to be in this game it's a struggle because poor personalities, because nonsensical emotions, because lack of options, because lack of depth. There are tons of more things they could do or add that they have and haven't done before to aide all players in telling their stories.
    vQfKOG8.jpg
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 61 Member
    I would like more clarification on what is wrong with the personalities, because that's one of my favorite things about them, is that their personalities seem to have hidden dimensions, so that just adding all the same user-directed traits and features, still won't make two Sims interchangeable. And some couples just have great chemistry and some don't, and you can't really predict that, but have to experience it. So...fill me in on the problems with personality?
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,349 Member
    No it’s to late
    @Nushnushganay I'll just quote what @PrincipleOfEntropy posted a couple of pages earlier since it's detailed and put it in spoilers to save space, but this explains a lot of what those of us who have issues with Sims 4 personalities and emotions are talking about.
    Lquinn wrote: »
    First, a very quick history. I played the Sims 1, liked it, but found it frustrating and quit. Did not play Sims 2, but played Sims 3 on console, did not like it so I quit. I love the Sims 4.

    So, I don't understand the question (or poll), but I have read an awfull lot of discussion concerning the topic, and have been very curious about it all.

    Can someone explain to me how personalities were better, how there were more consequences, and how Sims had better emotions. I ask in all seriousness.

    Thanks to all who answer.

    First of all, emotions worked better in The Sims 3. Maxis says that 4 is the first to have emotions but that's an outright lie. In 3, traits determined a Sim's personality and how they responded to situations. In 4, all Sims respond exactly the same to all emotions. Traits have no bearing on that whatsoever.
    Emotions.png

    Then you've got Create A Sim, which in 3 had more options for creating unique Sims with more in depth personalities than in 4.
    Create-A-Sim.png

    Then there's The Sims and The Sims 2 which had interests and two sided relationships. Sims could feel different about each other and they didn't share a relationship bar, they had their own individual ones. Interests added tonnes of depth - you could watch your Sim grow and change over the course of their lifetimes. Interests determined what Sims did autonomously, what they liked to talk about and who they would get along with.
    Interests.png

    The Sims in previous games had leagues more depth than they do in 4, hands down.
    Traits also had far more depth. Take any trait from The Sims 3 and compare it to The Sims 4 and this is what you get.

    3vs4-Evil.png

    3vs4-Family-Oriented.png

    3vs4-Good.png

    Meanwhile an entire page of traits in The Sims 4 is essentially worthless due to how it's all moodlet based play now.

    Worthless.png
    vQfKOG8.jpg
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited August 25
    I don’t know i hope so
    All of the traits provided in The Sims 4 basically affects emotions and not personality. This is why every single Sim can be seen as identical.

    ( I really wish I could change my poll vote )
    OriginID: hestiah23 | Showcase
    jfIpSFy.png
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top